Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:48 am

Random questions about the film industry 
Assistant Director

Post Random questions about the film industry
Here's where you ask all the great questions about Hollywood. These can be rhetorical.

-Can Paul Verhoeven make a movie with anything less than an R rating?

-Can Len Wiseman be good at anything other than nailing Kate Beckinsale on a daily basis?

-Will Wes Anderson ever realize that he's a self-important douche whose salary comes from people who only see his movies because they think it's cool to like them?

-Will they PLEASE make a sequel to Brotherhood of the Wolf?

-Will they ever make an animated movie with an R rating?

-Can they give Hayao Miyazaki a serum to make him immortal so he can make more masterpieces?

-Will Katherine Heigl please crawl into a hole and never come out?

-Will they please make film versions of The Shadow of the Wind and Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge?

-Can we have an end to superheroes?

-Can we get an original movie that's not cross-marketed and hopelessly tied to other movies via Easter eggs and in-jokes?

-Can we PLEASE have an end to camera shaking and leaf-shredder editing?

-Will Neil Marshall please make another horror movie?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Random questions about the film industry
-Yes.

-No.

-No.

-No.

-Yes.

-Yes.

-No.

-No.

-No.

-No.

-No.

-No.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 pm
Auteur

There are some animated films with R ratings like Haunted World Of El Superbeasto and Heavy Metal 2000.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 pm
Producer

Quote:
Can we have an end to superheroes?

-Can we get an original movie that's not cross-marketed and hopelessly tied to other movies via Easter eggs and in-jokes?

Yes please.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm
Producer

I have one:

Will the money ever run out on the blockbuster industry?

Or, more broadly:

To what extent will current Hollywood trends actually change over the course of our lives?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm with you on Brotherhood of the Wolf. Although, I think I would rather have a prequel to see how they met, and see there earlier adventures together.

There are plenty of animated movies with R ratings: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Street Fighter, South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut. I'm ok with new superhero movies...I really want to see a good Flash movie...(and a good Green Lantern still).

Neil definitely has a flair for making me feel dread in his movies.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
There are some animated films with R ratings like Haunted World Of El Superbeasto and Heavy Metal 2000.

Ralph Bakshi made several: Coonskin, Hey Goodlooking and American Pop/ (not counting Fritz the Cat, which is listed as being unrated but is really an X).

Perfect Blue and Paprika are also R rated, and Perfect Blue really earns it.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:46 pm
Auteur

I don't really get the hatred for Katherine Heigl, I think most of her films are just OK, I do however wish Robert Pattinson would crawl under a rock, as he cannot act worth a damn period.

I don't mind superhero films for the most part, they make a ton of money, so they're here to stay for a very long time.

I'm not a fan of shaky-cam, though thankfully it seems to be dying down somewhat.

I think Wiseman is actually a pretty good director.

I don't know why you'd want Verhoeven to make a PG-13 film, that just wouldn't fit his stle at all.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't really get the hatred for Katherine Heigl, I think most of her films are just OK, I do however wish Robert Pattinson would crawl under a rock, as he cannot act worth a damn period.

I don't mind superhero films for the most part, they make a ton of money, so they're here to stay for a very long time.

I'm not a fan of shaky-cam, though thankfully it seems to be dying down somewhat.

I don't know why you'd want Verhoeven to make a PG-13 film, that just wouldn't fit his stle at all.

I'm not saying I want Verhoeven to make one. I'm just curious if he could without going insane. Lol

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I'm not saying I want Verhoeven to make one. I'm just curious if he could without going insane. Lol
That would be like Michael Bay doing a romantic comedy :lol:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 pm
Cinematographer

Another solid R-rated animated movie? Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. Although the TV series is much better.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 pm
Assistant Director

-Can we get another slasher movie that's not a remake?

-Can we please have a movie with Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett?

-Can we have another movie with Christian Coulson (he played Tom Riddle in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and walked away with the entire movie)

-Can Ben Younger make another movie?

-Can Quentin Tarantino cast Cate Blanchett in a movie (that would be SO GROOVY!)

-Can Daniel Day Lewis do a romantic comedy?

-Can we have a movie where the soundtrack isn't filled with anemic songs by indistinguishable pop stars?

-Will Tim Roth please direct another movie?

-Can the MPAA just disband and make parents actually do the work in deciding what they want their kids to see instead of outsourcing it to someone else?

-Can we get a satire of suburbia that isn't all about the adults cheating on each other and the kids getting into drugs? Here are some ideas:
---The mom is a soccer mom who is so self-absorbed that she does everything "for her kids" except paying attention to it?
---Said mom is so self-absorbed that she doesn't realize that her husband is a serial killer
---The whole town revolves around a game of one-upmanship over who's going to a better college?
---The kid is so screwed up by his mom's obsessiveness and his dad's extracurricular activities that he becomes an emo hipster?

-When will the careers of Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson finally end?

-Can we get a big budget movie that isn't hopelessly diluted to appeal to foreign audiences?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
-Can we get another slasher movie that's not a remake?

-Can we please have a movie with Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett?

-Can we have another movie with Christian Coulson (he played Tom Riddle in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and walked away with the entire movie)

-Can Ben Younger make another movie?

-Can Quentin Tarantino cast Cate Blanchett in a movie (that would be SO GROOVY!)

-Can Daniel Day Lewis do a romantic comedy?

-Can we have a movie where the soundtrack isn't filled with anemic songs by indistinguishable pop stars?

-Will Tim Roth please direct another movie?

-Can the MPAA just disband and make parents actually do the work in deciding what they want their kids to see instead of outsourcing it to someone else?

-Can we get a satire of suburbia that isn't all about the adults cheating on each other and the kids getting into drugs? Here are some ideas:
---The mom is a soccer mom who is so self-absorbed that she does everything "for her kids" except paying attention to it?
---Said mom is so self-absorbed that she doesn't realize that her husband is a serial killer
---The whole town revolves around a game of one-upmanship over who's going to a better college?
---The kid is so screwed up by his mom's obsessiveness and his dad's extracurricular activities that he becomes an emo hipster?

-When will the careers of Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson finally end?

-Can we get a big budget movie that isn't hopelessly diluted to appeal to foreign audiences?

There is "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane" which is fianlly getting a U.S. release this year.

I like pop music so I don't really have a problem with those types of soundtracks. Although a lot of orchestral music sort of runs together for me, if I had my eyes closed I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between James Horner and Hans Zimmer.

Lautner I don't mind, I liked him in Abduction, Pattinson I can't stand.

For the suburbia satire, didn't The Joneses pretty much cover that ground?

I don't mind big-budget films trying to appeal to foreign audiences as long as they appeal to me as well.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm
Producer

moviemkr7 wrote:

There are plenty of smaller, independent organizations, that aren't run by the movie industry, that would surely be happy to have the additional business.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:42 pm
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:

-Will Neil Marshall please make another horror movie?

I'm completely with you on these ones.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 pm