Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 pm

JB's First 3.5-Star Movie of 2013 
Producer

Post Re: JB's First 3.5-Star Movie of 2013
My guesses:

The Conjuring
Fruitvale Station

Although it wouldn't surprise me for one of them to be The Way, Way Back as well. But those are my guesses.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:15 am
Second Unit Director

I think The Way, Way Back is one, but that could be because I like what I've seen in its marketing and I'm projecting. Although IIRC it wasn't on his Upcoming Reviews list before so maybe he wasn't planning on reviewing it but really liked it.

I think Elysium looks like it could get 3.5, but has he seen it? The Conjuring is possible, but I don't see what would be so special about it unless the acting is incredible, which it could be given Vera Farmiga's the lead.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 am
Director

The Way Way Back is definitely one of them, and here's why. It came out several weeks ago, as did most critics' reviews, and JB has said he sometimes sees low-profile movies but won't review them unless they get ***1/2 or better. Case in point: Frances Ha. But this is one of those he'll go out of his way to review precisely for that reason.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 am
Auteur

I'm guessing Byzantium is one of them, JB has liked all but one of Neil Jordan's films so it certainly has potential. Only God Forgives is also a possibility I suppose, I don't think JB will hate the film like others critics did but i'm not so sure he'll love it either. I definitely don't think it's Conjuring, I was surprised when he gave the Mist 3.5 stars, but I don't see him doing the same for that film, it looks mediocre at best.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

To me The Way, Way Back looks good but it doesn't strike me as the sort of film that will do better than ***. It looks like a nice, lightly-entertaining dramatic comedy that will probably feature some decent acting but nothing that will attain near-greatness.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Director

oafolay wrote:
To me The Way, Way Back looks good but it doesn't strike me as the sort of film that will do better than ***. It looks like a nice, lightly-entertaining dramatic comedy that will probably feature some decent acting but nothing that will attain near-greatness.

You could say the same about Adventureland,, also a summer-based coming-of-age story, and JB gave it 3.5 stars.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm
Producer

Yeah, the reason why I went with The Conjuring instead of The Way, Way Back is because the latter has been compared to Little Miss Sunshine, which JB liked but didn't love. I think it could still be it, but I went with The Conjuring instead.

I DEFINITELY think Fruitvail Station is the second one. The reviews it's been getting is amazing and it looks like it could be a really powerful film.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
oafolay wrote:

You could say the same about Adventureland,, also a summer-based coming-of-age story, and JB gave it 3.5 stars.

And the review bore out that interpretation, even compared the two. Well, I'm glad I was wrong and I'm sure gonna be keeping my eye out for this one.

Last edited by oafolay on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

oafolay wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
oafolay wrote:

And the review bore out that interpretation, even compared the two. Well, I'm glad I was wrong and I'm be sure keeping my eye out for this one.

Good thing I changed my prediction in time.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:

I don't think it will count. Sean specifically said changing votes is not permitted when I asked him about it a few weeks back. Although I see he edited his entry too (3 times in fact). Not sure what he changed tho.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I don't think it will count. Sean specifically said changing votes is not permitted when I asked him about it a few weeks back. Although I see he edited his entry too (3 times in fact). Not sure what he changed tho.

New rule change. Changing predictions is permitted, provided that it's done before JB posts his review. You can also skip predictions or post them for other titles that James hasn't reviewed yet.

The last rule change I will ever make.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm
Assistant Director

Sean wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

New rule change. Changing predictions is permitted, provided that it's done before JB posts his review. You can also skip predictions or post them for other titles that James hasn't reviewed yet.

So you can still change predictions in a given week that havn't been reviewed yet? e.g. I could change my The conjuring prediction still? That sounds like it might be labor intensive to implement at your end, e.g. to make sure no one has stealthily changed their The Way, Way Back prediction at the same time that is already posted.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 pm
Cinematographer

I'll probably just ignore prediction changes that occur on day that James posts his review. It's not that hard to track, especially when the times for new review threads or tweets are visible.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 pm
Producer

Despite 2 movies already getting 3.5 stars from him, I still James is gonna give Fruitvale Station 3.5 stars. It looks too powerful and reviews have been too great for it not to get that much. I suppose I could be wrong, but I'm still predicting.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:53 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Despite 2 movies already getting 3.5 stars from him, I still James is gonna give Fruitvale Station 3.5 stars. It looks too powerful and reviews have been too great for it not to get that much. I suppose I could be wrong, but I'm still predicting.

Likewise my prediction for Elysium. Maybe this summer will have several very good films after all.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:36 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

The timing for releasing Fruitvale Station couldn't be better, or more eerie, depending on how you look at it. In fact, I'm going to just go ahead and predict that the winner of Best Picture this year will have something to do with race relations. We've got a couple already with this, The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

The timing for releasing Fruitvale Station couldn't be better, or more eerie, depending on how you look at it. In fact, I'm going to just go ahead and predict that the winner of Best Picture this year will have something to do with race relations. We've got a couple already with this, The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.

If Nelsen Mandela dies this year, and I don't know what his current his conditions are, but last I heard, it didn't sound very good, the Mandela movie could be HUGE.

And of course, I just saw the trailer for 12 Years a Slave and the movie looks INCREDIBLE!

But with the whole Edward Snowden making news, I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy went with something topical like the Fifth Estate, which also recently released a trailer and also looks incredible.

Either way, it's about time we get to some great movies coming out since the first half of 2013 was been a virtual dead zone.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 am