Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:50 am

Still Waiting for 2013 to Deliver 
Cinematographer

Post Still Waiting for 2013 to Deliver
The year has gotten better by the slightest of margins, but I still can't help but feel disappointed. Only four solid wide releases so far: Side Effects, Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast & Furious 6, and This is the End.

Thoughts?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm
Director

Post Re: Still Waiting for 2013 to Deliver
Yup, it's no coincidence that my five ***1/2 movies so far this year (Disconnect, Before Midnight, The Place Beyond the Pines, Mud, Spring Breakers) were initially "limited release" features before slowly expanding wider. I'll watch Side Effects as soon as it's available via Netflix.

But it's cool, guys. Remember how incredibly back-loaded 2012 was. Be patient.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm
Auteur

Well I for one think 2013 has delivered quite well so far, and there's still many titles left for me to look forward to. So far i've enjoyed Identity Thief, After Earth, Now You See Me, Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, Hangover 3, Fast 6, A Haunted House, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Good Day To Die Hard, The Last Stand, Bullet To The Head, Parker, Stand Up Guys, Snitch, Dead Man Down, Trance, Pain And Gain and Olympus Has Fallen.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Well I for one think 2013 has delivered quite well so far, and there's still many titles left for me to look forward to. So far i've enjoyed Identity Thief, After Earth, Now You See Me, Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, Hangover 3, Fast 6, A Haunted House, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Good Day To Die Hard, The Last Stand, Bullet To The Head, Parker, Stand Up Guys, Snitch, Dead Man Down, Trance, Pain And Gain and Olympus Has Fallen.

Looking at that list, I just have to know: what were your disappointments?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Looking at that list, I just have to know: what were your disappointments?

Can't really think of any films released this year that truly dissapointmented me, there were a few average ones like Broken City, but I can't really say that was a dissapointment since I had fairly neutral expectations for it.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:51 am
Producer

I haven't had any disappointments either, though I've only seen a few of the ones Vexer mentioned. The only thing that would disappoint me this year is if The World's End sucks, but I doubt it will. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
The only thing that would disappoint me this year is if The World's End sucks, but I doubt it will. I'm really looking forward to that one.

I wouldn't say it's the only thing that would disappoint me, but it would be hugely disappointing if that movie stunk. I agree though, I doubt it will.

There's been a lot of really good limited releases so far, but only a few wide releases that were even ok. Isn't that to be expected, though? Maybe the new Star Trek didn't blow people away, but how many movies did you expect to be really great so far? The first 3-4 months of the year studios usually release movies they think are crap and have little faith in. We know that by now. Sure, some turn out to be good (and occasionally great - The Grey), but why complain when most of the movies studios think stink, actually do stink?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:29 am
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
The only thing that would disappoint me this year is if The World's End sucks, but I doubt it will. I'm really looking forward to that one.

I wouldn't say it's the only thing that would disappoint me, but it would be hugely disappointing if that movie stunk. I agree though, I doubt it will.

There's been a lot of really good limited releases so far, but only a few wide releases that were even ok. Isn't that to be expected, though? Maybe the new Star Trek didn't blow people away, but how many movies did you expect to be really great so far? The first 3-4 months of the year studios usually release movies they think are crap and have little faith in. We know that by now. Sure, some turn out to be good (and occasionally great - The Grey), but why complain when most of the movies studios think stink, actually do stink?

My two most anticipated movies of the summer are Pacific Rim and Elysium. They both appear at least as action-oriented as most blockbusters, but the difference is the directors. Guillermo Del Toro and Neil Blomkamp know how to tell a compelling story.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
My two most anticipated movies of the summer are Pacific Rim and Elysium. They both appear at least as action-oriented as most blockbusters, but the difference is the directors. Guillermo Del Toro and Neil Blomkamp know how to tell a compelling story.

I'm with you on Elysium. It looks like Matt Damon vs. the 1%, but in a sci-fi, action setting. Cool concept.

I'll see Pacific Rim, but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be Transformers meets Godzilla, and those kinds of movies don't usually appeal to me. I also prefer Del Toro when he's working in a lower key, horror/fantasy setting. And preferably in Spanish. Still, I do like most of his Hollywood movies, if only for their style.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 pm
Cinematographer

I wouldn't say this has been a disappointing film year for me, but it's the first time my reaction to almost all of the spring and summer mainstream fare has been a resounding "Nah...", and I usually have no problems enjoying blockbuster entertainment. I'm pretty burned out on superhero movies, so I passed on Iron Man 3 (I will see Man Of Steel though). Star Trek Into Darkness is the only big film I've seen, which was fun enough while it lasted but not something that is going to stick with me. I'm mildly interested in Pacific Rim and Elysium, if only because they're original properties in a sea of sequels and retreads. I will be very disappointed if The World's End isn't good, but I have a feeling it's going to deliver.

