Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437 ... 481  Next
The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY) 
Post Re: The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY)
nitrium wrote:
Now you've made it TOO easy (I think...).
Surely, that's a scene from Django (1966).

Well the first Tarantino reference should have given it away, not the old European aspect ratio and not the cameos of the title character. I didn't show any screen cap with Franco Nero himself in it, didn't I. :-)

Besides (just my humble opinion) why should an entry here be so difficult to the point of stalling the game?

Anyhowza: Yes it IS the original "Django".

You're on.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 am
Assistant Director

Ok here's one, which I'm sure will be fairly difficult.
Hint: This is considered a classic in its country of origin (which is not the US).

Attachments:
sd1.jpg
sd1.jpg [ 53.34 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]
Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 am
Assistant Director

Here's a 2nd screen cap.
Hint: If you recognize the actor (who is well known internationally, but much younger here) you should be able to figure it out with the help of imdb, even if you haven't seen the film.

Attachments:
sd2.jpg
sd2.jpg [ 51.15 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]
Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm
Please don't get me wrong, but you are doing exactly the opposite of helpig: remaining vague. Please feel free to disagree with me.

BTW: this thread is still stalling, istn't it? - again, please don't get me wrong. 8-) :)

Anyway: the face looks a lot like Sam Neill. Will be back in a sec.

I'm back: A wild guess: "Landfall" (1975)?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm
Assistant Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Anyway: the face looks a lot like Sam Neill. Will be back in a sec.

Right. Good spotting. The first screen cap really is too hard when Sam still had a full beard (in the same film). Actually I see now that first screen cap was not good at all - the faces are too obscured. Another hint: The filename at the bottom of screen caps give the initials of the movie title.

I guess the key is perhaps to choose films that are semi-mainstream? If you put screen caps from The Avengers or Batman I'm not sure it would have much merit. It would simply be a competition of who pushed "submit" first.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm
O.K. Sam Neill it is. I give up, because I am located in Portugal and all movie titles come up in portuguese first (to make things even more difficult: in portuguese as released in Portugal, not as released in Brazil... ), so it might take me forever to seep through everyting. It isn't any better in my native Germany where many non-german films were released under different titles over the years.

I gladly pass on to someone else - with one small observation: what about titles of movies from non English-titled movies. How should we go about it?

And yes: I agree we should find something between mainstream stuff and (US) foreign indie-arthouse stuff to post here.

Cheers and all the best 8-)

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 am
Cinematographer

Don't mind if I do!

Attachments:
guess.jpg
guess.jpg [ 50.74 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]
Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm
Critic

Jacob's Ladder. Terrific fucking film.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
O.K. Sam Neill it is. I give up, because I am located in Portugal and all movie titles come up in portuguese first (to make things even more difficult: in portuguese as released in Portugal, not as released in Brazil... ), so it might take me forever to seep through everyting. It isn't any better in my native Germany where many non-german films were released under different titles over the years.

I gladly pass on to someone else - with one small observation: what about titles of movies from non English-titled movies. How should we go about it?

And yes: I agree we should find something between mainstream stuff and (US) foreign indie-arthouse stuff to post here.

Cheers and all the best 8-)

To actually answer nitrium's question/pic...Sleeping Dogs. The More you Know

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:41 pm
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
To actually answer nitrium's question/pic...Sleeping Dogs. The More you Know

Whoops. Sorry for jumping the gun. Saw Threeperf "passing on to someone else" and got excited. Bad Johnny!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

Oh...and that is correct. But then, you knew that.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

Please let me jump in: Tim Robbins with blood and VietNam war style dog tags - how easy is that?

I mean I was showing the iconic muddy (italo-) western town from "Django" (1966) complete with guys wearing strong read KKK-style tissue around their heads or necks. Too difficult? I provided a new screen capture plus some hints, now it's too easy?

This is no criticism, just a thought!

Can we please keep this gane fun instead of arthouse vs. mainstream? I mean that very obscure flick with a very young Sam Neill. No offense, really, but puh-lease!!!! Just my humble input.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm
Producer

"Django" wasn't too difficult, although I didn't know the answer. I don't know if "Sleeping Dogs" is obscure or not. (PS: "Sleeping Dogs" is second from the bottom of Sam Neill's Wikipedia page, both in English and in Portuguese. If it wasn't, you could look Sam Neill up in Portuguese and click on "English" to get the English version. Although that makes it too easy.)

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm
Assistant Director

Quote:
Can we please keep this gane fun instead of arthouse vs. mainstream? I mean that very obscure flick with a very young Sam Neill. No offense, really, but puh-lease!!!! Just my humble input.

