Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 am

Need Netflix Instant Recommendations, and Fast 
Producer

Post Re: Need Netflix Instant Recommendations, and Fast
PeachyPete wrote:
If you watch Barton Fink on an iPad, I'm going to punch you in the fucking face.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again petition the ReelViews staff for a "like" button.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm
Director

Quote:
Unfaithfully Yours (1948) ****

Fucking finally. I've been waiting all year for a unqualified **** film to hop into my lap and this Preston Sturges one was just magnificent. Clever as a comedy, interesting in its use of music, bold in its staging and impeccably acted, it left me with a big old smile on my face and convinced me that I need to watch more Sturges. All three films of his I've seen (The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, and this one) cracked my End of the Year list with ease. It's a rare older movie that can make me laugh, but Sturges is 3 for 3. Time for more!

You should watch the rest of his films(he didn't make many)
All are very good. Think you'd really like Hail The Conquering Hero

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:59 pm
Producer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Unfaithfully Yours (1948) ****

Fucking finally. I've been waiting all year for a unqualified **** film to hop into my lap and this Preston Sturges one was just magnificent. Clever as a comedy, interesting in its use of music, bold in its staging and impeccably acted, it left me with a big old smile on my face and convinced me that I need to watch more Sturges. All three films of his I've seen (The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, and this one) cracked my End of the Year list with ease. It's a rare older movie that can make me laugh, but Sturges is 3 for 3. Time for more!

You should watch the rest of his films(he didn't make many)
All are very good. Think you'd really like Hail The Conquering Hero

And The Miracle of Morgan's Creek and The Palm Beach Story. Sturges was on a roll there in the 40's.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm
Director

what did you end up watching, James?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:23 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
what did you end up watching, James?

Just watched and liked The Desert Fox. Then that inspired me to watch The Desert Rats, also on instant, which wasn't as good.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:57 pm
Producer

This is semi-off-topic, but has anyone else noticed how searching for movies by the names of people involved in them often doesn't yield results? For instance, because movies seem to be mainly indexed by actors, you can get Bringing Out the Dead by searching for Nicolas Cage, but not for Paul Schrader.

Most annoying.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
This is semi-off-topic, but has anyone else noticed how searching for movies by the names of people involved in them often doesn't yield results? For instance, because movies seem to be mainly indexed by actors, you can get Bringing Out the Dead by searching for Nicolas Cage, but not for Paul Schrader.

Most annoying.

Yeah you can search for directors and actors, but not writers. Stupid not-auteurs.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 pm
Producer

I punched in Charlie Kaufman the other day, and no listings. But it did inform me that people who search for these terms usually end up streaming Being John Malkovich. Ay yi yi...

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 pm