Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:56 am

Pacific Rim (2013) 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Pacific Rim (2013)
Taleswapper wrote:
Hmm... my local chain has only ONE showing today in 3D and ONE in 2D. But then I looked at tomorrow's schedule, and it was upped to two showings each for both formats. Interesting.

I was a little premature in my negative assessment of theaters in my area, as the one time per day only applied to 2D showings. There are zillions of times in my area for 3D showings, which is good, as this is a film that I actually want to see in that format.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Hmm... my local chain has only ONE showing today in 3D and ONE in 2D. But then I looked at tomorrow's schedule, and it was upped to two showings each for both formats. Interesting.

I was a little premature in my negative assessment of theaters in my area, as the one time per day only applied to 2D showings. There are zillions of times in my area for 3D showings, which is good, as this is a film that I actually want to see in that format.

I just saw it in normal 3D and agree with James:

Quote:
Pacific Rim is all about visuals so a comment or two is warranted about the presentation. The 3-D is, for the most part, used effectively but, as is often the case with this technology, there's an issue. About 75% of Pacific Rim transpires at night or deep under the ocean, where light is at a premium. 3-D by its nature diminishes the amount of light that reaches the viewer's eyes, and this becomes an issue. There are times when it's difficult to see what's happening in 3-D.

We do not have IMAX 3D in Hobart but I have read that it is very good there if you want to see it in 3D, if not possible then better 2D ;-). In regarding the film itself, a solid 3 stars from me too :-)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
What the hell!? A bellyflop of a box-office opening? I'm sorry but I just can't see that. People at the advance screening I went to enjoyed the hell out of it and were enthusiastically talking about it afterwards. If that's the case and this movie turns out to bomb, then shame on all of us. Apparently how enjoyable a movie is doesn't even matter anymore when it comes to making money. It's all about what property its based on and how to get the fanboys into theaters.

Looks like its didn't have much appeal to women(unlike Grown Ups2)
Transformers basically had a 50/50 split as far as gender. 61% of the audience being male for PR is pretty high, even for these types of movies.

Quote:
Opening in third place was the sci-fi actioner Pacific Rim with an estimated $38.3M from 3,275 theaters for a good $11,695 average. That was about even with the $37.1M bow of April's futuristic thriller Oblivion with Tom Cruise. Both were sci-fi action pics not based on known brands which also had 3D and IMAX contributing. Oblivion was star-driven but Pacific had a prime summer slot. District 9 from the summer of 2009 opened to a similar $37.4M.

Ordinarily this would be a very strong opening for an original action film with no major box office stars. However, Pacific Rim carried an enormous budget, reportedly in the $200M range, so it will take a long road to reach break-even. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, Rim tells the story of a time in the near future when humans build humungous robots to do battle with alien monsters on a mission to exterminate Earth's inhabitants.

Reviews were very positive and the CinemaScore grade was an encouraging A- which was the same as for other summer action flicks like Man of Steel, White House Down, and The Heat. This might indicate a good road ahead, although fanboy pics typically draw their main audience upfront. Studio research showed that males made up 61% of the crowd while 53% were over 25. The special effects were a big draw as 19% of the gross came from IMAX screens and 50% overall came from the 3D format.

Quote:
Going in to the weekend, some tracking suggested Pacific Rim was in for a truly terrible start (below $30 million). While it wound up opening noticeably better than that, its $38.3 million debut is still a little disappointing. Because director Guillermo Del Toro isn't a mainstream selling point, and because the movie was entirely free of true movie stars, Warner Bros. marketing made the primary selling point the monsters vs. robots action. While that proved very appealing to a niche "fan boy" audience, the movie remained inaccessible to general moviegoers. Without their support, there's only so high a movie can go on opening weekend.

Quote:
Dan Fellman, Warner’s domestic distribution prexy, said he was encouraged by the performance in Imax, which the film has for four weeks. “We’re just going to leg this thing out, and hopefully we can bring in more than just fanboys,” Fellman added.

Quote:
While the domestic prospects for “Pacific Rim” appear limited, the pic’s overseas box office could surpass $300 million, according to pundits. That’s partly based on strong opening grosses from markets like Russia and South Korea, where “Pac Rim” earned north of $9 million in each territory, as well as prospects in on-deck markets including France, Germany China and Japan.

That said, a $400 million worldwide take won’t be enough for Legendary and Warner to recoup their total financial investment when adding in marketing costs. (Legendary financed 75% of the pic’s budget; Warner is on the hook for the rest.)

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Auteur

The budget was already pretty high so I don't see why Del Toro couldn't have sprung for a few more well-known actors, Charlie Hunham didn't really impress me that much and I would've prefered someone else in the lead role, that might've helped it open better.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:55 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
The budget was already pretty high so I don't see why Del Toro couldn't have sprung for a few more well-known actors, Charlie Hunham didn't really impress me that much and I would've prefered someone else in the lead role, that might've helped it open better.

Because big-name stars would cost even more, and the budget for the film was clearly earmarked for the visual effects department. The fact that the film didn't open in top spot in its first weekend is not a good sign, though the worldwide market could end up preventing it from being a box office flop.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Haven't see it yet, but having read JB's review I'm more liklely to see it than when I thought it was a robot monster vs monster movie. Real Steel was another one where that happened, as was District 9.

A failure of a movie like PR that's not a sequel/prequel-remake-franchised-star-vehicle would probably make studios more risk averse on future stand-alone endeavors.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm
Director

Awf Hand wrote:
Haven't see it yet, but having read JB's review I'm more liklely to see it than when I thought it was a robot monster vs monster movie. Real Steel was another one where that happened, as was District 9.

A failure of a movie like PR that's not a sequel/prequel-remake-franchised-star-vehicle would probably make studios more risk averse on future stand-alone endeavors.

I would hardly call this film's subject-matter risky. What's the risk, that there aren't enough nerds in this country to buy tickets? If he wanted to take a real risk, he should have risked provoking the audience as Zack Snyder did with Man of Steel's 9/11 ending.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 pm