Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 am

THE LONE RANGER 
Site Admin

Post THE LONE RANGER
Click here for the review of The Lone Ranger

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
This looks absolutely horrendous and I can see it being one of the biggest flops of the year.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:23 pm
Gaffer

well, that's disappointing but certainly not unexpected. trailers looked mediocre but I REALLY wanted it to be good. the only surprise, in any case, is that the performances are so bad. what about the supporting performances, James? the likes of Helena Bonham-Cartner, Tom Wilkinson and William Fintchner aren't THAT bad... right?

http://www.sebastianzavala.com/

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sebastian wrote:
well, that's disappointing but certainly not unexpected. trailers looked mediocre but I REALLY wanted it to be good. the only surprise, in any case, is that the performances are so bad. what about the supporting performances, James? the likes of Helena Bonham-Cartner, Tom Wilkinson and William Fintchner aren't THAT bad... right?

Some of them - Wilkinson and Fitchner in particular - are quite good. It's the material and Depp that are problematic.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
This looks absolutely horrendous and I can see it being one of the biggest flops of the year.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Is there really an audience for this out there?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
Is there really an audience for this out there?

That's the problem as you aptly pointed out. I strongly suspect it will get an audeince for a week or so of the curious types and Depp fans even though his star has dimmed somewhat as proven by teh failures of The Tourist, The Rum Diary and Dark Shadows. But once word gets out it'll fall off big time.

Most of the teen and young adult audience are totally clueless about who The Lone Ranger is or don't care. I strongly suspect that's why Depp is in it, to draw them in.

In some ways this is like what happened with WIld WIld West. Not in terms of quality perhaps (since this sounds like it's nowhere near as awful as that was). But in terms of appeal. When that movie came out, most of the core WIll Smith fans hadn't seen or even heard of the TV show. Same thing here. In addition, it also got released in a summer where TV remakes were omnipresent with that, Inspector Gadget and Dudley Do-right. Same thing happened the following year with ROcky ANd Bullwinkle. WHile that one had many significant other problems, in terms of box office, tehre was no appeal to the kid crowd. It seemed to be targeted at nostalgic baby boomers and they stayed away.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Is there really an audience for this out there?

That's the problem as you aptly pointed out. I strongly suspect it will get an audeince for a week or so of the curious types and Depp fans even though his star has dimmed somewhat as proven by teh failures of The Tourist, The Rum Diary and Dark Shadows. But once word gets out it'll fall off big time.

Most of the teen and young adult audience are totally clueless about who The Lone Ranger is or don't care. I strongly suspect that's why Depp is in it, to draw them in.

In some ways this is like what happened with Wild Wild West. Not in terms of quality perhaps (since this sounds like it's nowhere near as awful as that was). But in terms of appeal. When that movie came out, most of the core Will Smith fans hadn't seen or even heard of the TV show. Same thing here. In addition, it also got released in a summer where TV remakes were omnipresent with that, Inspector Gadget and Dudley Do-right. Same thing happened the following year with ROcky ANd Bullwinkle. While that one had many significant other problems, in terms of box office, there was no appeal to the kid crowd. It seemed to be targeted at nostalgic baby boomers and they stayed away.

I actually was a fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle at the time it was released(not Dudley Do Right though, that just plain sucked), still like it today though not quite as much. There's also going to be a Peabody and Sherman film next year, and I expect it to run into the same problems of drawing an audience.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 pm
Cinematographer

Very reminiscent of 2010's Jonah Hex. Hopefully, it will bomb just as badly.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:03 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Very reminiscent of 2010's Jonah Hex. Hopefully, it will bomb just as badly.

It might do even worse since budget for this film is more then 5 times higher then Jonah Hex's was(47 million to be exact), so it has a lot more money to lose.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm
Director

"Tonto looks like we are getting lots of negative reviews"

"What do you mean 'we' paleface?"

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Second Unit Director

I think you can only count on one hand the number of TV shows that actually made a successful transition to the big screen.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 am
Director

ck100 wrote:
I think you can only count on one hand the number of TV shows that actually made a successful transition to the big screen.

The Untouchables, The Fugitive. Those are the two that come to mind immediately. While I liked Michael Mann's Miami Vice adaptation better than some other people did and admit to a certain guilty pleasure enjoyment of the Steve Carell starring Get Smart, neither is near the top echeleon of that limited genre.

After sitting through Bewitched I was talking with a friend and observed "Didn't we learn anything from The Flintstones? Mr. Magoo? Wild Wild West? Scooby Doo? Inspector Gadget".

Actually I don't think Bewitched was quite on the level of those other disasters. But it was close.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:35 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
ck100 wrote:

The Untouchables, The Fugitive. Those are the two that come to mind immediately. While I liked Michael Mann's Miami Vice adaptation better than some other people did and admit to a certain guilty pleasure enjoyment of the Steve Carell starring Get Smart, neither is near the top echeleon of that limited genre.

