Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Author Message
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
KWRoss wrote:
And guess what, ya'll? I went to school with Gary Neal at Towson University! I graduated in 2006. It's so awesome to see him shine on the brightest stage. And to do this after spending a few years in Europe honing his craft speaks volumes about how you don't always have to be a first-round pick to make things happen in this league.


Holy shit! I went to Towson for 2 years before transferring to UMD. I actually used to play ball with Gary Neal there in Burdick (which I've mentioned in this very thread ad nauseum). He was there literally every single day. When he transferred in from LaSalle he spent the spring semester virtually living in Burdick. I'd go play 3-4 times a week and he was always there before me and still there when I left. Without fail. I told people back then that he had the best jumper I'd ever seen in person, and that certainly hasn't changed. He's easily the best player I've actually ever played on a court with.


Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
And guess what, ya'll? I went to school with Gary Neal at Towson University! I graduated in 2006. It's so awesome to see him shine on the brightest stage. And to do this after spending a few years in Europe honing his craft speaks volumes about how you don't always have to be a first-round pick to make things happen in this league.


Holy shit! I went to Towson for 2 years before transferring to UMD. I actually used to play ball with Gary Neal there in Burdick (which I've mentioned in this very thread ad nauseum). He was there literally every single day. When he transferred in from LaSalle he spent the spring semester virtually living in Burdick. I'd go play 3-4 times a week and he was always there before me and still there when I left. Without fail. I told people back then that he had the best jumper I'd ever seen in person, and that certainly hasn't changed. He's easily the best player I've actually ever played on a court with.


That is fucking awesome. Perhaps we met and never knew it. I was there from Fall 2002-Spring 2006. I'm also a big-time Chicago Bears fan, so I'm beyond thrilled that our new Left Tackle is fellow Towson alum Jermon Bushrod.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Not to break up this Tigerfest and all, but i have some questions regarding these here NBA Finals...

...first of all, what the hell is happening? How is a team that once looked unbeatable suddenly unable to even compete for two games in a row? Has San Antonio broken their will? I will fully admit, and stand by, the fact that at their peak (the streak), I thought this could be a singularly great NBA team that might fo-fo-fo-fo on their route to the 'Ship. And I wasn't crazy at the time! They just didn't look beatable, or even (ahem) compete-able.

Did we underrate the Chicago series? Did that Game 1 wake up Indy (and the rest of the league) that they are maybe, just maybe, beatable in a series if you beat them up and don't give them everything on the break/in the paint? I'm still staggered that they struggled that much against Indy.

And Pop (and his big 3) are geniuses, of course. I knew it'd be a coaching overmatch, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Spo made his one great move (going way small in Game 4), and then acted like Pop wasn't going to adjust to it? My goodness. If you heard before the series that a player was going to be out there and playing as if they won a Fan's Dream To Play a Real Game in the Finals, wouldn't you bet your house on that player being one or the other of Boris Diaw's boobs? And yet it's Norris Cole last night! Getting abused by TP like Bron abused Green on that one post-up, only with TP actually being smaller than Cole, so...

Which leads to the most important question: when exactly did Danny Green become the best player of all time? He won't because douchy writers do the voting, but shouldn't he be the leading MVP candidate right now? Wow. And yeah, he benefits immensely from who he plays with, but, I dunno. It's just weird to live in a world where Danny Green might be swinging the course of basketball history.

Which is the seriously most important point: even if they still lose the series, the Spurs (and Indy, to be fair) have already knocked this 12-13 Miami team down a rung, historically. Which not very long ago seemed very very crazy.

I'm rushed because of work, but these are my thoughts. Cannot wait for Tuesday night. I have no idea what will happen... another Spurs blowout? Two games in a row of 35, 16, 12, 6, 6 from Bron? Nothing would surprise me at this point. I mean, very very recently we were all talking about how this is a pretty ho-hum season, overall... and here we are!


Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
It has been a ho-hum regular season, and the playoffs provided occasional, small moments of magic, but from the moment this Finals matchup was finalized, I knew we'd have ourselves a good one. If the Spurs win the series, LeBron is not only out of the Michael Jordan sweepstakes, but maybe the Kobe Chase as well. You do not fail THREE TIMES in the Finals and belong on the same level as those two.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
KWRoss wrote:
It has been a ho-hum regular season, and the playoffs provided occasional, small moments of magic, but from the moment this Finals matchup was finalized, I knew we'd have ourselves a good one. If the Spurs win the series, LeBron is not only out of the Michael Jordan sweepstakes, but maybe the Kobe Chase as well. You do not fail THREE TIMES in the Finals and belong on the same level as those two.


I don't know that that's quite fair with Kobe. Kobe "failed" twice in the Finals. If Bron wins a couple more rings (which is totally doable no matter what happens this year), he's right there. I'm not saying that's how it will go down, but I think we should try to let history judge Bron a little.

On the other hand, win or lose this series, I think Duncan has (at least for the moment) passed Kobe for player of the generation. What argument is there against this, other than famous-ness? TD was the best player on 4 Championship teams, Kobe two. Duncan has been way more consistent as a winner, of course -- he's beaten virtually everyone in that department -- and he's reinvented himself in old age as much as Kobe has. Love both of them... but TD has to be first, no?


Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 pm
Profile
Online
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 423
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
One thing that hasn't been brought up in the Bron greatness debate is the influence of the coach. Both MJ and Kobe won all their rings with arguably one of the greatest coaches in NBA history, if not "the" greatest. Hell, even TD had Popovich, who's also right up there with some of the greatest. In contrast, Bron has Erik Spoelstra. That should be a telling factor when you discuss greatness, right. (For my money, if Phil Jackson had been at the helm of this year's Lakers team, they wouldn't have played as badly. They're still not C'ship material, but I don't think they would've scraped through into the playoffs like they did.)

You can have a collection of great individuals, which is arguably what the Heat have right now, but if you don't have a coach who can marshal them and get the best out of each one of those players, then there's little that can be done. For a team like the Heat, when they're unchallenged, when everything is rosy and every one of their stars is on fire, they look unbeatable, a la the Heat during their epic run. But when push comes to shove and you're challenged, then you need a coach to guide you, which is what Popovich did in Game 5, after Heat's tactical switch in Game 4 (as Shade pointed out).

Heat could still win this, especially if the Big three decide to show up and take this series by the scruff of its neck. However, Popovich has the Spurs covered, and if Green can keep it going, and Manu and Tony play like they did yesterday, I can see the Spurs having a great chance to seal it tomorrow.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Can't wait for tonight. Just. Can't Wait.

Shade2 wrote:
Did we underrate the Chicago series? Did that Game 1 wake up Indy (and the rest of the league) that they are maybe, just maybe, beatable in a series if you beat them up and don't give them everything on the break/in the paint? I'm still staggered that they struggled that much against Indy.


It's surprising when you look at the Heat as the team they were during the streak, but not as surprising when you look at them now. Bron's still the same guy, but we all know Wade isn't, and Bosh had a bad matchup against Indy and has been very inconsistent in the Finals. The Indy series actually makes sense the more I think about it. The Pacers caught a breaking (or broken) down Wade and had the size to force Miami out of their small ball comfort zone. They didn't have enough offense and turned the ball over too much to win, but the fact that it was a very competitive series makes sense in hindsight.

Shade2 wrote:
Which leads to the most important question: when exactly did Danny Green become the best player of all time? He won't because douchy writers do the voting, but shouldn't he be the leading MVP candidate right now? Wow. And yeah, he benefits immensely from who he plays with, but, I dunno. It's just weird to live in a world where Danny Green might be swinging the course of basketball history.


There's no question he's been the MVP so far. Like you said, it helps that he's a spot up guy who Parker, Ginobili, and the rest can just feed when the defense collapses on them, but he's making shots at an ABSURD rate right now. It obviously isn't sustainable over the long haul, but it certainly is over this series. With Parker's injury and Ginobili's inconsistency, this series very well could already be over if Green doesn't play the way he has. If the Spurs win and he doesn't score zero combined points over the next 2 games, I don't see any way you don't vote for him. Even if he lays an egg tonight and they end up pulling it out, I still think he's the choice.

Really, Green stepping up in this series is something that should reignite the old best vs. valuable debate. Green's definitely not the Spurs' best player, but there's absolutely no doubt he's been their most valuable in this series.

Shade2 wrote:
Which is the seriously most important point: even if they still lose the series, the Spurs (and Indy, to be fair) have already knocked this 12-13 Miami team down a rung, historically. Which not very long ago seemed very very crazy.


Right. Even if Miami wins, they aren't going down as an all-time great team at this point. They're also one loss away from having to start hearing the question, "is Miami's Big 3 a failure?" Let's face it, they probably are at the end of their run with this version of the team. They'll keep it together for another year, but unless Wade gets on some good HGH and Bosh discovers his testicles, they probably aren't winning it all next year. Three trips to the Finals in three years with one championship is obviously very good, but not even close to living up to the expectations this team had. And it isn't like the East has been swimming with contenders the last 3 years. They had a fairly clear route to the Finals every year. They really, really need to win the next two games to salvage any shot at historic greatness.

Shade2 wrote:
On the other hand, win or lose this series, I think Duncan has (at least for the moment) passed Kobe for player of the generation. What argument is there against this, other than famous-ness? TD was the best player on 4 Championship teams, Kobe two. Duncan has been way more consistent as a winner, of course -- he's beaten virtually everyone in that department -- and he's reinvented himself in old age as much as Kobe has. Love both of them... but TD has to be first, no?


Lebron was out of the MJ sweepstakes the minute he uttered the words, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach," in my estimation. That's just so against everything Jordan was that there was no way he was catching him after that.

As for Kobe, there's still an outside chance Bron catches him, but it's certainly unlikely if they lose this series. 4 trips to the Finals in 10 years is very impressive, but if he only comes away with one title, it's tough to see him winning a handful of rings over the next 5 or so years. It can be done, but he'll likely have to go elsewhere and team up with better players. Plus, how many guys, after being in the league 10+ years, start winning handfuls of rings? I don't know the answer, but it can't be very many, right? This is Bron's 10th year.

Should the Spurs win, Duncan is the player of his generation. He'd be tied with Kobe in rings, and have been the catalyst on 4 of those teams, and the second best guy one this one. Kobe played with another top TEN player of all time for 3 of his rings. As great as Parker and Manu are, they aren't even close to top ten guys.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
You can have a collection of great individuals, which is arguably what the Heat have right now, but if you don't have a coach who can marshal them and get the best out of each one of those players, then there's little that can be done. For a team like the Heat, when they're unchallenged, when everything is rosy and every one of their stars is on fire, they look unbeatable, a la the Heat during their epic run. But when push comes to shove and you're challenged, then you need a coach to guide you, which is what Popovich did in Game 5, after Heat's tactical switch in Game 4 (as Shade pointed out).


Both of these points are equally fantastic. Miami is definitely a front running team that will make you look like a JV high school team when they have it going. They just aren't very tough and, for whatever reason, don't rise to the challenge so much as squeak by on superior talent. They should be winning every series by sweeping or losing a game. They just don't. They have an on/off switch which a lot of amazingly talented teams have. Sometimes that's ok and they play extremely well in huge games, and sometimes that bites you in the ass and you lose to teams you shouldn't lose to. The former happened to Miami last year and so far this year, and the latter happened their first year against the Mavs. We'll find out tonight and possibly Thursday if Miami can keep doing just enough or if it ends up biting them.

As for Spo, I don't know how much you guys read Zach Lowe (you should read everything he writes, he's fantastic), but he's talked all season long about how inventive and creative Spo has been in getting Miami's offense to not just be Lebron and Wade going one on one. They're constantly moving and running really nuanced stuff. The thing that's weird, and what makes Balaji's point, is how conservative he's gotten in the playoffs. He's basically running the same 2-3 sets over and over again with nothing new. The freaking Heat going small, when they've gone small all season long, shouldn't be his trump card. That's just their normal lineup most nights! Good grief.


Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
Three trips to the Finals in three years with one championship is obviously very good, but not even close to living up to the expectations this team had. And it isn't like the East has been swimming with contenders the last 3 years. They had a fairly clear route to the Finals every year. They really, really need to win the next two games to salvage any shot at historic greatness.


Yep. Fantastic points.

PeachyPete wrote:
Lebron was out of the MJ sweepstakes the minute he uttered the words, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach," in my estimation. That's just so against everything Jordan was that there was no way he was catching him after that.


You're right. I'm not a Jordan guy, and yes, Jordan benefited greatly from his organizations choices, but there's no comparison once Bron bolted.

PeachyPete wrote:
Both of these points are equally fantastic. Miami is definitely a front running team that will make you look like a JV high school team when they have it going. They just aren't very tough and, for whatever reason, don't rise to the challenge so much as squeak by on superior talent. They should be winning every series by sweeping or losing a game. They just don't. They have an on/off switch which a lot of amazingly talented teams have. Sometimes that's ok and they play extremely well in huge games, and sometimes that bites you in the ass and you lose to teams you shouldn't lose to. The former happened to Miami last year and so far this year, and the latter happened their first year against the Mavs. We'll find out tonight and possibly Thursday if Miami can keep doing just enough or if it ends up biting them.


This is a great little piece: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/st ... -nba-title

He includes this nugget:

Quote:
pyrotechnics, individual heroics and an extra gear aren't enough to knock off the Spurs. That's always been the case, and if the Heat or anyone else needed a reminder, the past 10 days have provided further evidence.


It's a simplistic point, but an accurate and important one. Miami has a gear that Indy just couldn't match. Once they started attacking Hibbert it was all over. The Shaq-Kobe Lakers had multiple gears, but they understood how to bring top gear to Game 1's, to Game 3's when they're up 2-0, etc. Miami doesn't seem to be able to do that. The Spurs wear you down with their excellence, but as The Brilliant Zach Lowe has pointed out all series, Miami just hasn't made them reach for their peak all that often. Miami's defense hasn't been GREAT this series for any significant stretch.

I kinda think the crazy run in Game 2 was fool's gold for Miami. They though that proved that the Spurs were like everyone else and would just lay down a little once the Heat started swarming and soaring all over them. They thought they could reach for that level of dominance whenever they needed it. Now, more than ever, they need it, for two games straight.

It's obviously a game of inches at this point: Parker's hammy could pop, Manu could go down, Green could come back to earth. But they have the advantage and margin for error, of course -- foul trouble, an injury, stupid techs... any small thing could ruin it for Miami tonight.

Bron is still the best player in the world and it's still not close. And although he looked awfully tired the other night, I think it's possible he can pull this thing off.


Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 am
Profile
Online
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 423
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
More thoughts later. But riddle me this: why the hell was Duncan taken off on two crucial defensive possessions just before the end of the fourth quarter? Both of those led to crucial second-chance opportunities for the Heat in the form of 3s for James and Allen. I don't know about you, but if Duncan had been on the boards for both of them, Heat wouldn't have had those plays and Spurs could've won this in normal time. Crucial, crucial call according to me. Also, I don't know whether it was the Heat tightening up their D, but Green didn't even get a lot of looks today. He was practically anonymous, as was Manu who was expected to deliver after Sunday's showing.

But can we all agree that the fourth quarter was the only time this entire series that the Heat actually forced the Spurs to reach beyond their levels. It was the first time in the entire series they defended well as a team, both inside and outside. Duncan, who'd been good in the first half, was shut out in the second. Spoelstra said during the beginning of the 4th quarter that they need to defend as a team and have their best defensive quarter of the Finals, and his team delivered. Good on them!

As much as it pains me to say this, it is advantage Heat now. But I wouldn't write the Spurs out though.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
More thoughts later. But riddle me this: why the hell was Duncan taken off on two crucial defensive possessions just before the end of the fourth quarter? Both of those led to crucial second-chance opportunities for the Heat in the form of 3s for James and Allen. I don't know about you, but if Duncan had been on the boards for both of them, Heat wouldn't have had those plays and Spurs could've won this in normal time. Crucial, crucial call according to me.


Certainly a huge call that will rightfully get questioned a bit, but it's a fairly common thing and not really abnormal: since they needed a three for both of those possessions, Miami went super-small. Duncan would have been guarding a quicker guy, but more importantly, they would have definitely used Duncan's guy as a screener, forcing Duncan to either switch or not switch, either of which could leave a pretty open 3. So it's a tough call. It's a gamble that you'll get the rebound (which will generally be a long one), and it didn't pay off. Again, it's a valid point, but it's not a total indictment on Pop.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
But can we all agree that the fourth quarter was the only time this entire series that the Heat actually forced the Spurs to reach beyond their levels. It was the first time in the entire series they defended well as a team, both inside and outside. Duncan, who'd been good in the first half, was shut out in the second. Spoelstra said during the beginning of the 4th quarter that they need to defend as a team and have their best defensive quarter of the Finals, and his team delivered. Good on them!

As much as it pains me to say this, it is advantage Heat now. But I wouldn't write the Spurs out though.


Can't write them off at all. But it'll be tough. Duncan reached deep for that game, but more importanly perhaps, the Heat won a game when Wade didn't play well at all. That's surprising. I didn't expect Manu to reproduce a great game, but he was pretty bad tonight. Alas.


Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Shade2 wrote:

Can't write them off at all. But it'll be tough. Duncan reached deep for that game, but more importanly perhaps, the Heat won a game when Wade didn't play well at all. That's surprising. I didn't expect Manu to reproduce a great game, but he was pretty bad tonight. Alas.


I will. Rarely has a game made me so angry. I live in Maryland, and an entire bar in Bowie was cheering for the Spurs. This is Bill Simmons' classic example of the "Dead Man Walking" Level of Losing. The Spurs gagged away a game they surely should've won with missed free throws and that questionable lineup decision you guys mentioned. Recovering from something like this is virtually impossible. And the funny thing is, I saw it all coming from 10 miles away.

Congrats, NBA. You guys really are the masters of teasing. Every time a noteworthy upset threatens to happen (or a noteworthy trade: see the Boston-LA Clippers fallout for more info), somehow the carrot is yanked away and the status quo prevails. We can't upset the "All-Time Great" narrative we have going for LeBron, just like we did with Kobe, can we?

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
KWRoss wrote:
This is Bill Simmons' classic example of the "Dead Man Walking" Level of Losing. The Spurs gagged away a game they surely should've won with missed free throws and that questionable lineup decision you guys mentioned. Recovering from something like this is virtually impossible.


You're absolutely correct. And the temptation is to say that if any team could recover, it's these Spurs. Then you see quotes from Ginobli like "I have no clue how we’re going to be re-energized. I’m devastated." Hopefully he's playing possum a bit, but we shall see. A Heat blowout would be unfortunate to wrap up such an interesting series.


Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
I'm still kind of in shock this morning after last night. I can't believe the Spurs blew the game in that way. Missing free throws and not getting defensive rebounds are the kinds of mistakes bad college teams make to lose games. To do that in a close out NBA Finals game? It's just mind boggling.

The Heat deserve credit for taking advantage of those small gaps the Spurs left them, but you can't just keep giving an NBA team as good as the Heat that many chances. You have to close them out to win the title, not hope they just wilt.

I have zero faith in the Spurs to win Game 7 after how they lost Game 6. I just can't see any way they come back from that. I hope it's not a blowout and we get an entertaining, well played Game 7, but even if it's close, I see Miami pulling away in the 4th.

Ginobili was HORRIFIC last night. I didn't expect him to play like he did in Game 5, but he was just plain bad last night. That was surprising.

I find it really odd that so many people immediately call the NBA rigged as soon as something crazy happens. How in the world can the NBA control the Spurs missing free throws and not getting rebounds and the Heat hitting shots? It just makes no logical sense, on any level. It's obviously a way to rationalize why what they wanted to happen didn't actually happen, but it's annoying. The NBA is really the only sport you hear that nonsense about. Some of it is fair since they have had ref scandals, but it just goes entirely too far. The Spurs blew the game and Miami is really freaking good and took advantage of their mistakes. It's that simple.


Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 am
Profile
Online
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 423
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Totally agree with you guys on the numb feeling.

If the Heat had closed this game out after their initial fourth quarter comeback, I wouldn't have felt so cheated. Basically, when the Heat came back after Bron removed his headband, I was preparing myself for a decider and the knowledge that the Heat would be favorites.

But Spurs effectively shut the Heat out for the final few minutes, and combined with those two huge outstanding plays by Parker (that 3 especially was too good), I was pretty confident they would see the game out after making it a two-possession game. But the way they blew it after that in the final minute with those two second-chance 3s were pretty hard to take. I was like, "WHAT??!?!? THE!??!?! FUCK!!??!?!"

That is why I keep questioning the decision to sit down TD, even considering the valid reasoning provided by Shade. This is especially true on the Allen 3 where the Spurs couldn't match Bosh's size on the boards (not sure whether Diaw was playing at that time).

I agree though that it would take a miracle for the Spurs to win this one from now, more due to the sucker punch of losing the game in the fashion that they did, than anything else. We'll see. Like Pete, I hope it is a closely contested game.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
One more source of annoyance....

The Miami "fans" who left the game in the 4th when they thought it was over, then made a big ruckus after security refused to let them back into the arena. Really, if there was a microcosm as to why I hate the Heat so much, this is it. They're so glitzy and Hollywood-esque that they don't just encourage bandwagon fans, they demand them. Obviously, there are exceptions out there (like Dan LeBetard) who have loved the city and its sports for a long time, but they're a clear minority.

I know a guy at work who cheers for the Yankees (MLB), Cowboys (NFL), and whoever the "hot" team is in the NBA (it was the Lakers, now it's the Heat). He's from New York, so he gets a pass on that first team, but seriously, how bandwagon can you get? And he's far from the only one in my area with that mentality.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Now that we've all gotten the anger, frustration, and exasperation of Game 6 as much out of our system as possible, on to Game 7. Any predictions?

I honestly don't know. I can't see the Spurs winning, but I also don't think they'll just quit and get blown out. I expect a close game, and that should make for great entertainment for a Game 7. I doubt it'll be the sheer thrill ride Game 6 was, but hopefully both teams play well and no one makes any silly mistakes to blow it. I'll begrudgingly pick the Heat to win.

Also, a lot of being made of just how much better Miami has been with Lebron on the court surrounded by 3 shooters and Bosh, with no Wade. It's a staggering difference in terms of +/-, and when you see clips of how the Spurs are blatantly helping off of Wade and daring Miami to let him shoot, it becomes even more clear. He ruins their spacing and isn't anywhere near as explosive as he normally is. He's still an awesome defender, but does Spo need to have a short leash on him tonight? I think you kind of have to. He let Wade sit for a really long stretch of the 4th quarater the other night, and that's when Miami looked their best. If Wade plays over 35 minutes, I think that actually increases San Antonio's chances.


Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
Also, a lot of being made of just how much better Miami has been with Lebron on the court surrounded by 3 shooters and Bosh, with no Wade. It's a staggering difference in terms of +/-, and when you see clips of how the Spurs are blatantly helping off of Wade and daring Miami to let him shoot, it becomes even more clear. He ruins their spacing and isn't anywhere near as explosive as he normally is. He's still an awesome defender, but does Spo need to have a short leash on him tonight? I think you kind of have to. He let Wade sit for a really long stretch of the 4th quarater the other night, and that's when Miami looked their best. If Wade plays over 35 minutes, I think that actually increases San Antonio's chances.


Hence all the talk of whether the Heat should "amnesty" Wade after this is over. His situation isn't as bad as Ginobili's, who looks like he may just be done altogether, but I wonder whether the injury has fundamentally affected him and whether he can go back to normal next season.

The last time a road team won Game 7 in the Finals? Our very own Washington Bullets in 1978, who beat the Supersonics 105-99. That's before the David Stern Era of Rigged Draft Lotteries and Rigged Series. :twisted:

So yeah, I'm taking Miami as well.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 402
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Not sure if this is what you're saying, KW, but I don't in any way buy that this is a rigged series in any sense. I mean, isn't Lebron SO much more interesting when he's flawed? The whole season has been kinda dull BECAUSE of his greatness, of his unbeatable-ness. If they lose tonight, the Lebron story lines become so much more interesting.

SA's a proud bunch, and I'm hoping they can at least keep it close. I'm prepared for absolutely anything.


Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile
Online
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 423
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Before the discussions begin, I have this to say about the series. Welcome back to my life, basketball! I'd not been following the NBA for a long time, showing up just for the Playoffs and even then, without too much interest. (Mostly due to the rigors of waking up early every other day.) But this amazing Finals series, one of the greatest of all time for sure and the best I've personally seen, has rekindled my interest for good. It is even more awesome because everybody expected the Heat to run away with this title. Kudos to first Indy and then the Spurs for bringing them down a few notches.

I am going to be there from pre-season next year, following all the trades and moves, and hoping the Lakers can find some good players from somewhere to give Kobe one more ring.

That is just how good this Finals has been. No on deserved to lose that. It is just sad that in sport there's always a loser and a winner.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Before the discussions begin, I have this to say about the series. Welcome back to my life, basketball! I'd not been following the NBA for a long time, showing up just for the Playoffs and even then, without too much interest. (Mostly due to the rigors of waking up early every other day.) But this amazing Finals series, one of the greatest of all time for sure and the best I've personally seen, has rekindled my interest for good. It is even more awesome because everybody expected the Heat to run away with this title. Kudos to first Indy and then the Spurs for bringing them down a few notches.


A great Finals in every regard. Last night was a little sloppy, as many Game 7s are, but it was high quality for the most part. It was certainly a hell of a lot better than the Lakers-Celtics Game 7 from a few years ago. I've been watching basketball religiously since about the age of 9 (I'm 31 now), and this is definitely the best Finals I can remember. If you watched these last 2 games and still aren't a fan of the game, there's just no hope for you.

Lebron James. I mean, good God, man. What more would anyone ever want from that guy at this point? He was an assassin last night. He took a few too many jumpers, but when he's hitting them like that it's not a big deal. And to hit them like that in a Game 7 to win a title? To go along with 12 boards and incredible defense on Parker and Ginobili all night? It was a masterpiece. To show up THAT huge in THAT spot is just incredible. In-freaking-credible. He's become everything we ever wanted him to be. Like Magic and Simmons said in the postgame last night, the only question now is how high will he climb?

On the flip side, I feel awful for Tim Duncan. Just awful. To miss that layup to tie the game was tough to watch. his postgame interview was equally hard to watch. He was understandably distraught. I feel like this is finally their last run, and to go out with Lebron playing like that isn't anything to hang your head about, but who knows what happens if he makes that bunny. It won't effect Duncan's legacy like, say, Patrick Ewing's when he did something similar many years ago, but it's something that's going to haunt him the rest of his life.

It's tough to analyze a Game 7. They're at times well played, at times sloppy, and usually intense all the way through. Last night was a lot better played than most, and that's a credit to just how freaking good both of these teams are. Obviously Battier hitting six threes was enormous, and the continued ineffectiveness of Tony Parker (due to injury and, of course, Lebron James) is what ultimately doomed the Spurs, but this game was really all about Lebron. 37 and 12 in Game 7 all while shutting down San Antonio's best 2 perimeter players while playing 45 out of a possible 48 minutes is the kind of two-way basketball that NO ONE plays. It was miraculous to behold. AND he closed the game out like a true superstar.

Wade was really big too. He wasn't as much of a spacing disaster as he had been throughtout the entire playoffs.

Kawhi Leonard is the kind of guy every team should want. Spectacular defender and rebounder, that is going to score 15-20 a game through a combination of skill and toughness. He's just fantastic.


Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 121  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr