Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 am

Worthy Remakes! 
Critic

Post Worthy Remakes!
The Remakes vs. Sequels thread created a desire for a list of worthy remakes and sequels. I've made a thread for each.

I'll start with

The Thing (1982)

An improvement in every way over the original Thing From Another World, except perhaps in levels of cold war paranoia.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

I think I still prefer the original, but this is almost as good and certainly a worthy film.

The Thief of Baghdad (1940)

Cheating a little, since I haven't seen the original, but I found this one delightful and I strongly doubt seeing the first would make me retroactively declare this to be a piece of shit.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am
Director

Post Re: Worthy Remakes!
Quote:

I think I still prefer the original, but this is almost as good and certainly a worthy film.

I prefer the 1978 version. Much better acted, much more fun overall.

De Palma's Untouchables

Definitely a close remake of the TV special from the 50s. Much improved.

True Grit

The Coens clearly more gifted and seminal than Henry Hathaway.

Hero

A worthy remake of Rashomon. Great visual opportunity.

War of the Worlds

Spielberg's film will rightfully make the original film forgotten.

Man of Steel

Improves on many aspects of the original. The entire cast is better than the original except for Amy Adams and Michael Shannon. Cavill has not yet eclipsed Reeve, but easily could in future installments. The quality of the action makes it inevitable that Man of Steel will supplant the original in the long run. People want to see Superman do his thing, and Steel delivers. Superman's first flight is a great scene that should have been in the original and wasn't.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:51 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
The Thing (1982)

An improvement in every way over the original Thing From Another World, except perhaps in levels of cold war paranoia.

Agreed with both of those although the 1978 Body Snatchers is my personal favorite.

The Manchurian Candidate (2004)-The original is still the best no question. But Jonathan Demme's version is worthy. It doesn't have teh same disquieting unease as Frankenheimer's film. But in some ways it's just as creepy and the acting is fantastic. Also the story is ably updated and frighteningly plausible in certain regards.

Let Me in (2010)-The original remains available and should definitely be viewed. But this one doesn't tame or duimb down the original for mass consumption. It's a very good companion toit.

True Grit (2009)-I actually like this one a tad better than the original. Except of course for John Wayne's iconic performance in the original. But Bridges more than holds his own even if he doesn't overshadow the Duke.

3:10 To Yuma-I also like this one better.

The Departed-Scorsese's film stands on its own from its very good Hong Kong source material.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:

Hero

A worthy remake of Rashomon. Great visual opportunity.

Hero's a good film, but it's in no way a remake of Rashomon.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am
Critic

Agree on True Grit, with some reservations. Completely, 100% agree with 3:10 to Yuma. It's in many ways a perfect remake. It takes the original, which is decent but very lean, and expands and deepens it. Terrific film

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am
Producer

The Fly. I'm not sure anything needs to be said.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am
Director

King Kong-- Loved Peter Jackson's take on this. First hour may drag a bit, but the second and third are so awesome on both a visceral and emotional level that this story is elevated to the best possible take on the big ape IMHO.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-- The FAQ page on IMDB says that this movie is not a remake, but an adaptation of the novel. That's a telling point because it does enough things different (and I would argue, better) than the Swedish version. The relationship between the two main characters was more intriguing here; no disrespect to the Swedish version, which is very good, but this one is great.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 am
Auteur

Assault On Precinct 13-A tense well-direction action film that never stops with the excitement and does certain things to characters you woudn't normally expect from this type of film.

The Italian Job-A fun, breezy heist film with likeable characters, too bad the sequel got stuck in development hell

The Hills Have Eyes-Big improvement over the forgettable and mediocre original film, gory, suspenful and highly compelling.

Bangkok Dangerous-One of Cage's most underrated roles and films, it's one part assassin's tale one part tragic love story, this more then makes up for Cage's turn in that lousy Wicker Man remake.

Dawn Of The Dead-Better, stronger and faster zombies with plenty of gore and IMO more likeable characters then the original

Death Race-Surprised they didn't just call this Twisted Metal since it feels so much like that game, but anyways it's a relentless action film that rarely slows down and never lets up on excitement.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 pm
Director

Count this one as unpopular opinion, but I agree with Vexer about Dawn of the Dead. I watch the original first, and while I appreciate and is really impressed by its clever message, I felt the the film at over 2 hours is really plodding in many places, without ever becoming scary at all (it's not that the zombies have to be fast to be scary; the original NOTLD is one of my favorite movies). The remake just is very efficient and more involving.

I'm in complete agreement with JB about The Departed. I watched the original one in theater (at the time of its release it's very famous and became kind of a minor phenomenon in Asia) and enjoyed it thoroughly, but watching the remake, even with home viewing, is one of the things that really get me into movies.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
Count this one as unpopular opinion, but I agree with Vexer about Dawn of the Dead. I watch the original first, and while I appreciate and is really impressed by its clever message, I felt the the film at over 2 hours is really plodding in many places, without ever becoming scary at all (it's not that the zombies have to be fast to be scary; the original NOTLD is one of my favorite movies). The remake just is very efficient and more involving.

