Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 am

Pacific Rim (2013) 
Director

Post Re: Pacific Rim (2013)
Pacific Rim’ Looking Grim With $25 Million-$35 Million Opening
'Grown Ups 2' looking at low $40 millions

Quote:
After spending the past two weeks trying to turn the tide for “Pacific Rim,” Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures now are bracing for what appears to be a gruesome inevitability for the $185 million-plus monster movie: A domestic opening ranging between $25 million and $35 million.

This weekend could be the second in a row in which an expensive non-sequel property bellyflops at the box office after “Lone Ranger” flamed out last weekend.

The impending doom has been pretty clear ever since “Pacific Rim” came on tracking early last month. And while there are certainly some last-minute hopeful signs for Warner and Legendary to cling to (i.e. strong reviews and unreliable tracking lately), there’s little chance that “Pacific Rim” will open well enough in the U.S. to counter its monster-sized budget and marketing costs.

Quote:
For “Pacific Rim,” which is a passion project for helmer Guillermo del Toro, the early July release date was likely modeled after “Transformers,” which opened with $70 million in 2007. That’s the kind of start Legendary expected to see when it greenlit the pricey ensemble project about an apocalyptic battle between aliens and robots created to fight them. But without a major star toplining the film, Warners — which came on board later to help finance 25% of the production cost — had to market the film based solely on the original concept. The studio only recently began highlighting the pic’s humor and lighter elements to help draw interest.

Tracking for the film outside the U.S. is strongest in Asia, with the area’s long history of creature features, but the pic is seeing only moderate interest in other parts of the world.

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-office ... 200560676/

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
from variety. I'll pass.

Quote:
Of all the doom-laden fantasies the studios have rolled out this summer, “Pacific Rim” is the one pushing itself most aggressively as guilt-free entertainment, offering up an apocalyptic spectacle in a spirit of unpretentious, unapologetic fun. Which it will be, at least for those who measure fun primarily in terms of noise, chaos and bombast, or who can find continual novelty in the sight of giant monsters and robots doing battle for the better part of two hours. Viewers with less of an appetite for nonstop destruction should brace themselves for the squarest, clunkiest and certainly loudest movie of director Guillermo del Toro’s career, a crushed-metal orgy that plays like an extended 3D episode of “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” on very expensive acid.

You had me at crushed-metal orgy. :mrgreen: This appeals to my inner 13-year-old. I am really looking forward to this one, even though Michael Bay movies are overwhelmingly MEH for me. But Guillermo del Toro movies are not. So there's that.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 pm
Director

What the hell!? A bellyflop of a box-office opening? I'm sorry but I just can't see that. People at the advance screening I went to enjoyed the hell out of it and were enthusiastically talking about it afterwards. If that's the case and this movie turns out to bomb, then shame on all of us. Apparently how enjoyable a movie is doesn't even matter anymore when it comes to making money. It's all about what property its based on and how to get the fanboys into theaters.

Nice to see my main man Hideo Kojima give the movie some love, though. :)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm
Cinematographer

I'll be catching it this weekend at the Drive-In. 3-D doesn't work on me so why not? $5 for a double-bill of "Despicable Me 2" and "Pacific Rim" with all the food and beer I can smuggle in my trunk with weather forecast around 70 degrees(F) at show time. Can't go wrong there.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm
Cinematographer

Johnny Larue wrote:
I'll be catching it this weekend at the Drive-In. 3-D doesn't work on me so why not? $5 for a double-bill of "Despicable Me 2" and "Pacific Rim" with all the food and beer I can smuggle in my trunk with weather forecast around 70 degrees(F) at show time. Can't go wrong there.

That sounds...amazing. Genuinely.

As for the movie, if Del Toro wasn't directing, I'd have no interest. I don't have a ton of interest anyway because it looks like Transformers meets Godzilla, but Del Toro's built up enough good will with me, despite me finding him only slightly above average when he isn't working in Spanish.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm
Director

Quote:
What the hell!? A bellyflop of a box-office opening? I'm sorry but I just can't see that. People at the advance screening I went to enjoyed the hell out of it and were enthusiastically talking about it afterwards. If that's the case and this movie turns out to bomb, then shame on all of us.

whether its a good movie or not, do you think its wise for any movie to have a 185 mill budget? let alone one with no stars whatsoever? the breakeven point is insane.

catering only to the "huge nerd demographic" as AJR puts it, can be a risky proposition(we all heard about the great buzz Scott Pilgrim & Dredd had among the con crowds. look at how that turned out. Rim was being touted at last year's Con, wasn't it? all those guys worship Del Toro. yet the boxoffice was nill on the Hellboy movies)

Shame on me, I guess. Like Pete said, it looks like Transformers meets Godzilla. At some point I grew out of that sort of movie (I sometimes get dragged to stuff like Man of Steel, Star Trek etc with coworkers. but there is some nostalgic appeal with those franchises though. There is absolutely no appeal for Pacific Rim to me.

how much do you think it will open with? I'd be very surprised if it gets to 50. Grown Ups 2 or Despicable Me should be #1 this weekend.

