Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:36 am

So it looks like Schwarzenegger is going to make T5 
Second Unit Director

Post So it looks like Schwarzenegger is going to make T5
What do you think of this?

For me, the franchise lives and dies with James Cameron.

Besides, I think even Skynet or the human resistance wouldn't resort to sending a 65/66-year old cyborg to stop John Connor or a rival Terminator. We shouldn't go from "I'll be back!" to "Oh, my back!".

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 am
Auteur

Post Re: So it looks like Schwarzenegger is going to make T5
I thought the sequels were pretty good overall so i'm optimistic about this.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 am
Producer

Perhaps they'll find a way to make Schwarzenegger's age an element of the story, like they did with Shatner's in Wrath of Khan. It seems like a weird thing to do for a role about a presumably ageless cyborg, but there's something disingenuous about an aging actor returning to a role he played in his youth without acknowledging the passage of time.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:49 am
Director

Not surprising. In some ways, this is the only franchise he has to fall back on. Considering that his previous attempt at a comeback (THe Last Stand, which I recently saw and found to be not that bad) failed at the box office, it isn't surprising he's headed for what for him is safe ground.

Cameron brought the depth and heart to the first two pictures in his direction. Once he split, the franchise devolved into a generic action franchise. Cameron's return might elevate them again. However, I doubt he will go back.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:00 pm
Assistant Director

I've always heard about ideas to turn him into a scientist or military guy involved in the process of designing the Terminators. He even did a cameo/deleted scene during T3 with that in mind. I think some approach like that would be cool, as long as its well written. But he's too old to play the same cyborg now. If that's the road they plan to go, I'm not sure how they can write the age into that.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Not surprising. In some ways, this is the only franchise he has to fall back on. Considering that his previous attempt at a comeback (THe Last Stand, which I recently saw and found to be not that bad) failed at the box office, it isn't surprising he's headed for what for him is safe ground.

Cameron brought the depth and heart to the first two pictures in his direction. Once he split, the franchise devolved into a generic action franchise. Cameron's return might elevate them again. However, I doubt he will go back.

You're forgetting that Schwarzenegger also wants to do another Conan film. Didn't we just have a remake like a year or so ago? Anyways, I don't know how Arnold will pull this off considering his age and that he's way out of shape.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:49 am
Yep, Arnie is age 65 now. That is way too old to play either a T-800 (or T-850 or T-101) or Conan as he was back in the day. The age needs to be worked into the story convincingly somehow - in both cases.

Now why would anyone build a Terminator which looks old? The only thing which comes to mind is that it is the first failed experiment: the living tissue (over a metal endoskeleton) unexpectedly started aging during the development phase and the story is about this "pre production run" cyborg. He still can be badass as long as the metal alloy and the electronics are functioning. Just the first idea which comes to mind...

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am
Assistant Director

[quote="Threeperf35"]Yep, Arnie is age 65 now. That is way too old to play either a T-800 (or T-850 or T-101) or Conan as he was back in the day. The age needs to be worked into the story convincingly somehow - in both cases.
I had read that the premise they had for the Conan story was to have him as an aging king, with another younger guy as lead or co-lead.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Yep, Arnie is age 65 now. That is way too old to play either a T-800 (or T-850 or T-101) or Conan as he was back in the day. The age needs to be worked into the story convincingly somehow - in both cases.

I had read that the premise they had for the Conan story was to have him as an aging king, with another younger guy as lead or co-lead.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Thief12 wrote:

Now that's an original idea - a young sidekick! Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Die Hard 4 and 5 anyone? Give the screenwriter a raise. Pure Genius! I mean, we all went to see "Indy 4" because of Shia LaBeouf -and Die Hard 5 because of Jai Courtney, right?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:20 pm
Auteur

Threeperf35 wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Now that's an original idea - a young sidekick! Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Die Hard 4 and 5 anyone? Give the screenwriter a raise. Pure Genius! I mean, we all went to see "Indy 4" because of Shia LaBeouf -and Die Hard 5 because of Jai Courtney, right?

Yeah I liked Die Hard 5, but I certainly didn't see it for Courtney, while I thought Justin Long made a decent sidekick in the fourth film, JC REALLY needed to take some acting lessons.

I hope we don't get another Conan film.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 pm
Producer

There's nothing inherently wrong with legacy characters. Superhero comics do it all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it can work swimmingly if it's appropriately goal-driven and handled by a good storyteller.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 pm
Assistant Director

Here's one of many links about it...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35606

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Well, they can always de-age AH-NULD a la' Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy. :) I know i should be thinking, "oh geez, ANOTHER unnecessary Terminator Movie. I should skip this." But I just... can't... stay ... away. What can I say? I'm just a sucker for the Terminator flicks.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:14 pm
Director

release date set 6/26/15

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/param ... 200502818/

anyone watch the trailer for 'Escape Plan' starring Arnie & Stallone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmt89TXjYBI

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
release date set 6/26/15

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/param ... 200502818/

anyone watch the trailer for 'Escape Plan' starring Arnie & Stallone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmt89TXjYBI

Looks pretty awesome, but I wonder why the title was changed from "The Tomb".

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm
Cinematographer

I think the age could be made to work. Heck, my car looks old - I don't see why the terminator's skin couldn't lose elasticity like a human's. Or perhaps the age could act as a intentional sort of camouflage. The original Conan seemed pretty campy to me so almost anything can go in that sort of format. Most warrior kings get killed before they get old so he'd have to be a pretty crafty mean old dude.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm
Cinematographer

So this is going to be another sequel and not a reboot? There are whispers that this is going to be the latter, which means that Ah-nuld's return to the role isn't a guarantee.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm
Assistant Director

Here are some of the rumors that are circling around.

http://www.slashfilm.com/terminator-5-k ... e-26-2015/

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Terminator 5: The Sperminator.

In which Arnold Schwarzenegger sends his most famous screen character back to 2011 to kill Mildred Patricia Baena so he won't be stuck with child support payments, a wrecked marriage and a reputation as an arrogant womanizer :mrgreen:

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:04 am