Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:15 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2371
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Any site called "womanist-musings" is blatently horseshit

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3310
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
NotHughGrant wrote:
Any site called "womanist-musings" is blatently horseshit

Looks like someone's a closet misogynist, and IMO most of the stuff you've been spewing is blatantly horseshit :lol:


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:39 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3310
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Nothughgrant,

This country has turned into a bunch of pussy liberals. They would rather blame their situation on everyone else but themselves and abuse the system, than put in the hard work it takes to better one self (education, jobs, etc.). It also seems that we have a president that wants this system of abuse to stay right where it is.

I will admit the following though.

First of all, it starts with hood rats having kids out of marriage. Something like 70% of black kids are born into a broken home; this does them no favors. I don't know about you guys, but my parents have been married for over 30 years. They were both born dirt poor (yet they were born to loving married parents). They put in the hard work necessary to put them through school...without any help from the government. They went on to both become successful in their careers and build a family, and instill in their kids (my brother and I) the value of hardwork,education, manners, treating people with respect, etc, etc. I am blaming the lowlifes having these kids that don't teach them any of the common morals and values of society. I would almost venture to say a lot of the kids being born into broken ghetto homes are being borne so that the parents can take more advantage of the government.

But it is the lowlife parents' decisions. They could choose to better themselves, and it has nothing to do with anyone but them. Stop blaming others and put in the hard work necessary. Is it going to be hard? Hell yes. Would it be easier for a white man? Maybe. Nothing in life worth having is easy though, so stop complaining. It just sucks that while it isn't the kids faults, they are learning from their disgusting parents, and the cycle continues.

Here is a nice story of what hard work can do. A family friend started working as a bag boy in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store when he was 13 years old. He didn't care what it seemed like to other people, he wanted to learn business and make money, and put in the hard work necessary to do so. By the time he graduated high school, he made assistant manager. He decided college wasnt for him, and kept working at the store, busting his ass and sometimes working 80-90 hour weeks....yet learning all he could. Now?

He owns 20 piggly wiggly stores, two distribution centers, numerous radio stations, and real estate all over the south east. He is worth around $80 million. That too hard work; no one gave it too him...maybe he got lucky with a deal here and there, but he made that happen for himself. How many people are willing to do that today, with the changing ideals it seems our country is going through?

You are a racist POS you know that? :evil: I'm sick of this "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" conservative BS, not everyone can do that. You're the one who's a lowlife, i'm guessing you agree with Frank Miller's opinions on Occupy Wall Street as well? Unfortunately not EVERYONE is as lucky as you, most marriages don't last for 30 years anymore. IMO, Obama is a far better man then you will ever be. The tea party are the ones who are dragging this country into the ground by putting greed over everything else and setting rights back 50 years with draconian laws.


Typical Liberal thinking.

How am I racist? If somebody likes stealing cars, drugs, ghetto life, then that person is a hood rat or crack smoker, plain and simple. A hoodrat or crack smoker can be black, white, yellow, red, green or purple. There are plenty of white meth heads that abuse the system too...and they shouldn't be having kids either.

And why don't most marriages last 30 years anymore? If you can't work everyday to make your marriage last, then why get married? Why take the vow "until death"? Why have kids if you can't support them, teach them, care for them, and love them? If I lived in the ghetto cracked out of my mind, I would be ashamed to have children, knowing that they would be born into a bad situation. Now some people do have a run of bad luck, and need government assistance to get back on their feet; and that is precisely what the programs are designed for: to help people in need while they deal with their situation.

KWRoss wrote:
Get 'em, Vex. Get 'em.

But you took the words right out of my mouth. Not everyone can pull themselves up without a little help. Those who abuse government programs are certainly guilty of mooching, but no system is foolproof.

You know, roastbeef, your argument sounds familiar. Why, I believe ive seen it before in late 2011. Here's a refresher. http://www.womanist-musings.com/2011/12 ... .html#more

And judging by both your generalizations here and the "slam pieces" comments in that other topic, it sounds like you have an awful lot of pent up anger toward minorities and women. I'd seek therapy if I were you.


