Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
I would also like to point out the media's hand in political correctness, and how it is ruining real conversation or debate. People are so scared of being labelled a racist, or homophobe, or sexist etc, that real conversation about issues can't progress.

Did anyone watch Dr. Ben Carson's keynote speech at a national prair breakfast earlier this year? Carson, a black, conservative, educated, renowned surgeon completely upstages Obama (who is sitting right behind him). He comments on economic policy, healthcare, and goes on to say how political correctness is ruining this country. It is one of the better, honest speeches I have seen in a long time.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/8/conservative-ben-carson-speech-upstages-obama-pray/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfGm919A9o

Back to the Zimmerman trial, it is awful that now, after he is acquitted, the fed is looking to pursue civil rights charges against him, even after an investigation by the FBI already told the justice department they found no evidence of racial profiling...and this goes back to political correctness: if I see a person late at night in a hoody walking through yards in a neighborhood that has had recent burglaries, that person looks suspicious. I don't care if that person turns out to be black,mwhite, Asian, Hispanic. I Shouldn't and don't care what "it looks like...as if I'm profiling"...if a person looks suspicious, I am calling the cops and confronting that person.

Just like if a person looks suspicious on an airplane; I don't care if that person is white or appears "middle eastern,"...I have a job to do in making sure suspicious people don't get on that plane (if I'm a security guard, policeman, etc), regardless of how it may appear.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I would also like to point out the media's hand in political correctness, and how it is ruining real conversation or debate. People are so scared of being labelled a racist, or homophobe, or sexist etc, that real conversation about issues can't progress.

Did anyone watch Dr. Ben Carson's keynote speech at a national prair breakfast earlier this year? Carson, a black, conservative, educated, renowned surgeon completely upstages Obama (who is sitting right behind him). He comments on economic policy, healthcare, and goes on to say how political correctness is ruining this country. It is one of the better, honest speeches I have seen in a long time.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/8/conservative-ben-carson-speech-upstages-obama-pray/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfGm919A9o

Back to the Zimmerman trial, it is awful that now, after he is acquitted, the fed is looking to pursue civil rights charges against him, even after an investigation by the FBI already told the justice department they found no evidence of racial profiling...and this goes back to political correctness: if I see a person late at night in a hoody walking through yards in a neighborhood that has had recent burglaries, that person looks suspicious. I don't care if that person turns out to be black,mwhite, Asian, Hispanic. I Shouldn't and don't care what "it looks like...as if I'm profiling"...if a person looks suspicious, I am calling the cops and confronting that person.

Just like if a person looks suspicious on an airplane; I don't care if that person is white or appears "middle eastern,"...I have a job to do in making sure suspicious people don't get on that plane (if I'm a security guard, policeman, etc), regardless of how it may appear.

It's "awful" that people are trying to pursue civil charges against Zimmerman? Give me a break, he did this to himself and has it coming, since he didn't get sent to jail for manslaughter like he should have, at the very least he should get charged for this, it's not about "political correctness" it's about justice, i'm not one bit convinced that he's not racist. There was nothing remotely suspicious about what Martin was doing :roll:

Oh yeah and that speech didn't impress me one bit, Carson is no better then Herman Cain.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm
Second Unit Director

You're not convinced Zimmerman isn't racist? Going by the evidence that we have, Martin is the only one to have used racial epitaphs in calling Zimmerman a "cracka."

CNBC tried to alter the 911 call by Zimmerman (with careful editing) to make it sound like he was racial profiling, but they were caught and now are more than likely going to get sued by Zimmerman.

He wasn't doing anything suspicious? As I said, this goes back to political correctness. I'm sorry, but if I see a dark figure in the shadows wearing a hoody that I don't recognize...I'm going to make some inquirie, I don't care if it seems like I'm racial profiling or not. That seems suspicios to me. If my mom saw a figure walking through her yard late at night, she would definitely call the cops.

Along with the rest of the country vex, it seems as though you already had your mind made up and nothing can change that.

