Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637 ... 842  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Side Effects (2013).

Not as good as I expected. Still o.k. though.

It didn't take me long until I saw way too many similarities to the 1992 movie Final Analysis (another modern Hitchcock wannabe - with Richard Gere in the Jude Law role, Kim Basinger in the Rooney Mara role and Uma Thurman (kind of) in the Cat Zeta-Jones role. It's almost a remake, only with much more complex twists and way overcrowded with unnecessary characters. Things seemed to be way simpler back in the 90s. And who the hell cares about all that elaborated market speculation and related online articles? Can we please keep it down to the old Mc Guffin? Thanks.

But please convince me that both movies don't have the exact same heritage and basic idea as Final Analysis.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm
Auteur

Threeperf35 wrote:
Side Effects (2013).

Not as good as I expected. Still o.k. though.

It didn't take me long until I saw way too many similarities to the 1992 movie Final Analysis (another modern Hitchcock wannabe - with Richard Gere in the Jude Law role, Kim Basinger in the Rooney Mara role and Uma Thurman (kind of) in the Cat Zeta-Jones role. It's almost a remake, only with much more complex twists and way overcrowded with unnecessary characters. Things seemed to be way simpler back in the 90s. And who the hell cares about all that elaborated market speculation and related online articles? Can we please keep it down to the old Mc Guffin? Thanks.

But please convince me that both movies don't have the exact same heritage and basic idea as Final Analysis.

Agreed, I was none too impressed with Side Effects either, I knew i'd seen that kind of plot before but I couldn't place my finger on where until you mentioned Final Analysis. It wasn't just the ridiculous plot twists(seriously, that's that kind of crap i'd expect from the Saw sequels, not from Soderbergh)that annoyed me, it was the poor acting, to me all of the actors just seemed liked they were going through the motions and strictly in "paycheck" mode.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:15 pm
Vexer wrote:
Agreed, I was none too impressed with Side Effects either, I knew i'd seen that kind of plot before but I couldn't place my finger on where until you mentioned Final Analysis. It wasn't just the ridiculous plot twists(seriously, that's that kind of crap i'd expect from the Saw sequels, not from Soderbergh)that annoyed me, it was the poor acting, to me all of the actors just seemed liked they were going through the motions and strictly in "paycheck" mode.

Thanks Vex for acknowledging the fact that I traced down the basic plot.
Well, Jude Law isn't much of an actor isn't he? Same for Cat Z.-Jones. Just looks.
But Rooney Mara? That girl kicked some very serious ass (including a Swedish accent - not sure if it's any good but at least she had one more added difficlulty in her role) in the GWTDT remake! I had such high hopes for her. Now it's Noomi Rapace seemingly everywhere (from the original GWTDT) - not that I think she's bad at all. It's just funny how things turn sometimes. If a miracle doesn't happen, Noomi will be good for many years to come and Rooney is done with. I sincerely hope not...

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm
Auteur

Threeperf35 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Thanks Vex for aknowledging the fact that I traced down the basic plot.
Well, Jude Law isn't much of an actor isn't he? Same for Cat Z.-Jones. Just looks.
But Rooney Mara? That girl kicked some very serious ass (including a Swedish accent - nor sure if it's any good but at least she had one more added difficlulty in her role) in the GWTDT remake! I had such high hopes for her. Now it's Nooi Rapace everyhwhere (from the original GWTDT) - not that I think she's bad at all. It's just funny how things turn sometimes. If a miracle doesn't happen, Noomi will be good for many years to come and Rooney is done with. I sincerely hope not...
I normally do like Mara, but in this film she just looked lost, not that I blame her since her character was not exactly well-written. I like CZJ quite a bit and am looking forward to seeing her in RED 2.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm
Director

Rooney Mara's got two more films coming out this year including one with Terence Malick. She's hardly done. I like Noomi Rapace a bit better, and she has distinctive features working for her.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm
Director

Solomon Kane (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/
Unbelievably grim British medieval fantasy/adventure in the vein of Game of Thrones (specifically in and around Winterfell), but much, much bleaker. There really is not a bright spot in this production, and the oppressive uncompromising dour atmosphere is probably not to everybody's taste. However if you're into this kind of thing, it delivers.
6.5/10.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm
Director

The ABCs of Death

I like anthology films. They are a tough sell, because they change tones so frequently, but a good anthology is every bit as rewarding as a full feature. The ABCs of Death is only so-so; it's 26 films, each dealing with death in some way. It's a grab-bag; some films are good, some are bad, and some are weird. I won't discuss each one, but I'll pick the ones that I thought were notable.

