Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634 ... 821  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Senna

This is a fascinating film. Focusing on the life of Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest race car drivers ever, this follows his success in Formula 1, his intense rivalry with Alain Prost, his record-breaking championship seasons with McLaren, and his death in 1994. Senna was a racer's racer - he raced because he had to. Not to make money, not for the fame, but because he needed to race and needed to win.

Senna is arguably the greatest film about auto racing ever made. Whereas most films about the sport choose to portray it stupidly (such as Talladega Nights and Days of Thunder), Senna truly captures what psychologically drives racers to pursue speed. It's a damned great documentary; even non-fans can enjoy this.

Do you dare cast aspersions on the great 2001 Stallone/Reynolds vehicle Driven?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 am
Assistant Director

The Last Stand I was in the mood for something light and I think this, more or less, delivered what I was expecting. Far from a great film, lots of cheesy and/or corny moments, too overlong in the end, but I still had some fun with it. Grade: B-

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Senna

This is a fascinating film. Focusing on the life of Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest race car drivers ever, this follows his success in Formula 1, his intense rivalry with Alain Prost, his record-breaking championship seasons with McLaren, and his death in 1994. Senna was a racer's racer - he raced because he had to. Not to make money, not for the fame, but because he needed to race and needed to win.

Senna is arguably the greatest film about auto racing ever made. Whereas most films about the sport choose to portray it stupidly (such as Talladega Nights and Days of Thunder), Senna truly captures what psychologically drives racers to pursue speed. It's a damned great documentary; even non-fans can enjoy this.

As a Formula 1 fan, this was a must see. Senna is regarded by may to be the greatest driver in history. One would have to assume his early death added to his mystique, but he was regarded as one of the greats even during his lifetime. The film is pretty referential, and is obviously made by fans, but it is a compelling documentary on a fascinating subject.

For racing fans, Ron Howard's "Rush" looks pretty promising for September. It is getting rave reviews up and down the Formula 1 paddock for its racing authenticity, as well as being true to the real life people involved.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/rush-2013 ... 36805.html

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:13 pm
Critic

Capturing the Friedmans (2003) ***1/2

I think one of my bro-hos on this site recommended this to me but I don't know who. Whoever you are, you have good taste. What an interesting film! A documentary on a sexual abuse case from the 1980s, the movie becomes more and more complicated the more it reveals. I love nuance and shades of grey, and this film deals exclusively in them. Unlike Paradise Lost and the Thin Blue Line, there's no simple miscarriage of justice here. The issue is far, far more complex. I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:35 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

I think one of my bro-hos on this site recommended this to me but I don't know who. Whoever you are, you have good taste. What an interesting film! A documentary on a sexual abuse case from the 1980s, the movie becomes more and more complicated the more it reveals. I love nuance and shades of grey, and this film deals exclusively in them. Unlike Paradise Lost and the Thin Blue Line, there's no simple miscarriage of justice here. The issue is far, far more complex. I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

Great doc, and a pretty solid example of the criminal labeling theory.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:59 pm
Director

The Longest Yard (1974)

I was in the mood for something light, so I watched this. For anyone who has seen the remake with Adam Sandler, you'll know the main story: A former pro quarterback gets thrown in prison, and is made to organize a football game where the convicts play the guards. However, where Sandler's film was juvenile, this is a tougher, grittier work, with a lot of dark humor. The lack of polish makes it more endearing...and it's kind of hard to believe that Burt Reynolds was once one of the biggest stars in the world.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 am
Assistant Director

After two months of watching zero new films, it seems this weekend was the one to catch up...

The Blob (1958) This one was a pretty silly, low budget film. Not only were the special effects laughably bad, but the story itself was pretty weak. That said, Steve McQueen managed to hold the story together with a fairly good performance. But still, one of those that I had to laugh and shake my head at. Grade: C

Mama *sigh* Yet another modern horror/suspense film that starts with an interesting premise and some promise, only to drop it by the middle of the film. The first half was considerably good, decent, but once the story continues to be stretched out, you get the idea that the writers have no idea what to do with it, or how to execute it. The images of the ghost, when in a blur, were fairly creepy and scary; but once the film decides to focus on it, it loses all mystery because of the revelation itself and because of the bad CGI. I give them points for a somewhat bold conclusion, but it wasn't enough to save a half-baked script. Grade: C

Side Effects Solid thriller, although a bit on the cold side. Not as cold or as clinical as Contagion, but still I felt detached from everything that was going on. Several good performances, some good twists. I think the shift in protagonists was a bold move, but it wasn't enough to get it over the hump. Still, it was a decent film. Grade: B

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Phenomenal film. Have you gotten around to last year's The Imposter? It is similarly riveting and intriguing, and opens a lot of questions it can't answer, but it's well worth your time.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

A film that would make you laugh out loud if it weren't so grim. It just reminds you how detached from reality seemingly ordinary people are.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 am
Director

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane

A 13-year-old girl lives by herself, with seemingly no interaction with anyone else. Into her life come two people: The first is a pedophile with an unhealthy interest in her, and the second is a teenage boy, with whom she begins a platonic and then sexual relationship. Both want to know what exactly she's hiding in the cellar. This has always been a cult item among horror fans (though it isn't strictly a horror film), and I can see why; the entire film has a very unsettling air about it. It's also very much a product of its time; the film's content would likely cause backers to stay far away from it today.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:25 pm
Second Unit Director

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - I've been wanting to watch this one for a while, because I was, well, curious. My wife hated this one because it was "too weird." Much the same reason why she can't stand anything written by Charlie Kauffman. But I can handle weird as long as it is well executed. I was sold with this premise, bizarre as it was. A testament to the talents of David Fincher and Brad Pitt in the title role. Well done.

Wreck It Ralph - I loved this one. a) I am a sucker for things that make me nostalgic and b) a good redemption story. And this one was both. You have to speak fluent Q-Bert to appreciate this one! :) As much I enjoyed the tremendously underrated Brave , I think this was the film that should've won the best animated film category.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - See the nostalgia bit above. Having gone to both middle school and high school in the 90s, that totally applies. The dark turn of the last act really sets this apart from most "coming of age" films. It worked for me. There was some heavy subject matter dealt with here. This was my first exposure to Emma Watson outside of the Harry Potter films and I feel she has a positive future in the biz. Likewise, it was my first exposure to Ezra Miller. I'd seen him before, but was having a very difficult time placing him. The reason being that his jovial portrayal of Patrick was MILES away from his role in We Need to Talk About Kevin. This kid won't have to worry about type casting.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm
Director

Red Riding in the Year of Our Lord: (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259574/
Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-man) is a cocky journalist who gets in way over his head when he decides to investigate a series of child murders. The technical aspects (acting, directing, cinematography, etc) of this film are of a high calibre, as expected from a British production - creating a gritty bleak foreboding atmosphere is something that seems to come naturally to British film makers. Unfortunately, I found the characters strangely lacking - I didn't really care much for Eddie's fate, even as he was repeatedly brutally punished for getting too close to the answers he was seeking.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The love affair with the mother of one of the victims was also unbelievable, especially its initiation. The finale, where the cops inexplicable hand Eddie a loaded gun (presumably to frame him or perhaps even to murder the real culprit?) was also confounding and required a suspension of belief that was beyond me.

6/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260581/
Paddy Considine plays a cop bought in from another precinct to investigate what appears to be a new "Yorkshire Ripper" case, that was thought to have been solved in 1977. This initially appears as more or less a stand-alone film, with only a loose connection to the earlier production (namely, it is set in Yorkshire with many of the same faces in the police force). However, the motivations of the murder are eventually found to relate back to 1974 ; if you have not seen the previous film understanding 1980 might be difficult.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
That said, why the perpetrators waited 6 years to tie up loose ends from the events from 1974 makes no sense whatsoever, and making it look like a new Yorkshire Ripper case even less so (given the scrutiny that inevitably brings)... but that what they are going with.
It seems clear by the end of this film that the Red Riding films might be more about police corruption than the murder cases that imo are only superficially covered in 1974 and 1980.
6/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259573/
The final in the trilogy is a direct sequel to 1974 and closely ties in with the events established in the earlier film, with only a few nods to the events chronicled in 1980. This is probably the strongest of the three, finally offering definitive closure to the child murder cases that were the focus of 1974. This time there are two main protagonists; a lawyer (Mark Addy) defending the mentally impaired patsy who had "confessed" to the murders, and one of the corrupt cops (David Morrissey) who finally finds a conscience after being confronted with the truth. The key problem with this entry imo is the confusing flashbacks that aren't always obvious - some sort of heads-up that we are watching a 1974 flashback would have been welcome. The multitude of flashbacks also result in the film feeling strangely disjointed, the confusion of time breaking the immersion of the otherwise compelling narrative.
7/10.

