Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:19 pm

JB's First 3.5-Star Movie of 2013 
Cinematographer

Post JB's First 3.5-Star Movie of 2013
Possibilities include Pacific Rim, The Conjuring, The Hunt, The World's End, Fruitvale Station, The Way, Way Back, and maybe even Only God Forgives, although I would personally relegate all predictions to the first two titles.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Director

Post Re: JB's First 3.5-Star Movie of 2013
Hmmm, base on the time it looks really like Pacific Rim, and though I think it's going to be good, I still don't see it as a 3.5 level from him. As for The Conjuring, isn't the advance screening already past? But it's getting glowing reviews for a horror film, and I wish we would get a 3.5 horror from JB for a change. When was the last time that happened anyway, Blair Witch Project?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 am
Auteur

Conjuring looks pretty weak, I don't see JB falling in love with that film. I can see him liking but not loving Pacific Rim. World's End I can't see getting more then 3 stars. Not too sure what he'll think about Only God Forgives given all the negative reviews it's gotten.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:14 pm
Cinematographer

Given that it's on Netflix Instant, 56 Up?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm
Second Unit Director

56 Up is my guess. The previous two earned 3.5 stars so it's a safe bet. It lacks a shocking or emotional revelation but continues the series' successful run of feeling like a class reunion every 7 years.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:59 am
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
56 Up is my guess. The previous two earned 3.5 stars so it's a safe bet. It lacks a shocking or emotional revelation but continues the series' successful run of feeling like a class reunion every 7 years.

JB said he hasn't seen 56 Up yet, so it isn't that one. Maybe it's Byzantium?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

Yeah, right.

It's either going to be Fruitvale Station, The Conjuring, or The Hunt. One of those three.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm
Director

Quote:
Yeah, right.

It's either going to be Fruitvale Station, The Conjuring, or The Hunt. One of those three.

Or maybe it's Byzantium, like Vexer said? Considering JB has given high praise to several Neil Jordan films in the past? But if you're intention is to start another argument with Vexer or me, I won't stop you.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:04 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

Yeah, right.

JB said the review for the 3.5 star film would be posted on either Tuseday or Wednesday and I don't see Fruitvale Station or The Hunt on his upcoming reviews list, so i'm pretty sure it's not either one of those, and I just don't see him giving Conjuring more then 3 stars.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm
Cinematographer

Well, when he responded to my post on his Pacific Rim review, he didn't say anything about The Conjuring, so perhaps he's trying to keep it under wraps. He might have excluded Fruitvale and Hunt in order to make it something of a surprise. And I can't see why he would hold back on posting his Byzantium review until next week, given that it's been out for some time now.

It's not an impossibility, and I won't be shocked if he does give Byzantium a high rating, but I just can't see it happening. In a private message, he said that he would be seeing The Conjuring this week, so he's probably seen it by now.

No one's trying to start an argument. I just find it hard to believe that he would go with Byzantium. Could be wrong. We'll see.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Hmmm, base on the time it looks really like Pacific Rim, and though I think it's going to be good, I still don't see it as a 3.5 level from him. As for The Conjuring, isn't the advance screening already past? But it's getting glowing reviews for a horror film, and I wish we would get a 3.5 horror from JB for a change. When was the last time that happened anyway, Blair Witch Project?

Actually he gave both Identity and The Mist ***1/2 (although the former ended up warping into more of a psychological thriller towards the end). Oh yeah, almost forgot about Paranormal Activity as well and there may be one or two that I missing here. I wonder if he's seen Elysium yet even though it isn't listed on his upcoming reviews currently. For the time being though, I'm gonna go with The Conjuring which, even from my perspective, looks uncommonly good for a horror film.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Director

And someone called other people touchy.

But it might as well be Byzantium. Some Neil Jordan films elicit strong reactions from people, whether positive and negative, and this looks like it might be one of them (like The Brave One, which was very divided and JB also gave that 3.5).