Also, yes, I believe anyone with enough hard work can improve their situation. You know what definitely WILL NOT improve your situation? Not trying and being lazy while already accepting defeat. "Ohhh...jeezzz louise, the system is already against me so I'm just going to call it a day and not try...there is nothing I can do."

That line of thinking is pathetic, and I have no sympathy for you if you refuse to put forth an effort because "the system is unjust."

Typical conservative "poor people are nothing but leeches" bullshit ranting :roll: You sound an awful lot like the main villain in that movie "The Purge"

as for why most marriages don't last long, see the Penn and Teller Bullshit episode "The Business of love" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyyIKU6d8YM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR-iw0JfswM


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Vex,

I don't think that poor people are leeches on society. I think laziness is an epidemic and anyone that is not willing to work hard is a leech on society. How can someone better themselves if they don't put forth an effort and try? And I'm not just talking strictly about money. How can someone learn if they don't try? How can someone increase one's quality of life if one isn't willing to roll up his sleeves and work hard? There is literally no help for you and those that think like you.

I really want you to answer that question. If someone of lesser means doesn't work hard, doesn't make an effort, doesn't try to do anything but remain a "victim", how is that person ever supposed to climb out of one's predicament? Are you saying that person can't? Are you saying it is impossible, so that person should continue to not do anything?


Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3310
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vex,

I don't think that poor people are leeches on society. I think laziness is an epidemic and anyone that is not willing to work hard is a leech on society. How can someone better themselves if they don't put forth an effort and try? And I'm not just talking strictly about money. How can someone learn if they don't try? How can someone increase one's quality of life if one isn't willing to roll up his sleeves and work hard? There is literally no help for you and those that think like you.

I really want you to answer that question. If someone of lesser means doesn't work hard, doesn't make an effort, doesn't try to do anything but remain a "victim", how is that person ever supposed to climb out of one's predicament? Are you saying that person can't? Are you saying it is impossible, so that person should continue to not do anything?

Of course people should try to better themselves and shouldn't just give up, but I get the impression that you believe that most poor people are lazy. Obviously it's not impossible, but you can try your hardest and still fail miserably, which is the case for many people in poor neighborhoods, the odds are already heavily stacked against them, the harsh reality is that several of them will not succeed no matter how hard they try. So while i'm sure there are some people who are too lazy to try and better themselves, I don't believe the majority are like that at all.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Everybody take a stress pill.

Nobody here is a racist. While there are people on this forum whom I've disagreed with about this and that, I'd rather hear their arguments out than brand their arguments as corrupt from the start.

I do think that some of the comments made here are a tacit admission that what I was talking about does exist.

For example, the suggestion that one of the things problematic to black people is drug use... and really, guys, this was obviously going to raise a red flag as soon as it came up.

Compare the rate of drug use from race to race (very nearly equal!), then compare the rate of drug-related incarceration from race to race (very much unequal!) and the enormous discrepancy speaks for itself. In a very ironic way, yes, drugs are more of a black problem--not because black people use them more, but because they're disproportionately punished for it. Let us not overlook what this implies.

Also, the remarks that the determining factors between failure and success are laziness and hard work. I'm not going to deny the role that they play, because we must do for ourselves what we can, but this sounds dangerously close to suggesting that we live in a meritocracy. Unless you guys are trying to turn this thread into satire, we can safely leave this line of thinking where it is and move on. Nobody ends up where they are in this society without a healthy dose of vitamin circumstance. That fact must be respected, by and for everybody.

This ties right into what I said before. I do think it's on black people to educate themselves, to organize, to become stewards of their communities--not out of blame, but simply because nobody else is stepping up to the plate. I can't stress this enough: things like fault, blame, and other brands of fingerpointing are all academic.

Hell, it took 100s of years to brew the current situation. Logically, that would seem to indicate that it should take 100s of years to get past it, but does anybody think it's going to take that long? Will it be 100s of years before our celebrities, our presidents, and our CEOs share the same racial makeup as our society as a whole? I don't think so. In my observation, the rate of progress moves much faster than the oppression that necessitates that progress in the first place.

