Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Expendables 2 
Post Expendables 2
Just saw the trailer on IGN, and there's not enough words in the English language to describe how excited I am to see this film, see for yourselves: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/03/expendables-2-trailer-2?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm
Post Re: Expendables 2
You have to hand it to them: they know their audience, and they're hell-bent on delivering exactly what that audience wants.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am
less excited then last time. Still, looks like fun.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:55 am
Yeah, this looks like it could be a good time. I just sincerely hope that the rumors about this being PG-13 aren't true. The mayhem from the trailer does look pretty R-rated but looks can deceive.

Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm
Well I just was wondering how young(er) audiences buy into 60+ year old guys posing as 40+ year old action heroes. Guys like Sly and Arnie have been around for so long, and they looked very different when they were in their 30s and 40s - I just can't buy it anymore, but that's just me. For some reason the only one I still find believable (judging from the trailer) is Bruce Willis. I think it's a combination of him being bald, as opposed to "working around" his hair problem, more at ease and more detached (= not playing a soldier/mercenary action hero).
For some strange reason I still admire Stallone for (apparently) still doing his thing - with this production and with his role - throwing himself into the action with his usual going-for-broke-take-no-prisoners approach, with some variation of dispair thrown in for good measure. I wonder if he still rings a "I just can't help it but deep inside I want to be exactly like him" with younger audiences or if its a thing that works for various generations in different ways. Somebody please fill me in? I am not going to see this. Back in the 80s I watched just about everything from Sly, Arnie, Bruce and a hell lot of Van Damme - I overdosed on these guys more than enough....

Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Well I just was wondering how young(er) audiences buy into 60+ year old guys posing as 40+ year old action heroes. Guys like Sly and Arnie have been around for so long, and they looked very different when they were in their 30s and 40s - I just can't buy it anymore, but that's just me. For some reason the only one I still find believable (judging from the trailer) is Bruce Willis. I think it's a combination of him being bald, as opposed to "working around" his hair problem, more at ease and more detached.
For some strange reason I still admire Stallone for (apparently) still doing his thing - with this production and with his role - throwing himself into the action with his usual going-for-broke-take-no-prisoners approach, with some variation of dispair thrown in for good measure. I wonder if he still rings a "I just can't help it but deep inside I want to be exactly like him" with younger audiences or if its a thing that works for various generations in different ways. Somebody please fill me in? I am not going to see this. Back in the 80s I watched just about everything from Sly, Arnie, Bruce and a hell lot of Van Damme - I overdosed on these guys more than enough....

I can buy them as action heroes, Sly and Arnie look pretty impressive for their age. I think Expendables appeals on multiple levels, on the one hand it appeals to those who grew up in the 80s and have an affinity for those types of films, on the other hand it appeals to the younger demographic who are only just beginning to go through the filmography of these guys.

P.S. The latest I heard from Stallone is that this film will indeed be rated R, thank goodness.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:22 pm
Vexer wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Well I just was wondering how young(er) audiences buy into 60+ year old guys posing as 40+ year old action heroes. Guys like Sly and Arnie have been around for so long, and they looked very different when they were in their 30s and 40s - I just can't buy it anymore, but that's just me. For some reason the only one I still find believable (judging from the trailer) is Bruce Willis. I think it's a combination of him being bald, as opposed to "working around" his hair problem, more at ease and more detached.

I can buy them as action heroes, Sly and Arnie look pretty impressive for their age. I think Expendables appeals on multiple levels, on the one hand it appeals to those who grew up in the 80s and have an affinity for those types of films, on the other hand it appeals to the younger demographic who are only just beginning to go through the filmography of these guys.

P.S. The latest I heard from Stallone is that this film will indeed be rated R, thank goodness.

Thank goodness indeed; hopefully they'll just edit Chuck Norris' scenes (he's the reason this whole fucking PG-13 brouhaha came up in the first place) but leave everyone else's intact.

Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 pm
oafolay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

Thank goodness indeed; hopefully they'll just edit Chuck Norris' scenes (he's the reason this whole fucking PG-13 brouhaha came up in the first place) but leave everyone else's intact.
I heard that the Chuck Norris thing was just a rumor.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:07 pm
Vexer wrote:

Odd, last I heard about the rating it was still PG-13 or at least Stallone confirming it was going to be PG-13 some months ago. I guess we'll just have to wait for the actual rating.

Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Odd, last I heard about the rating it was still PG-13 or at least Stallone confirming it was going to be PG-13 some months ago. I guess we'll just have to wait for the actual rating.

Here's what I last heard: http://collider.com/expendables-2-rated-r-dolph-lundgren/155802/

Fri May 04, 2012 4:41 pm
Second Unit Director

I would have never expected Harrison Ford and Nicolas Cage to share the screen together....but here they are!

Expendables 3 news

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 am
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
I would have never expected Harrison Ford and Nicolas Cage to share the screen together....but here they are!

Expendables 3 news

Not to mention Jackie Chan and Steven Seagal!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:27 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Expendables 3 news

I thought Seagal dropped out or said no....

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 am
Producer

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Expendables 3 news

Nope, I haven't heard anything about him refusing or dropping out.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 am
Director

Although the first Expendables left something of a sour taste in my mouth, the more I hear about part 2, the more curious become. WIll definitely rent it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm
Second Unit Director

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Expendables 3 news

Here's where it says Seagal wasn't going to be a part of Ex3:

http://collider.com/sylvester-stallone-expendables-3/

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 pm
Producer

That article was written many months ago, but more recent articles have rumored his involvement in the film, like this one:http://www.exflix.blogspot.com/2013/07/gibson-in-bulgarian-news-again-seagal.html

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:27 pm