Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President 
Second Unit Director

Post Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
After a jury reached a verdict of not guilty last week, it seems as though tensions are running high...but why? Why is this case being reported on constantly when more blacks die at the hand of other blacks daily?...How come that is not being reported? How come it isn't being reported that a gang of blacks beat the hell put of a white man the other day for being white...for "retribution against trayvon?". Why isn't that national news? Why is our President giving press conferences saying "trayvon could have been his son," "that could have been me 35 years ago"..."all black people have experienced being followed in a department store", "if trayvon had the gun, would the verdict have been the same?"

Its like the media, spearheaded by our stupid fuck of a President, wants to increase racial tension. Why did the DOJ pay for rallies for trayvon? Why the fuck is the president sticking his nose in this bullshit when our country has so many greater problems?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:40 pm
Producer

Post Re: Travon Martin, Racial Tensions, and our President
Ratings.

That, and it's rare that one of our nation's many complex problems is distilled into such a media-friendly narrative. But that's a byproduct of the fact that our media conglomerates really, really want the ratings.

As for the president, he'd probably rather people talk about this than his monstrous drone warfare campaign, the NSA's ever-deepening river of shit, the utter inaction on every problem he's promised to solve that doesn't have some sort of ancillary benefit to the plutocracy he serves, et cetera and so forth.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
After a jury reached a verdict of not guilty last week, it seems as though tensions are running high...but why? Why is this case being reported on constantly when more blacks die at the hand of other blacks daily?...How come that is not being reported? How come it isn't being reported that a gang of blacks beat the hell put of a white man the other day for being white...for "retribution against trayvon?". Why isn't that national news? Why is our President giving press conferences saying "trayvon could have been his son," "that could have been me 35 years ago"..."all black people have experienced being followed in a department store", "if trayvon had the gun, would the verdict have been the same?"

Its like the media, spearheaded by our stupid fuck of a President, wants to increase racial tension. Why did the DOJ pay for rallies for trayvon? Why the fuck is the president sticking his nose in this bullshit when our country has so many greater problems?
Wow, that has to be the dumbest thing you've ever said on here :evil:
It sounds like you're the one who's stupid and trying to increase "racial tension" as it's very obvious you've got a lot of resentment towards black people. This is the most obvious attempt at flame bait i've ever seen on here(though after what you said about women being "slam pieces" I can't say i'm the least bit surprised). This isn't just a black or white issue, it illustrates the huge problem with the "Stand Your Ground" laws, is it right that a woman is now serving 20 years just for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband? This IS a VERY important issue and for you to gloss over it shows just how ignorant you are :roll: No person of any color should have to live in fear of being on the wrong end of a gun-toting maniac looking for an excuse to kill someone and justify it with a bullshit law. I'm glad Obama said something, it needed to be said, it sickens me that people are calling a monster like Zimmerman a goddamn hero when he's anything but.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

It sounds like you're the one who's stupid and trying to increase "racial tension" as it's very obvious you've got a lot of resentment towards black people. This is the most obvious attempt at flame bait i've ever seen on here(though after what you said about women being "slam pieces" I can't say i'm the least bit surprised). This isn't just a black or white issue, it illustrates the huge problem with the "Stand Your Ground" laws, is it right that a woman is now serving 20 years just for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband? This IS a VERY important issue and for you to gloss over it shows just how ignorant you are :roll: No person of any color should have to live in fear of being on the wrong end of a gun-toting maniac looking for an excuse to kill someone and justify it with a bullshit law. I'm glad Obama said something, it needed to be said, it sickens me that people are calling a monster like Zimmerman a goddamn hero when he's anything but.

Vex, you and I don't see eye-to-eye on films. However, I agree 1000% with what you just said here. The police are the ones who should be dealing with crime, not moronic citizens who feel that the Second Amendment is some divine mandate. For anyone to call Zimmerman a hero is a sign that this world is seriously fucked up.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Vex, you and I don't see eye-to-eye on films. However, I agree 1000% with what you just said here. The police are the ones who should be dealing with crime, not moronic citizens who feel that the Second Amendment is some divine mandate. For anyone to call Zimmerman a hero is a sign that this world is seriously fucked up.

Glad we can agree on something. I'm also seriously pissed off at that asshole Rick Perry passing that extreme anti-abortion bill.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:43 pm
Director

I laugh at the the question "if trayvon had the gun, would the verdict have been the same?". Well please no, because that would be a completely different situation. And that's one of the saner questions from the OP. The OP's opinions sound like many people I read in the comments of 4chan FB page's issue about this yesterday.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 pm
Producer

One thing I wish people were better about is differentiating between being mad about the circumstances surrounding the shooting and being mad about the acquittal. I've seen a lot of conflation of the two and it's depressing every time.

I actually think the jury made the right decision. Florida's laws are what they are. They sure as hell need a revision to minimize the chances of something like this happening again, but that's absolutely no excuse to subject George Zimmerman to a witch hunt. He was accused of murder, which carries with it a very high requirement of evidence, and the prosecution simply didn't meet that requirement. It would have been injustice to find him guilty on that basis.