And yet, there is much to overcome. So much of the problem exists below the waterline. The way we talk, behave, and interact with one another in our daily lives, the way our media delivers content to us, is all so casually strewn with unexamined assumptions that it seems impossible to notice them all.

Consider the two unrelated news stories about elementary school boys who stole their parents' cars and went joyriding. In one incident, the thief was white. He was treated like an adorable little scamp who caused a little harmless mischief. He was the subject of an obnoxiously cloying interview with Meredith Viera. In the other, the thief was black. His story was a CNN headline, and there was talk of prosecuting him for grand theft, despite the fact that he was only seven at the time. One is naive and cute, the other is a thief whom the authorities, by their own admission, want to "get into the system" as early as possible.

Consider the controversy that erupted over a Cheerios commercial in which an otherwise completely traditional family is revealed to have a white mother and a black father. The fact that anybody was bothered by this at all is ludicrous, but the lid came off the can of worms when the demographic data was revealed. According to consumer surveys, most demographics enjoyed the commercial for its nonchalant depiction of a wholesome biracial family. Those who responded negatively were predominantly male, white, and aged 50 or older. Why did it bother them so? And why did the initial coverage of the controversy decline to mention the strict demographic lines that the objections occurred along? This backlash directed at the depiction of an interracial pairing in our media seems remarkably out of step with our times, but let's consider the way our movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. have generally avoided romantic pairings of black men and white women. It might just be that the problem is larger and longer in the making than just a handful of cranks and weirdos.

And then there's everybody's favorite media incident in 2004 when two separate photo headlines from the Hurricane Katrina coverage described a white New Orleans citizen as "finding" supplies and a black citizen as "looting" supplies. I won't elaborate.

We could object to these examples, rationalize them, explain away the ineluctable racial component. Or, we could try to do better. All of us. Our first, best line of defense against inequality of any stripe is to be constantly on the lookout for unexamined assumptions--chiefly our own. Assumptions can be very self-serving or self-defeating. We must police ourselves constantly, check ourselves when we're doing or saying something that slides by on an intuitive response or a stereotype. Remember what Yoda said about taking the quick and easy path. Treating anyone based on first impressions, even if it's just in the back of your mind, is the quick and easy path around having to think carefully about stuff and about people. It's the least we can do, on our puny little personal level, to keep our society moving forward.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:49 pm
Profile
Online
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1510
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
And why don't most marriages last 30 years anymore? If you can't work everyday to make your marriage last, then why get married? Why take the vow "until death"? Why have kids if you can't support them, teach them, care for them, and love them?


I don't think there is one universal reason why so many marriages fail nowadays. I have a few theories. One is that many people get married in a burst of romantic euphoria. When that fades out, there's nothing left. Or a lot of times people get married young and later on realize they're not as compatible as they initially thought.

Re: "Hood rats". Are there people of that type out there? Yes there are. Always have been always will be. There's always gonna be gangsters and criminals.

Are there black thugs out there? Yes. I've seen some. Some of them are teenagers in serious need of discipline. Some are adults in serious need of prison time.

But the majority of the black people i know, the ones I consder to be friends, are not like that. In fact, many of them are church-going types. Most of them came from a good fmaily background.

I agree with an assessment offered by black conservative Larry Elder that a good majority of the problems in America can be traced to the illegitimacy epidemic and the breakdown of the traditional family unit. I have more respect for this than I do for the social conservatives who scream that religion is the solution to everything.

Ken wrote:
I do think that some of the comments made here are a tacit admission that what I was talking about does exist.

For example, the suggestion that one of the things problematic to black people is drug use... and really, guys, this was obviously going to raise a red flag as soon as it came up.

Compare the rate of drug use from race to race (very nearly equal!), then compare the rate of drug-related incarceration from race to race (very much unequal!) and the enormous discrepancy speaks for itself. In a very ironic way, yes, drugs are more of a black problem--not because black people use them more, but because they're disproportionately punished for it. Let us not overlook what this implies.