Overall this series is worth watching as a piece of quality dark cinema (it is close to if not literally British film noir), but I can't help but feel it could have been better.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Super (2010) 2.5/4

This was a close 3 for me-- it just never quite got there in my opinion. I can appreciate the super hero story told from the perspective of possible mental illness, however I never thought it fully grasped what it actually wanted to say about the subject matter itself. All in all, this is a pretty fun film and I had great time watching it, yet I think a film like God Bless America is much more profound in its messages and its overall implementation.

Kon-Tiki (2012) 3/4

While the film itself takes viewers on a pretty amazing journey, the summation of its parts feel underwhelming shallow. I don’t want to come across as disliking the film--there is quite a lot to like about Kon-Tiki, and overall it’s a very satisfying “man vs. nature” spectacle. Cinematography stands out as a sure strength, and the acting is nothing to complain about. With that said, there are many instances where Kon-Tiki lacks drive, almost to the point where its sense of urgency is utterly lost. I was always on board with this film, but I had a hard time immersing myself into its narrative. Characters are largely underdeveloped, and I found myself not really caring for these individuals. I guess this is a film that is much more concerned with simply recreating a piece of history rather than drawing viewers in through characterization. Overall, Kon-Tiki is recommended with reservations.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Red Riding in the Year of Our Lord: (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259574/
Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-man) is a cocky journalist who gets in way over his head when he decides to investigate a series of child murders. The technical aspects (acting, directing, cinematography, etc) of this film are of a high calibre, as expected from a British production - creating a gritty bleak foreboding atmosphere is something that seems to come naturally to British film makers. Unfortunately, I found the characters strangely lacking - I didn't really care much for Eddie's fate, even as he was repeatedly brutally punished for getting too close to the answers he was seeking.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The love affair with the mother of one of the victims was also unbelievable, especially its initiation. The finale, where the cops inexplicable hand Eddie a loaded gun (presumably to frame him or perhaps even to murder the real culprit?) was also confounding and required a suspension of belief that was beyond me.

6/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260581/
Paddy Considine plays a cop bought in from another precinct to investigate what appears to be a new "Yorkshire Ripper" case, that was thought to have been solved in 1977. This initially appears as more or less a stand-alone film, with only a loose connection to the earlier production (namely, it is set in Yorkshire with many of the same faces in the police force). However, the motivations of the murder are eventually found to relate back to 1974 ; if you have not seen the previous film understanding 1980 might be difficult.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
That said, why the perpetrators waited 6 years to tie up loose ends from the events from 1974 makes no sense whatsoever, and making it look like a new Yorkshire Ripper case even less so (given the scrutiny that inevitably brings)... but that what they are going with.
It seems clear by the end of this film that the Red Riding films might be more about police corruption than the murder cases that imo are only superficially covered in 1974 and 1980.
6/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259573/
The final in the trilogy is a direct sequel to 1974 and closely ties in with the events established in the earlier film, with only a few nods to the events chronicled in 1980. This is probably the strongest of the three, finally offering definitive closure to the child murder cases that were the focus of 1974. This time there are two main protagonists; a lawyer (Mark Addy) defending the mentally impaired patsy who had "confessed" to the murders, and one of the corrupt cops (David Morrissey) who finally finds a conscience after being confronted with the truth. The key problem with this entry imo is the confusing flashbacks that aren't always obvious - some sort of heads-up that we are watching a 1974 flashback would have been welcome. The multitude of flashbacks also result in the film feeling strangely disjointed, the confusion of time breaking the immersion of the otherwise compelling narrative.
7/10.

Overall this series is worth watching as a piece of quality dark cinema (it is close to if not literally British film noir), but I can't help but feel it could have been better.

Oh man you werent taken by the tone, the spirit, the MOOD of the trilogy? To the North: where we do what we like!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh man you werent taken by the tone, the spirit, the MOOD of the trilogy? To the North: where we do what we like!

Oh, absolutely! I even more or less said so: "The technical aspects (acting, directing, cinematography, etc) of this film are of a high calibre, as expected from a British production - creating a gritty bleak foreboding atmosphere is something that seems to come naturally to British film makers."
However, it takes more than just tone and mood to carry a film. Well, it does for me at any rate. I probably shouldn't have rated them individually now I think about it and seen as a whole it would be a 7/10 for the series. They're worth seeing to be sure.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Oh, absolutely! I even more or less said so: "The technical aspects (acting, directing, cinematography, etc) of this film are of a high calibre, as expected from a British production - creating a gritty bleak foreboding atmosphere is something that seems to come naturally to British film makers."
However, it takes more than just tone and mood to carry a film. Well, it does for me at any rate. I probably shouldn't have rated them individually now I think about it and seen as a whole it would be a 7/10 for the series. They're worth seeing to be sure.

I know you said that you just seemed a bit down on the whole series and I think they're terrific. Though I think 2 is the best, and you have it as the worst

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm
Second Unit Director

RE: Red Riding in the Year of Our Lord: (2009)

Why haven't I heard of these? Now I am intrigued and want to check them out. Well done, friends!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 pm
Cinematographer

Searching for Sugar Man

I was a little worried going into this one that it wouldn't live up to the hype, considering that just about everyone I know who enjoys movies seems to love it. If I'm being totally honest, I was a little disappointed in the movie immediately after it ended, seeing the film as a really interesting, unlikely story, but not a whole lot more. Over the course of the last few days, however, I've found myself thinking quite a bit about the implications of such an unlikely story. The film's genius is how it presents Rodriguez as an artist writing really intimate, political songs about not just America, but his native town of Detroit. His writing is really invested in what was going on in Detroit during the time period, yet, somehow, his music resonated with South Africans and was something of a touchstone in the anti-apartheid movement. It doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense, but it does really speak to the universal appeal of music. The movie scores points for presenting that plainly, but not doting on the idea.

I wasn't as moved by the climax as most seem to have been. Sure, it's uplifting, and it's always nice to see an artist recognized and appreciate for his/her work, but the film paints Rodriguez as such a mythical figure that I got the impression he wouldn't have really cared one way or the other if his work was never recognized. I'm not saying he was unappreciative, just that he seemed like the kind of guy who created his art for himself. In that sense, he's a true artist.

Cecil B. Demented

John Waters' evisceration of, well, pretty much everything related to the film industry. It's about a group of underground filmmakers who kidnap a big mainstream star and force her to star in their renegade movie. The movie starts off as a fairly inspired satire, but it's two joke premise (1. indie films are cultish 2. mainstream films are mind-numbingly boring and safe)wears out its welcome pretty quickly and you're left with a movie that's largely referencing other movies, or types of movies, for laughs. It's sparingly funny, and not interested in doing much else.

The bottom line is I can't imagine anyone who isn't really into movies liking this, and even those who do really like movies will probably get bored.

Blazing Saddles

Everything that Cecil B. Demented is not. A brilliant, ballsy, in your face satire about racism in Hollywood that's about as high energy as a movie can get. It's inspired comedy and something anyone attempting a true satire should strive to live up to. I doubt it could even be made today, but movies in general are better for it having been made.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm
Director

To the Wonder (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595656/
After seeing, and not particularly enjoying, The Tree of Life, I should have known better than to go in for seconds of writer/director Terrence Malick. To be sure, To the Wonder is an absolute feast for the eyes, the photography in this minimalistic film (with almost no spoken dialogue, as was also the case for The Tree of Life) is nothing short of breathtaking. Olga Kurylenko especially is mesmerising in the role of the manic depressive conflicted French lover/wife of an American (Ben Affleck, who is strangely cold and distant in this role). However, it takes more than beautiful pictures and people to make a great film. "Pretentious" is not quite the right word to describe the cinema Malick offers, imo there is nothing wrong with appeasing the senses. That said, while I never once found To the Wonder "boring" per se, it nonetheless didn't have much meat, striving instead to satisfy with just a LOT of gravy. Thankfully, no dinosaurs this time.
5/10.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm
Critic

Taleswapper wrote:
RE: Red Riding in the Year of Our Lord: (2009)

Why haven't I heard of these? Now I am intrigued and want to check them out. Well done, friends!

Right on. They're really awesome

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634 ... 821  Next