Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Unsure: liked or disliked 
Second Unit Director

Post Unsure: liked or disliked
Have any of you seen a movie that, when it ended, you just said “Huh?” and you weren’t sure if you liked it or not? I’m not talking about a vague or mysterious ending that left you perplexed, but an entire movie that you were so befuddled, stammering, that you couldn’t even decide if you liked it or not.

What was it about the movie that left you stymied?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Unsure: liked or disliked
John Dies At The End

Just saw this last night. Mostly because their are so many clashing elements. The set up/intro parts are brilliant. But dictionaries should include the ending as an example of "anti-climactic".
-Jeremy

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Mulholland Drive

The last 40 or so minutes of this movie are so bizarre that by the end, I wasn't sure what to make of it. What started out as an intriguing mystery thriller ultimately turned into disconnected, nightmarish scenes. I was torn between praising the movie for being smart, cryptic, and ballsy, and berating it for deliberately making no sense whatsoever. A lot of critics orgasmed all over this movie when it came out in 2001, but I prefer at least a little logic to go along with my puzzles.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:34 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Mulholland Drive

The last 40 or so minutes of this movie are so bizarre that by the end, I wasn't sure what to make of it. What started out as an intriguing mystery thriller ultimately turned into disconnected, nightmarish scenes. I was torn between praising the movie for being smart, cryptic, and ballsy, and berating it for deliberately making no sense whatsoever. A lot of critics orgasmed all over this movie when it came out in 2001, but I prefer at least a little logic to go along with my puzzles.

I had pretty much the same reaction when I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, especially the ending, that just confused the hell out of me.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:58 pm
Second Unit Director

For me, I’d have to say it was Brazil. Visuals were fantastic. Gilliam and Tim Burton must be cut from similar cloth. I enjoyed the characters and followed the flow and plot through fairly well, but at some point I must have looked away for a brief moment and experienced a disconnect and by the time it was complete I didn’t know what I had seen, I just knew it left an impression.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:15 pm
Producer

Surveillance

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 pm
Producer

So many times that it's probably not worth mentioning specific examples. There are a lot of them in my top 10 list, though.

It could be that the emotions evoked by a movie are complex, and that the movie is doing its job by leaving you with a reaction that doesn't fall into the binary model of "liked it" vs. "didn't like it".

That isn't to say that a movie that you unambiguously liked is somehow failing in its duty, but who wants to bet that there's a correlation between simpler movies and simpler emotional responses?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm
Critic

Upstream Color. But then, I'm not sure the word "liked" even applies to such a film. Good question.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
Mulholland Drive

I loved Mulholland Drive. After it was over, I felt I would have to watch it again, because I didn't understand everything in it. But I was convinced I had seen an excellent, important film.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Closer.

I dunno, the whole movie just made me... uncomfortable. But for days after I left the movie theater, I kept thinking about it. I suppose that is ultimately one of the main determinants on whether I "liked" a movie or not: Did it stick with me?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 pm
Critic

Taleswapper wrote:
Closer.

I dunno, the whole movie just made me... uncomfortable. But for days after I left the movie theater, I kept thinking about it. I suppose that is ultimately one of the main determinants on whether I "liked" a movie or not: Did it stick with me?

You know what? You are so right.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm
Assistant Director

Hollow Man

God knows why I keep watching this movie. It's okay but there are some scenes that really made me uncomfortable, and aspects that could use some improvement (atmosphere, Kim Dickens). I guess I just see it as a movie that Hollywood used to make: big budget R-rated extravaganzas that aren't completely CGI (like "Sherlock Holmes")

There are many others too, which I'll list later

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The Master

Not sure what to make of it. Part of me wants to say "another soild one from Paul T Anderson". Then I think of Boogie Nights and Magnolia and remember that Anderson's best work is above solid. THe Master is not badly made by nay stretch of teh imagination. But I wonder if it's a film that you admire more than like.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 am
Just a few examples of movies where the ending (or last minutes) threw me off and changed a lot if not everything that came before, so I was unsure if I liked the movie (or sure that I didn't):

Platoon (that voice over in the end....)
Jacob's Ladder
The Game
Reservoir Dogs
Jagged Edge
Fatal Attraction

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am
Second Unit Director

2001: A Space Odyssey. I still have no idea what that last sequence was about, or why it had to be that long, or what the filmmakers were trying to say. I'm not sure if I liked or disliked the movie because I liked half of it (the ape sequence and the HAL sequence) but disliked the other half (the interminable docking sequence followed by who-cares dialogue (which needs to be explained in the next sequence anyway), and the aforementioned interminable shout-out to the druggies in the audience). This may be more ambivalence than what Awf Hand is talking about, but I definitely did say "Huh?" after it ended.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:
Hollow Man

God knows why I keep watching this movie.

Elizabeth Shue? :mrgreen:

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm
Cinematographer

I agree about Mulholland Drive, but I'll add Melancholia and Cabin in the Woods.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Oddly enough, Now You See Me, the last movie I saw in the theater.

And definitely Closer.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:52 am
Auteur

This is how I felt about Cache, it's a film that's easier to admire then it is to actually like.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:52 am
Second Unit Director

Salo

I don't think it's really relevant whether one likes or dislikes this film, for the director obviously doesn't care if people like it and maybe even wants people to dislike it. In any case, while I'll admit that this makes some rather provocative and interesting thematic point, anything good about this film is offset by the fact it's virtually unwatchable in many places.

-Jeremy

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 am
Profile WWW