But as a member of society and as a moral being, Zimmerman fucked up. Big time. You do not stalk total strangers with a loaded weapon on the dubious basis that somebody has been robbing houses lately in the surrounding area. You are begging the universe to embroil you and that other person in a terrible situation that endangers both your lives.

Some say that it was a case of racial profiling, and really, that's not hard to believe. The color of your skin affects the way people treat you, whether you notice it or not. (The easiest way not to notice it is to be white, because our society unfortunately still views white people as "default" people. Look no further than movies if you need confirmation of this.) We can't know for sure what sparked Zimmerman's suspicion when he saw Martin, but ask black people anywhere if they feel they've ever been racially discriminated against and they will have stories to tell you. That is 100% guaranteed.

As I said, we can't know for sure, but I find myself wondering why so many people are so quick to dismiss the possibility that a black boy walking outside, alone, after dark, in the south might have been racially profiled by the white man who killed him.

Some people say Zimmerman behaved like a cowboy. I say he behaved like a Knight Templar, taking it upon himself to evaluate the moral character of others and to act upon them accordingly. We have no right to treat each other that way. It's not the world we live in. I don't know why Zimmerman or anybody else wants to live in that world. It's a nasty place.

Perhaps we should talk about what can be done in the state of Florida and elsewhere to curtail situations like this one in the future. One thing's for sure, and I think it's insanity to believe otherwise: things are not okay the way they are and something has to change.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 am
Gaffer

Best commentary I've seen on the whole subject -

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... tions.html

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 am
Auteur

I wouldn't call it a "witch hunt" at all, he should've at least been found guilty on a lesser charge, and I still think the way that trial was handled was a load of BS, even if there was more evidence against him, you can bet the handpicked jury would've found some excuse to justify it. Especially disgusting was the witness intimidation done to that one young woman testifying against Zimmerman, and of course the idiots at Faux News racially profiled her saying "are we really letting her get away with this just because she's black?" :roll: I'm still not convinced Zimmerman isn't racist, if Trayvon was white, I highly doubt he would've been confronted like that.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:52 pm
Producer

I didn't mean to say it was a witch hunt, at least not in the court room. I meant that finding him guilty of murder on the insufficient evidence that they had would have been a witch hunt.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I didn't mean to say it was a witch hunt, at least not in the court room. I meant that finding him guilty of murder on the insufficient evidence that they had would have been a witch hunt.

Maybe not murder, but at the very least he should've been convicted of manslaughter.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Producer

I agree with that. I'm glad that we didn't unjustly convict someone of murder, but that's the only reason to be pleased by this situation.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:45 pm
Cinematographer

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Attachments:
TRUTH.jpg
TRUTH.jpg [ 55.14 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
This isn't just a black or white issue, it illustrates the huge problem with the "Stand Your Ground" laws

Read this: http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/14/sorry ... -has-nothi.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
This isn't just a black or white issue, it illustrates the huge problem with the "Stand Your Ground" laws

Read this: http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/14/sorry ... -has-nothi.

How do you know Martin knocked Zimmerman to the ground? What proof do you have that he did?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:22 pm
Cinematographer

I'm not interested in discussing the case itself, merely what was being debated about Stand Your Ground laws.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
I'm not interested in discussing the case itself, merely what was being debated about Stand Your Ground laws.

Then why did you post that image? Personally i'm not surprised Trayvon drew more attention since his death was local and the other person's was not(likewise i'm sure Trayvon's death has drawn little attention from overseas except in the UK)

Also even if "Stand Your Ground" was not invoked in this instance, that still dosen't mean that there are no problems with the law. There are plenty of other example of people abusing that law to get away with murder, for example a burglar is using the law as justification for the killing the person whose house he broke into, and another guy killed a 15 year old fleeing from him whom he "suspected" to be a burglar.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Then why did you post that image? Personally i'm not surprised Trayvon drew more attention since his death was local and the other person's was not(likewise i'm sure Trayvon's death has drawn little attention from overseas except in the UK)

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that the American news media is hoping to draw attention away from the Obama administration's misdoings. The NSA issue has been pushed to the back-burner, and in its place are stories that are meant to divide the American populace.

By the way, do you even know who the other individual in that image is?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that the American news media is hoping to draw attention away from the Obama administration's misdoings. The NSA issue has been pushed to the back-burner, and in its place are stories that are meant to divide the American populace.

By the way, do you even know who the other individual in that image is?

That is Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, the son of Anwar al-Walki. He didn't deserve to die for his father's mistakes, but I still don't think that there's any grand conspiracy with the media here.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 pm
Producer

Stand Your Ground is a salient issue, even though Zimmerman's defense didn't invoke it. The existence of a Stand Your Ground law is a good measure for a state's attitude toward self-defense.

And we don't need proof that Martin had Zimmerman pinned. As the person being accused, all Zimmerman needed to do was to give a plausible explanation for what happened that night. It was his accusers' responsibility to prove that his story was wrong. For further reference, see: 12 Angry Men

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next