Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of
There's usually one or two Criterion releases per month that I write down as potential buys for the future. With March, however, all of them look worthy of a purchase. The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp especially is a great film, as is Badlands.

PeachyPete wrote:
Has anyone seen Lang's Ministry of Fear (fantastic cover, btw) or Two-Lane Blacktop? Both of those look particularly interesting to me. I'll also be checking out Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux because, well, it's Chaplin and he's great.

I hadn't even heard of Ministry of Fear before seeing it on the list of March releases. It feels like something I should have discovered a long time ago.

I actually just watched Two-Lane Blacktop for the first time a couple of days ago. It's extremely light on anything related to plot and action, but it has the same kind of hypnotizing watch-ability as something like Easy Rider.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Director

After seeing several lists of that type on the Criterion website I decided to make:

Top 10 Criterion List

Dazed And COnfused
Do The Right Thing
Hoop Dreams
Tie: Hard Boiled/The Killer
Mona Lisa
El Norte
Rashomon
Silence Of The Lambs
The Ice Storm
If
Withnal And I

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 pm
Assistant Director

The War Zone should totally be on there...especially if that ass clown Wes Anderson has movies listed.

Also: Scream, The Descent, Alien, Aliens, Fatal Attraction, The Lord of the Rings, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Casablanca, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 11, The Dark Knight,Taxi Driver

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
The Godfather Part 11

I didn't realize they'd made (at least) 11 "Godfather" movies. Did I miss something? :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 pm
Producer

I am particularly fond of The Godfather, Part 9, aside from the hokey "Vito in cryosleep" twist.

"Someday they'll find a cure," my ass.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 pm
Director

Nashville and Intolerance coming to blu-ray this holiday season. FINALLY

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:35 am
Producer

Blonde Almond wrote:
There's usually one or two Criterion releases per month that I write down as potential buys for the future. With March, however, all of them look worthy of a purchase. The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp especially is a great film, as is Badlands.

PeachyPete wrote:
Has anyone seen Lang's Ministry of Fear (fantastic cover, btw) or Two-Lane Blacktop? Both of those look particularly interesting to me. I'll also be checking out Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux because, well, it's Chaplin and he's great.

I hadn't even heard of Ministry of Fear before seeing it on the list of March releases. It feels like something I should have discovered a long time ago.

I actually just watched Two-Lane Blacktop for the first time a couple of days ago. It's extremely light on anything related to plot and action, but it has the same kind of hypnotizing watch-ability as something like Easy Rider.

Colonel Blimp is an amazing film. The saying "ahead of its time" really gets on my nerves. But with Blimp it is justified.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:07 am
Director

Anyone else kinda pissed that, starting next month, they're switching strictly to DVD/Blu-ray combo packs for all titles? Since it's one of my all-time favorite films (still the only types of films I'm willing to buy on Blu-ray -- well, and films that, in their DVD incarnations, were split over 2 discs/both sides of one disc), I was looking forward to upgrading my old Paramount DVD copy of "Nashville" to Blu... but now I have to buy it on DVD for a second time as well. :evil: Granted, I'm still going to buy it, but it's awful redundant. This also means I'll have no choice but to buy future titles that among my favorite films in Blu-ray sized cases and thus would look awkward if I put them in with rest of my DVDs in my library (yeah, I'm a little OCD that way... :P ).

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:29 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Anyone else kinda pissed that, starting next month, they're switching strictly to DVD/Blu-ray combo packs for all titles? Since it's one of my all-time favorite films (still the only types of films I'm willing to buy on Blu-ray -- well, and films that, in their DVD incarnations, were split over 2 discs/both sides of one disc), I was looking forward to upgrading my old Paramount DVD copy of "Nashville" to Blu... but now I have to buy it on DVD for a second time as well. :evil: Granted, I'm still going to buy it, but it's awful redundant. This also means I'll have no choice but to buy future titles that among my favorite films in Blu-ray sized cases and thus would look awkward if I put them in with rest of my DVDs in my library (yeah, I'm a little OCD that way... :P ).

