Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Worthy Sequels! 
Producer

Post Re: Worthy Sequels!
I think X-Men 3 was a worthy sequel. I also think Terminator 3 and 4 were both worthy, though still not exceptional films. I agree that T2 is the best.

Back to the Future 2 is good. I think The Lost World is better than the first Jurassic Park. Revenge of the Sith has many great moments, some of the best scenes in the series, but also very frustrating for its tedium.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:29 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Revenge of the Sith feels like two movies crammed into one, which is annoying, because Attack of the Clones felt like half a movie stretched out to feature length. They also share the same low quality dialogue and wooden acting.

... not unlike the old school serials and sci-fi B movies that inspired the series in the first place. :| Who's honestly ever claimed to watch Star Wars for its acting and dialogue? That's like listening to The Beach Boys for their lyrics (and I'm not talking their Pet Sounds/Smile era :P ).

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:15 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:
Revenge of the Sith feels like two movies crammed into one, which is annoying, because Attack of the Clones felt like half a movie stretched out to feature length. They also share the same low quality dialogue and wooden acting.

... not unlike the old school serials and sci-fi B movies that inspired the series in the first place. :| Who's honestly ever claimed to watch Star Wars for its acting and dialogue? That's like listening to The Beach Boys for their lyrics (and I'm not talking their Pet Sounds/Smile era :P ).

I'm trying not to get sucked into this again, but it's hard. Damn you to whoever brought up these films, seriously. :x

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 pm
Producer

Quote:
... not unlike the old school serials and sci-fi B movies that inspired the series in the first place. :| Who's honestly ever claimed to watch Star Wars for its acting and dialogue?

Amen! But in fairness, this film requires a fast forward button. I can't watch it without one.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:58 pm
Producer

H.I. McDonough wrote:

Nobody, but if they're so distractingly bad that people can't help but be taken out of the movie, then they're a problem whether they're supposed to be a prominent feature or not.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:24 am
Director

Ken wrote:

The dialogue has always been pretty bad in the Star Wars movies. But you are right about Attack of the Clones; it's too long, and there's not enough plot.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 am
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Ken wrote:

The dialogue has always been pretty bad in the Star Wars movies. But you are right about Attack of the Clones; it's too long, and there's not enough plot.

As a kid I never noticed the lack of plot, it did become a bit more obvious as an adult, still like the film though. Yeah the dialogue could get a little silly at times, but I didn't think it was THAT bad, and the original trilogy also had some pretty ridiculous dialogue at times(Harrison Ford even commented on it)

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:40 pm
Producer

A brief story: I saw Attack of the Clones in IMAX. This was back when IMAX movies could only be a certain length, so feature films shown in IMAX often had to be cut down. (The platter that the film sat on wasn't big enough to hold most feature films.) Attack of the Clones was no exception--a lot of the minor scenes had to be trimmed or cut out entirely. I remember liking the IMAX version of the movie more, and it makes me wonder how the other two prequels might be improved with some minor but crucial editorial rearranging. I especially remember that a lot of the Anakin/Padme romantic subplot was cut down.

I realize that I'm actually suggesting more Star Wars-related tinkering, but in this case I'm advocating subtraction rather than addition.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 pm
Producer

A more comprehensive list from me

1. Terminator 2 - as mentioned, far better than the still respectable 1st

2. Toy Story 3- the best of the lot. Has more depth than 95% of "grown up" films.

3. Empire Strikes Back - the best Star Wars film for me

4. Dark Knight Rises - the best Batman film

5. Godfather 2 - just to annoy Kunz

6. Ghostbuster 2 - yeah, not bad I guess

7. The Last Crusade - the best of the 3 for me

8. The Return of the king - as above

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

While I don't think it's as bad as its reputation would suggest, I also don't think it's quite up to par with the other titles mentioned here.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

5. Godfather 2 - just to annoy Kunz

Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough. I clearly need to go over it again... :) Just kidding.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
1. Terminator 2 - as mentioned, far better than the still respectable 1st

I just rewatched this last night. It's so stupidly good. It came out just a few years after Die Hard but outclasses the supposedly quintessential action film by leaps and bounds.

I'm not sure how I'd rate T2 in relation to the first. They're two very different movies, to be watched for very different reasons. But that's when you know you have a good fictional universe on your hands--it suits itself well to several kinds of stories.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 pm
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

While I don't think it's as bad as its reputation would suggest, I also don't think it's quite up to par with the other titles mentioned here.

Agreed. Ghostbusters and Men In Black are alike. Neither is a total disaster. But both are far lesser follow-ups to way better comedies.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 pm