Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 pm

The Purge (2013) 
Auteur

Post The Purge (2013)
Thought i'd start a thread for this since it dosen't look like JB is reviewing it, anyways I think it looks pretty cool, the premise is certainly a unique and thought-provoking one, i'm definitely going to be seeing this on the weekend.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Purge (2013)
It has an amazingly dumb premise.

No idea if the movie itself will be any good.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:00 am
Director

I'm like you at first Vexer, after watching the trailer I want to see it because the premise, on surface, sounds really unique and appropriate for a horror movie. But then, given a thought, it just falls apart with a big big WHY, at least if the film wants to be a straightforward "serious" horror and not those with jokey tone: why one day of freedom to commit crime however you want will stop people from doing crime for the rest of year? Really, the more I think about it the more it grows baffling. There is a possibility that it will sound ok within the movie's own world when you watch it, but going on the trailer alone it's seriously lacking in logic.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 am
Producer

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people would take advantage of one law-free day in some way or another. Societies suddenly free of law do tend to flounder for a while before natural order sets in, and there are people out there whose sense of morality is largely determined by their fear of reprisal. I'm not saying most people... but some people.

That isn't to say that I'm predicting a smart movie that takes advantage of this premise, because it probably won't. But a good movie could be made from such a premise.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:31 am
Second Unit Director

I think the premise has the potential to be interesting and thought-provoking, but from the marketing it seems like it's only setup material for a generic home invasion thriller. One question: why are the villains wearing masks when they won't face legal repercussions for their actions? That alone suggests a lack of thought with regard to the premise.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am
Cinematographer

From most indications (the reviews I've read) this is a movie that serves as part political allegory, so those of you saying it's likely going to be a generic home invasion movie might very well be underestimating the film. Now, that doesn't mean it's any good, just that it has more of an agenda than it's being given credit for.

Gwaihir wrote:
One question: why are the villains wearing masks when they won't face legal repercussions for their actions? That alone suggests a lack of thought with regard to the premise.

Imagine you decide to rob, assault, or commit any crime against your boss aside from killing him/her. Sure, it's legal, but do you want to go back to work with your boss knowing it was you who did these things to him/her? Of course some people would try to conceal their identity in this sort of scenario.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 am
Director

When I first heard the basic premise (One day a year where you can kill people with no reprecussions) I was reminded of something George Carlin suggested in one of his routines and his book Brain Droppings: Legal Murder once a month.

Quote:
You can talk about capital punishment all you want, but I don’t think you can leave everything up to the government. Citizens should be willing to take personal responsibility. Every now and then, you’ve got to do the right thing, and go out and kill someone on your own. I believe the killing of human beings is a function of government that needs to be privatized.

I say this because I believe most people know at least once other person they wish were dead. One other person whose death would make their life a little easier. A sexual rival; and abuser; a tormentor at school; a parent who’s been draining the family nest egg by lingering too long on life support. Don’t run from it.

So, I offer a plan: Legal Murder Once a Month

Under this plan, every thirty days each person in America will be allowed to kill one other person without incurring any punishment. One murder, per person, per month. But you can’t just kill anybody. It’s not random. Each month there will be a different type of person it’s ok to kill. For instance, one month it would be all right to kill a business associate. That month, kill anybody at work – no punishment. But you must have a good reason; none of this weak shit, “I caught him fucking my wife.” It has to be a good reason. Like “The guy is just a real asshole!” Kill-a-neighbor-day, a perfect way to settle an old score, and upgrade the neighborhood. And just to provide a little flexibility, a neighbor will be considered anyone who lives in your zip code.

You know, now that I think of it, it would probably make sense to have Wild-Card-Day. One day a year when everyone can go out and kill whomever the fuck they want. Many of us have long lists of specific, worthy targets who don’t fall into any of the established categories. Retail clerks, landlords, teachers, salesmen, telephone solicitors; the snotty blond bitch on the “Six o Clock News”? The guy who keeps braying “Thank God, no one was hurt”, every time someone so much as backs into a lamppost.

Now, let me quickly point out that my Legal Murder Once a Month plan has 3 strict rules: First, it isn’t cumulative, you can’t save up all your murders for a year and then go waltzing into McDonalds and spoil everyone’s Egg McMuffin. You get one murder a month, use it or lose it.

Rule #2: You can’t hire someone to do the murder for you. You have to do it yourself. And if you’re squeamish, take my word for it, you’ll get over that. There’s nothing to it. I, myself, have killed six people. All random, undetected, no traces back to me. And let me tell you, there’s nothing like it. It’s a great feelings. Yeah I know, you’re thinking “Aw, he’s a comedian. He’s just saying that stuff.” Good, that’s exactly what I wan’t you to think.

Rule #3: You can’t kill your own offspring, it’s just off limits. OK? If they’re really that bad, they’ll piss someone else off, and that person will handle it for you.

For all you civic-minded dipshits, there’s nothing in the constitution to prevent any of this. The state doesn’t oppose murder, just people who go into business for themselves. Life is cheap, never forget it. Corporations make market decisions by weighing the cost of being sued for your death against the cost of making the product safer. Your life is a factor in cost effectiveness. Besides, my society taught me that murder is part of life. My species is really good at it. I belong to the only species in the history of the world that systematically tortures and murders it’s own members for pleasure, profit, and convenience.

See how easily we figured all that out.

From what I've read about the movie however, it seems similar in some regards to The Running Man. In this case the novel.

Those who have read the novel will recall that the lead character in it isn't a Schwarzenneger style tough guy. But a poor working (or at the time unemployed) man who goes on the game show to get money for medicine for his sick daughter. In the book, The Running Man isn't a place for condemned criminals. It's hwere tehy send teh poor and other "undesirables".

Most likely I won't see it at least until it comes to DVD. I've got a few movies I plan to see this month. This isn't one of them.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 pm