After that word of mouth(& the Asian markets) will be key.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
Quote:
What the hell!? A bellyflop of a box-office opening? I'm sorry but I just can't see that. People at the advance screening I went to enjoyed the hell out of it and were enthusiastically talking about it afterwards. If that's the case and this movie turns out to bomb, then shame on all of us.

whether its a good movie or not, do you think its wise for any movie to have a 185 mill budget? let alone one with no stars whatsoever? the breakeven point is insane.

catering only to the "huge nerd demographic" as AJR puts it, can be a risky proposition(we all heard about the great buzz Scott Pilgrim & Dredd had among the con crowds. look at how that turned out. Rim was being touted at last year's Con, wasn't it? all those guys worship Del Toro. yet the boxoffice was nill on the Hellboy movies)

Shame on me, I guess. Like Pete said, it looks like Transformers meets Godzilla. At some point I grew out of that sort of movie (I sometimes get dragged to stuff like Man of Steel, Star Trek etc with coworkers. but there is some nostalgic appeal with those franchises though. There is absolutely no appeal for Pacific Rim to me.

how much do you think it will open with? I'd be very surprised if it gets to 50. Grown Ups 2 or Despicable Me should be #1 this weekend.

After that word of mouth(& the Asian markets) will be key.
I didn't see Dredd as beign for the "nerd" crowd, and I think that film's failure had more to do with it being released the same week as End Of Watch.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 pm
Director

The general advertising surely don't help. The reviews and the director say otherwise, but every time I see the trailers I still think it's kind of very meh. I'd still see it in 3D since there is really strong buzz for what Del Toro did with that, but the trailers still persuade me towards the indifference enough that I still have my fingers crossed for it to be better than that.

I heard that the anticipation outsides America is building to be big, though. That might help.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 pm
Director

My question is, what drove Del Toro to make this movie? What burning desire pushed him to put these giant robots and monsters on the screen. Despite what naysayers may contend, Transformers 1 was something that legitimately hadn't been done before. Michael Bay's desire to make it was pretty easy to comprehend. The sequels are a different story, but Transformers 1 was different enough from other movies to justify its existence.

But this Pacific Rim thing looks like something we've seen before. Godzilla vs. Transformers. And not necessarily adding anything new to the mix. Zack Snyder realized the physics and kinetics of Superman as no director ever has before. That alone justifies Man of Steel. Rim, by comparison, looks rather clunky.

I already went into the idea that a movie conceived for "entertainment purposes only" is a horse's rotten shit. If Del Toro has a unique, interesting way of delving into his concept, I'm all for it. If it's just another entertainment package, he can go to hell.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
I already went into the idea that a movie conceived for "entertainment purposes only" is a horse's rotten shit. If Del Toro has a unique, interesting way of delving into his concept, I'm all for it. If it's just another entertainment package, he can go to hell.

I think somebody's watched a few too many of those Oscar telecasts with their "movies show us the better parts of ourselves and elevate the human condition to demi-god status"-like proclamations.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 am
Director

Quote:
I think somebody's watched a few too many of those Oscar telecasts with their "movies show us the better parts of ourselves and elevate the human condition to demi-god status"-like proclamations.

I don't think that statement has really been the point of Oscar telecasts exactly. I feel like you're thinking of something else maybe, though I can't quite place it. As far as elevating the human condition to demi-god status...that's certainly an interesting idea. Might not be far off.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
What the hell!? A bellyflop of a box-office opening? I'm sorry but I just can't see that. People at the advance screening I went to enjoyed the hell out of it and were enthusiastically talking about it afterwards. If that's the case and this movie turns out to bomb, then shame on all of us. Apparently how enjoyable a movie is doesn't even matter anymore when it comes to making money. It's all about what property its based on and how to get the fanboys into theaters.

Part of the problem may be what I mentioned in JB's review thread: theater chains not running the film on enough screens. In my area, most of them are running the film at just ONE fucking time per day. If most of the rest of the theaters in North America follow suit, then the opening weekend for this film could indeed be a disaster.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Part of the problem may be what I mentioned in JB's review thread: theater chains not running the film on enough screens. In my area, most of them are running the film at just ONE fucking time per day. If most of the rest of the theaters in North America follow suit, then the opening weekend for this film could indeed be a disaster.

My local mega-plex location is running it on 2 screens throughout the day (one 2-D, one 3-D)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I've never heard of a theater chain screening a major film only once per day on opening weekend. Both of my local theaters have several showings for the film, my local Marcus Cinema has a total of 8 showings for the film in 2-D and 4 in 3-D, my local Cinemark Theatre has 4 showings in 3-D and 4 showings in 2-D, so I think maybe it might just be your local chain that's doing it, what theater chains are near you?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm
Second Unit Director

Hmm... my local chain has only ONE showing today in 3D and ONE in 2D. But then I looked at tomorrow's schedule, and it was upped to two showings each for both formats. Interesting.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
If it's just another entertainment package, he can go to hell.
Damn, MGC! No need to go all Planet of the Apes on Mr. Del Toro! :lol:

Quote:
My question is, what drove Del Toro to make this movie? What burning desire pushed him to put these giant robots and monsters on the screen.
From the interviews I have seen with him, he is simply a giant nerd (not that there's anything wrong with that) who was given an incredible budget to play with by the studios and told to go have fun!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm
Cinematographer

Del Toro's failures are magnificent in their own way.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:

Not a fan, I see.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:14 pm
Director

Taleswapper wrote:
Sean wrote:

Not a fan, I see.

He didn't say that. People sure are touchy about Pacific Rim all of a sudden.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 am
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Sean wrote:

Not a fan, I see.

Quite the contrary. In fact, I was saying that del Toro's failures are better than most director's successes.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:03 pm