F is for Fart needs to be seen just because of how strange it is.
K is for Klutz, an animated short about a turd that won't leave a woman alone, is amusing in its juvenility.
M is for Miscarriage is genuinely unsettling.
N is for Nuptials is rather funny.
Q is for quack may be the best of the bunch: two guys, a duck, guns...it's one of the more unique entries.
S is for Speed is also good, and saddening.
T is for Toilet is hilarious.
U is for Unearthed, a film taken from the point of view of a vampire being hunted, is one of the more clever entries.
V is for Vagitus...scratch Q, this is the best of the 26 films. I think it's a great idea for a short, and could possibly be expanded into a feature.

The film is back-loaded; the best films are near the end and the worse ones are toward the beginning, which is the film's main flaw. It would have been nice had it flowed better. I can't give this film a full recommendation, but if you have Netflix you can fast-forward to the good parts.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:10 pm
Assistant Director

Count me in as someone else that wasn't that impressed with Side Effects. But then again, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot. It was a decent film with not much grab. Even though I give it bonus points for the lead switch (from Mara to Law) it still ended up being more formulaic than I thought it would be. In the low B-ish realm.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Count me in as someone else that wasn't that impressed with Side Effects. But then again, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot. It was a decent film with not much grab. Even though I give it bonus points for the lead switch (from Mara to Law) it still ended up being more formulaic than I thought it would be. In the low B-ish realm.

There are many things you can say about the movie. But it ain't formulaic.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:12 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

The second half felt mostly formulaic to me.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

The second half felt mostly formulaic to me.

I mean, I guess the

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Getting someone to talk to you and then revealing that you're mic-ed up!

is been-there done-that, and in fact one of my least favorite cinematic endings. But Jesus Christ man

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It ends with Jude Law making Rooney Mara his slave and sending her to an insane asylum

I think we could say that...bucks formula a tad?

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:41 pm
Director

The Station Agent (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/
I decided to watch this as a random recommendation from the imdb system (algorithmically based on my ratings for the thousand odd movie ratings I have put in there over the last decade or so). Anyway, so Peter Dinklage (better known as Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones) plays the anti-social introverted curmudgeon Finbar who inherits a derelict abandoned train station in the middle of nowhere and decides to move there. Here he meets mobile coffee shop owner Bobby Cannavale, divorcee Patricia Clarkson with a tragic past, and librarian Michelle Williams (who is criminally underused, but I guess it is a 2003 film). The key conceit in this pleasant easy-going film is how suddenly the initially persistent "wants to be left alone" Finbar finds his inner socialness (is that a word?) and starts involving himself in their lives (although they do seem to force themselves upon him, it has to said). The style of this film reminded me a bit of Adventureland (2009), Sunshine Cleaning (2008), The Yellow Handkerchief (2008), The Good Girl (2002)... that type of thing. Well worth seeing if you like quirky dramas.
7.5/10.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:55 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
The Station Agent (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/
I decided to watch this as a random recommendation from the imdb system (algorithmically based on my ratings for the thousand odd movie ratings I have put in there over the last decade or so). Anyway, so Peter Dinklage (better known as Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones) plays the anti-social introverted curmudgeon Finbar who inherits a derelict abandoned train station in the middle of nowhere and decides to move there. Here he meets mobile coffee shop owner Bobby Cannavale, divorcee Patricia Clarkson with a tragic past, and librarian Michelle Williams (who is criminally underused, but I guess it is a 2003 film). The key conceit in this pleasant easy-going film is how suddenly the initially persistent "wants to be left alone" Finbar finds his inner socialness (is that a word?) and starts involving himself in their lives (although they do seem to force themselves upon him, it has to said). The style of this film reminded me a bit of Adventureland (2009), Sunshine Cleaning (2008), The Yellow Handkerchief (2008), The Good Girl (2002)... that type of thing. Well worth seeing if you like quirky dramas.
7.5/10.