Also, the remarks that the determining factors between failure and success are laziness and hard work. I'm not going to deny the role that they play, because we must do for ourselves what we can, but this sounds dangerously close to suggesting that we live in a meritocracy. Unless you guys are trying to turn this thread into satire, we can safely leave this line of thinking where it is and move on. Nobody ends up where they are in this society without a healthy dose of vitamin circumstance. That fact must be respected, by and for everybody.

This ties right into what I said before. I do think it's on black people to educate themselves, to organize, to become stewards of their communities--not out of blame, but simply because nobody else is stepping up to the plate. I can't stress this enough: things like fault, blame, and other brands of fingerpointing are all academic.

Hell, it took 100s of years to brew the current situation. Logically, that would seem to indicate that it should take 100s of years to get past it, but does anybody think it's going to take that long? Will it be 100s of years before our celebrities, our presidents, and our CEOs share the same racial makeup as our society as a whole? I don't think so. In my observation, the rate of progress moves much faster than the oppression that necessitates that progress in the first place.

And yet, there is much to overcome. So much of the problem exists below the waterline. The way we talk, behave, and interact with one another in our daily lives, the way our media delivers content to us, is all so casually strewn with unexamined assumptions that it seems impossible to notice them all.

Consider the two unrelated news stories about elementary school boys who stole their parents' cars and went joyriding. In one incident, the thief was white. He was treated like an adorable little scamp who caused a little harmless mischief. He was the subject of an obnoxiously cloying interview with Meredith Viera. In the other, the thief was black. His story was a CNN headline, and there was talk of prosecuting him for grand theft, despite the fact that he was only seven at the time. One is naive and cute, the other is a thief whom the authorities, by their own admission, want to "get into the system" as early as possible.

Consider the controversy that erupted over a Cheerios commercial in which an otherwise completely traditional family is revealed to have a white mother and a black father. The fact that anybody was bothered by this at all is ludicrous, but the lid came off the can of worms when the demographic data was revealed. According to consumer surveys, most demographics enjoyed the commercial for its nonchalant depiction of a wholesome biracial family. Those who responded negatively were predominantly male, white, and aged 50 or older. Why did it bother them so? And why did the initial coverage of the controversy decline to mention the strict demographic lines that the objections occurred along? This backlash directed at the depiction of an interracial pairing in our media seems remarkably out of step with our times, but let's consider the way our movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. have generally avoided romantic pairings of black men and white women. It might just be that the problem is larger and longer in the making than just a handful of cranks and weirdos.

And then there's everybody's favorite media incident in 2004 when two separate photo headlines from the Hurricane Katrina coverage described a white New Orleans citizen as "finding" supplies and a black citizen as "looting" supplies. I won't elaborate.

We could object to these examples, rationalize them, explain away the ineluctable racial component. Or, we could try to do better. All of us. Our first, best line of defense against inequality of any stripe is to be constantly on the lookout for unexamined assumptions--chiefly our own. Assumptions can be very self-serving or self-defeating. We must police ourselves constantly, check ourselves when we're doing or saying something that slides by on an intuitive response or a stereotype. Remember what Yoda said about taking the quick and easy path. Treating anyone based on first impressions, even if it's just in the back of your mind, is the quick and easy path around having to think carefully about stuff and about people. It's the least we can do, on our puny little personal level, to keep our society moving forward.


Agreed here. The drug war part especially. I've long been an opponent of the drug war because it's unwinnable.

One thing I've learned in the 35 years I've been on this earth is that the world is a complex places with infinite shades of grey as opposed to the black and white (pun intended) favored by demagogues on both sides.

As for where race relations are right now: I don't agree at all with the likes of Sharpton who believe nothing has changed since 1965. But I can't quite get 100% with Elder and Sowell's argument that it's almost a non-issue. We're closer to that than we were in 65. But we're not there yet.

The past cannot be erased sadly and I wish it could. In some ways I wonder: America has always been a multicultural society. But in some ways that seems to be seen by certain people as a curse rather than a blessing. To me, it's the other way around.

The institutional racism that was prevalent in the post-civil war America and continued through the Jim Crow era may have been greatly diminished. But it seems that there's a large segment of white America that's not racist per se. But fears multiculturalism.