I still hope it's The Conjuring though. (Ah yes, I forgot The Mist and PA) I know most have major problems with Insidious, which I love, but the early reviews of Conjuring seem to indicate a huge improvement over the earlier Wan film. One trusted critic I follow on twitter saw an advance screening and I like his reaction description of the audience being played like a grand piano the whole time. Make me really anticipate it more.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 pm
Cinematographer

So, according to JB, it comes out next week, so that should probably mean either The Conjuring or Only God Forgives. I know that he saw The Conjuring last week, and I'm not sure if Only God Forgives has screened for many American critics, let alone ones in New Jersey.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:39 am
Second Unit Director

I kinda think it's Only God Forgives. We know JB's a fan of anything sexual, so the Freudian stuff might work well for him. I think Conjuring is certainly possible because of how much he enjoys well constructed horror and strong female performances. But I think it's foolish to dismiss that it could be Byzantium.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
I kinda think it's Only God Forgives. We know JB's a fan of anything sexual, so the Freudian stuff might work well for him. I think Conjuring is certainly possible because of how much he enjoys well constructed horror and strong female performances. But I think it's foolish to dismiss that it could be Byzantium.

Right, someone else mentioned that JB had previously given a Neil Jordan film 3.5 stars, and Byzantium certainly sounds like it has potential to be a 3.5 star film, so that one is my guess.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:22 pm
Director

Quote:
But I think it's foolish to dismiss that it could be Byzantium.

The track record for Neil Jordan: 3.5 stars for The Crying Game, Michael Collins, and The Brave One. 4 Stars for Mona Lisa. 3 stars for Interview with a Vampire. JB has given a positive review for ever Neil Jordan film he has written on.

Maybe it won't be Byzantium, but that's the most likely at this point. Is Conjuring so much better than Saw and Insidious that it'll get 3.5 stars from him all of a sudden when previous James Wan films didn't come close to that? Paranormal Activity notwithstanding, it seems unlikely to me. Bronson got 2.5 stars, and buzz for God Forgives isn't great. Byzantium also looks like it has some of the melodrama of past 3.5 star reviews from JB: I'm reminded of An Education, Atonement, and Hanna, not just because of the lead actress.

All those elements are nearly enough to make it just as confounding as 4 years ago when JB said "I have a 4 star movie, but basterd that I am, I won't reveal it yet" and people still doubted what it was. Maybe Byzantium isn't as likely as I think it is, but it seems so to me.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 pm
Director

I'm sure its The Conjuring, the buzz has been incredible for a while.

And pretty sure James watched Byzantium via VOD(its only playing theatrically in LA I believe)
Would be weird to see a review of something watched that way get 3.5(& its reviews are not as good as Conjuring - JB is generally pretty predictable, he goes with general consensus most of the time, he would be one the of the few top critics to highly praise Byzantium if he does give it 3.5, just don't see that)

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 am
Director

calvero wrote:
I'm sure its The Conjuring, the buzz has been incredible for a while.

And pretty sure James watched Byzantium via VOD(its only playing theatrically in LA I believe)
Would be weird to see a review of something watched that way get 3.5(& its reviews are not as good as Conjuring - JB is generally pretty predictable, he goes with general consensus most of the time, he would be one the of the few top critics to highly praise Byzantium if he does give it 3.5, just don't see that)

Conjuring should definitely do a good box office. Well, you're probably right, the only thing I'd counter with is that the general consensus for The Brave One was poor as well.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 am

And now there's gonna be a second ***1/2 film per the man's Twitter page. I'm guessing right now Fruitvale Station and The
Conjuring
?

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
But I think it's foolish to dismiss that it could be Byzantium.

The track record for Neil Jordan: 3.5 stars for The Crying Game, Michael Collins, and The Brave One. 4 Stars for Mona Lisa. 3 stars for Interview with a Vampire. JB has given a positive review for ever Neil Jordan film he has written on.

Maybe it won't be Byzantium, but that's the most likely at this point. Is Conjuring so much better than Saw and Insidious that it'll get 3.5 stars from him all of a sudden when previous James Wan films didn't come close to that? Paranormal Activity notwithstanding, it seems unlikely to me. Bronson got 2.5 stars, and buzz for God Forgives isn't great. Byzantium also looks like it has some of the melodrama of past 3.5 star reviews from JB: I'm reminded of An Education, Atonement, and Hanna, not just because of the lead actress.

All those elements are nearly enough to make it just as confounding as 4 years ago when JB said "I have a 4 star movie, but basterd that I am, I won't reveal it yet" and people still doubted what it was. Maybe Byzantium isn't as likely as I think it is, but it seems so to me.

Actually he was less than enthused about In Dreams to which he only awarded **.

Last edited by oafolay on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

Now on another note, does anyone else find it just hilarious that we're making these guesses for ***1/2 films? Just goes to show how weak this year has been thus far.

Last edited by oafolay on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW