Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 am

Still Waiting for 2013 to Deliver 
Director

Post Re: Still Waiting for 2013 to Deliver
I liked The Croods, Star Trek Into Darkness, Jack the Giant Slayer, The Place Beyond the Pines and Side Effects, but if any of those movies make my top 5, it's a bad year.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:03 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I liked The Croods, Star Trek Into Darkness, Jack the Giant Slayer, The Place Beyond the Pines and Side Effects, but if any of those movies make my top 5, it's a bad year

In some ways I'm reminded of the following:

Quote:
that whole tier of movies that used to reside in quality somewhere below, say, There Will Be Blood but well north of Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too? It's your run-of-the-mill hey-what's-playing-tonight movie—the kind of film about which you should be able to say, "That was nothing special, but it was okay"

Of movies released so far this year that I've seen: Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Side Effects, Bullet To The Head and Olympus Has Fallen neatly fall into that category. None of them would make it on to a top 10 list, if they do (as Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol did two years ago) then it's a weak year for movies. But for in-between time killer movies that don't insult one's intelligence they're not bad or at least they're an improvement over the inbetweens of 2009-2011.

So far, from my perspective, 2013 has given us two stand-outs (THe Place Beyond The Pines and Before Midnight). At this point, 2012 had given us the same number.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 am
Director

Sean wrote:
It also begs a serious question: if a year is back-loaded in terms of quality films, was it really a good year for cinema? Or did the final few months just happen to save it from being a terrible year?

I will say, however, that 2012 was a major improvement over 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. It was easily the century's second best year for movies, with 2007 being first.

I'd argue that in terms of number of overall quality releases, 2006 was the best year for movies with 2005 and 2007 tied at second.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm