Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Worthy Sequels! 
Critic

Post Worthy Sequels!
The Remakes vs. Sequels thread created a desire for a list of worthy remakes and sequels. I've made a thread for each.

And now some sequels. I'd appreciate it if everyone didn't nominate Grown Ups 2 -- we all know it's going to be amazing, but we should at least see it yet. Show some class, people!

Aliens

Both Alien and Aliens are in my favorite films list. One is one of the best horror films ever made, the other is one of the best action movies ever made. God bless em both

Terminator 2

I waffle on whether I prefer the smooth polish of T2 or the charming grittiness of the original, but there's no question it's a terrific sequel

Before Sunset/Midnight

Pretty much a case in point if ever someone says sequels shouldn't exist. *Sigh* Oh Jesse and Celine

Special dishonorable mention: The Godfather Part II

Some people think it's better than the original. To me, it's a fine enough film, but it shouldn't have been made. In every way it's a bad sequel. Made because the original made a fortune, it tells one story that was already thematically told in the original (Michael Corleone's ascent to soulless power) and one story that they cobbled together from the unused parts of the book, with no real connection between them.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:07 am
Director

Post Re: Worthy Sequels!
JamesKunz wrote:
Aliens

Both Alien and Aliens are in my favorite films list. One is one of the best horror films ever made, the other is one of the best action movies ever made. God bless em both

Terminator 2

I waffle on whether I prefer the smooth polish of T2 or the charming grittiness of the original, but there's no question it's a terrific sequel

Before Sunset/Midnight

Pretty much a case in point if ever someone says sequels shouldn't exist. *Sigh* Oh Jesse and Celine

To those I add:

Spiderman 2-The original told the origin story quite well. This legitimately continued the story and gave Spider-man a chance to be Spider-Man without sacrificing anything in relation to character.

Silence Of The Lambs-Technically since it folows up Manhunter (albeit not directly) it's a sequel. It definitely earns its classic status.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am
Director

Quote:

Some people think it's better than the original. To me, it's a fine enough film, but it shouldn't have been made. In every way it's a bad sequel. Made because the original made a fortune, it tells one story that was already thematically told in the original (Michael Corleone's ascent to soulless power) and one story that they cobbled together from the unused parts of the book, with no real connection between them.

Worth it for Hyman Roth alone. Such a great character, the only one who isn't afraid of Michael.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Aliens

Terminator 2

Before Sunset/Midnight

To those I add:

Spiderman 2-The original told the origin story quite well. This legitimately continued the story and gave Spider-man a chance to be Spider-Man without sacrificing anything in relation to character.

Silence Of The Lambs-Technically since it folows up Manhunter (albeit not directly) it's a sequel. It definitely earns its classic status.

I love Silence of the Lambs, but don't think the movie is a sequel in any real regard.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:43 am
Assistant Director

Leaping immediately to mind are.....

The Empire Strikes Back-- The most mature and emotionally compelling of all the Star Wars movies. "Luke, I am your father." 'Nuff said.

The Dark Knight (and to a slightly lesser extent The Dark Knight Rises)-- The only superhero film I can think of that plays by real-world rules, or at least something very close to them. It works so splendidly as a crime drama and as social commentary that merely labeling it a superhero movie doesn't come close to doing it justice. The third movie injects a little more formula but is still superior entertainment.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

Despite all the strikes against it, I'm glad it happened. I do think it's a sloppier movie and that it's superfluous in terms of taking care of unresolved business (the first movie is a Swiss fuckin' watch), but it's a rich piece of storytelling in its own right. It gives us another chance to spend time in the company of these fascinating characters, whose arc in this one does not simply retread old ground.

And, like the first film, everything it takes from the lurid, tawdry book is elevated by Coppola, Willis, Rota, et al.

--

As with a previous thread, I'll pick some obvious choices that inexplicably didn't get picked right away: the Star Wars sequels. (Yes, Empire and Jedi.) While the first Star Wars is a hermetically sealed, Platonically ideal space adventure in its own right, Empire is the one that expands the scope of the story into the stuff of tragedy. And while Jedi doesn't pack nearly the same dramatic punch, it's such a great universe and the characters have become so appealing that point that it's just nice to have another chance to visit with them. I get genuinely verklempt during the Ewok village celebration at the end, partly because the Ewoks are terrible but also because it's the end of a grand story. It's the big send-off for these wonderful characters.

And while I'm not sure it counts, I'll bring up Wrath of Khan. The filmmakers' position is that the previous movie didn't happen, but the official title has a "II" in it. I suppose the "II" wins by technicality.

I'll also bring up Back To The Future, Part II. I'm not about to say it's perfect or even better than the first (in some ways, they have the same relationship as the two Godfather movies), but who doesn't have fond memories of the bizarre logic-bending machinations that put Marty McFly in the same room as Marty McFly? This is the real science fiction movie of the series, whereas the first one is much more of a romantic comedy and the third is basically a post-modern western.

EDIT:

KWRoss, sneaking in before my post like a ninja.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 am
Director

Toy Story 2, and to a greater extent, Toy Story 3. Jeeze, just thinking about the last one still got me a bit emotional, without fail. It's like watching your childhood unfold and brought to its natural end on screen. After that one Pixar can get a pass from me if they make 5 mediocre ones in a row (which luckily didn't happen; yeah Cars 2 was really bland, but I like Brave's unique story direction and I've heard MU was a return to form).

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm
Critic

KWRoss wrote:

The Empire Strikes Back-- The most mature and emotionally compelling of all the Star Wars movies. "Luke, I am your father." 'Nuff said.

Missssssssssssquote

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm
Second Unit Director

I second the thoughts about the Toy Story sequels. It's so rare that followups can match the wit and charm of the original step for step. All three. They moved me.

And Spiderman 2 is also seconded for reasons already stated. I'd put X-2 in the same vein. Bryan Singer's second effort in the X-men movies elevated the franchise.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:21 pm
Auteur

Taleswapper wrote:
I second the thoughts about the Toy Story sequels. It's so rare that followups can match the wit and charm of the original step for step. All three. They moved me.

And Spiderman 2 is also seconded for reasons already stated. I'd put X-2 in the same vein. Bryan Singer's second effort in the X-men movies elevated the franchise.

Agreed, I also personally think X-3 and Spiderman 3 are worthy enough films in they're own right.

There's also Expendables 2, it cranked the action up to 11 and delivered on the fanservice. Can't wait for the third film.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:47 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Missssssssssssquote

Right, "No. I am your father."

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:53 pm
Producer

Terminator 2

Better, slicker and less ravaged by time than T1

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 pm
Director

Not yet mentioned (but should be):

"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"*
"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"* (*if you don't count the whole thing as one film)
"Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior"
"Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome"
"Back to the Future, Part III"
"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
"The Bourne Supremacy"
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" (not up to the first 2, but still pretty damn good for having no involvement from Cameron)
"The Four Musketeers"
"Superman II" (though still not as good as it could've been had the Salkinds not intervened)
"Lethal Weapon 2"
"Hi, Mom!" (sequel to Brian DePalma's first film "Greetings")
"Die Hard 2: Die Harder"
"Die Hard: With a Vengeance"
"The Return of a Man Called Horse"
"Saraband"
"Monsters University" (actually a prequel, of course -- the story is hardly groundbreaking, but nonetheless effectively expands upon the universe of the first movie, as well as its beloved characters)

And I'm sure I'll catch some hell for even mentioning it, but:
"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"

Last edited by H.I. McDonough on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:08 pm
Cinematographer

The Dark Knight - full stop, period. It is one of the rare sequels that is better than the first film, not to mention being one of the best superhero films ever made.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 pm
Cinematographer

Several superhero films have had worthy sequels: Superman II, Spider-Man 2, and X2 come to mind.

Some comedies that had worthy sequels were: Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, Naked Gun 2 1/2, and maybe even Airplane II (certainly not better than the first one, but I still think it delivered).

Horror films are so uneven, but some that come to mind as worthy follow-ups are Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and Friday the 13th Part II, IV, and VI. I'm also a huge fan of Omen II, even if it's not better than the original. One opinion that I know is not very popular, but I found 28 Weeks Later superior to the first one. I loved that film.

Action films that have had solid sequels are Lethal Weapon 2, Die Hard 2, and the last two Mission: Impossible films (the second one sucked). The Bourne films are all pretty good too, except the Legacy one, which I haven't seen.

The Expendables 2, like someone else mentioned, polished the weaknesses of the first one and ended up being quite enjoyable. And speaking of Stallone, both Rambo and Rocky Balboa were pretty good. Rocky 2 was somewhat decent too, and Rocky IV is awesome for all the wrong reasons.

Another opinion I know it's not that popular, but I loved Terminator 3. I even think it's superior to the second one in several aspects. Still, my favorite is the first one easily.

The Toy Story films were all pretty good.

I also love all three Godfather films. Even the third one, warts and all.

Some that I don't necessarily see as sequels, but Kill Bill and Lord of the Rings.

Another weird mention, but I find U.S. Marshals to be a pretty solid spin-off.

And finally, Aliens, which is easily in my Top 10 of films.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
And I'm sure I'll catch some hell for even mentioning it, but:
"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"

No hell from me. I actually hold it as an equal to The Empire Strikes Back.

I enjoyed several of the Dirty Harry follow ups, but none as much as Magnum Force. The Bride of Frankenstein was a pretty good follow up.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 pm
Director

Agreed about Star Wars III. I first thought of that too the same time as the Toy Story sequels, but just wait to see if anyone would bring it up. Might not be the same level with Empire Strikes Back for me, but certainly on par with Star Wars IV.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm
Cinematographer

Revenge of the Sith isn't without flaws, but it certainly is way better than the previous two. But it still feels too rushed on its pace, and the final fight could've been vastly improved without all the CGI distractions and effects.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Revenge of the Sith feels like two movies crammed into one, which is annoying, because Attack of the Clones felt like half a movie stretched out to feature length. They also share the same low quality dialogue and wooden acting.

That said, if you took the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin lightsaber duel, cut out the dialogue, and shipped it in a time machine to the mid-90s, every Star Wars fan would be unshakably convinced that the prequels were going to kick even more ass than the originals.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm
Second Unit Director

How about the Rocky films.
The 1st and sixth had great depth and heart.
2, 3 & 4 has a spectacular amount of energy and excitement.

Ignore no. 5.

Dark Knight is the finest comic book adaptation ever.

I would also recommend "the color of money."

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:45 pm