Here in New Zealand, Sleeping Dogs is a "must have seen it" film for movie lovers. I guess it's a bit like an early Enemy of the State. Basically a totalitarian government cracking down on dissenters. Obviously dated, but still a good watch. Posting something with someone as recognizable as Sam Neill (fully acknowledge that my first image was hopeless though), is not nearly as hard as moviemkr7's Ben and Arthur shot (which no one managed to guess for weeks). As I see it browsing this thread, I think unless the image is "iconic" for the movie in question, recognizable faces are something the poster should at least keep in mind to make it possible to figure out even for those who might not have seen the film in question. Personally, I kind of like the idea of learning about movies I haven't seen, especially if it's a good one, i.e. challenging, but not impossible.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm
nitrium wrote:
Quote:

Here in New Zealand, Sleeping Dogs is a "must have seen it" film for movie lovers. I guess it's a bit like an early Enemy of the State. Basically a totalitarian government cracking down on dissenters. Obviously dated, but still a good watch. Posting something with someone as recognizable as Sam Neill (fully acknowledge that my first image was hopeless though), is not nearly as hard as moviemkr7's Ben and Arthur shot (which no one managed to guess for weeks). As I see it browsing this thread, I think unless the image is "iconic" for the movie in question, recognizable faces are something the poster should at least keep in mind to make it possible to figure out even for those who might not have seen the film in question. Personally, I kind of like the idea of learning about movies I haven't seen, especially if it's a good one, i.e. challenging, but not impossible.

I fully agree with you.
Well of course Europe (especially my native Germany) and New Zealand are very different cultures. Back in the 60s through mit 80s, besides Hollywood flcks, we still hat tons of European movies in cinemas (mostly French and Italian) and in arthouse cinemas 60s Britrish horror and rock music films, some German flicks, some good most forgettable), now it's some German and mostly Hollywood.... oh well. Oh yes and some Chinese martial arts movies. New Zealand? Nil. Australia: one: 1979's "Mad Max". :roll:

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Quote:

I fully agree with you.
Well of course Europe (especially my native Germany) and New Zealand are very different cultures. Back in the 60s through mit 80s, besides Hollywood flcks, we still hat tons of European movies in cinemas (mostly French and Italian) and in arthouse cinemas 60s Britrish horror and rock music films, some German flicks, some good most forgettable), now it's some German and mostly Hollywood.... oh well. Oh yes and some Chinese martial arts movies. New Zealand? Nil. Australia: one: 1979's "Mad Max". :roll:

You know Threeperf35, sometimes you are writing some right ole bullshit. When did arthouse cinemas in the 80ies ever show British 60ies horror movies (I assume you mean Hammer horror)? If you believe that French films aren't released anymore in Germany, you should check the box office numbers of last year. The highest grossing movie was 'Les Intouchables' (German title: 'Ziemlich beste Freunde'). 'Amour' didn't do too badly for a movie with a limited target audience. Non-Hollywood, non-German movies are being released all the time, they just don't show up in multiplexes that often. You know what? Non-mainstream foreign movies aren't shown in U.S. multiplexes either, because they don't put bums in the seats.

Do you seriously think that 'Mad Max' is the only Antipodean movie to have been released in German cinemas? Well, I have seen 'The Piano', 'Once were Warriors' (New Zealand), 'Muriel's Wedding' and 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'(Australia) in the cinema in the 90ies.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 am
Critic

Perf, I hope this meets your exacting standards

Attachments:
Screen shot 2013-06-28 at 3.31.56 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-06-28 at 3.31.56 AM.png [ 378.12 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:32 am
Unke wrote:
You know Threeperf35, sometimes you are writing some right ole bullshit.

There are different ways to put it if you disagree or even think I'm completely incompetent in general proving it repeatedly to the highly knowledgeable, feeling offended having to share this forum with inferior beings. But would you please watch your writing style in passages such as the one quoted above. I'd highly appreciate it. Thank you.

[EDIT]: I was referring to movie theaters like "Das Kommunale Kino" in Frankfurt (where often classic non-mainstream films were screened for courses of the Goethe University where I took some film classes), which showed (among movies which can be considered higher art) in the late 70s early 80s prints which belonged to a group of young cineasts, who traveled all around Germany screening their prints, wich included a loving retro-trash approach - a lot of Roger Corman and of course 60s Hammer-Horror. There was another cinema in Offenbach with a similar approach (showing also re-runs of then older rock semi-docus like "Pink Floyd in Pompeij" and "The Song Remais The Same", both are not exactly art house movies either. Well anything but mainstream flicks. Those WERE the arthouse movie theaters in my era. But what do I know...

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Perf, I hope this meets your exacting standards

Nah, not saying I have high standards. Not al all. And hey, don't even think of gang raping me now. I bought my iron panties and swallowd the key! :lol: ;)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:18 am
Critic

Hint for my movie: one of the rare foreign language films to be nominated for Best Picture, and it's a hell of a movie. That's not a hint as much as an opinion though.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437 ... 481  Next