I can see how it would be annoying for people who still primarily buy DVDs, as they will have to invest a little more for the Criterions they want. As someone who switched over exclusively to Bluray for new Criterion releases a couple years back, I don't have any problem with it. I appreciate having the options, just as long as the price stays the same.

It does seem a little weird that they're deciding to go this route now though, especially since that massive 25 film Zatoichi set is right around the corner.

Speaking of new releases, they just announced the line-up for January:

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
It does seem a little weird that they're deciding to go this route now though, especially since that massive 25 film Zatoichi set is right around the corner.

Speaking of new releases, they just announced the line-up for January:

You got my attention! Now I know what I'm asking Santa to bring me for Christmas. :P :mrgreen:

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:54 pm
Cinematographer

Latest Barnes & Noble Criterion sale has begun:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Criteri ... /379003202

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

February releases:

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Breathless had already been released on Bluray, but it's being repackaged as a dual format release. Blue Is The Warmest Color supposedly has a more comprehensive package releasing at a later time; this release seems to be more about keeping it in mind for awards season.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Director

Loveee that Fantastic Mr. Fox cover.

So.. are those sequels to The 400 Blows worth watching?

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:49 am
Director

Jules and Jim finally on Blu-ray is nice.

Thought it technically wasn't a criterion release, I now own a copy of the Intolerance blu-ray. It's really cool. Casts the movie in a new light from what I've seen before, mainly because the film speed seems to be slightly faster than the youtube and dvd versions. Instead of 200 minutes, the film is now 170 minutes, and no material has been lost. It just moves way faster. Carl Davis's score is a little bombastic at times. But overall it's great.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:28 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:

I haven't seen them, and doing a quick search I'm not sure if anyone else on the forum has either. But because they're Truffaut, I imagine they're worth the time. Criterion has an Antoine Doinel DVD boxset, but I've held off on it in fear that a Bluray re-release could be right around the corner.

MGamesCook wrote:
Thought it technically wasn't a criterion release, I now own a copy of the Intolerance blu-ray. It's really cool. Casts the movie in a new light from what I've seen before, mainly because the film speed seems to be slightly faster than the youtube and dvd versions. Instead of 200 minutes, the film is now 170 minutes, and no material has been lost. It just moves way faster. Carl Davis's score is a little bombastic at times. But overall it's great.

Intolerance is one of those big gaps in my film-viewing history, and that new Bluray is very tempting. Interesting to hear about the length differences; one of the reasons I've held off for so long on seeing it is the epic length, so hearing that it's shorter without losing any material peaks my interest again.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

peng wrote:
Loveee that Fantastic Mr. Fox cover.

I love The Fantastic Mr Fox. Fucking amazing film!

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:50 pm
Director

I think February's Criterion lineup is great. Five really solid films.

For what it's worth, I've heard rumors that Criterion is going to put out The Brood, Eraserhead, and Mulholland Drive.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:17 pm
Director

Quote:
Intolerance is one of those big gaps in my film-viewing history, and that new Bluray is very tempting. Interesting to hear about the length differences; one of the reasons I've held off for so long on seeing it is the epic length, so hearing that it's shorter without losing any material peaks my interest again.

Absolutely. This new version makes it much more accessible. It's kind of a pricey purchase though. Don't know if Netflix has it yet.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:36 am
Director

peng wrote:

They're all pretty lightweight compared to "The 400 Blows," but, yeah, they're definitely worth a look. I think "Bed and Board" was my favorite.

FINALLY we're getting "King of the Hill" on DVD/Blu. :) Now bring on "Kafka."

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I think February's Criterion lineup is great. Five really solid films.

For what it's worth, I've heard rumors that Criterion is going to put out The Brood, Eraserhead, and Mulholland Drive.

They've also been talking about Y Tu Mama Tambien for the past forever. Sometimes they take forever. D:

They're apparently going to release the Apu trilogy at some point, which is why I started following the Criterion Collection in the first place.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next