Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Breaking Bad 
Post Re: Breaking Bad
Yeah, I just rewatched 1-4 (again) in preparation for Season 5. The show is so smart, the acting so incredible, and the cinematography so creative and beautiful...

Did I mention I kinda love this show?

Mark, you are in for a treat. Season 4 just keeps getting better.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:54 am
Assistant Director

MunichMan wrote:
Yeah, I just rewatched 1-4 (again) in preparation for Season 5. The show is so smart, the acting so incredible, and the cinematography so creative and beautiful...

I really, really wish I could watch another episode right now. Gotta be up in only a few hours and really shouldn't sacrifice sleep for more Walt. Hard to resist, though. My attention span for continuing education can flag somewhat quickly but Breaking Bad obliterates my concerns that I just don't have the ability to sit still for 45 minutes -- if only my tiny subject of biology were as always-gripping as this show.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:04 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I really, really wish I could watch another episode right now. Gotta be up in only a few hours and really shouldn't sacrifice sleep for more Walt. Hard to resist, though. My attention span for continuing education can flag somewhat quickly but Breaking Bad obliterates my concerns that I just don't have the ability to sit still for 45 minutes -- if only my tiny subject of biology were as always-gripping as this show.

Waiting for the final episode of the summer on Sunday.... Excellent show, season 4 was indeed amazing, and Crawl Space remains my favorite episode of the show so far and one of my favorites of any show ever.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 am
Producer

IMO, as great as seasons 3 and 4 were (season 1 and 2 were good too, of course), season 5 takes the show to a whole new level.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:37 am
Assistant Director

So the new Walt is... MIKE?! Jesse has the worst possible choices in father figures.

Things are getting complicated: Hank's good intentions are now more threatening than ever, Walt is becoming so proud/immoral that he'll eventually circle back to Perfectly Angelic and I have absolutely no idea what I should hope for. None. No idea. Do I want Walt to succeed? Hank? Jesse? What does it mea if I hope things turn out okay for this group?!

Next up, episode 8, Hermanos.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 am
Mark III wrote:
So the new Walt is... MIKE?! Jesse has the worst possible choices in father figures.

Things are getting complicated: Hank's good intentions are now more threatening than ever, Walt is becoming so proud/immoral that he'll eventually circle back to Perfectly Angelic and I have absolutely no idea what I should hope for. None. No idea. Do I want Walt to succeed? Hank? Jesse? What does it mea if I hope things turn out okay for this group?!

Oh, man, that is a great episode. It really fleshes out the Gus character. One of my favorites. Right up there with Fly, One Minute, Crawlspace... damn, this list is going to grow too long.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:55 pm
Assistant Director

MunichMan wrote:
Mark III wrote:

Oh, man, that is a great episode. It really fleshes out the Gus character. One of my favorites. Right up there with Fly, One Minute, Crawlspace... damn, this list is going to grow too long.

I can understand why "Fly" would make someone's list -- it's a 45-minute, two-person one-act play. The rest of the episodes have high points, some more exciting while others more meditative or whatever, but this show succeeds because every episode is at least as good as the one before it. It's not like Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Veronica Mars where each episode had to stand alone. Breaking Bad is great television because it only works as a whole.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:19 pm
This is awesome. Breaking Bad (seasons 1&2) remix. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqdmqRg ... r_embedded

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:17 am
Second Unit Director

Well that had some pretty brutal moments. Can't say I loved the reveal at the end, but I guess it did the job to get the pieces in motion for the final 8 episodes.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:44 am
Producer

The moment I've been waiting for for a LONG time has finally happened! It's gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait for next summer! :(

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:29 pm
[Reveal] Spoiler: A humble plea to Vince Gilligan.
Please open the first episode after the hiatus with Hank still sitting on the crapper. This needs to happen.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 pm
Director

Terrific finale. Expected nothing less.

And to those whining about having to wait another year, I think the writers of BB can basically do whatever they want at this point. If they want to take a year to make sure they end this story right, so be it, go for it.

What a run this show has had, I remember getting into it around 2009 after hearing how great the first season of it was, and I never looked back.

In the mean time I might watch the first four seasons again. I feel like the excellence we saw in Season 4 made a lot of us, including me, forget just how outstanding the rest of the show was, especially the intense finale to Season 3 with Jesse and Gale.

This is the best show I have ever seen personally, and I have watched quite a bit of television. I can't wait to see how they decide to end it.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Just starting to get into this show. Caught AMC's Midnight Badness marathon last night. I, then, plan on watching the 13 episodes I missed from the beginning on Netflix Instant. And I'll probably watch it again on Blu-ray before the final episodes premiere.

Either way, based on the five episodes I saw last night, I'd have to say that it is one of the best shows on television, if not the best.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 pm
Producer

I'm currently rewatching my way through this show with my dad, who has never seen it before. We're currently in the middle of season four. I've seen every episode of the show multiple times with the exception of season five, which I've only seen once, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into those.

Season four is an odd one. It's almost as if the cast and crew overdosed on Hitchcock movies before filming. That isn't a bad thing.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I'm currently rewatching my way through this show with my dad, who has never seen it before. We're currently in the middle of season four. I've seen every episode of the show multiple times with the exception of season five, which I've only seen once, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into those.

Season four is an odd one. It's almost as if the cast and crew overdosed on Hitchcock movies before filming. That isn't a bad thing.

Have you/are you also watching the Midnight Badness marathons?

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:53 pm
Director

This bump has me go checking the premier date. Less than 1 month now!

Ranking the season:

3>1>4>2

Doesn't feel like 5.1 can fit in there, since it amounts to half a season, but if I have to put maybe equal to 3 or slightly above. All 8 episodes are stellar.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 pm
Producer

Season 5 is officially season 5. Meaning that they've abandoned the whole "first half of season 5 now, second half of season 5 later" and officially named the two halves seasons 5 and 6.

Which is fair enough. It's needlessly confusing. Bear in mind that at eight episodes, it's still longer than season 1.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:22 am
Director

For most of the episode, not really overwhelmed. I thought it was a very solid, table-setting episode, coasting along on great characters and deliberate (and logical) pacing... until the amazing last 5 minutes, that is. I've forgot during the break how the show loves to back its characters into impossible corners and have us watch breathlessly how they are going to emerge on the other side.

Welcome back, and great start. Add "Tread lightly" as another in the list of awesome Heisenberg memes.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 am
Producer

It's brilliant misdirection. Get people thinking that it can go one of two ways: either they'll address the end of the previous episode right away, or they'll draw it out over the course of several episodes. Then once people are thinking the latter, BAM. Get 'em in the last few minutes with the ol' fork in the eye.

Something tells me that Hank is the one guy on Earth that Walt can't beat.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 am
Producer

Haha, check this out. (Spoilered for people who didn't see last night's ep.)

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next