With only a couple exceptions, the films I've enjoyed the most this year have been smaller releases, and I've watched many of them at home through on-demand services. Upstream Color, Antiviral, Like Someone In Love, To The Wonder, Sightseers, Room 237. All those either didn't play in any theater near me or only played in one theater a good distance away and only for a short time. I made the effort to see From Up On Poppy Hill and Stoker in the theaters, but they never made it outside of the art-house. Mud, The Place Beyond The Pines and Before Midnight have received wider distribution, but they're still not films that court wider audiences.

I guess if you measure a successful year based on how strong the biggest releases have been, then yeah, 2013 has been underwhelming so far. But there are still plenty of worthwhile films to be seen, as long as you don't mind taking a bit more time to seek them out.

Last edited by Blonde Almond on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Yes, 2013 has managed to deliver in terms of limited releases. Some notable examples include Before Midnight (the only four-star movie of the year so far), Frances Ha, Mud, Upstream Color, and Room 237.

This year has had a fairly solid theme so far: never put too much faith in Hollywood. In terms of quality blockbuster titles, we've been spoiled over the last few years. I'm thinking of the Harry Potter films, Iron Man, the Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Marvel's The Avengers, most of the Avengers tie-ins, and Star Trek. This year, we saw what a disappointing Iron Man movie looks like; the same goes for Superman. (Granted, I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, but the reviews have been mostly unenthusiastic so far.) Even with someone like Christopher Nolan involved, a movie can end up leaving much to be desired.

This will probably be the last year where I end up looking forward to any major comic-book movies; I've just gotten tired of the whole sub-genre, especially with the end of Nolan's Batman trilogy. I'll check out Man of Steel when I can, but I'm certainly not as hyped for it as I once was.

I often like to draw parallels between different years in film. So far, 2013 has mostly managed to bring back memories of 2010, which might have been the worst year for movies ever. This year's batch of solid summer movies also reminds me of other blockbusters from previous years. Star Trek Into Darkness is this year's Avengers lite. Fast & Furious 6 is this year's...Fast Five (or Piranha 3D if you regard it as a guilty pleasure, as I did). This is the End is this year's Ted.

Does that make sense?
Vexer wrote:

Your optimism is admirable.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 pm
Cinematographer

My most-anticipated summer releases at this point are easily Pacific Rim (only because of del Toro), The World's End, and Elysium. In all honesty, however, I'm not really looking forward to any new tentpole feature this year other than The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

My expectations for The Hobbit are much smaller at this point.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:25 pm
Cinematographer

Speaking of Upstream Color I noticed the other day that it's already on Netflix Instant. It kind of blew my mind. I don't know how that's even possible.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:49 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Speaking of Upstream Color I noticed the other day that it's already on Netflix Instant. It kind of blew my mind. I don't know how that's even possible.

I just bought it. I can't say for sure, but I think they did the theatrical and DVD releases at the same time. Either that, or only a month (tops) passed before it was released.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 pm
Director

I strongly suspect 2013 will go down like 2012 did: fairly backloaded. Of the ones I've seen so far this year, there haven't been an inoridnate number of bombs. But the only one I liked enough to consider buying on DVD is The Place Beyond The Pines.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 pm
Producer

I disagree that 2012 was heavily back loaded. I mean, September through December had a lot of great movies, but there were great movies in the summer and even the first few months. Heck, one of my favorite films of last year was The Grey and that came out in January. Nothing in January is remotely top 10 worthy. Heck, my favorite film of this year so far, Side Effects, will only be in my year end top 10 if it continues to be a really crappy for great movies.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm
Cinematographer

It also begs a serious question: if a year is back-loaded in terms of quality films, was it really a good year for cinema? Or did the final few months just happen to save it from being a terrible year?

I will say, however, that 2012 was a major improvement over 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. It was easily the century's second best year for movies, with 2007 being first.

A lot of this year's Oscar contenders seem like typical Oscar movies: historical dramas and biopics. Nothing really worthy of debate. Then again, perhaps I'm speaking too soon. We'll see.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm
Producer

Sean wrote:
It also begs a serious question: if a year is back-loaded in terms of quality films, was it really a good year for cinema? Or did the final few months just happen to save it from being a terrible year?

I suppose it depends on density. Imagine if the movies in those loaded months were evenly distributed throughout the year. Are there enough of them that it still looks like a good year?

---

As for Room 237, I'd beg to differ. It wasn't delivery. It was DiGiornio.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm
Director

Quote:
Speaking of Upstream Color I noticed the other day that it's already on Netflix Instant. It kind of blew my mind.

Still blows my mind that a Terence Malick film premiered on VOD. the times are a changin'

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:03 pm
Director

Just looking around the forums, I guess I'm the only one who isn't rapturously in love with BEFORE MIDNIGHT. ***1/2, which I gave it, indicates a strong recommendation, but damn it, that "fight" scene in the hotel room went on too long for me. It's the only flaw in a movie that I'd otherwise tell people to go see. It's certainly better than ALL of the wide-release movies in 2013 thus far.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 pm