I'm in complete agreement with JB about The Departed. I watched the original one in theater (at the time of its release it's very famous and became kind of a minor phenomenon in Asia) and enjoyed it thoroughly, but watching the remake, even with home viewing, is one of the things that really get me into movies.

The DOTD remake got a 75% fresh rating on RT, so it really isn't that "unpopular" of an opinion, still glad you agree with me.

Not a fan of the Departed though, I don't think it really captured the feel of the original, and for me it was way too long winded and drawn out for it's own good, I honestly had a hard time staying awake at certain points during the film.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

The ridiculous ending of the remake didn't bother you at all? "Since this movie needs a third act, let's leave our place of safety and all kill ourselves.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

The ridiculous ending of the remake didn't bother you at all? "Since this movie needs a third act, let's leave our place of safety and all kill ourselves.

I'll admit the third act was a tad dissapointing compared to the rest of the film, but it didn't totally ruin the experience for me unlike some other third acts I can think of(I.E. pretty much any film that uses the idiotic "it was all a dream" ending)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm
Director

The Maltese Falcon
Waterloo Bridge

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 pm
Director

I was going to mention that we should stick with just remakes and not list any alternate adaptations, i.e. "The Maltese Falcon," "The Manchurian Candidate," "War of the Worlds," "True Grit," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," the numerous versions of "Oliver Twist," "Pride and Prejudice," etc.

A few not yet mentioned:
"The Man Who Knew Too Much"
"Down and Out in Beverly Hills"
"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"
"Ocean's Eleven"
"Little Shop of Horrors" (if we count musical adaptations of previous movies)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Cinematographer

I can't be fair, because in several cases I haven't seen the originals. But some horror remakes I've enjoyed are The Thing, The Fly, and The Hills Have Eyes. As for action remakes, The Departed, Insomnia, and 3:10 to Yuma were pretty good.

I also think the Dawn of the Dead remake is quite good, even if it isn't better than the original. I even enjoyed to some extent the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, even though it paled in comparison to the original, which is my all-time favorite horror film.

The 12 Angry Men remake for TV was pretty good. It was actually the first version I saw back in the 90's when I was a teen. I came to see the original for the first time a couple of years ago.

King Kong was a solid remake, but Jackson shot himself in the foot with the length. That film needed a huge trimming.

Ocean's Eleven and The Thomas Crown Affair are other remakes I thoroughly enjoyed.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
The Remakes vs. Sequels thread created a desire for a list of worthy remakes and sequels. I've made a thread for each.

I'll start with

The Thing (1982)

The Thief of Baghdad (1940)

Cheating a little, since I haven't seen the original, but I found this one delightful and I strongly doubt seeing the first would make me retroactively declare this to be a piece of shit.

The two Thieves are different enough that the second is only partially a remake. In the 1924 version, for example the thief and the prince are one and the same, and there is no djinn. They're both great films.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm
Director

I though the ending of Dawn of the Dead the remake is more of a minor bump than a major distraction. It's been a long while since I saw it and my memory's fuzzy, but I remembered it stumbled in that moment a bit but it moved so fast that I didn't mind too much.

Also, Vexer, strange that you mentioned that about The Departed. One of the most impressive things about it that made me really appreciate its power (and got me into seeking more movies seriously) is that when it ended I couldn't believe 2.5 hours has just passed; it really felt like about one hour or less for me. Such intensity.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
I though the ending of Dawn of the Dead the remake is more of a minor bump than a major distraction. It's been a long while since I saw it and my memory's fuzzy, but I remembered it stumbled in that moment a bit but it moved so fast that I didn't mind too much.

Also, Vexer, strange that you mentioned that about The Departed. One of the most impressive things about it that made me really appreciate its power (and got me into seeking more movies seriously) is that when it ended I couldn't believe 2.5 hours has just passed; it really felt like about one hour or less for me. Such intensity.

Well I felt every single minute of that film, it actually took me several sittings to get through it because I kept on losing interest, mostly because I found very few of the characters to be the least bit interesting or compelling. The Departed only made me appreciate the original film even more.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm
Producer

Since the two "Thief of Bagdad"s were mentioned, it's worth pointing out that Tyrone Power's The Mark of Zorro is a remake of Douglas Fairbank's 1920 original, which was the first time Zorro had appeared on screen. It's interesting to watch, partly because a lot that we associate with Zorro actually was made up by Fairbanks. That said, the Power version is a bit better. The Adventures of Robin Hood is a remake of part of Fairbanks' Robin Hood, but in that case the remake is far better.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm
Cinematographer

One that I watched yesterday, The Blob. I hadn't seen this since the 80's but revisited again yesterday, after watching the original on TCM last week, and the remake is a huge improvement. Not without its 80's cheese, but still very gory and bold in some aspects.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 am
Profile WWW