Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:13 am

Movies you "loved" or "liked" or thought were good, but... 
Second Unit Director

Post Movies you "loved" or "liked" or thought were good, but...
...which you will never, ever re-watch. Or think you are very unlikely to rewatch. Or at least have no plans to re-watch.

I keep coming across movies while browsing that I loved as a childhood but quickly skip over. The reason is usually because I don't think I will like them as an adult. Ferngully is one of these. I watched it repeatedly as a kid, but every time I come across a reference to it nowadays, it's usually in the context of "worse animated film of all time". That doesn't match my memory of it, but I recall enough of it to think I might not like it very much if I were to re-watch it now.

Then there are movies like Schindler's List that are artistic achievements but whose stories are a little difficult to bear.

I would also throw in Titanic mainly because my memory of seeing it on the big screen was awesome, but I just don't think it will hold up on the small screen (and again, a lot of the criticism focused on elements that wouldn't have stood out as much on the big screen, so there's that). I think someone else mentioned not wanting to see it again for the same reason.

So what other films out there fall into this category for you guys? Don't think the film will work once you know the twist? It's a refrigerator movie, and after you realized all of the plot holes, you think it just won't cut it anymore?

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Movies you "loved" or "liked" or thought were good, but...
There's plenty of movies like this, the kind that are decent, but after seeing them once there is no need to ever see them again. Titanic is such a film. Gandhi is another. So is Gone With the Wind.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm
Auteur

Agreed on Schindler's List, t's a good film but not a very pleasant one to sit through, once was more then enough for me. For Titanic and Gone With The Wind one time was far too many, i'm glad I never saw the former on the big screen, I would've been even more pissed if i'd actually spent money on it.

One film that loses something once you know the twist ahead of time is "Next" with Nicholas Cage, it's a pretty compelling film and boy did that twist shock the hell out of me, but like critic Dustin Putman said, it makes a second viewing useless. There are some films I liked less when I realized how many plot holes they had, like Prometheus.

Still like Ferngully though, it's nowhere near the worst animated film of all time(that honor goes to The Nutcracker in 3-D)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm
Assistant Director

I think I can count the times I've seen Schindler's List with one hand. And I own the film.

I loved Requiem for a Dream and consider it a great film, but I think I've only seen it once or twice.

City of God is another great film I have a hard time rewatching.

More recently, Compliance was a particularly uneasy watch.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Everlasting Moments by Jan Troell. A great movie for what it is, but doesn't have much rewatch value for me. But it's a masterful drama, and a good throwback to older masterful dramas.

Life Aquatic. Good, but...idk, once was enough.

Doctor Zhivago and 2001: Spade Odyssey I'll forever remember these for providing great experiences the first couple times. But it's hard for me to get into them anymore.

Some movies I did like but just have no immediate interest in anymore. Blade Runner, The Matrix, Gattaca. A lot of those sci-fi concepts I guess. Upon rewatches, they all seem too slow, too protracted. I like fast, sharp, stimulating movies, and once I discovered that some movies stay that way forever, it's harder for to return to the ones that don't.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Everlasting Moments by Jan Troell. A great movie for what it is, but doesn't have much rewatch value for me. But it's a masterful drama, and a good throwback to older masterful dramas.

Life Aquatic. Good, but...idk, once was enough.

Doctor Zhivago and 2001: Spade Odyssey I'll forever remember these for providing great experiences the first couple times. But it's hard for me to get into them anymore.

Some movies I did like but just have no immediate interest in anymore. Blade Runner, The Matrix, Gattaca. A lot of those sci-fi concepts I guess. Upon rewatches, they all seem too slow, too protracted. I like fast, sharp, stimulating movies, and once I discovered that some movies stay that way forever, it's harder for to return to the ones that don't.

I'm not a Gattaca fan, but how was the Matrix slow?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 am
Producer

Quote:
I'm not a Gattaca fan, but how was the Matrix slow?

It's fairly long, at over 2 hours. The exposition goes on for a while, and repeats itself a couple times (though it certainly has the right idea for what exposition should be). A lot of scenes just go on for longer than they should. Hard to explain, but the action is still cool. The best scene is when Morpheus confronts Smith. Maybe I need to watch it again. It definitely touches greatness in certain ways and earns its reputation.

EDIT: I've thought about it a little more. The movie kind of lacks a cohesive style because it's only stylish during the action scenes. The talking scenes are shot generically, like any other movie. This sets it at a lower stylistic level than W.S. Anderson's newer Resident Evils imo. That's largely what slows it down for me.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am
Director

Agreed on Requiem For A Dream. It;s a great film no question. However, I doubt I will ever be able to bring myself to watch it again.

