Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:46 am

Things that are inherently funny to you. 
Producer

Post Things that are inherently funny to you.
I don't mean things that are funny to you if placed in the proper context, or things that are funny to you if spun in a certain way, or even things that you believe have the most comedic merit.

I'm talking things that, in your view, are always going to get a laugh out of you. Things that are just plain funny in and of themselves. This can be in movies or in life generally.

I'll start with a couple:

1. Farts. Farts are the best. I believe there might just be a lobe or nerve cluster in human brain anatomy dedicated to the recognition that farts are funny. If you know someone whom you believe doesn't find farts funny, I suggest that you just don't know that person well enough. Farts are a universal comedic language. Find the most isolated civilization on Earth and I guarantee you that its denizens will laugh at a fart.

2. Fast-paced ska music. I've always found this funny, but never really thought about it until I watched Conan O'Brien on Inside The Actor's Studio. (Excellent episode, by the way. I think this show is at its best when the guest is a comedian.) Conan mentions that one of his favorite genres of music is fast-paced rockabilly, because he finds it cartoonish. After watching this, I realized that I felt the same way about ska music: the faster, the funnier. There's something about the kinetic rhythms, the major mode harmonies, and the high-speed tempo that just sounds zany. Perhaps The Munsters has permanently altered our neurochemistry--every episode had one scene that ran in undercrank, because the sped-up footage with all the wild gesticulation got a laugh every time.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 am
Auteur

Post Re: Things that are inherently funny to you.
Low-brow sex humor in comedies and sitcoms is pretty much always guranteed to make me laugh my ass off, I also laugh my ass off at spoof parodies of films no matter how obvious the joke is.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 am
Cinematographer

Being frightened by something that is not particularly dangerous. I was walking through a clearing in the woods talking to a friend when I stepped into a small patch of weeds. An adult wild turkey exploded out from under my feet and just about made me soil my pants. My friend and I both rolled on the ground laughing with relief that the world didn't come to an end. Even funnier when it happens to somebody else, thus the popularity of pranking and stuff you see on TruTV. But Still funnier when naturally occurring.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 am
Second Unit Director

1. People laughing at people. When I watch a blooper reel, some pretty unfunny shit happens, but as soon as another cast or crew member laughs at the situation, and people get going..so do I. Everytime. This happens in my everyday life as well. If I'm out with my buddies and something moderately funny happens but one of my friends finds it a little funnier than they should, his/her laughter usually sends me into an unstoppable giggle machine.

2. Dumb, outrageous, stunts. Jackass makes me laugh like crazy. I'm not overly fond of the piss and shit gags, but the other stuff is hilarious.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 pm
Cinematographer

I always laugh at oddly worded phrases and oddly worded phrases that end up being bizarrely plausible. For example: Kevin Smith once wrote a book called My Boring-Ass Life. If you move the hyphen... it's a different book.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 am
Assistant Director

Foul-mouthed animals or animated characters. I'm sorry, but stuff like the parrot in Scary Movie 2 cuts me up.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Foul-mouthed animals or animated characters. I'm sorry, but stuff like the parrot in Scary Movie 2 cuts me up.

Ditto for me, that's why I loved Ted so much.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:58 pm
The very rare kind of great impersonator/impressionist who delivers stuff in a dead serious context. Nothing funnier than a spot-on impersonation which is not "sold" to the audience. I am tired of stand up comedians who prepare the audience for each impression like a used car salesperson. Impressions are the funniest when they are brilliant, contrasting within a dry, serious context.

Here is a classic example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY

I know you were asking about things independently of their context, but I think that humor is all about context. The foul mouthed parrot wouldn't be funny if someone would announce it long windedly: attention, here comes a foul mouthed parrot, it's so funny, check this... yeah, funny..... much better when it comes unexpected. That's why perfect comic timing is so important (and rare).

