Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 am

Pacific Rim (2013) 
Assistant Director

Post Pacific Rim (2013)
I saw this at an advance screening in DC the other night and thought it was a lot of fun. It is nice to have a blockbuster that isn't based on a comic book, TV show, book, etc. for once. It's standard-order blockbuster, escapist material, but Del Toro has a little fun with the "mind meld" aspect of the movie, and it won't insult viewers' intelligence. Unlike many of these summer blockbusters, I really don't see this one polarizing audiences. It delivers what's expected of it, and with panache.

Also, Idris Elba is the man. Dominates every scene. It's too late for me to participate in the "Gamble" for this week's contest, but I'm giving the movie a rock-solid *** and I think JB will too.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Pacific Rim (2013)
Was thinking of taking my son to see this but he's kinda young. Does it earn it's PG-13 rating? Heavy language and/or gruesome violence?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm
Assistant Director

Not much in the way of language, but when it comes to violence, it's squarely in the middle of the PG-13 zone. Kind of like the Transformers movies.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm
Second Unit Director

So it's kinda mayhem like violence as opposed to gory violence?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 pm
Gaffer

Its the kind of violence you see in any Japanese Godzilla movie, only slicker and much better special effects.

Here is a 2 minute clip of what you can expect on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 pm
Second Unit Director

I was looking forward to 3 BIG releases this summer:

Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
Elysium

I liked Man of Steel (but thought it missed out on epic status). But, with all that I've read and seen about Pacific Rim, I cannot fucking wait. I feel just like I did when I was 10 years old, waiting on Independence Day (I still love that movie, even though it hasn't aged well). Everybody has praised all of the advanced screenings.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 pm
Producer

It does look pretty cool, but right now RED 2 is my most anticipated summer release.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
It does look pretty cool, but right now RED 2 is my most anticipated summer release.

I recall liking RED quite a bit when it came out but, apart from some of the iconic imagery (Willis standing in the street firing his piece as the spinning car's bumper barely misses him, Malkovich charging a group of people while wired with sticks of dynamite, Mirren going fully autmatic with a SMG), I could not really tell you what the movie was about. Quintessential "throw-away" entertainment. The mind is a terrible thing to lose.... 8-)

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:54 pm
Director

Some critic on twitter had watched RED 2. No opinion given but he/she warned that if you really want to see it fresh avoid the trailer at all costs, because it "offhandedly gives away every single significant reveal".

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Some critic on twitter had watched RED 2. No opinion given but he/she warned that if you really want to see it fresh avoid the trailer at all costs, because it "offhandedly gives away every single significant reveal".

....whoops

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm
Producer

patrick wrote:
peng wrote:

....whoops

Little late for me too, RED 2 is being pretty heavily promoted by my local theaters, i'm pretty sure the trailer shows the final scene of the film(you'll know it when you see it)

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:09 am
Director

from variety. I'll pass.

Quote:
Of all the doom-laden fantasies the studios have rolled out this summer, “Pacific Rim” is the one pushing itself most aggressively as guilt-free entertainment, offering up an apocalyptic spectacle in a spirit of unpretentious, unapologetic fun. Which it will be, at least for those who measure fun primarily in terms of noise, chaos and bombast, or who can find continual novelty in the sight of giant monsters and robots doing battle for the better part of two hours. Viewers with less of an appetite for nonstop destruction should brace themselves for the squarest, clunkiest and certainly loudest movie of director Guillermo del Toro’s career, a crushed-metal orgy that plays like an extended 3D episode of “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” on very expensive acid.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 pm
Director

I don't think I followed Variety anymore after Todd McCarthy left (or laid off?), so that did nothing for me. Anyway, it currently sit at 81% on RT with a very good average rating 7.8 (at 30 reviews, though).

Oh, and just found out that Todd liked it: "A better-and-smarter-than-average humans-vs.-monsters spectacular" and called it "paradoxically derivative yet imaginative." As usual, I read no further than the first two paragraphs, because his reviews at the new site (Hollywood Reporter) seem to require that he provide spoiler in the middle of the reviews.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I know so many people who are super hyped about seeing it. I like Guillermo del Toro’s work for the most part, but I just don't care about robots fighting big monsters. It feels like it's designed to appeal to a huge nerd demographic that should somehow appeal to me, but I just don't get it. I hope it's fun and enjoyable for the people that like this stuff, but I'm going to be sitting over here watching something else.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 am
Second Unit Director

AJR wrote:
I just don't care about robots fighting big monsters. It feels like it's designed to appeal to a huge nerd demographic

Hey! I resemble that remark! Actually I grew up watching the Toho "Godzilla and freinds" movies; while not a fantaic about them, I did enjoy quite a bit. While I'm not a huge Transformers fan (only saw the first 2 and on the small screen at that), I'll give this one a try gven its pedigree.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm
Director

Well, Godzilla comes out next summer. I'd rather see that than the 'Kaijus' fighting robots.

Weird how so many fanboys act like this flick is so above Transformers etc.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:

Also weird how some can pass snap judgements on a movie (and others) without having seen it.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm
Director

For me, before the reviews most people on movie boards (and mostly in general, at least in my case) seemed torn and had a wait-and-see attitude: on one hand, the premise and many of the trailers look really generic and unfavorably evoked Transformers; on the other hand, it's Guillermo del Toro. But after many notable twitter reactions (such as Edgar Wright) and the positive reviews, the anticipation just rocked up.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

That's kind of what I thought when the trailers first started to roll out. I think the only reason why people are so hopeful for this is because it comes from Guillermo Del Toro because if it weren't directed by him, people would probably be bitching about how generic looking it looks. As a visual spectacle it looks OKAY, but I'll be seeing this with low expectations. It's just going to be like a pre-Transformers movie before Michael Bay comes out with the next real Transformers movie.

I will say this, based on what I've read, it does look like this'll be the first movie since Life of Pi that I'll actually be watching in 3D.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
calvero wrote:

That's kind of what I thought when the trailers first started to roll out. I think the only reason why people are so hopeful for this is because it comes from Guillermo Del Toro because if it weren't directed by him, people would probably be bitching about how generic looking it looks. As a visual spectacle it looks OKAY, but I'll be seeing this with low expectations. It's just going to be like a pre-Transformers movie before Michael Bay comes out with the next real Transformers movie.

I will say this, based on what I've read, it does look like this'll be the first movie since Life of Pi that I'll actually be watching in 3D.

Was this film actually shot in 3-D or post-converted?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm