Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Game of Thrones
Last episode carried on the story nicely I thought, and ended the season on a high note.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
- Seriously, if you're not feeling sorry for Theon after this episode, you are a cold bastard.

Colour me cold then, but that fucker sacked Winterfell, and murdered and burned children. IMO he's a loathsome character who's simply getting a taste of his own medicine.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
All in all, it was a fairly good way to set up the next season, as many viewers are really wanting to see Joffrey get his, not to mention Lords Frey and Bolton.

Can't wait! Only 9 odd months to go :(

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 pm
Director

Man, the "Red Wedding" itself didn't make me emotional (it was an excellent job of craftmanship though, especially for people who read the book; every scene at the Twins is a masterclass in building dread and tension step by step, it was almost unbearable leading up to it) just numb and shocked, and I've also seen some excellent youtube reactions to it, but then this quieter, less expressive one came along and made me cry in the end; it really felt like I relieved the pure emotions of the red wedding through the fresh eyes of people who experience it for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq9LeaJQQ5g

To cheer me up from that, I also found a hilarious, clever one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNxPj-AL2wo

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

This GOT Birthday rap battle is just... awesome- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EhByk4Icg#!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Seriously, if you're not feeling sorry for Theon after this episode, you are a cold bastard.

Was that an intentional reference to one of the finale's reveals? :)

One of the nice things about the TV series - for us readers, anyways - is that George R.R. Martin won't be able to afford to wait five years in between books this time around, or else the show will catch up with him!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:20 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Was that an intentional reference to one of the finale's reveals? :)

Good job, you're the first to notice. :)

Taleswapper wrote:
One of the nice things about the TV series - for us readers, anyways - is that George R.R. Martin won't be able to afford to wait five years in between books this time around, or else the show will catch up with him!

You'd think so, but I wouldn't hold my breath on book #6 (Winds of Winter)....

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Man, the "Red Wedding" itself didn't make me emotional (it was an excellent job of craftmanship though, especially for people who read the book; every scene at the Twins is a masterclass in building dread and tension step by step, it was almost unbearable leading up to it) just numb and shocked, and I've also seen some excellent youtube reactions to it, but then this quieter, less expressive one came along and made me cry in the end; it really felt like I relieved the pure emotions of the red wedding through the fresh eyes of people who experience it for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq9LeaJQQ5g

I'm not a fan of staged reaction vids, and many of the ones released on the day after the episode reek of this. I'm not saying that the one you posted here is such, but the fact that the girl was waving into the camera makes me suspect. The worst are the ones done by those who had seen the episode then jumped on the bandwagon of reaction vids after.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:

I'm not a fan of staged reaction vids, and many of the ones released on the day after the episode reek of this. I'm not saying that the one you posted here is such, but the fact that the girl was waving into the camera makes me suspect. The worst are the ones done by those who had seen the episode then jumped on the bandwagon of reaction vids after.

Youtube video description: "My mum and sister's reaction to the Red Wedding. Decided to FaceTime them while they watched it - little did they know that I was recording them." (And also the uploader's replies in the comments below)

She was waving to the camera to signal to her brother to guess that something bad might happened, as the balloon speech in the video when she's waving indicated. (And this video is one of the less flashier one I've seen. It's all in their faces. I like how when the song came and the doom is mounting, they both quietly put down their snacks)

It was the mother's reaction that got to me. No sound, no theatrics at all. Just a crumbled face full of emotions. I can't imagine how awful it must be to watch this with the full feeling of a parent, especially a mother.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Youtube video description: "My mum and sister's reaction to the Red Wedding. Decided to FaceTime them while they watched it - little did they know that I was recording them." (And also the uploader's replies in the comments below)

She was waving to the camera to signal to her brother to guess that something bad might happened, as the balloon speech in the video when she's waving indicated. (And this video is one of the less flashier one I've seen. It's all in their faces. I like how when the song came and the doom is mounting, they both quietly put down their snacks)

It was the mother's reaction that got to me. No sound, no theatrics at all. Just a crumbled face full of emotions. I can't imagine how awful it must be to watch this with the full feeling of a parent, especially a mother.

I agree, the mother's reaction definitely looked to be genuine. It almost looked like the sister was laughing at the end of the vid, however, after she glanced at her mother crying.

On the note of emotional reactions, you must have seen this one:

Karliene's reaction to The Rains of Castamere. (NOTE: she is a reader fan of the series, so she knew this was coming.) - the emotion really starts at the 2:15 mark of the vid.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
peng wrote:
I'm not a fan of staged reaction vids, and many of the ones released on the day after the episode reek of this.