I find it funny for example when two clarinets play a melody perfectly in sync but in different keys (a minor second apart works brilliantly and is a classic example of humor in music: ill-fitting parts played with full intention as if the musicians were unaware of it - again: context). I think any music which is supposed to be "happy", then sped up, is funny (context: the failed intention of being happy - it ends up being ridiculous).
Why are farts funny? Because people (usually) don't want to fart. It's one of the best ways to destroy a person's diginty. That unexpected shift in tone is what makes it funny. Once your funny bone is tickled it gets even funnier when the farts are repeated (as in "Blazing Saddles"). Same with Jackass type of stunts. That's a modern version of a slapstick routine: the "failed attempt" where people unexpectedly fall on their butts, another variety is the "funny video" where people hurt themselves while trying out stunts - same here: an unexpected shift in tone while someone's dignity goes out the window. Works on its own because we are reminded of the original context. Once established, we just need to be reminded to find it funny. That's how a running gag works.
And that "being reminded" is the reason we laugh when others laugh (that's why laugh tracks exist and - to some extend - still work). Humor still goes back to a sudden tonal shift, a matter of context and timing.

This is of course my opinion - or my preferred brand of humor.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 am
Second Unit Director

I'll second farts and crazy stunts but expand them a bit. Unintended bodily function humor is hilarious. Farts are the best, but belches and hiccups are also hilarious in life, although film and TV don't always pull them off either. Hiccups in particular. Vomit is gross but also reliably funny. I find pratfalls of any kind hilarious, whether it's crazy stunts or just tripping and falling. I always have to suppress laughter while asking someone who tripped if they're OK, and if they are I let loose for a minute or two.

Black people imitating white people's diction is always funny. Dave Chapelle's is riotously funny for instance.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 am
Producer

Bonus points: when Chappelle does this, he sounds eerily like Barack Obama.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm
Ken wrote:
Bonus points: when Chappelle does this, he sounds eerily like Barack Obama.

Not going into politics, but yes I agree with you 100%. Obviously Barack Obama did that in reverse and worked on his accent to be somewhere "in between". Of course it would be kinda awkward (in lieu for a better word) if he sounded like, say, Chris Rock in his speeches. I'm just talking accents and speech patterns, not politics!

Anyway: this (non-caucasian standup comedians imitating white dudes) reminds me of an episode (can't recall if it was Family Guy or The Cleveland Show) where Cleveland Brown is dressed up (make up, blonde wig and all) as a white dude and Peter Griffin as a black dude (that alone is funny as hell!). Then Cleveland gets angry (well, Cleveland-angry, which is mild) and says (non verbatim): "No! Take that off! We folks can do you folks, but you folks can't do us folks!" - true but Cleveland's voice is done by Mike Henry, a guy as lilly white as they come. Damn, why has this whole thing to be so complicated?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:41 pm
Producer

It was Chappelle himself who once said that black people speak two languages: street vernacular and job interview.

I don't think it's political at all to say that Obama has accustomed himself to speaking job interview for the sake of his professional career. I just thought it was funny when I first noticed the similarities. Chappelle's absolutely hilarious recounting of the kid getting tasered at the John Kerry rally is just that much funnier because of that.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm
Cinematographer

Farting is the best example. It's always funny. Every. Single. Time.

I also will always laugh whenever I see someone fall down or trip. I can't get enough of people falling down. The more innocuous, the more funny.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 am
Cinematographer

Gedmud wrote:
1. People laughing at people. When I watch a blooper reel, some pretty unfunny shit happens, but as soon as another cast or crew member laughs at the situation, and people get going..so do I. Everytime. This happens in my everyday life as well. If I'm out with my buddies and something moderately funny happens but one of my friends finds it a little funnier than they should, his/her laughter usually sends me into an unstoppable giggle machine.

This is it for me- some people have laughter that I find infectious beyond any resistance. Here are a couple of clips from YouTube that I've found hilarious just for this reason:

Man describes accident involving 4 old ladies.

Monty Python: The Life of Brian - Biggus Dickus scene

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

This is it for me- some people have laughter that I find infectious beyond any resistance. Here are a couple of clips from YouTube that I've found hilarious just for this reason:

Man describes accident involving 4 old ladies.

Monty Python: The Life of Brian - Biggus Dickus scene

That first clip was hysterical.

This one gets me every time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LdHH0hmHY

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 am