And his speech didn't impress you? Really? He impressed me more in those 30 min than Obama has in the past 5 years.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
You're not convinced Zimmerman isn't racist? Going by the evidence that we have, Martin is the only one to have used racial epitaphs in calling Zimmerman a "cracka."

CNBC tried to alter the 911 call by Zimmerman (with careful editing) to make it sound like he was racial profiling, but they were caught and now are more than likely going to get sued by Zimmerman.

He wasn't doing anything suspicious? As I said, this goes back to political correctness. I'm sorry, but if I see a dark figure in the shadows wearing a hoody that I don't recognize...I'm going to make some inquirie, I don't care if it seems like I'm racial profiling or not. That seems suspicios to me. If my mom saw a figure walking through her yard late at night, she would definitely call the cops.

Along with the rest of the country vex, it seems as though you already had your mind made up and nothing can change that.

And his speech didn't impress you? Really? He impressed me more in those 30 min than Obama has in the past 5 years.

So just because he's wearing a hoodie and black he's automatically a suspect? :roll:

Personally i'm not the least bit offended by the term "cracker" I find it more funny then offensive.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Admit that nothing Obama does could impress you.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Crosby is half-right. Only I'm not responsible for shootings that occur in Chicago, or LA, or Harlem. Neither are you. Today's black people aren't responsible for the blacks who sold their fellow blacks into slavery. The high-acheiving Afro-carrabean Blacks aren't responsible for the considerably lower performing multi-generation American Blacks. Black-British emigrants to Silicon Valley aren't responsible for gang rapes in Miami. As Thomas Sewell pointed out years ago, Black communities that didn't grow up with the unique victim-stoking culture of American Blacks went on to do far better, and far quicker.

This is not what I'm talking about. To say that you or I somehow caused shootings or slavery is ludicrous. What I'm saying is that some of us are beneficiaries of certain privileges in this world and some of us are not, in ways both fathomable and unfathomable. That world may have been that way when we got to it, but we're still living within that complex web of advantages and disadvantages. We don't exist in a vacuum apart from our history. It is very nearly as ludicrous to suggest that the way we treat each other and the obstacles that some of us disproportionately have to face have nothing to do with that history.

And of course it isn't fair... but again, fairness has nothing to do with it. It's the same reason white people aren't allowed to use the N-word: its effects still linger. It is a social sin of our ancestors that we inherited.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
if I see a person late at night in a hoody walking through yards in a neighborhood that has had recent burglaries, that person looks suspicious. I don't care if that person turns out to be black,mwhite, Asian, Hispanic. I Shouldn't and don't care what "it looks like...as if I'm profiling"...if a person looks suspicious, I am calling the cops and confronting that person.

What if it's 7PM and that person is wearing a hoodie because it's the middle of winter?

And why in the world would you take it upon yourself to confront that person? What good is going to come of it?

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Is Zimmerman a member of the KKK? Is he an advocate for white purity? Does he host a reactionary talk radio show? To the best of my knowledge, no, no, and no.

But what people have to understand is that you don't necessarily have to be those things in order to have a very different reaction to people based on their race, especially in circumstances that are ripe to arouse your suspicion--such as when you've got your gat, you're on self-appointed neighborhood patrol, and you're primed to find some criminals.

As I said before, the color of your skin affects the way people treat you. The reverse is also true.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:29 pm
Director

Ken and Vexer get gold stars here. Btw Ken, have you ever read womanist-musings.com? Great site that echoes a lot of what you've said on here and some of the other forums about white privilege and how racism doesn't have to be overt and outwardly nasty for it to exist.

But lets say Zimmerman really thought Martin was acting suspicious. Okay, he should have stood down and let the police handle it like they asked him to. There's something seriously wrong in this country when you can shoot an unarmed kid and get off scot-free with no degree of punishment whatsoever. Even the killer of Oscar Grant III got 2 years for involuntary manslaughter and was released after 11 months.

