Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440 ... 481  Next
The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY)
Johnny Larue wrote:
Braveheart?

Oh, Holy Shit. That was so easy and I couldn't even.. it looked so familiar. Silly.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 am
Cinematographer

Sweet!

Attachments:
guess.jpg
guess.jpg [ 13.55 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]
Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm
Critic

Equatorial Lightning?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Tropic Thunder

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:26 am
Gedmud wrote:
Tropic Thunder

Yep, but J.K. was first. Through his, by now, usually clever use of (almost-) synonyms in the title.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:41 am
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
Tropic Thunder

Yep, but J.K. was first. Through his, by now, usually clever use of (almost-) synonyms in the title.

Thank you! Though synonyms is giving me too much credit. I guess they're more "Words that are similar" :D

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Thank you! Though synonyms is giving me too much credit. I guess they're more "Words that are similar" :D

You are most welcome. Well I remember from loooooong ago when I studied (among other stuff) the german language (this will very likely apply to most, if not all, languages as well): there are no true synonyms. Never. No exception. It starts already by one word with apparently the exact same meaning sounding different, so it feels different and we will chose it over the other for exactly that reason depending on context (nooooo, let's not get into syntax!). Say: "The need for velocity", nah, doesn't rhyme, and it is at least a 100mph slower..... Damn, I am already doing it!
It's still great fun replacing entire phrases by (as close as possible) synonyms, especially movie titles, because it doesn't matter what they mean, what matters is how they sound. Naming a movie is the second purpose, selling it is the first. Replace the words by similar ones and there's a great source of humor right there. ...but I digress...again.

J. Kunz: if you please 8-)

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:02 am
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

You are most welcome. Well I remember from loooooong ago when I studied (among other stuff) the german language (this will very likely apply to most, if not all, languages as well): there are no true synonyms. Never. No exception. It starts already by one word with apparently the exact same meaning sounding different, so it feels different and we will chose it over the other for exactly that reason depending on context (no, let's not get into syntax!).
It's still great fun replacing entire phrases by (as close as possible) synonyms, especially movie titles, becaus it doesn't matter what they mean, what matters is how they sound. Naming the movies is the second purpose, selling it is the first. Replace the words by similar ones and there's a great source of humor right there. ...but I digress...again.

J. Kunz: if you please 8-)

There are a few english words that are essentially true synonyms, which is one of the advantages of having so many more words in our language than most other languages. For instance: summit, peak, acme, zenith, and pinnacle.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:09 am
Critic

Attachments:
SharpPointLee.jpg
SharpPointLee.jpg [ 166.35 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 am
JamesKunz wrote:

There are a few english words that are essentially true synonyms, which is one of the advantages of having so many more words in our language than most other languages. For instance: summit, peak, acme, zenith, and pinnacle.

Hmkay. So Wile E. Coyote can alternatively order his items by the Pinnacle Corporation? :lol:
Of course you are correct. There are even words which were borrowed from the same language (or language family)at different times, such as "safety" and "security". Still not 100% synonymns. But yes, those words you mentioned (plus the information what the hell acme means other than: American Company that Makes Everything) are way closer than any pair (of words that is :mrgreen: ) in German can ever be.

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 am
That's Radio Raheem in Do the right thing (synonyms isn't my gig) :-)

EDIT: well let me try..... "Make certain appropriate stuff"? Nah, you are better at this...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 am
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Hmkay. So Wile E. Coyote can alternatively order his items by the Pinnacle Corporation? :lol:
Of course you are correct. There are even words which were borrowed from the same language (or language family)at different times, such as "safety" and "security". Still not 100% synonymns. But yes, those words you mentioned (plus the information what the hell acme means other than: American Company that Makes Everything) are way closer than any pair (of words that is :mrgreen: ) in German can ever be.

This is, incidentally, one of the reasons I've seen cited for why German people are stereotypically unfunny - your language doesn't lend itself to any kind of puns or wordplays.

And you are of course correct

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 am
Okay, I'll be back with a screen cap ASAP.

Back:

This picture may look as if I was trying to make it difficult. I'm not. But almost any random screen cap from this movie is iconic. Just think outside the frame (in this case literally). The sheet music is on a piano with all sorts of old stuff on top. The person holding and looking at the photo is the title character.

Attachments:
guess_me_plz.jpg
guess_me_plz.jpg [ 27.15 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]
Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:47 am
Critic

Blade Runner?

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 am
Wow, you really know your movies! Yes Sir, your turn.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 am
Critic

Thank you thank you. Let's get a bit more obscure

Attachments:
SharpPointLee.jpg
SharpPointLee.jpg [ 89.44 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 am
Cinematographer

Walter Huston as Old Scratch himself in The Devil And Daniel Webster.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
Walter Huston as Old Scratch himself in The Devil And Daniel Webster.

Blondizzle nails it!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:19 pm
Cinematographer

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

STOP in the name of love
feel like MAKING love
by SENSEs Fail

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440 ... 481  Next