Reek, Reek, rhymes with sneak

Sorry... couldn't resist. :)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
peng wrote:
I'm not a fan of staged reaction vids, and many of the ones released on the day after the episode reek of this.

Reek, Reek, rhymes with sneak

Sorry... couldn't resist. :)

You have to remember your name.

Seriously, I pity Theon.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Seriously, I pity Theon.

Seriously though, all he wanted was his family's love and approval
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and he ended up losing his junk.
Deserved? Possibly, but how could you not feel bad?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:42 am
Cinematographer

JJoshay wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Seriously, I pity Theon.

Seriously though, all he wanted was his family's love and approval
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and he ended up losing his junk.
Deserved? Possibly, but how could you not feel bad?

Agreed with this take. To me, and I have no familiarity with the books, Theon is kind of emblematic of the series as a whole. It operates in the gray (no pun intended) areas of humanity where simplistic terms like "good" and "bad" are meaningless.

This isn't anything particularly insightful, and I'm sure there are other, better examples, but Theon is the one who clicked for me. I can understand why he is the way he is, recognize he's done really awful things that can't just be excused, but also feel sympathy for him. It's a strong characterization of a three dimensional human being as opposed to a flat, two dimensional idea or feeling that poor writers resort to.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am
Director

And now one of the more important characters next season has been casted.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Seriously, I pity Theon.

Me too.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:43 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Seriously, I pity Theon.

Me too.

I think that pic would have worked better if there was a caption under Theon's picture saying something like "I wish it was my *hand* that was cut off.". Conversely, if you didn't want a caption, you could have taken a pic from the scene with Theon and Ramsay from the last episode of the 3rd season, the one with Theon just staring at him in horror.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Seriously, I pity Theon.

Me too.

I think that pic would have worked better if there was a caption under Theon's picture saying something like "I wish it was my *hand* that was cut off.". Conversely, if you didn't want a caption, you could have taken a pic from the scene with Theon and Ramsay from the last episode of the 3rd season, the one with Theon just staring at him in horror.

Heh... yeah, perhaps a caption could have improved that bit. I just like that expression on his face. He's like... "WTF. Seriously?"

I was just reading those last few pages of A Dance With Dragons and its family trees and "house trees" and such... WOW, it really gives me an appreciation for just how many characters and connections there are in this series!! With every book, it (naturally) keeps getting bigger and more complicated. I can only imagine how difficult it is for the non-reader viewer to keep track of it all...

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 pm
Director

ok, just finished A Dance with Dragons. First, FINALLY! The end of forever evading online spoiler when discussing or reading about the shows. Also, this and Book 4 are gonna be a headache to adapt, what with minimum plot movements and more on characters going in circles (some people said that these two books are likely going to make two seasons, but are there really enough material for that?). That said, it might allow for departure from the book, and the showrunners always seem to have a clear grasp when it comes to that.

Ranking the books (even though I read book 4 and 5 together, they are distinctive enough): SoS > GoT > CoK > DwD > FfC, with the scores respectively 10 > 9.5 > 8.5 > 8 > 7.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
ok, just finished A Dance with Dragons. First, FINALLY! The end of forever evading online spoiler when discussing or reading about the shows. Also, this and Book 4 are gonna be a headache to adapt, what with minimum plot movements and more on characters going in circles (some people said that these two books are likely going to make two seasons, but are there really enough material for that?). That said, it might allow for departure from the book, and the showrunners always seem to have a clear grasp when it comes to that.

Ranking the books (even though I read book 4 and 5 together, they are distinctive enough): SoS > GoT > CoK > DwD > FfC, with the scores respectively 10 > 9.5 > 8.5 > 8 > 7.

You can tell at this point that they've already started adapting elements from DwD into the show, particularly in the scenes with Theon and Ramsay.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:03 pm
Cinematographer

So I checked out a few issues of the Game of Thrones comic series that was released back in 2011 and I have to say: don't waste your money on it, ever. The artwork is competent, but it tends to make all of the characters too pretty, particularly Arya who while not exactly ugly was certainly not as pretty as her sister. I also hated how the art on the issue covers didn't match what was in the book itself (issue #9 is a great example)- it is a bait-and-switch tactic. Overall, the comic feels like a cheap attempt to jump onto the gravy train started by the TV show.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 pm
Director

Yeah I saw and leafed through those comics some months back. I was taken aback by Cat's curve, :lol: and she looked way too young. They really sex up the story than even the book and age (up and down) all the characters to make them as attractive as possible.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next