Why they fear it, I'm not sure. Do they fear that American culture itself will fade away? Are they caught up in an idealized view of the past?

Not sure how to end this except to re0iterate that I agree with Ken's basic point.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:07 am
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7217
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
I felt like I should say, as the only moderator still active on the site, that I'm not touching this thread or any ones like it. If you interrupt a movie discussion with this stuff, I'll move it to a different thread or delete it, but since this was posted in an Open Forum, you boys can do what you like.

Consider this Somalia. No real law or government, and so people get hurt.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
It's Hamsterdam.



Please tell me somebody gets this reference.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 371
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Ken wrote:
It's Hamsterdam.



Please tell me somebody gets this reference.


Oh, indeed.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 am
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7217
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Shade2 wrote:
Ken wrote:
It's Hamsterdam.



Please tell me somebody gets this reference.


Oh, indeed.


Anybody want to get some Honey Nut Cheerios?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:56 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2371
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Any site called "womanist-musings" is blatently horseshit

Looks like someone's a closet misogynist, :lol:


Busted. Despite having a Grandma, a Mum, 2 Sisters, a Wife, and a Daughter. But yeah, I hate those goddam wimmin!

Quote:
and IMO most of the stuff you've been spewing is blatantly horseshit


And yet you don't debate it

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3310
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Any site called "womanist-musings" is blatently horseshit

Looks like someone's a closet misogynist, :lol:


Busted. Despite having a Grandma, a Mum, 2 Sisters, a Wife, and a Daughter. But yeah, I hate those goddam wimmin!

Quote:
and IMO most of the stuff you've been spewing is blatantly horseshit


And yet you don't debate it

And you haven't debated any of the stuff said on that site that you claimed was "horseshit", you just immediately wrote it off, so i'm taking whatever you say with a grain of salt.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2371
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Ken -


Quote:
Compare the rate of drug use from race to race (very nearly equal!), then compare the rate of drug-related incarceration from race to race (very much unequal!) and the enormous discrepancy speaks for itself. In a very ironic way, yes, drugs are more of a black problem--not because black people use them more, but because they're disproportionately punished for it. Let us not overlook what this implies.


It implies a few things, I agree. Firstly, there are many different kinds of drug use. And the different kinds will have different relationships with anti-social behavour. The numbers on imprisonment are interesting, and hint at bias, or dare I say it ... racism. But it's not all the police's fault. If ghettos produce more crime than middle-class suburbs, then the police are going to be more involved in the ghettos. That means that a random person (Mr Smith) is going to be more at risk of getting caught smoking a crack-pipe on the streets of Watts than he is next his swimming pool in Beverely Hills. But this isn't racism, it's just proximity to other felonies that attracts the attentions of law enforcement to the area. You could argue that it is unfair, and I see the point, but what can you do? It's not an argument for the guy in Watts to say "yeah, I was smoking crack, but so is that rich bastard on his private estate, and he hasn't been caught".

Quote:
Also, the remarks that the determining factors between failure and success are laziness and hard work. I'm not going to deny the role that they play, because we must do for ourselves what we can, but this sounds dangerously close to suggesting that we live in a meritocracy. Unless you guys are trying to turn this thread into satire, we can safely leave this line of thinking where it is and move on. Nobody ends up where they are in this society without a healthy dose of vitamin circumstance. That fact must be respected, by and for everybody.


I don't believe for a minute we live in a meritocracy. But I just don't believe being black alone is the biggest handicap. Being a black gangbanger, who speaks in street-lingo and wears his trousers around his knees is more-or-less a 100% indicator of a life of poverty and ignorance. But being black alone isn't. Being born poor of any race is the number one pre-determining factor. Interestingly, in the UK, there is a significant white-underclass community going the same way as this.


Quote:
This ties right into what I said before. I do think it's on black people to educate themselves, to organize, to become stewards of their communities--not out of blame, but simply because nobody else is stepping up to the plate. I can't stress this enough: things like fault, blame, and other brands of fingerpointing are all academic.


