Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

I need book recommendations! 
Second Unit Director

Post I need book recommendations!
I need some book recommendations guys. I'm up for anything, so please recommend away.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 pm
Producer

Post Re: I need book recommendations!
If you're into autobiographies then I would recommend KISS: Behind The Mask and Motley Crue: The Dirt, even if you're not a fan of their music, they're both pretty fascinating reads.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm
Second Unit Director

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Go read those books now.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Rawhide Down which is the non-fiction, step-by-step telling of the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan. Good read.

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson is non-fiction but told like a story and juxtaposes Marconi's invention of radio against the infamous Hawley Crippen murder case in London and how one affected the other. Very interesting narrative of both events.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 pm
Second Unit Director

i would recommend anything by an author called David Lodge.
Especially "therapy"

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:35 pm
Critic

I already recommended a big bunch of Stephen King to you. In addition, I will recommend:

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux

Told from the perspective of thirteen year old Charlie, The Mosquito Coast watches as a brilliant but somewhat unhinged inventor takes his family out of America (which he believes is bound for destruction) and into the jungles of Honduras, where he hopes to make a utopian society. Things don't go exactly as planned...

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris

The first book from the author of Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs, Black Sunday is about the attempts of an Israeli commando to stop a terrorist attack on the Superbowl. A very skillful thriller

If you haven't read it, you must

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
If you're into autobiographies then I would recommend KISS: Behind The Mask and Motley Crue: The Dirt, even if you're not a fan of their music, they're both pretty fascinating reads.

The Dirt! Christ, I needed to take a shower after reading that. I listened to Motley Crue growing up, and after reading The Dirt, I have no idea how all four of them are still alive.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:47 pm
Producer

Grab the first couple volumes of The Sandman. Then say goodbye to a lot more money when you inevitably buy the rest of the set.

This is my desert island book... which is cheating because it's 10 volumes long, but fuck that. It's way too good not to cheat.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm
Director

A few favorites of mine.

White Noise (Don Delillo)

A very early example of post-modern fiction. Written circa 1983, it's eeriely prescient in its depiction of information overload, isolation and tendency to overmedicate and as I noted, it was written long before the Internet, 24 hour news channels and quick fix medications for every problem. The saire is done well and the characters are developed well. Plus it also introduced the phrase "Airborne Toxic Event" Into the lexicon.

Darkness Take My Hand (Dennis Lehane)

From the author of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Shutter Island, this is the second entry in his Kenzie/Gennaro series and in my view among the best thriller novels ever written. The plot is well-dione. But the prime foxus is on the characters. The sotry follows two provate investigators who are hired to look into a case involving a psychologist and her son who have gotten into some trouble with the Irish Mob. But the case sheds light on corruption in the past and opens the door for the return of a serial killer who had terrorized Boston in the 70s and 80s. Superb thriller with more depth than most. One of my goals is to make a movie out of it.

Empire Falls (Richard Russo)

Pretty much all of Russo's books are worth a read (aside from maybe Mohawk where he was still finding his voice). But this one is definitely his masterpiece.

Enjoy.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
A few favorites of mine.

Darkness Take My Hand (Dennis Lehane)

From the author of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Shutter Island, this is the second entry in his Kenzie/Gennaro series and in my view among the best thriller novels ever written. The plot is well-dione. But the prime foxus is on the characters. The sotry follows two provate investigators who are hired to look into a case involving a psychologist and her son who have gotten into some trouble with the Irish Mob. But the case sheds light on corruption in the past and opens the door for the return of a serial killer who had terrorized Boston in the 70s and 80s. Superb thriller with more depth than most. One of my goals is to make a movie out of it.

DUDE! That's MY FAVORITE KENZIE/GENNARO TOO

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Thanks guys! Please keep the recommendations coming.

Ken wrote:
Grab the first couple volumes of The Sandman. Then say goodbye to a lot more money when you inevitably buy the rest of the set.

This is my desert island book... which is cheating because it's 10 volumes long, but fuck that. It's way too good not to cheat.

Sadman by Neil Gaiman? If so I just got the "Absolute" Sandman Volume 1 and I have to say it is the most ambitious graphic novel I have ever read--its quite terrific as well.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:48 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"The Fault in our Stars" by John Green
"Running for my Life" by Lopez Lomong & Mark Tabb
"Life Itself" by Roger Ebert
"Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile WWW