After sitting through Bewitched I was talking with a friend and observed "Didn't we learn anything from The Flintstones? Mr. Magoo? Wild Wild West? Scooby Doo? Inspector Gadget".

Actually I don't think Bewitched was quite on the level of those other disasters. But it was close.

I found Miami Vice to be a pretty average film, though I did like Inspector Gadget, Bewitched, Scooby-Doo and Mr. Magoo. Also enjoyed Avengers(the one with Sean Connery), Mod Squad, I Spy, Aeon Flux, 21 Jump Street, The Honeymooners, Car 54 Where Are You?, Edge Of Darkness, Dragnet, Dukes Of Hazzard, Land Of The Lost, Lost In Space, McHale's Navy, The Saint, S.W.A.T. and of course the Mission Impossible films.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 am
Director

Star Trek? The Fugitive, Maverick, Get Smart, The X-Files, and Strangers with Candy (The last one is arguable, but I thought it kept the spirit of the original series just fine). And as Vexer said, Mission Impossible and 21 Jump Street. And definitely Serenity.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 am
Second Unit Director

OK, maybe you can count past one hand the number of TV shows that made a successful transition to the big screen. Not sure you can count on two hands, but I know you can't go beyond two hands worth even if you could given the movie material.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 am
Producer

peng wrote:
The X-Files

The first one maybe, but I'm pretty sure the second one flopped, and, sadly, for good reason.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 am
Producer

The Lone Ranger has a ton of problems. It's too long, tonally it's a bit of a mess, etc. But, in spite all it's problems, I enjoyed it. Enjoyed the chemistry between Depp and Hammer (even though Depp and the movie itself never has a good read on the character of Tonto), enjoyed all of the many great, big action set pieces and despite it being too long, the movie is never boring.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 am
Second Unit Director

Sebastian wrote:

Some of them - Wilkinson and Fitchner in particular - are quite good. It's the material and Depp that are problematic.

If the supporting character is played by a MUCH bigger star than the lead, you're likely to have problems to start with. Beyond that, Depp does best when he does quirky, and Tonto isn't/shouldn't be quirky.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 pm
Gaffer

Honestly I think most of Depp's recent films have been getting some kick back from critics because he overdid his stay with the Pirates franchise. Where before Depp was hailed by critics for his thoughtful performances with quirky characters, now everyone says he just 'plays Jack Sparrow.' Well I disagree with that. His particular style of quirky ticks and expressions were established long before the pirates movies ever came into play. So I think critics, including James here, take a vacation from reason and just broad stoke anything he does as a "Jack Sparrow" mime. I don't think he 'phones in' these performances as suggested. I think he gives them the same kind of delivery he's given all of his characters. I just think the Sparrow character became so iconic, it has overshadowed his ability to continue in a similar fashion. Critics now only see that one character. And that's unfortunate because he is a good actor. And no I don't like all of his selections. The Tourist didn't give him strong material to really develop his character. He seemed equally lacking in character material for the Rum Diaries. But I thought he was back in good form in Dark Shadows and I look forward to seeing him in the Lone Ranger. Is he too much of a method actor? Perhaps one could argue that. But when he takes on those quirky characters, I think he brings them to life as only HE can. And without his unique brand of delivery, these movies would not breath at all. I think people are simply done bestowing their love on Depp. So now he has to hunker down while people extract their pound of flesh for his success with the Pirates films.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Auteur

Blockbuster46 wrote:
Honestly I think most of Depp's recent films have been getting some kick back from critics because he overdid his stay with the Pirates franchise. Where before Depp was hailed by critics for his thoughtful performances with quirky characters, now everyone says he just 'plays Jack Sparrow.' Well I disagree with that. His particular style of quirky ticks and expressions were established long before the pirates movies ever came into play. So I think critics, including James here, take a vacation from reason and just broad stoke anything he does as a "Jack Sparrow" mime. I don't think he 'phones in' these performances as suggested. I think he gives them the same kind of delivery he's given all of his characters. I just think the Sparrow character became so iconic, it has overshadowed his ability to continue in a similar fashion. Critics now only see that one character. And that's unfortunate because he is a good actor. And no I don't like all of his selections. The Tourist didn't give him strong material to really develop his character. He seemed equally lacking in character material for the Rum Diaries. But I thought he was back in good form in Dark Shadows and I look forward to seeing him in the Lone Ranger. Is he too much of a method actor? Perhaps one could argue that. But when he takes on those quirky characters, I think he brings them to life as only HE can. And without his unique brand of delivery, these movies would not breath at all. I think people are simply done bestowing their love on Depp. So now he has to hunker down while people extract their pound of flesh for his success with the Pirates films.

I actually thought The Tourist was one of his better performances because for once he wasn't trying too hard to be "quirky" I used to like him, though I thought he was getting stale even before he played Jack Sparrow, I think his decline started with Sleepy Hollow. Personally I think he's became a mostly one-dimensional actor and for many people like myself his antics have grown tiresome(Dark Shadows was just painful to watch because of how horrible he was) and I find most of his recent characters to be lifeLESS.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm