Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 am

Jobs 
Auteur

Post Re: Jobs
Thief12 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Yeah. Ditto for Kutcher. He can really only play Kelso on That 70's Show, and that got old pretty quick. Still, he looked okay in the trailer, so maybe he'll surprise me like Justin Timberlake did in The Social Network and Alpha Dog.

But Timberlake's "surprise" came more from the prejudiced notion that he would suck, what with being a pop-star and whatnot. He just turned out to be a pretty good actor and surprised us all. Kutcher has had more than a decade to "surprise" us and has failed so far.

Well most were surprised by his turn in Butterfly Effect, it was his performance in that film which prompted me to check out his other films.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
thered47 wrote:
What exactly was so bad about The Butterfly Effect? I thought it was pretty good. I think Kutcher can pull off Jobs, although I'm not holding my breath.

Right, even the people that didn't normally like him at least thought that film was pretty good.

The Butterfly Effect is far and away the best movie Kutcher has been involved in. That director's cut ending.... yikes. Talk about a downer. But it works.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
thered47 wrote:
What exactly was so bad about The Butterfly Effect? I thought it was pretty good. I think Kutcher can pull off Jobs, although I'm not holding my breath.

Right, even the people that didn't normally like him at least thought that film was pretty good.

The Butterfly Effect is far and away the best movie Kutcher has been involved in. That director's cut ending.... yikes. Talk about a downer. But it works.

This is one instance where I can fully understand the studio changing the ending and don't blame them one bit, I can see what the director was going for, but it was just way too nihilistic for me, i'm not a huge fan of overly nihilistic endings in general.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:17 am
Assistant Director

I might concede that he was decent in The Butterfly Effect, even though I think the film wasn't all that great. But still, that's just one film in a career of 12-13 years. I have more reasons to doubt his talents than I have to trust because of one average film.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Kutcher strikes me as someone who could really nail it in the right role and with the right director. Unfortunately, Michael Kelso might be a hard role for him to escape.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Kutcher strikes me as someone who could really nail it in the right role and with the right director.

Al a Sandler in Punch Drunk Love?

On topic: Kutcher's presence definitely dampens any enthusiasm I might have had for this movie.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 am
Producer

Gwaihir wrote:
Al a Sandler in Punch Drunk Love?
Exactly. Or, if you prefer, Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Comedians, even the silliest ones, are often working from real weathers of the soul. It's not hard to see how that can be applied to drama.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 am