Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 am

The worst animal movies! 
Second Unit Director

Post The worst animal movies!
This morning during on the Dan Patrick Show, the poll question of the day was, "What is the worst animal movie?" This was, of course, inspired by last night's premier of Sharknado.. I thought it would be fun to discuss here!

Some of them the titles tossed out on the show - Air Bud, Howard the Duck, Jaws the Revenge, Anaconda, Eight Legged Freaks, Snakes on a Plane.

That's far from a comprehensive list. There are lots of bad animal-themed movies out there! I was exposed to about 10 minutes of Underdog the other day while I was in Family Video. I believe that it is elevated somewhat simply because of the presence of Peter Dinklage, just like Snakes on a Plane was elevated by Samuel L. Jackson. There's also a movie that I had to endure with my nieces and nephews not long ago - G-Force. A Jerry Bruckheimer film featuring gerbils that are actually secret agents. The nieces and nephews loved it though.

I really liked Howard the Duck... but I was like 8 years old at that time. I'm sure an adult rewatch would prove horrifying. I heard that EVERY cast member received a Razzy for their performances - even Tim Robbins!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:07 pm
Auteur

Post Re: The worst animal movies!
I watched Howard The Duck when I was 14, I liked it then and I still kinda like it now. I liked all of those entries on the Dan Patrick show, Underdog was alright, not great but not horrible, same with G-Force.

Worst animal film I can think of Gus, I mean a mule playing football? really? Even as a kid I thought that was a dumb mobie. Edward Asner must be embarassed to have starred in that piece of crap.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I watched Howard The Duck when I was 14, I liked it then and I still kinda like it now. I liked all of those entries on the Dan Patrick show, Underdog was alright, not great but not horrible, same with G-Force.

Worst animal film I can think of Gus, I mean a mule playing football? really? Even as a kid I thought that was a dumb mobie. Edward Asner must be embarassed to have starred in that piece of crap.

G-Force was too cute. I don't like my action flicks to be too cute. :)

Gus. WOW. That's a real blast from the past. I had forgotten all about that one! Ha. So you can accept a dog playing basketball, but a mule playing football is crossing the line huh? ;)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:28 pm
Auteur

Taleswapper wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Gus. WOW. That's a real blast from the past. I had forgotten all about that one! Ha. So you can accept a dog playing basketball, but a mule playing football is crossing the line huh? ;)

Not so much that I couldn't buy it, just that dogs are much more interesting animals then mules, and IMO Air Bud had better acting, everyone in Gus looked like they were completely embarassed to be in the film. Though I will admit that Disney went way overboard with the DTV sequels to Air Bud.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 pm
Cinematographer

Two horrible one's from my youth that I wish I could've forgotten:

Frogs
Sssssss (snake theme)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Not so much that I couldn't buy it, just that dogs are much more interesting animals then mules, and IMO Air Bud had better acting, everyone in Gus looked like they were completely embarassed to be in the film. Though I will admit that Disney went way overboard with the DTV sequels to Air Bud.

I thought both Gus and Air Bud were pretty lame. Most of those non-animated Disney animal movies from the 70s were pretty lame although I admit to a guilty pleasure enjoyment of The Shaggy DA.

One I would consder among the worst of all-time: Gordy. A talking pig movie that was released a few months before Babe and more or less disappeared. Deservedly so, for if Babe was an example of a family film done right, Gordy was the exact opposite.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:15 am
Producer

Because of Winn-Dixie's pretty bad. I wanted to club baby harp seals afterward.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:01 am
Auteur

I used to watch both Babe and Gordy all the time as a kid. Another one that jumps to mind is that Matt LeBlanc film "Ed" about a baseball playing chimp.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:46 am
Producer

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Milo and Otis, reading about the behind-the-scenes filmmaking "techniques" is enough to wreck anybody's childhood innocence.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Milo and Otis, reading about the behind-the-scenes filmmaking "techniques" is enough to wreck anybody's childhood innocence.

Holy shit that's horrible! :cry: That film was a staple of my childhood, but now knowing about the animal cruelty, I don't think i'll ever be able to watch it again without feeling sick to my stomach.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:26 am
Director

Wow, Gordy's been absent from my mind for nearly 15 years. Forgot all about it, fairly good movie though. Turner & Hooch is good. I know I liked Mighty Joe Young way back in the day.

The worst: My Dog Skip, which is one of the worst movies I can remember growing up. EDIT: No, whoops. My Dog Skip was alright. I'm thinking of something else.

I was thinking of See Spot Run. Now that sucked.

I thought Snow Dogs was pretty lame too.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Wow, Gordy's been absent from my mind for nearly 15 years. Forgot all about it, fairly good movie though. Turner & Hooch is good. I know I liked Mighty Joe Young way back in the day.

The worst: My Dog Skip, which is one of the worst movies I can remember growing up. EDIT: No, whoops. My Dog Skip was alright. I'm thinking of something else.

I was thinking of See Spot Run. Now that sucked.

I thought Snow Dogs was pretty lame too.

I remember being fooled by the trailer for Snow Dogs as a kid into thinking it was a film about talking dogs and being somewhat dissapointed when it wasn't(the previews for Kangaroo Jack also fooled me), still an OK film in it's own right, also liked Spot.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 am
Director

Forgot about Kangaroo Jack. Not gonna say it was the worst though because I never saw it and have no intention of doing so except at gunpoint.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:02 am
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Forgot about Kangaroo Jack. Not gonna say it was the worst though because I never saw it and have no intention of doing so except at gunpoint.

Since you mentioned Kangaroos, there's a boxing kangaroo movie, Matilda, that's apparently really awful. The kangaroo is actually a man in a terrible kangaroo costume. NOT to be confused with the Danny deVito movie, which is good and doesn't have kangaroos.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:

It's really more of a buddy comedy then an animal film, with the kangaroo being more of a MacGuffin.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:03 pm
Producer

Know what's absolutely terrible? Hachi. I love cute dogs and I'm easily manipulated by cute dogs being sad, but this movie was just shameless. I suspect Richard Gere's character died so early in the movie because he wanted to leave that badly.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Know what's absolutely terrible? Hachi. I love cute dogs and I'm easily manipulated by cute dogs being sad, but this movie was just shameless. I suspect Richard Gere's character died so early in the movie because he wanted to leave that badly.

Never heard of that film, but it does sound pretty bad. I'm probably alone on this but I was not a huge fan of Marley And Me.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:39 pm
Director

I didn't mind Marley and Me, although before going in I thought I would. Equally a marriage movie and a dog movie, which is not what I expect but sure works nicely together. Over half the theater becomes a slobbering mess towards the end, though I strangely was OK. Then again a few hours before getting dragged to that movie I had just watched Cinema Paradiso (the longer, more tragic director's cut), so my tear ducts probably was defective by then.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
I didn't mind Marley and Me, although before going in I thought I would. Equally a marriage movie and a dog movie, which is not what I expect but sure works nicely together. Over half the theater becomes a slobbering mess towards the end, though I strangely was OK. Then again a few hours before getting dragged to that movie I had just watched Cinema Paradiso (the longer, more tragic director's cut), so my tear ducts probably was defective by then.

I already knew about the dark turn the film took during the second half before I saw it, I just don't think the film really pulled it off all that well, it just didn't make me feel very "emotional" like it should have, I was very indifferent to it.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:10 pm
Producer

I'm not sure whether Skullduggery belongs here, because the whole question is whether the Tropi are sentient or not. But it is unquestionably one of the worst films ever made. It makes the moral questions of Bedtime for Bonzo seem like high philosophy. [And, no, Bedtime for Bonzo doesn't belong in this thread. It's not a great movie, but it's much better than the films we're considering, and has an intriguing premise.]

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:06 am