The ridiculousness and open-endedness of the Stand Your Ground law is, at least in my mind, the primary reason this story had the legs it did over other murders. And as Vex pointed out, that May 2012 incident where a black woman was denied the Stand Your Ground law and sentenced to 20 years in an incident where no one died only makes this one look even worse.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Ken and Vexer get gold stars here. Btw Ken, have you ever read womanist-musings.com? Great site that echoes a lot of what you've said on here and some of the other forums about white privilege and how racism doesn't have to be overt and outwardly nasty for it to exist.

But lets say Zimmerman really thought Martin was acting suspicious. Okay, he should have stood down and let the police handle it like they asked him to. There's something seriously wrong in this country when you can shoot an unarmed kid and get off scot-free with no degree of punishment whatsoever. Even the killer of Oscar Grant III got 2 years for involuntary manslaughter and was released after 11 months.

The ridiculousness and open-endedness of the Stand Your Ground law is, at least in my mind, the primary reason this story had the legs it did over other murders. And as Vex pointed out, that May 2012 incident where a black woman was denied the Stand Your Ground law and sentenced to 20 years in an incident where no one died only makes this one look even worse.

Again, Stand Your Ground laws only codify common law rights that we've always had in this country. They don't apply to the woman who fired the warning shots, because A) firing a warning shot shows that you didn't think that your life was in imminent danger ('cause if you did, you would have just flat-out shot the person) and B) warning shots are a danger to 3rd parties (the bullets have to come down somewhere). That said, the 20 years is ridiculous (assuming no prior record, 6 months probation sounds about right).

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 am
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
Btw Ken, have you ever read womanist-musings.com? Great site that echoes a lot of what you've said on here and some of the other forums about white privilege and how racism doesn't have to be overt and outwardly nasty for it to exist.

Not familiar with it, but I'll check it out.

dps wrote:
Again, Stand Your Ground laws only codify common law rights that we've always had in this country.

There are a lot of places where in order to claim self-defense, you have to demonstrate that you were unable to evade or retreat before using force against your assailant. Then there are places that have castle doctrine, which is essentially a stand your ground law that only applies if you're in your home or certain other areas where you hold legal responsibility.

Although Zimmerman ultimately didn't invoke stand your ground, its presence as a component of Florida's self-defense law did prevent the jury from taking whether or not he was able to retreat into consideration. Personally, I'm glad it's a hot topic right now, though I wish this didn't have to happen to get people talking about it.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 am
Producer

Ken -

Quote:
This is not what I'm talking about. To say that you or I somehow caused shootings or slavery is ludicrous. What I'm saying is that some of us are beneficiaries of certain privileges in this world and some of us are not, in ways both fathomable and unfathomable. That world may have been that way when we got to it, but we're still living within that complex web of advantages and disadvantages. We don't exist in a vacuum apart from our history. It is very nearly as ludicrous to suggest that the way we treat each other and the obstacles that some of us disproportionately have to face have nothing to do with that history.

And of course it isn't fair... but again, fairness has nothing to do with it. It's the same reason white people aren't allowed to use the N-word: its effects still linger. It is a social sin of our ancestors that we inherited.

I may be white - but I was born on a piss-poor estate (or "project" in American terms), in a destitute town, in possibly the poorest region of the country; both my schools were in the bottom 10% percentile, one has shut down completely and the other is under government special measures.

How is that for a complex web of disadvantages? But I didn't become a murderer, gangbanger, rapist, crack-dealer, or pimp. I didn't use my environment or a complex web of disadvantages as an excuse to do so. Because despite the relative disadvantages I was born into, my culture is one that can basically be described as "pull your socks up" as opposed to "lounge around smoking crack and watching TV".

My Grandma raised 4 kids whilst working full-time, and lived in abject poverty. They couldn't even afford coal to keep the house warm. My Uncles shared school clothes between them. My Mum's second job was to help raise her younger siblings.

Real poverty exists everywhere. This is a real, tangible disadvantage. Not the kind of re-heated neo-marxist rhetoric on race that gets peddled out today.

This is the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 am
Second Unit Director

Nothughgrant,

This country has turned into a bunch of pussy liberals. They would rather blame their situation on everyone else but themselves and abuse the system, than put in the hard work it takes to better one self (education, jobs, etc.). It also seems that we have a president that wants this system of abuse to stay right where it is.

I will admit the following though.

First of all, it starts with hood rats having kids out of marriage. Something like 70% of black kids are born into a broken home; this does them no favors. I don't know about you guys, but my parents have been married for over 30 years. They were both born dirt poor (yet they were born to loving married parents). They put in the hard work necessary to put them through school...without any help from the government. They went on to both become successful in their careers and build a family, and instill in their kids (my brother and I) the value of hardwork,education, manners, treating people with respect, etc, etc. I am blaming the lowlifes having these kids that don't teach them any of the common morals and values of society. I would almost venture to say a lot of the kids being born into broken ghetto homes are being borne so that the parents can take more advantage of the government.

But it is the lowlife parents' decisions. They could choose to better themselves, and it has nothing to do with anyone but them. Stop blaming others and put in the hard work necessary. Is it going to be hard? Hell yes. Would it be easier for a white man? Maybe. Nothing in life worth having is easy though, so stop complaining. It just sucks that while it isn't the kids faults, they are learning from their disgusting parents, and the cycle continues.

Here is a nice story of what hard work can do. A family friend started working as a bag boy in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store when he was 13 years old. He didn't care what it seemed like to other people, he wanted to learn business and make money, and put in the hard work necessary to do so. By the time he graduated high school, he made assistant manager. He decided college wasnt for him, and kept working at the store, busting his ass and sometimes working 80-90 hour weeks....yet learning all he could. Now?

He owns 20 piggly wiggly stores, two distribution centers, numerous radio stations, and real estate all over the south east. He is worth around $80 million. That too hard work; no one gave it too him...maybe he got lucky with a deal here and there, but he made that happen for himself. How many people are willing to do that today, with the changing ideals it seems our country is going through?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 am
Director

Gentlemen, your characterization of blacks as hood rats and crack smokers reveals your true thought processes. That's the funny thing about language, y'know...it reveals you every time.

Also, if I seem flippant in my comments, it's because I don't take American conservatism seriously anymore. It's a movement that is anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-black, anti-Hispanic, anti-education, anti-science, anti-intellectualism, anti-progress. They are not defined by what they are for, but what they are against. So I don't take them seriously.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 am
Producer

For what it’s worth, Chocco, I don’t take American Conservatism too seriously from over here either. It seems a mess. Much of its policy seems to be based on anti-logic (the needless exclusion of conservative Hispanics by the Romney campaign), and anti-science (an unwillingness to use stem cell research for fear of playing God).

But that doesn’t change certain facts. Immigrants groups go one of two ways – both in an exaggerated fashion. They either become disproportionately high achievers, or disproportionately low-achievers. Jews and Koreans fall in the former; blacks in the latter.

Perhaps there is something about being part of the non-default culture that creates a kind of cultural paranoia. Groups that aren’t pandered to and don’t have their sense of victim status stoked by the liberal elites tend to overcompensate; groups that are pandered to and have their grief stoked tend to sit back and do f*ck all.

I don’t believe this is racially pre-determined – in his book “Black Rednecks and White Liberals”, Thomas Sewell discusses how quickly new black immigrants from the West Indies assimilated and began to thrive in American society compared to the Black Americans who had multiple generations of Black Americans behind them.

There’s the old saying in economics: Subsidise something and you get more of it.

In other words, subsidise more grief, get more grief. Subsidise race politics, get more race politics … and the inevitable shit storm that comes with it.

The Left campaign on Zimmerman is a disgrace.

Quote:
Gentlemen, your characterization of blacks as hood rats and crack smokers reveals your true thought processes

Well, if you saying I think all blacks are hood rats and crack smokers, then you're wrong. And nor do I think they are racially pre-determined to be so. But for whatever reason, culture has led an uncomfortable number of black people down this route. And sticking your fingers in your ears won't change that.

And more to the point, I'm not remotely troubled or intimidated by the kind of finger-pointing language you employ here. So give it up, son.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Gentlemen, your characterization of blacks as hood rats and crack smokers reveals your true thought processes. That's the funny thing about language, y'know...it reveals you every time.

Also, if I seem flippant in my comments, it's because I don't take American conservatism seriously anymore. It's a movement that is anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-black, anti-Hispanic, anti-education, anti-science, anti-intellectualism, anti-progress. They are not defined by what they are for, but what they are against. So I don't take them seriously.

I don't characterize all blacks that way, just the ones who are actual hood rats and crack smokers.

Obama is certainly not a hood rat or crack smoker. He might be a good man, I just think he is a terrible president.

My neighbors growing up were a nice American family that happened to be black. They lived in a well kept house, the father mowed his lawn every Saturday, they raised a son and daughter together, and the wife was a stay at home mom. The father was a high school principal. Great people.

Here is an example of a hood rat, that just wants to do hood rat things. Granted, he is still a kid and can change, but he was born by pathetic parents that didn't want to raise him...and his grandmother isn't doing a very good job. When he gets older, he will have to make the choice, "do I want to lead a good life, or remain a hood rat?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4

I'm not blaming the kid, I am blaming the culture he is being raised in.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am
Second Unit Director

This is such an unnecessary tragedy, a product of our broken society, and I really wish our nation could have a real conversation about it!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Nothughgrant,

This country has turned into a bunch of pussy liberals. They would rather blame their situation on everyone else but themselves and abuse the system, than put in the hard work it takes to better one self (education, jobs, etc.). It also seems that we have a president that wants this system of abuse to stay right where it is.

First of all, it starts with hood rats having kids out of marriage. Something like 70% of black kids are born into a broken home; this does them no favors. I don't know about you guys, but my parents have been married for over 30 years. They were both born dirt poor (yet they were born to loving married parents). They put in the hard work necessary to put them through school...without any help from the government. They went on to both become successful in their careers and build a family, and instill in their kids (my brother and I) the value of hardwork,education, manners, treating people with respect, etc, etc. I am blaming the lowlifes having these kids that don't teach them any of the common morals and values of society. I would almost venture to say a lot of the kids being born into broken ghetto homes are being borne so that the parents can take more advantage of the government.

But it is the lowlife parents' decisions. They could choose to better themselves, and it has nothing to do with anyone but them. Stop blaming others and put in the hard work necessary. Is it going to be hard? Hell yes. Would it be easier for a white man? Maybe. Nothing in life worth having is easy though, so stop complaining. It just sucks that while it isn't the kids faults, they are learning from their disgusting parents, and the cycle continues.

Here is a nice story of what hard work can do. A family friend started working as a bag boy in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store when he was 13 years old. He didn't care what it seemed like to other people, he wanted to learn business and make money, and put in the hard work necessary to do so. By the time he graduated high school, he made assistant manager. He decided college wasnt for him, and kept working at the store, busting his ass and sometimes working 80-90 hour weeks....yet learning all he could. Now?

He owns 20 piggly wiggly stores, two distribution centers, numerous radio stations, and real estate all over the south east. He is worth around $80 million. That too hard work; no one gave it too him...maybe he got lucky with a deal here and there, but he made that happen for himself. How many people are willing to do that today, with the changing ideals it seems our country is going through?

You are a racist POS you know that? :evil: I'm sick of this "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" conservative BS, not everyone can do that. You're the one who's a lowlife, i'm guessing you agree with Frank Miller's opinions on Occupy Wall Street as well? Unfortunately not EVERYONE is as lucky as you, most marriages don't last for 30 years anymore. IMO, Obama is a far better man then you will ever be. The tea party are the ones who are dragging this country into the ground by putting greed over everything else and setting rights back 50 years with draconian laws.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:21 pm
Director

Get 'em, Vex. Get 'em.

But you took the words right out of my mouth. Not everyone can pull themselves up without a little help. Those who abuse government programs are certainly guilty of mooching, but no system is foolproof.

You know, roastbeef, your argument sounds familiar. Why, I believe ive seen it before in late 2011. Here's a refresher. http://www.womanist-musings.com/2011/12 ... .html#more

And judging by both your generalizations here and the "slam pieces" comments in that other topic, it sounds like you have an awful lot of pent up anger toward minorities and women. I'd seek therapy if I were you.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:17 pm
Director

It's not so much he's got a problem with women or minorities as he's read Atlas Shrugged and now thinks he knows everything. You see this a lot in twentysomethings. Most of us grow out of it. Those who don't usually seek political office.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:00 pm
Cinematographer

This whole thread shows the kind of unhappiness that can result whenever politics are discussed. The same thing goes for any discussions on religion.

The fact is simple: Martin was likely the victim of a man whose fear got the better of him and caused him to make a terrible mistake. This isn't to say that Zimmerman was faultless, but he let anger and fear goad him into doing something will haunt him for the rest of his life.

For me, the problem here is really simple: lack of knowledge rooted in the sad state of the American education system. How do we fix this problem? Put more funding into education, including an overall increase in the average salaries of teachers, for starters, as it would be nice to *encourage* more people to get an Education degree and go into this field. Put in stricter standards of education, starting with science, math, and social studies courses- this has to include a complete eradication of religious influence in those particular subjects. Creationism isn't anything remotely resembling science, and anyone who says it is shouldn't be anywhere near a school board or any position of authority in a school system. Educate our children to a higher level and encourage them to stay abreast of the world outside of their country through news and use of the Internet as a source of information. Make knowledge and intelligence virtues to aspire to instead of labeling anyone with those qualities as "nerds" and degrading them instead.

The more knowledgeable a person is, the less ignorant he/she is. The less ignorant a person is, the less *fearful* a person will be. The less fearful a person is, the less likely he/she will be to listen to nonsense and/or make rash and stupid decisions based on fear, like carrying a gun around and acting like a militiaman then shooting an innocent person to death. This country can be so much better than it is if only more of its people weren't so goddamn fucking ignorant.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Nothughgrant,

You are a racist POS you know that? :evil: I'm sick of this "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" conservative BS, not everyone can do that. You're the one who's a lowlife, i'm guessing you agree with Frank Miller's opinions on Occupy Wall Street as well? Unfortunately not EVERYONE is as lucky as you, most marriages don't last for 30 years anymore. IMO, Obama is a far better man then you will ever be. The tea party are the ones who are dragging this country into the ground by putting greed over everything else and setting rights back 50 years with draconian laws.

Typical Liberal thinking.

How am I racist? If somebody likes stealing cars, drugs, ghetto life, then that person is a hood rat or crack smoker, plain and simple. A hoodrat or crack smoker can be black, white, yellow, red, green or purple. There are plenty of white meth heads that abuse the system too...and they shouldn't be having kids either.

And why don't most marriages last 30 years anymore? If you can't work everyday to make your marriage last, then why get married? Why take the vow "until death"? Why have kids if you can't support them, teach them, care for them, and love them? If I lived in the ghetto cracked out of my mind, I would be ashamed to have children, knowing that they would be born into a bad situation. Now some people do have a run of bad luck, and need government assistance to get back on their feet; and that is precisely what the programs are designed for: to help people in need while they deal with their situation.

KWRoss wrote:
Get 'em, Vex. Get 'em.

But you took the words right out of my mouth. Not everyone can pull themselves up without a little help. Those who abuse government programs are certainly guilty of mooching, but no system is foolproof.

You know, roastbeef, your argument sounds familiar. Why, I believe ive seen it before in late 2011. Here's a refresher. http://www.womanist-musings.com/2011/12 ... .html#more

And judging by both your generalizations here and the "slam pieces" comments in that other topic, it sounds like you have an awful lot of pent up anger toward minorities and women. I'd seek therapy if I were you.

Also, yes, I believe anyone with enough hard work can improve their situation. You know what definitely WILL NOT improve your situation? Not trying and being lazy while already accepting defeat. "Ohhh...jeezzz louise, the system is already against me so I'm just going to call it a day and not try...there is nothing I can do."

That line of thinking is pathetic, and I have no sympathy for you if you refuse to put forth an effort because "the system is unjust."

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next