I would argue Peter Dinklage is pretty well known as Peter Dinklage, but I'm glad you liked the movie. Thomas McCarthy has made three films (this, The Visitor, and Win-Win) and they're all interesting little movies.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Le Quattro Volte (2011) 3/4

Lets just say I’m ready for a film with steady dialogue, which isn’t to say that little to no dialogue is necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps this just wasn’t the best follow up to a film like The Loneliest Planet; maybe I should have waited a while before popping this in. Blatantly speaking this isn’t an easy film to sit through. Although on the other hand there is a quaint mysticism about Le Quattro Vole that surprisingly grabs your attention. Like many other films, I can respect the craft and the direction of Le Quattro Volte, it’s just a piece of cinema that never quite hooked me. All in all, I have to give a shout out to this film. The ambition of this film alone is something I have to respect—especially when there is absolutely no dialogue to convey meaning or emotion. Le Quattro Volte is certainly a though provoking film, which at least deserves a watch. Just don’t expect it to alter the way you think about life.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:31 am
Producer

I love the Station Agent. I'd say The Visitor is McCarthy's best, but I think The Station Agent was a necessary spiritual precursor, and therefore an invaluable companion piece. Dinklage and Jenkins play similar characters, wrestling with similar inner dilemmas.

What I like most about them, I think, is that they're real stories. Nowadays, when most movies are either consciously or unconsciously drawing from previous movies, it's rare to find a great, entirely watchable movie that seems to be drawn primarily from life.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I would argue Peter Dinklage is pretty well known as Peter Dinklage, but I'm glad you liked the movie. Thomas McCarthy has made three films (this, The Visitor, and Win-Win) and they're all interesting little movies.

I have seen and enjoyed The Visitor. Will check out Win-Win to be sure sometime. I love this type of film generally.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:37 am
Critic

King Solomon's Mines (1950) ***

A random best picture nod from 1951, King Solomon's Mines called to me after our discussion on the favorite adventure movies thread. It is somewhat guilty of "Hey look: a lion! Hey look: a cobra!" and that got a bit tiresome, particularly since I've spent a fair bit of time in sub-Saharan Africa, but Stewart Grander (who I didn't know at all) is good as the great white hunter and Deborah Kerr is a good foil and I had a good time watching it.

Despicable Me
(2010) ***

This doesn't make me a good person...but I find the minions really cute. And after the incessant marketing of the sequel, I decided to see the original, and I found it very entertaining. Am I now the lowest common denominator? Probably.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Despicable Me
(2010) ***

This doesn't make me a good person...but I find the minions really cute. And after the incessant marketing of the sequel, I decided to see the original, and I found it very entertaining. Am I now the lowest common denominator? Probably.

To me, films like Despicable Me fall into the general equivalent of cinematic catagory of movie comfort food. I wouldn't want a steady diet of the stuff, but every once in awhile you need to simply sit back to something cute/clever/fun and not need to worry about messy themes or ideas.

The Searchers

I don't see why this is considered to be so great. Some nice shots of the scenery, but John Wayne's racist ex-confederate caricature fails to develop the kind of depth necessary to carry a motion picture for two hours. There are some nascent attempts to develop some thematic depth but honestly, there are too many side trips into irrelevant areas. Not to mention, the Native Americans are all raping pillagers or used as comic relief. Not cool.

-Jeremy

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Critic

thered47 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Despicable Me
(2010) ***

To me, films like Despicable Me fall into the general equivalent of cinematic catagory of movie comfort food. I wouldn't want a steady diet of the stuff, but every once in awhile you need to simply sit back to something cute/clever/fun and not need to worry about messy themes or ideas.

The Searchers

I don't see why this is considered to be so great. Some nice shots of the scenery, but John Wayne's racist ex-confederate caricature fails to develop the kind of depth necessary to carry a motion picture for two hours. There are some nascent attempts to develop some thematic depth but honestly, there are too many side trips into irrelevant areas. Not to mention, the Native Americans are all raping pillagers or used as comic relief. Not cool.

-Jeremy

My very first thread on this forum 4 years ago was "The Searchers -- Why Does Everyone Love It So?" And I still don't know the answer.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 am
Producer

I will confess that while I find The Searchers interesting, it is more of a historical interest than anything else. I'd wager that its impact was far greater in a time when people hadn't already gotten used to the deconstructionist western. Nowadays, ideas and subversions of ideas that were once incendiary are now so absorbed into our reference pool that they've tarnished.*

*Triple mixed metaphor. YEAH BABY.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637 ... 842  Next