Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:50 am

THE SPECTACULAR NOW 
Site Admin

Post THE SPECTACULAR NOW
Click here for the review of The Spectacular Now

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: THE SPECTACULAR NOW
Woodley may very well be on her way to becoming the next Jennifer Lawrence. She will also star as the lead in next year's Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars, both of which are based off of popular YA novels. The latter is a charming coming-of-age story similar to this one, albeit one about two teenagers with cancer who fall in love. Trust me: it's much better than it sounds. It may be a novel for young adults, but it's appeal is universal.

Haven't read Divergent, though. Based on what I've heard, it's like The Hunger Games.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"Shailene Woodley, best known for The Secret Life of the American Teenager and possibly destined to become Mary Jane Watson at some point in the future...."

Wasn't she cast as Mary Jane and actually filmed a few scenes for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before her scenes got cut?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:10 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It's worth noting that Shailene Woodley also starred in The Descendants as the older daughter of the George Clooney character.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:24 pm
Assistant Director

I saw this movie on Wednesday and loved it as well. I'm not familiar with the source material, but I was indeed surprised by the territory this movie took late in the proceedings. The effect is somewhat similar to the final act of Cast Away, where the entire arc of the movie is expanded for the better.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 pm
Cinematographer

They really shot themselves in the feet by cutting out Woodley. She would've brought in a massive audience of Divergent fan-girls had she been included in the final cut. In fact, I was hoping that the sequel might be superior to the original because of her role. Now, it just looks like another lackluster sequel to a terrible first film.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:25 am
Gaffer

I caught this on opening day and LOVED IT! :)

Another great review from James B again, and I definitely felt a bit of classic John Hughes (Pretty In Pink, Breakfast Club, etc.) and Cameron Crowe being channeled here (in a good way). It's refreshing and sobering at times, and left an indelible mark in my memories.

I thought the two young actors, Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley were fantastic (no hyperbole). Truly, spectacular performances. Miles Teller's performance as the main protagonist definitely felt believable and very real. He reminded me of a combination of 2 real-life friends I used to have in high school / college (part jokester, part laid-back party guy / nice guy with problems). I was moved by his performance and touched by his downward spiral in parts of the movie.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought towards the end of the movie, his scene at the bar (after he "no shows / effectively dumps" Aimee), where he tries to justify his actions to a fellow alcoholic drunk was heart-breaking and so well done. It felt REAL.

And Shailene Woodley was equally wonderful in her own way: She comes across as a real, vulnerable "geeky" high school girl, finding her way, and seeing her fall for Sutter Keely was like watching someone in real-life, falling in love for the first time...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
When Aimee and Sutter make love for the first time, her repeated "I love you so much..." felt totally genuine and straight from her heart. You could see her completely in love with Sutter Keely.

I've only seen Shailene as the older daughter in George Clooney's "The Descendants," and I thought she really shined here in "The Spectacular Now."

I would say that there was something slightly (only slightly) unsatisfying about this movie at first, when the credits rolled, and thinking more about it, I think it was...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the fact that a few key events were truncated scenes - like when Aimee gets hit by a car, and we just see a snippet of the aftermath, and then no real long scene and solid resolution by Sutter apologizing to Aimee; also, there's no real scene that shows us Sutter's transformation (cleaning up of his life), we just know that it happens by the end; and the Final Scene with Sutter and Aimee seeing each other and then CUT.

But in the end, like James B points out, I think we already *know* what happens even if they don't show it. I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for more exposition on certain important / meaningful scenes when possible. I would've liked to have at least seen just a bit more before the credits rolled, but overall, it was an excellent movie that I'd recommend catching if you get a chance. :D

Rating: 3.5 Stars (out of 4)

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:46 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
"Shailene Woodley, best known for The Secret Life of the American Teenager and possibly destined to become Mary Jane Watson at some point in the future...."

Wasn't she cast as Mary Jane and actually filmed a few scenes for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before her scenes got cut?

She did film several scenes, all of which were removed from the final version. The latest plan is for Mary Jane to be in installment #3. However, a recast is possible. By that time, Woodley's salary may have skyrocketed beyond what Sony is willing to pay and/or she may be too much in demand. DIVERGENT has the possibility to put her career on amphetamines if it hits big.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

duplicate

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm