Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Game of Thrones
I have to say giving Peter Dinklage a role (yet unannounced) in the upcoming X-men movie was sheer brilliance on the part of the filmmakers. His "geek cred" has never been higher!

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:01 pm
Cinematographer

So, just finished watching The Rains of Castamere- my thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- What else dominates my thoughts aside from the Red Wedding? I thought they did a pretty good job of setting it up in a way that would likely be a shock to anyone who hadn't read the books. Hell, I'd read the books, and I was cringing while watching this unfold even though I had long known this was going to happen. They even went as far as to kill off Talisa, the Jeyne Westerling character from the books, something that they didn't do in the novel. They also had Roslin smiling instead of being terrified so that the non-reader viewer wouldn't see this coming. Wow. Now I hate the Freys and Roose Bolton more than ever and want Martin to fucking finish Winds of Winter so that I can see them (hopefully) get what's coming to them (yeah, I know that it already started in A Storm of Swords with the Brotherhood hanging Freys, but I want to see Lord Walder turning on a fucking spit after he's seen his entire house extinguished).
- Was it better that Catelyn killed the latest wife rather than Jinglebell? What difference did it make? It was the same futile gesture of anger on the part of a Cat that just watched her son die. I also noticed that she didn't scratch up her face, maybe so that she'll be recognizable next season when she becomes Lady Stoneheart, the Zombie Bitch on a Hell-bent Revenge Spree. Yes, it will have to be next season, because it will be more of a surprise to the non-reader viewer.
- Finally, Bran and Rickon split up, and they did come up with a pretty good excuse for doing so (protecting Rickon and giving Osha somewhere to go that's not north of the Wall).
- While I knew that Jon was going to split off from the wildling party, it was still painful to see the look on Ygritte's face when he ditched them. It was a good bit of acting on the part of Ms. Leslie.
- Arya, you just keep on making for family without reaching them. Time to head to Braavos and learn to be a badass killer girl.\
- Oh yeah, and Dany captured a slaver city. The fighting scene with Daario, Jorah, and Grey Worm was nicely choreographed.
- Sam and Gilly reach the wall! I'm not as upset that they haven't met Coldhands, as it's still possible that Bran and Co could run into him after they bump into Sam/Gilly, so in the next season. We'll see who they cast in the coming months.

Yeah, this episode was quite eventful. I'm not looking forward to the next and final episode, because it will likely involve seeing that shit Joffrey gloating....

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 am
Cinematographer

Based on the non-reader reactions to the pivotal event of this last episode, I'd say that the makers did a good job of making it a complete surprise. So many people screaming is hilarious to me, especially the ones now swearing to never watch the show again. Ahh, let the river of salty tears flow... :lol:

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Based on the non-reader reactions to the pivotal event of this last episode, I'd say that the makers did a good job of making it a complete surprise. So many people screaming is hilarious to me, especially the ones now swearing to never watch the show again. Ahh, let the river of salty tears flow... :lol:

Well I was pretty much stunned. This episode was extremely gritty and brutal, and obviously the best of the season so far. Even more surprising than Ned's fate in the first season, this time involving a lot more of what we were lead to believe were "core" cast. Knowing that no one is safe from being unceremoniously culled certainly keep things interesting, that's for sure. GoT really highlights how crappy "regular" TV shows are, where you know beforehand the main players are in no danger whatsoever. GoT is surely the best thing to ever be made for TV.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Well I was pretty much stunned. This episode was extremely gritty and brutal, and obviously the best of the season so far. Even more surprising than Ned's fate in the first season, this time involving a lot more of what we were lead to believe were "core" cast. Knowing that no one is safe from being unceremoniously culled certainly keep things interesting, that's for sure. GoT really highlights how crappy "regular" TV shows are, where you know beforehand the main players are in no danger whatsoever. GoT is surely the best thing to ever be made for TV.

You still sound like you're in a bit of shock. ;)

Don't worry, angry will quickly rush in to fill the void, as it did for me. Let the hate flow through you.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
You still sound like you're in a bit of shock. ;)
Don't worry, angry will quickly rush in to fill the void, as it did for me. Let the hate flow through you.

It was shocking all right. But it didn't piss me off or anything like that. I find everything about this show incredibly refreshing, and am more enthusiastic about it than ever. And to think this wasn't even the season finale. I don't think I'll start reading the books though - that would be spoilers for my favourite program!
Can't wait for Season 4, although I read somewhere that the fourth book isn't as eventful(?).

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 pm
Director

Jeeze, even though I read the book, that one thing that they change (the first instance of violence) from the book came as a nasty shock. I guess they want the book reader to be caught off-guard like non readers as well. Actually, knowing what will happen make all the rest of the episode leading up to it sometimes difficult to watch, a lot of foreboding and shadowing and small heartbreaks that the first time viewers might not catch.

My favorite online reaction is the first comment of the AV club "newbie" review (where the reviewer and most of the comments never read the books):

[Reveal] Spoiler:
FUCK THIS SHOW!

FUCK THIS SHOW IN ITS COLD BLACK ABSCESS OF A HEART!

At this point, I'm only waiting for our Dragon Overlords to BURN THE ENTIRE FUCKING CONTINENT TO THE GROUND!
:lol:

As for the books, I have known the structure of both Book 4 and Book 5, and don't fancy finishing one and then rewinding back time to catch up on the rest of the characters, so I'm reading both simultaneously based on an online guide.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:11 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Jeeze, even though I read the book, that one thing that they change (the first instance of violence) from the book came as a nasty shock. I guess they want the book reader to be caught off-guard like non readers as well. Actually, knowing what will happen make all the rest of the episode leading up to it sometimes difficult to watch, a lot of foreboding and shadowing and small heartbreaks that the first time viewers might not catch.

When watching previous episodes, I wondered if they would be killing off that character due to the fact that the character in question was traveling with Robb and Co. For that matter, the fact that Brynden was there came as a surprise to me, though they did manage to winkle him out when the pivotal event started. Once I saw that character in attendance at the Twins, I knew that death was in the offering for that one. Still, it was a jarring moment when it happened for me.

peng wrote:
My favorite online reaction is the first comment of the AV club "newbie" review (where the reviewer and most of the comments never read the books).

Among the non-readers (or "Unsullied", as they are nicknamed), the reaction to this seems to greatly exceed that of the death of another character from an earlier season. You should go to YouTube and check out the reaction videos for some laughs.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Cinematographer

Here's a bit of funny stuff related to the episode that I just came across:

Maisie William's take on what happened in The Rains of Castamere

Good times. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, I just came across this guy's review of the episode on YouTube. It is seriously hilarious stuff considering that he's talking about what should be done about certain characters gangland style:

Season 3 Episode 9 Reaction (SPOILER WARNING)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

This is great-- Onion article (of course) from "George R.R. Martin" on watching Rains of Castermere-- http://www.theonion.com/articles/oh-shi ... ens,32673/

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

And this...

Q. Why doesn't George R.R. Martin use Twitter
A. Because he's already killed off all 140 characters

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 am

peng wrote:

My favorite online reaction is the first comment of the AV club "newbie" review (where the reviewer and most of the comments never read the books):

[Reveal] Spoiler:
FUCK THIS SHOW!

FUCK THIS SHOW IN ITS COLD BLACK ABSCESS OF A HEART!

At this point, I'm only waiting for our Dragon Overlords to BURN THE ENTIRE FUCKING CONTINENT TO THE GROUND!
:lol:

As for the books, I have known the structure of both Book 4 and Book 5, and don't fancy finishing one and then rewinding back time to catch up on the rest of the characters, so I'm reading both simultaneously based on an online guide.

could you supply a link to this online guide? i'm on my second readthrough and would like to read them in a straight timeline sense, if you know what i mean.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Director

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

It seemed to be well thought out. I like that he has the order and have two pages for both first time readers and re-reading people (the latter is a link in the first paragraph), and the page above explains the order reasoning well enough without spoiling anything. Of course I haven't veered into the spoiler-filled page that seems to explain the reason for this order thoroughly yet, but I guess that page will be right for you.

Another thing, I don't remember what the season finale's name means. And it seems book-readers are anticipating this episode as well, and even though I already read the book I have no idea why. Past the events of last episode I'm getting a bit fuzzy on the timeline of many next things. What do you guys think will be included in the episode?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 am

peng wrote:
http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

It seemed to be well thought out. I like that he has the order and have two pages for both first time readers and re-reading people (the latter is a link in the first paragraph), and the page above explains the order reasoning well enough without spoiling anything. Of course I haven't veered into the spoiler-filled page that seems to explain the reason for this order thoroughly yet, but I guess that page will be right for you.

Another thing, I don't remember what the season finale's name means. And it seems book-readers are anticipating this episode as well, and even though I already read the book I have no idea why. Past the events of last episode I'm getting a bit fuzzy on the timeline of many next things. What do you guys think will be included in the episode?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the episode is called 'mhysa' i think, right? that's the name that all the freed slaves in yunkai call daenerys as it's valyrian for 'mother' or something.

other things that i think will happen:

- bran/hodor meet sam/gilly. coldhands will likely pop up here somewhere as sam/gilly would have met him at this point in the book. it's possible they'll just have bran/hodor meet him next season i suppose though.

- i can't see there being any battle at the wall until next season as stannis isn't there yet and i hear they're looking to make an entire episode devoted to that battle.

- probably some kind of 'reveal' of ramsay bolton as theon's torturer and probably theon being given the name 'reek'. possibly a re-introduction of yara greyboy/death of balon greyjoy. could see that being saved for next season too though.

- i highly doubt we'd have joffrey's wedding. been relatively little build up and oberyn martell/mace tyrell aren't in king's landing yet. and need some of those characters for tyrion's trial.

- jamie/brienne will arrive in king's landing. will likely see some emotional scenes between tywin/jamie and cersei/jamie.

- the big ending scene will likely be some of beric's men killing freys and catelyn/lady stoneheart stepping out of the woods and people being all like, 'omgwtf'. or they'll show it from arya's point of view having wolf dreams and seeing lady stoneheart dead by the river or some such.

- davos trying to sneak gendry out of dragonstone may come up.

my two cents.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

oh and thanks very much for that link!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

A writer from Entertainment Weekly called that ending, "one of the most shocking, brutal, and disturbing sequences ever put on television." I'd have to say I am inclined to agree, wouldn't you??!? What really put me off was
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Talisa and Robb talking about naming their child "Eddard" and then seeing her get stabbed in the abdomen... that's sick and ironic. UGH.
Oh Thrones, you are so cruel!

But I agree that part of what the series so fantastic and great (and MADDENING) - that nobody is safe. And this, of course, was a complete game-changer. And an unusual story-telling device that we are used to.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Normally as these types of stories go, the avenging son rises up and .... well, avenges. But then, it is a familiar refrain for this show that things don't go so well for the characters who do right and honorable things. Here's hoping Jon Snow can buck that trend!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 pm

nitrium wrote:
And to think this wasn't even the season finale.

Not that sharp of a departure for the series given the ninth episode of season one though, yea?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:33 pm
Cinematographer

I don't think I've ever seen the kind of fallout following a single episode of a TV series that Game of Thrones has. Then again, few other TV series have the balls to remove major characters in the fashion that GoT did. I'm looking forward to the season finale this Sunday.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

The Rains of Castamere is the closest I've ever come to throwing my beer at the TV, before then scooping into the rest of the twelve pack to lob off more bombs in a fit of rage, and after the last episode of Breaking Bad that is saying something. Never been so pissed off in my life, and what makes it all the worse and more insulting... it was so brilliantly done.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:00 am
Cinematographer

JJoshay wrote:
The Rains of Castamere is the closest I've ever come to throwing my beer at the TV, before then scooping into the rest of the twelve pack to lob off more bombs in a fit of rage, and after the last episode of Breaking Bad that is saying something. Never been so pissed off in my life, and what makes it all the worse and more insulting... it was so brilliantly done.

This pretty much describes my reaction when I first read the scene in A Storm of Swords.

I watched the final episode of the season tonight, Mhysa. My thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- It was nice to see Arya killing a Frey armsman- they worked in a scene from the 2nd book (A Clash of Kings) where Arya had killed a Bolton guard at Harrenhal in the same manner. Her body count in the TV series is far behind that of her book version, as that version had killed about 9 people by the time the Red Wedding happened. It was also a nice touch to work in the significance of the coin Jaqen H'ghar gave her as a prelude to her training as a Faceless Man which will likely happen in season 5.
- Sam's meeting with Bran was a nice scene that was adapted from the book very well. I guess they wanted to leave out the part where Sam had to open the magic door, though.
- Bolton and Frey meeting after the Red Wedding is a great way to rub salt in the wounds of the non-reader viewers who were kicked in the stomach by the last episode. Now the sadness and shock will turn to anger and hate. It was also a way to confirm the identity of the "boy" (Iwan Rheon) as Ramsay Snow/Bolton.
- Seriously, if you're not feeling sorry for Theon after this episode, you are a cold bastard.
- Balon Greyjoy is being built up as someone that the audience will be wanting to see dead. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the next season.
- Tywin got to tell Joffrey to go home and get his fucking shinebox again. Nice!
- For those who didn't read the books, the way the relationship between Jon and Ygritte will end will be saddening after that scene between them in this episode. Rose Leslie really put in a great performance in that scene.
- Jaime makes back to King's Landing a lot sooner than he did in the book (given that he only made it back after Joffrey's death in the book). It will be interesting to see what is done with his character in the next season.
- The scene for which the episode was named (specifically the name given to Dany by the freed slaves) was OK.

All in all, it was a fairly good way to set up the next season, as many viewers are really wanting to see Joffrey get his, not to mention Lords Frey and Bolton.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:44 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next