Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635 ... 752  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
PeachyPete wrote:
Searching for Sugar Man

I was a little worried going into this one that it wouldn't live up to the hype, considering that just about everyone I know who enjoys movies seems to love it. If I'm being totally honest, I was a little disappointed in the movie immediately after it ended, seeing the film as a really interesting, unlikely story, but not a whole lot more. Over the course of the last few days, however, I've found myself thinking quite a bit about the implications of such an unlikely story. The film's genius is how it presents Rodriguez as an artist writing really intimate, political songs about not just America, but his native town of Detroit. His writing is really invested in what was going on in Detroit during the time period, yet, somehow, his music resonated with South Africans and was something of a touchstone in the anti-apartheid movement. It doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense, but it does really speak to the universal appeal of music. The movie scores points for presenting that plainly, but not doting on the idea.

I wasn't as moved by the climax as most seem to have been. Sure, it's uplifting, and it's always nice to see an artist recognized and appreciate for his/her work, but the film paints Rodriguez as such a mythical figure that I got the impression he wouldn't have really cared one way or the other if his work was never recognized. I'm not saying he was unappreciative, just that he seemed like the kind of guy who created his art for himself. In that sense, he's a true artist.

But even if you didn't care for Rodriguez's sake, what about the South Africans?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Searching for Sugar Man

I was a little worried going into this one that it wouldn't live up to the hype, considering that just about everyone I know who enjoys movies seems to love it. If I'm being totally honest, I was a little disappointed in the movie immediately after it ended, seeing the film as a really interesting, unlikely story, but not a whole lot more. Over the course of the last few days, however, I've found myself thinking quite a bit about the implications of such an unlikely story. The film's genius is how it presents Rodriguez as an artist writing really intimate, political songs about not just America, but his native town of Detroit. His writing is really invested in what was going on in Detroit during the time period, yet, somehow, his music resonated with South Africans and was something of a touchstone in the anti-apartheid movement. It doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense, but it does really speak to the universal appeal of music. The movie scores points for presenting that plainly, but not doting on the idea.

I wasn't as moved by the climax as most seem to have been. Sure, it's uplifting, and it's always nice to see an artist recognized and appreciate for his/her work, but the film paints Rodriguez as such a mythical figure that I got the impression he wouldn't have really cared one way or the other if his work was never recognized. I'm not saying he was unappreciative, just that he seemed like the kind of guy who created his art for himself. In that sense, he's a true artist.

But even if you didn't care for Rodriguez's sake, what about the South Africans?

You're right, it's really cool, and has to make them feel an odd combination of closure, hope, and excitment for the future.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 am
Cinematographer

Shinjuku Incident

Was cruising Netflix and spotted this 2009 Jackie Chan production that I never heard of. For that reason I didn't think it would be very good, but watched it out of curiosity.

It is 2 hours long and, with the exception of the last 30 minutes, is a very sterile movie. Its almost like watching fast cut documentary footage and it doesn't help at all that this version was dubbed. I will say that it isn't like any other movie I can really think of and for that reason I don't regret seeing it. But I also would not recommend it. Not typical Jackie Chan - it is grim and gritty, just not compelling. Perhaps it would have gained something with subtitles, but I don't think so.

A Chinese illegal in Japan works his way into the mob. 4/10

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 pm
Critic

Millions (2004) **

This Danny Boyle film has gotten a lot of love but I just didn't think it worked at all. A story about two children who find a quarter million pound sterling two days before the UK (fictionally) switches to the Euro, it irritated me the entire length of the film with poorly-drawn characters and a rambling, slow to develop plotline. One reviewer described it as "Trainspotting meets Amelie." I agree completely, except for the fact that he meant it as a compliment.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 pm
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
Shinjuku Incident

Was cruising Netflix and spotted this 2009 Jackie Chan production that I never heard of. For that reason I didn't think it would be very good, but watched it out of curiosity.

It is 2 hours long and, with the exception of the last 30 minutes, is a very sterile movie. Its almost like watching fast cut documentary footage and it doesn't help at all that this version was dubbed. I will say that it isn't like any other movie I can really think of and for that reason I don't regret seeing it. But I also would not recommend it. Not typical Jackie Chan - it is grim and gritty, just not compelling. Perhaps it would have gained something with subtitles, but I don't think so.

A Chinese illegal in Japan works his way into the mob. 4/10

Yeah for a Chan film I was expecting so much more, I found it OK but forgettable, one of his weaker efforts overall. For me Chan's absolute best film is New Police Story, one of my all time favorite movies period, I can't recommend it enough.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:44 pm
Director

A Separation

A fantastic, low-key drama. I think what makes this film so interesting is how it gives the viewer a glimpse into a culture usually derided and dismissed. At the end of the day, followers of Islam in the Middle East are much like the rest of us, though their issues of importance may be different than ours in America. As an example, some of the conflicts in this film involve whether certain actions would violate Islamic laws and traditions. I don't want to reveal too much, because this is a film best experienced with as little knowledge of the plot as possible. But it's quite a gem.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Millions (2004) **

This Danny Boyle film has gotten a lot of love but I just didn't think it worked at all. A story about two children who find a quarter million pound sterling two days before the UK (fictionally) switches to the Euro, it irritated me the entire length of the film with poorly-drawn characters and a rambling, slow to develop plotline. One reviewer described it as "Trainspotting meets Amelie." I agree completely, except for the fact that he meant it as a compliment.

Wow a jolt back to childhood. Haven't seen this since its release. I don't remember it much except that the kid was good, and that it was really enjoyable but there was some hard reality touches around the edge that made me slightly uncomfortable (sign of a good kid movie, I think).

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 pm
Producer

Scott Pilgrim v The World (2010)

Finally I got to sit down and watch this in peace.

And wow, what a spectacle. Parts of this film blew me away - such as the scene with Chris Evans as the jockish filmstar/skateboarder; and the amp-off towards the end of the film. Mind-blowing stuff. The direction and performances are top-notch - in particular from Jason Schwartzman in the final act. The romance side is handled with a degree of sublty and awkward realism, which I appreciated.

The one downside was the fact that the script didn't always live up to what was going on around it, and was prone to becoming swamped by what was on screen. I know the film is meant to portray the events and emotions in an overtly visual style, but in a couple of moments I thought the script stalled and sputtered, and was periodically dragged along like a broken car exaust.

All in all though, a pretty unforgettable film.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 am
Second Unit Director

This Is The End (2013)
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's take on the end of days and how a bunch of out of touch, self-absorbed Hollywood types handle it. Most of the actors involved have worked together early in their careers and often. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson have all had career intersections to some degree and in this movie they play either exaggerated versions of themselves, or exaggerated opposites of their real-life personas. There are lots of funny parts and a good number of jump-scares throughout. A good deal of the humor, though, is very much tied to the actors and their history together; I don't know that you could show this movie to a crowd unfamiliar with these actors and it would be half as funny. To be sure, there are still laughs independent of the celebrity, but most of the film's conceit hinges on it.

About the only miscast in my mind is Emma Watson. Not that she doesn't play it well, and her character IS an outsider to the core group, but what's she doing at a party at James Franco's place in the first place? I understand she was a late addition to the script, but it was more of a distraction trying (and failing) to figure out what her connection was to this group of actors.

The special effects are pretty good and the comedy is pretty raunchy at parts; about what you'd expect out of these guys. Not great cinema, but entertaining. 3.0 / 4.0

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:36 am
Director

The Bling Ring

I must say, Sofia Coppola took on a challenging subject with this one. Focusing on five kids who are celebrity-obsessed to the point where they break into the stars' houses and steal their stuff, The Bling Ring is a film that features no protagonists. Everyone in this movie is an asshole, and equally hateable. It's not easy to make a film like this, but it works for the most part. Fans of Coppola's work will like it; it's also pretty accessible for non-fans. It's just not very pleasant.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:48 am
Cinematographer

The Blob (1988) After watching the original last week for the first time, I decided to revisit this remake, which I hadn't seen since, well, the 80's. The film improves in every weakness of the original: the tone is more serious and horror-oriented, the special effects, although uneven, are way better than the original, the overall story is tighter and better constructed, and the performances are decent. The remake amps up the gore significantly with some really cool deaths, even if the blob effects were still uneven, particularly towards the end. Moreover, I was impressed with how bold the film was by killing most of what seemed to be the lead cast during its first hour, and killing two kids during its climax.

One of the film's main flaws is its attempt to try to explain too much. Although the government conspiracy/cover-up was a nice touch, the film sorta unravels towards its last half hour as the nature of the blob is explained too much. Plus, the end is plagued with some inevitable 80's cheese and action-film clichés, like Brian jumping the ravine, or using a bazooka to escape the sewers, or Meg screaming silly one-liners while shooting a machine gun at the blob. Still, I found myself impressed at how much I enjoyed it. Grade: Before the last half-hour, it was close to a B+, but then it sunk a bit, so a straight B give or take.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
The Blob (1988) After watching the original last week for the first time, I decided to revisit this remake, which I hadn't seen since, well, the 80's. The film improves in every weakness of the original: the tone is more serious and horror-oriented, the special effects, although uneven, are way better than the original, the overall story is tighter and better constructed, and the performances are decent. The remake amps up the gore significantly with some really cool deaths, even if the blob effects were still uneven, particularly towards the end. Moreover, I was impressed with how bold the film was by killing most of what seemed to be the lead cast during its first hour, and killing two kids during its climax.

One of the film's main flaws is its attempt to try to explain too much. Although the government conspiracy/cover-up was a nice touch, the film sorta unravels towards its last half hour as the nature of the blob is explained too much. Plus, the end is plagued with some inevitable 80's cheese and action-film clichés, like Brian jumping the ravine, or using a bazooka to escape the sewers, or Meg screaming silly one-liners while shooting a machine gun at the blob. Still, I found myself impressed at how much I enjoyed it. Grade: Before the last half-hour, it was close to a B+, but then it sunk a bit, so a straight B give or take.

Oh I love this film. It's not great, but it's a lot of fun

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Oh I love this film. It's not great, but it's a lot of fun

I love it too, it's a massive improvement over the original film.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 pm
Cinematographer

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/
Somehow never watched this at the time of release, but in gearing up to watch the sequel I decided to give it a look. Fortunately, I hadn't missed anything. Things get shot up and destroyed real good (including the Eiffel tower) and it even has sword fights(!). The violence is cartoonish to the point of absurdity. None of it makes any sense.
5/10

G.I. Joe: Retaliation
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583421/
More of the same, but it somehow manages to be even more boring than the first one. You'd think The addition of Dwayne Johnson would be more helpful. I seriously dozed off a few times without the excuse of being sleepy (or drunk). Worse yet, this occurred during the action sequences, which strangely convey absolutely no sense of exhileration or excitment. This film is exactly NOT like Olympus Has Fallen, which is action done right. The only scene I enjoyed was the sketch about all Bruce Willis' hidden guns. GIJ:R is at least 30 minutes too long. Incidentally this would be yet another blockbuster film released in 2013 that involves an attack/abduction of the US president (I count 3 now). What is Hollywood trying to tell us?
4/10

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
The violence is cartoonish to the point of absurdity.

You'd think it was based off from a cartoon or something. :)

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Touché.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:39 pm
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Touché.

Personally I really enjoyed both of those films, the cartoonish aspects were what made them so much fun.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Pacific Rim - ***1/2 out of *****

I just got back from seeing this film, and I liked it. It wasn't particularly innovative or thought-provoking as far as the story goes, but Del Toro knew enough to keep the pacing of the film brisk so as to quickly move past the questions that the plot brings up. Basically, this film delivered what it promised: giant robots beating up monsters. The battle scenes were well-done, and the visual effects were top-notch. This is definitely a film you should view in 3D rather than 2D, and moreover, I didn't notice the issues that JB and others did with regards to some of the scenes being too dark to view properly, even in the last battle scene. Of course, that could just be because the theater I viewed in may have compensated for the dimness somehow.

It's a testament to the pace that Del Toro set for the film in that I didn't have the following questions until after I left the theater and more fully processed what I saw:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- As it was established that the aliens were capable of it, why didn't they just build up a force of Gaiju and send 10 or more at a time rather than 1? The Jaegers had trouble dealing with just the single and pairs of Category 4 Gaiju that were sent through, so imagine them trying to deal with an entire army of them.
- Why were the government heads so fucking stupid as to think that a *wall* was a better idea than Jaegers in defending against the Gaiju threat? History already showed how useless static defenses could be (eg: Maginot Line, Great Wall of China, etc), and this was even before it was established that at least some Gaiju are capable of flight. The fact that they kept thinking that the wall was still a good idea even after a Gaiju plowed through one at Sydney, Australia (when the film introduced the Striker Jaeger piloted by that father-and-son team) without even being slowed down by it is mindboggling in hindsight.
- What's to say that the aliens who created the Gaiju couldn't just open another rift somewhere else on the planet? I guess that could be the basis for a possible sequel, but seriously, that would give me sleepless nights if I were living in that world.

I guess in the end, I have to say that this was a fun film, albeit in a disposable way.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:13 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:

I just got back from seeing this film, and I liked it. It wasn't particularly innovative or thought-provoking as far as the story goes, but Del Toro knew enough to keep the pacing of the film brisk so as to quickly move past the questions that the plot brings up. Basically, this film delivered what it promised: giant robots beating up monsters. The battle scenes were well-done, and the visual effects were top-notch. This is definitely a film you should view in 3D rather than 2D, and moreover, I didn't notice the issues that JB and others did with regards to some of the scenes being too dark to view properly, even in the last battle scene. Of course, that could just be because the theater I viewed in may have compensated for the dimness somehow.

It's a testament to the pace that Del Toro set for the film in that I didn't have the following questions until after I left the theater and more fully processed what I saw:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- As it was established that the aliens were capable of it, why didn't they just build up a force of Gaiju and send 10 or more at a time rather than 1? The Jaegers had trouble dealing with just the single and pairs of Category 4 Gaiju that were sent through, so imagine them trying to deal with an entire army of them.
- Why were the government heads so fucking stupid as to think that a *wall* was a better idea than Jaegers in defending against the Gaiju threat? History already showed how useless static defenses could be (eg: Maginot Line, Great Wall of China, etc), and this was even before it was established that at least some Gaiju are capable of flight. The fact that they kept thinking that the wall was still a good idea even after a Gaiju plowed through one at Sydney, Australia (when the film introduced the Striker Jaeger piloted by that father-and-son team) without even being slowed down by it is mindboggling in hindsight.
- What's to say that the aliens who created the Gaiju couldn't just open another rift somewhere else on the planet? I guess that could be the basis for a possible sequel, but seriously, that would give me sleepless nights if I were living in that world.

I guess in the end, I have to say that this was a fun film, albeit in a disposable way.

Glad to see you pointed out about your theatre compensating very well for the dimness. Some do not do because they think that stretches the life of the lamp, in fact, a few of films I saw in my local cinema, they look definitely better when I played them in my 3D TV. Most of the cool scenes of this films are at night/rain/under sea so make more necessary for these dimness compensation in 3D. Unfortunately I live in a small city (around 200K) and my local Cinema seems do not bother or just use a setting for everything in 3D. IMAX 3D because they focus in quality they really care about all the proper settings, unfortunately for me I do not live in Melbourne otr Sydney ): .In regarding the movie itself, I had fun while watching it with a more better choreography fighting scenes that for instance Transformers (Del Toro always better than Bay in my view) . Idris Elba performance was good as usual. Charlie Hunnam was OK and the story behind well 2 minutes after I left the Cinema I forgot about lol. A solid 3 stars for me.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Glad to see you pointed out about your theatre compensating very well for the dimness. Some do not do because they think that stretches the life of the lamp, in fact, a few of films I saw in my local cinema, they look definitely better when I played them in my 3D TV. Most of the cool scenes of this films are at night/rain/under sea so make more necessary for these dimness compensation in 3D. Unfortunately I live in a small city (around 200K) and my local Cinema seems do not bother or just use a setting for everything in 3D. IMAX 3D because they focus in quality they really care about all the proper settings, unfortunately for me I do not live in Melbourne otr Sydney ): .In regarding the movie itself, I had fun while watching it with a more better choreography fighting scenes that for instance Transformers (Del Toro always better than Bay in my view) . Idris Elba performance was good as usual. Charlie Hunnam was OK and the story behind well 2 minutes after I left the Cinema I forgot about lol. A solid 3 stars for me.

My local theaters are also pretty good about 3-D, both Resident Evil: Afterlife and Retribution both looked fntastic and there was little to no dimming whatsoever, World War Z was also pretty good in 3-D, there were a few scenes where it was a bit hard to focus like the apartment chase scene, but I think that more to do with the directing style then the 3-D itself, by the end I was so engrossed in the film that I had forgotten I was even watching it in 3-D.

Anyways since Pacific Rim was post-converted and not filmed in 3-D, i'm not convinced it's worth the extra surcharge, plus at one of my theaters the 2-D version actually has more showtimes then the 3-D version does.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635 ... 752  Next