Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:03 am

Kitchen Nightmares 
Cinematographer

Post Kitchen Nightmares
I don't usually watch this show or reality TV in general, but the season finale that aired in May caught my attention mainly because of the level of insanity involved with the owners. Seriously, these guys are fucking crazy, especially Amy.

Kitchen Nightmares - Amy's Baking Company

Seriously, how do people like this avoid being committed to an asylum? Apparently, this episode brought a ton of negative publicity on the owners, particularly after they went berserk on critics in their Facebook and Twitter pages. Amazingly, they are also apparently still open. Wow.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 am
Producer

Post Re: Kitchen Nightmares
I have a soft spot for Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible--the whole idea that you can rescue a failing restaurant in a few days with the right combination of savvy changes... not to mention the whole idea that you can rescue a failing TV genre by adding cooking to it.

I've been recommending the "Amy's Baking Company" episode to basically anyone who will listen to me. One of the finest televised examples of human irrationality ever committed to the medium.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:58 am
Auteur

I suppose it was only a matter of time before Ramsay encountered someone who was completely and utterly hopeless(even moreso then Sebastian in the first season), Amy and Samy are the worst kind of crazy.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:34 am
Director

Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out why I found previous owners who were so arrogant/deluded/incompetent/clueless such as Sebastian (as well as David from Black Pearl in season 2 and Joe from Mill Street Bistro earlier this season) so entertaining to watch, yet found Amy & Samy so painful to watch. Perhaps because those guys kept paying Ramsay lip service throughout the whole process despite never being fully on board with any of his advice/changes (and then immediately reverting to their old ways the moment he was out the door) whereas Amy & Samy didn't? :|

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out why I found previous owners who were so arrogant/deluded/incompetent/clueless such as Sebastian (as well as David from Black Pearl in season 2 and Joe from Mill Street Bistro earlier this season) so entertaining to watch, yet found Amy & Samy so painful to watch. Perhaps because those guys kept paying Ramsay lip service throughout the whole process despite never being fully on board with any of his advice/changes (and then immediately reverting to their old ways the moment he was out the door) whereas Amy & Samy didn't? :|

There's also the fact that Amy and Samy were stealing tips from they're waiters(which is very much illegal), there's also the rumors that the restaurant is actually a front for laundering money.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 pm
Producer

Though the show only delves into it a little, these two pretty obviously have problems that go beyond the scope of the show--beyond Ramsay's talents, beyond what he's there to do. They're well past stubbornness, delusion, and incompetence.

While his personal skills are an essential part of it, he's ultimately there to give his counsel on how to run a restaurant. He's not there to fix people who are this deeply troubled.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:11 pm
Assistant Director

Aren't most (if not all) of these "reality" shows in fact largely (sometimes entirely) scripted/staged? From gleaned 2nd-hand tidbits and media leaks that's what I gather.
It makes sense: you don't leave prime-time television to "chance".

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Aren't most (if not all) of these "reality" shows in fact largely (sometimes entirely) scripted/staged? From gleaned 2nd-hand tidbits and media leaks that's what I gather.

One of the waittresses who was fired from that restaurant did an AMA on Reddit, and from what she said, Amy and Samy's personas were NOT exaggerated in the least, they're every bit as crazy as they looked on that episode. I know most reality shows are staged, but Ramsay's shows are a different breed, when you see a filthy kitchen on that show or someone acting like an asshole, it's not staged as many employees will testify.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:26 pm
Producer

Some reality shows are staged to a degree, but I'd bet that it's overstated, mainly because it's unnecessary. Create a dramatic situation (e.g. send a renowned restauranteur to the rescue of an ailing restaurant), shoot enough footage, and you'll have enough unscripted footage to provide the necessary assortment of dramatic twists and turns. From there, it's just a matter of picking and choosing which stuff best fits into your preexisting framework.

The fakery is not in the staging, but in carefully editing down hours upon hours of footage so that you get the same narrative structure as scripted drama.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:52 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:

You don't stage this level of crazy.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:15 pm