Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am

PACIFIC RIM 
Site Admin

Post PACIFIC RIM
Click here for the review of Pacific Rim

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Post Re: PACIFIC RIM
I just got back from watching Pacific Rim and I agreed with everything JB said, except the comic relief part. The payoff may seem small, but I think it's integral to the story's logic.

One thing I think that's a bit of a cheat is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the escape pods. I kept thinking how brave del Toro is by making the final mission as something that isn't survivable.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:20 pm
Cinematographer

I wonder if del Toro drew any inspiration from Japanese anime such as Gundam or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Either way, I am guessing that your three-and-a-half star movie is 56 Up, although I am also holding out hope that it might be The Conjuring. If I'm not mistaken, your last three-and-a-half star horror movie was Paranormal Activity.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Transformers is an extended highlight reel; Pacific Rim is a complete film.

This was all I needed to know.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm
Cinematographer

I'm thinking of checking it out, but I noticed that theaters in my area are running the film at just one time per day even though the running time isn't gargantuan (2 hours, 11 minutes). Is anyone else noticing this in their areas? Is this film being lowballed by other studios or something? Is it so "out there" that cinema chains aren't willing to pay to run it more frequently during its release? What the hell?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I'm thinking of checking it out, but I noticed that theaters in my area are running the film at just one time per day even though the running time isn't gargantuan (2 hours, 11 minutes). Is anyone else noticing this in their areas? Is this film being lowballed by other studios or something? Is it so "out there" that cinema chains aren't willing to pay to run it more frequently during its release? What the hell?

Running 5 times a day in 2D and 6 times a day in 3D at my theater...

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm
Auteur

Taleswapper wrote:
Quote:

Although other reviewers have argued that the film really isn't any smarter or better then Transformers, either way it sounds like fun to me.

Also, both of my local theaters have several showings for the film, my local Marcus Cinema has a total of 8 showings for the film in 2-D and 4 in 3-D, my local Cinemark Theatre has 4 showings in 3-D and 4 showings in 2-D, so i'm not sure what this business about only showing the film once per day is all about. The last time I heard something like that happening was when Grindhouse only got 2 showings per day, but that was a special experience and a pretty long one at that, so at least it made some sense.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Quote:

Although other reviewers have argued that the film really isn't any smarter or better then Transformers, either way it sounds like fun to me.

In JB I trust! :)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 pm
Gaffer

I find my tastes matching JB's enough that if he likes a film there is an excellent chance I'll enjoy it too. I'm relieved he liked Pacific Rim. Its been high on my to-do list.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 pm
Second Unit Director

I will be interested to see whether the prediction that Pacific Rim is going to be another Lone Ranger and Battleship domestically. Variety is predicting a 30 mil weekend finishing third in the weekend. I can say that no one I know or work with has even heard of the movie but sounded very interested once I described it. Their marketing has been completely nonexistent outside of this week which seems kind of baffling for such a big budget movie.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
I will be interested to see whether the prediction that Pacific Rim is going to be another Lone Ranger and Battleship domestically. Variety is predicting a 30 mil weekend finishing third in the weekend. I can say that no one I know or work with has even heard of the movie but sounded very interested once I described it. Their marketing has been completely nonexistent outside of this week which seems kind of baffling for such a big budget movie.

I've seen this film advertised a bunch of times over the past few months.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm
Director

Quote:

So have I but they certainly haven't launched a massive domineering ad campaign like Skyfall or Man of Steel. But I think we're starting to see that if you're going to spend 150 mil + on a movie, it's best to advertise the crap out of it. Hell it's annoying, but it works. It puts butts in the seats.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

So have I but they certainly haven't launched a massive domineering ad campaign like Skyfall or Man of Steel. But I think we're starting to see that if you're going to spend 150 mil + on a movie, it's best to advertise the crap out of it. Hell it's annoying, but it works. It puts butts in the seats.

If audiences like it, and I think they will, it will do strong repeat business. It's rare but not unheard of to have a movie drop only slightly from one week to the next and keep on chugging for a while. That's what word-of-mouth does.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:07 pm
Gaffer

I haven't seen much advertising for this outside posters the last two weeks in Chicago. I have seen a few summer blockbusters and saw no previews for this movie. Frankly, I thought it looked like an attempt at making Transformers in a year with no Transformers movie. But the decent buzz and the giant robots are going to draw me to the theater this weekend.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:

Box Office Mojo predicts #1 with $46 million and reported that Fandango's online sales are actually outpacing World War Z. Presumably Brad Pitt accounted for the $20 million more his movie earned opening weekend.

It looks like a normal wide release schedule insofar as show times go around my area, and I've seen commercials on TV consistently over the past several months. James' review solidified my desire to watch it in a theater too.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 am
Site Admin

Sean wrote:
I wonder if del Toro drew any inspiration from Japanese anime such as Gundam or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Either way, I am guessing that your three-and-a-half star movie is 56 Up, although I am also holding out hope that it might be The Conjuring. If I'm not mistaken, your last three-and-a-half star horror movie was Paranormal Activity.

It's not 56 UP. 56 UP might well get ***1/2 but I haven't watched it yet (the disc is still sitting next to my TV). The "mystery" ***1/2 review will go up next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
It's not 56 UP. 56 UP might well get ***1/2 but I haven't watched it yet (the disc is still sitting next to my TV). The "mystery" ***1/2 review will go up next Tuesday or Wednesday.

OMG put SOMETHING up already! It's been 2 months since the last Reelthoughts! :P

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:17 pm
Site Admin

mrguinness wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:

OMG put SOMETHING up already! It's been 2 months since the last Reelthoughts! :P

I know, I know...

The Halftime Top 10 blog is written. It just needs to be edited and have hyperlinks attached. Should be up today or tomorrow. The heavy lifting is done.

"Pacific Rim" is not eligible because it came out in July. However, if it was, it would have slipped in in the #9 or #10 spot. The "mystery" ***1/2 film is also not eligible because it comes out next week. Is it a candidate for the end-of-the-year list? Who knows. Depends how strong the second half of the year is.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I hope that it ends up being Only God Forgives, but something tells me that it's The Conjuring.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 pm
Gaffer

I saw Pacific Rim last night (opening night):

LOVED IT! :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: I've been accused of being a "movie snob" by some of my friends ;) , and I certainly am not a fan of hacks like Roland Emmerich (ID4, The Day After, Godzilla USA), but I love great action movies when they aren't intellectually insulting or degrading in some way.

And Pacific Rim is a lot of fun! It's a great tribute to the Kaiju (Big Monster) Movies of older eras (Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan), but with amazing CG Visuals and just a GREAT cinematic flair. Director Guillermo Del Toro knows how to bring it.

Idris Elba is great. Just like his work on the excellent BBC TV series "Luther," Idris has great charisma and commands attention without being overbearing. I thought Ron Perlman as great also for his part; just some silly fun that added to the quirky universe.

I also think James B's excerpt nails it perfectly:

Quote:
The primary difference between Pacific Rim and Transformers is easy to identify. For Michael Bay, Transformers is all about the "wow" factor. It's about explosions, robot-on-robot smackdowns, and cutting edge special effects. Everything else is an annoying detail, sometimes marginalized and often ignored. For Guillermo del Toro, the "wow" factor is paramount as well, but del Toro also cares about the other things: character development, relationships, narrative progression, and so forth. Transformers is an extended highlight reel; Pacific Rim is a complete film.

I saw it in 2D and it was excellent. Can't wait to buy this on Blu-Ray (or see it again with other friends in theaters). :)

*** Also FYI: Stay through part of the credits to get an extra small scene. :)

Thanks James. It was your review that gave me the push to go see it. :D

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:20 pm