Agreed. Because even if it were desirable for other communites to do it on their behalf - it isn't possible.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 197
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Ken, your recent musings about the media treatment of the two thieves, reminded me of a video I watched recently. It's a hidden camera style experiment that aired on ABC. They planted two bicycle thieves -white and black, dressed almost identically - in the middle of a local park. And then recorded what people did. The results are interesting.... but sadly, not entirely unexpected. Then at the end, as if for kicks and giggles, they throw a hot blonde bike thief into the mix. That's when it really starts getting ridiculous! :roll: Now I do realize that this is one particular location at one particular point in time and the filmmakers can edit it to more heavily push their point, etc etc, but I think it does a sufficient job of showing that racial profiling is all too alive and well... and very much real. If anything it invites some intense personal introspection. What would I do? What would you do?

http://www.upworthy.com/know-anyone-that-thinks-racial-profiling-is-exaggerated-watch-this-and-tell-me-when-your-jaw-drops-2?g=2

What do you think?


Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 972
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Quote:
The institutional racism that was prevalent in the post-civil war America and continued through the Jim Crow era may have been greatly diminished. But it seems that there's a large segment of white America that's not racist per se. But fears multiculturalism.


Jeff Wilder hit this one right on the nose. As some of you know, I live in Maryland and graduated from Towson University. In the fall of last year, a student at that school formed the White Student Union, which isn't so much blatantly racist as it is fearing multiculturalism. Just google the name and check out the stories. A concentrated effort to step up nighttime security to stop the "black crime wave." The assumption that "white Christian womanhood" and "whiteness" in general is under attack. And the remark by the group's founder that maybe slavery wasn't so bad.

Towson doesn't officially recognize WSU as a campus group, but they can't shut them down either. Hey, I'm not one to destroy freedom of speech. But if you use that freedom to espouse something stupid and ignorant, we reserve the right to rip you a new asshole for it.

And yes, Taleswapper, I've seen that video too. Obviously, opponents can make the claim that the whole thing was staged and that EVERYONE in the video was in on it, but it just didn't feel that way to me.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3310
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
KWRoss wrote:
Quote:
The institutional racism that was prevalent in the post-civil war America and continued through the Jim Crow era may have been greatly diminished. But it seems that there's a large segment of white America that's not racist per se. But fears multiculturalism.


Jeff Wilder hit this one right on the nose. As some of you know, I live in Maryland and graduated from Towson University. In the fall of last year, a student at that school formed the White Student Union, which isn't so much blatantly racist as it is fearing multiculturalism. Just google the name and check out the stories. A concentrated effort to step up nighttime security to stop the "black crime wave." The assumption that "white Christian womanhood" and "whiteness" in general is under attack. And the remark by the group's founder that maybe slavery wasn't so bad.

Towson doesn't officially recognize WSU as a campus group, but they can't shut them down either. Hey, I'm not one to destroy freedom of speech. But if you use that freedom to espouse something stupid and ignorant, we reserve the right to rip you a new asshole for it.

And yes, Taleswapper, I've seen that video too. Obviously, opponents can make the claim that the whole thing was staged and that EVERYONE in the video was in on it, but it just didn't feel that way to me.

Sounds like the WSU has the same level of crazy as the Westboro Baptist Church.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:37 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 197
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
This entire thread reminds me of a segment on the Daily Show the other night when John Oliver (filling in for Jon Stewart) was starting a discussion on race relations with Larry Wilmore, the "senior black correspondent." Larry immediately started his end with "Fuck you, John!" Then he apologized. "Sorry, that's usually how these discussions start." And then at the end, John tried to steer the discussion to guns. "Fuck you, John!" Larry retorted. "Sorry, those discussions usually start that way, too." :)

But I mention it because it's true, isn't it? Look at the general tone of these past four pages. But of course, it didn't help that the OP's original post had that ol, "Fuck you!" spirit to begin with. So much for civil discourse, eh?


Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
It did just occur to me that the line I referenced from 2001 is said after the character saying it has just tried to murder the character he's saying it to.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 972
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Vexer wrote:
Sounds like the WSU has the same level of crazy as the Westboro Baptist Church.


Nobody has the same level as WBC. Picketing funerals? "Thank God for Dead Soldiers"? That's about as evil as it gets.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr