Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 am

Have you been on any movie sets? 
Second Unit Director

Post Have you been on any movie sets?
I was visiting Vancouver, BC a few weeks ago and I found myself standing right on the outskirts of the set of the new Godzilla movie. Filming is in progress downtown Vancouver. They had streets blocked off, and debris everywhere. I got to see Bryan Cranston filming on set.

That got me wondering if you guys have had many experiences see a movie being filmed. If so, where were you and what movie was it?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:46 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Have you been on any movie sets?
Damn I wish I could've been there. That new Zilla film sounds badass.(though I actually did enjoy the 1998 film).

Unfortunately I have not yet been on a film set, though there have been some movies filmed close to where I live, Ladder 49 was filmed at the fire station in Antioch, Illinois, which is about 15 minutes from where I live.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Not real big budget, famous movie sets but I have hung around my friend when he's off making his movies. That kinda counts

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Not real big budget, famous movie sets but I have hung around my friend when he's off making his movies. That kinda counts

What are some of your friend's films?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
patrick wrote:

What are some of your friend's films?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4683233/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Both of those movies listed there are his but I only hung out on the Billi and Theodore shoot since he was in town to make that.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 pm
Director

Aside from a couple short films I made myself, no.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 am
Producer

Good thread

They've just finished making a movie in my hometown. Now, to put this into perpective, my hometown isn't the most affluent on earth - and the movie is actually set in early 1970s war-torn Belfast.

I drove past a few weeks ago and saw a load of tanks. I also used to work on the same estate, as did my wife who worked in the local school. It's still only 15 minutes walk from us.

Here you go - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336722/Blackburn-street-transformed-Belfast-1970s-create-hellish-scenes-sectarian-violence-height-The-Troubles-new-film.html

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 am
Second Unit Director

I wasn't there during filming, but I have this in my "movie tourism" photo albums (can't access from here), so yeah, I've been on a movie set.

http://woodstockgroundhog.org/

If you ever get a chance to go here, it's worth it. The movie Groundhog Day gave Woodstock, IL its identity. If ever a town was a "character" in a movie, it's this movie.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
I wasn't there during filming, but I have this in my "movie tourism" photo albums (can't access from here), so yeah, I've been on a movie set.

http://woodstockgroundhog.org/

If you ever get a chance to go here, it's worth it. The movie Groundhog Day gave Woodstock, IL its identity. If ever a town was a "character" in a movie, it's this movie.

Agreed, I visited Woodstock once and the film definitely captured the feel pretty well. The Ice Harvest was also filmed in Waukegan, IL, which is where my grandmother lives.

For a place that's been used for films but I wasn't there during filming, there's the Amstutz Expressway, a short stretch of highway that frequently gets used in films(including Groundhog Day)like Blues Brothers, Batman Begins, Contagion, etc.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Why sure I have. During my time as a reporter in Grand Ledge, MI, I had the inside scoop on the set for An Apology to the Dead. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236387/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 It is the sole directorial credit to Tim Gunn's (Project Runway) name. It was a neat experience.

I never did see the final product though, so I couldn't tell you if the dead accepted the apology or not. :)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:53 pm
Producer

You were a reporter in Grand Ledge? What paper did you work for?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
You were a reporter in Grand Ledge? What paper did you work for?

The Grand Ledge Independent. A very far cry from the New York Times , or even the nearby Lansing State Journal for that matter. Ahhh, small town journalism! :)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:39 pm
Producer

Haha, I applied to the LSJ once and they turned me down. But apparently I was close--enough so that the editor I interviewed with called me up to reject me personally. That was nice of her.

My first teenage job was in GL. Not as glamorous as reporting, but I got to spend my summers knee-deep in dirt and plants with my headphones on, which is about as good as it gets when you're 15.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Nice! Small world.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 pm