Monsters Ball is one I own and consider to be very good. But I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched it.

Ditto for Unforgiven. I own that too and find it to be very well-made and deserving of the acclaim and awards it received in 1992. But I can't bring myself to watch it that often. I like a lot of very dark films (Se7en for instance and (also by Eastwood) Mystic River). But the bleankess in Unforgiven comes very close to nihilism at times and that's probably why I don't watch it that much.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 am
Producer

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Often characterized as the bad one of the trilogy*, its big action setpieces are very worthy, just as immaculately shot and cut as any other top-notch Spielberg adventure flick. But there's something about the whole thing that just seems very slapdash and inconsequential.

Matt Zoller Seitz refers to this one as an expression of id on Spielberg's part--a loose-knit mashup of nightmare images. I prefer to think of it as the one that achieves neither the crystalline cut of the first one nor the big heart of the third. Maybe it's trying for something else, but hell if I know what it is. I don't think it's id. (Indy himself is all the id these films ever needed.) It feels more like it's just marking time until Spielberg and Lucas were ready to make something more coherent.

-

*I know what everyone's thinking about saying in response to this. Hell, it's what I'd say if somebody else said this. But that's because I'm a huge jerk who likes to shatter other people's carefully constructed happiness.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 am
Cinematographer

Like you, Schindler's List and Titanic are two that I thought were good, but won't likely watch again. The Tree of Life and Saving Private Ryan are two I loved, but I doubt I'll ever make any attempt to watch them again. I'm dangerously close to Vexer territory with "Gone With The Wind" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" except that I did give both a second chance - I really do not like either one. Raging Bull and Ben Hur are two more that I thought were good-to-great, but won't watch again .

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 pm
Second Unit Director

I loved Avatar and saw it twice in the theater. I couldn't bear to watch it on a small screen in 2D. I've read too much about this movie and fear that viewing it again will spoil my good memories of it.

Although I own Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I have never watched it other than in the theater. The action just pops off the screen. Much like the above, I feel I may taint my memories of it if I see it again on a small screen.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:32 pm
Director

We discussed this in another thread, but "Schindler's List" isn't nearly as bleak and heavy as it could've been had it been made by filmmaker less prone to sentimentality and whose manipulation tactics are less transparent. :|

Honestly, I can't think of a single title that meets this criterion. I have no intention of ever seeing "Titanic" again, but I can't say 'liked' that movie; I thought it was 'decent' at best.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
We discussed this in another thread, but "Schindler's List" isn't nearly as bleak and heavy as it could've been had it been made by filmmaker less prone to sentimentality and whose manipulation tactics are less transparent. :|

Honestly, I can't think of a single title that meets this criterion. I have no intention of ever seeing "Titanic" again, but I can't say 'liked' that movie; I thought it was 'decent' at best.

Knowing that it could've been more bleak and heavy dosen't make it any easier to sit through, one viewing was plenty for me.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 pm
Producer

Quote:
and fear that viewing it again will spoil my good memories of it.

I begin to understand my opponents more and more every day.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
and fear that viewing it again will spoil my good memories of it.

I begin to understand my opponents more and more every day.

Once you see Avatar in 2-D, you'll realize it's all smoke and mirrors, without the 3-D it's much harder to disguise a paper-thin story with shallow characters.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:20 am
Producer

Quote:
Once you see Avatar in 2-D, you'll realize it's all smoke and mirrors, without the 3-D it's much harder to disguise a paper-thin story with shallow characters

For me, any movie that's no longer good the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or even 15th time is probably a bad movie. A good movie, as Ebert said, seems new every time you watch it. So from my perspective, when I pay 10 bucks to see a movie, I'm not just paying to see it. I'm paying to see whether it will become one of those movies that I watch again and again and again, and think about whether it has that quality. And I think about whether it would be rewarding to watch it with friends and family. The experience I have the first time is never an end-all-be-all. I mean, if I watch the same movie every day it'll get old of course. But a really good movie has to be able to remain fresh watching it every few months. Or else I think there's something wrong with the movie.

I've begun to respect screenwriting 101 courses more and more, because a lot of what they teach has to do with creating that eternal freshness. But pretty much everything factors into it, and it's a really difficult thing to pin down. To be honest, I'm starting to think one viewing isn't enough for anyone to thoroughly judge a movie. I think any movie can be good the first time if you want it to be, depending on the circumstances. And I really think there's an objective psychological reason for that, and that people tend to lose sight of it. The power of hype, positive or negative, can never, ever be overstated. I don't think there's any such thing as a person who isn't susceptible to it to some degree.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 am