Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Gaffer

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I enjoyed the following films from M Night Shyamalan

Praying With Anger (3 stars)
The Sixth Sense (3.5 stars)
Unbreakable (3.5 stars)
Signs (3.5 stars)
The Village (3.5 stars)
Lady In The Water (2.5 stars)
The Happening (3 stars)

The rest of his films (The Last Airbender) was absolute mess though

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 am
Producer

I liked Lady in the Water. But The Village, The Happening and The Last Airbender were all terrible.

I was hoping that After Earth would be his comeback movie, but clearly that's not meant to be.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I liked Lady in the Water. But The Village, The Happening and The Last Airbender were all terrible.

I was hoping that After Earth would be his comeback movie, but clearly that's not meant to be.

Well that depends on how much money it makes.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:35 am
Critic

I might as well come right out and say then that I also really liked The Village and don't understand at all what people found so loathsome about it. I can hear the argument that the movie is somewhat built around its twist, but the same charge is never leveled at many other movies that have similar constructions.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
might as well come right out and say then that I also really liked The Village and don't understand at all what people found so loathsome about it. I can hear the argument that the movie is somewhat built around its twist, but the same charge is never leveled at many other movies that have similar constructions.

I liked it too. In some ways, it's the last Shymalan film I can say I enjoyed.

Like I said elsewhere on this forum. My personal favorite of his is Unbreakable.

My ranking of his films I've seen

Wide Awake ***
The Sixth Sense **-Too dependent on the twist and when you take that out of the equation there's not much left. Willis is fantastic though.
Unbreakable ***1/2-A more entertaining oremise, the twist is better integrated into the story as a whole and the overall result is better.
Signs **1/2-Entertaining. But full of inconsistencies that drag it down.
The Village ***-Better than Signs. The twist isn't telegraphed halfway through and it offers more entertainment overall tghan THe Sixth Sense.
Lady In The Water *1/2-Ammbitious attempt failed in execution
The Happening *1/2-Interesting premise executed poorly
The Last AIrbender-From what I've seen of it I have no desire to see the whole thing. Hence the lack of a star rating.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 am
Director

Yeah, another one of my unpopular opinions is that The Village is my favorite Shyamalan film. Out of his "good" period it may have the least good endings (still not "bad" for me), but it excels so much in every other things imo. It has a livelier pace, great chilly atmosphere (the cinematography is gorgeous), and very strong performances across the board. Bryce Dallas Howard's blind girl is my favorite character in any Shymalan's film, really good and involving performance (also helping is that this is a main character with a strong personality, unlike many of Shyamalan's other subdued protagonists), and her relationship with Phoenix's character has me very invested in the story. It's also outright scary in many scenes.

Also, another opinion I don't agree with is that The Sixth Sense relies only on its famous twist. When I watched it the first time at home I knew from the hype there was going to be a BIG twist, but I didn't guess it even though I was looking for it. The movie itself was a satisfying ghost story with a very good child performance (disagree with JB there). I remembered thinking after the car scene between the kid and his mom that even if it didn't have a twist afterwards, this story was good enough as a scary little film that if it ended then I would be satisfied. And then the twist came, and it BLEW me away, shedding new light on a lot of things. To me, the twist just elevates the film from a very good ghost story to a great one, but the movie is still fine on its own.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 am
Second Unit Director

I have avoided most of M. Nights films due to horrible reviews across the board, but I liked both Unbreakable and The Village, and don't see why The Village gets mocked the way it does. I think it's problem is that it's a little bit old fashioned (not just the setting, but the story it's trying to tell) and I think more modern, jaded audienced didn't react well to that.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

I never fully understood the hatred for The Happening. It had a very interesting premise, it's execution IMO was solid and the movie overall was pretty good (entertaining). Mark Wahlberg and Zooey gave nice performances and the sequence involving the killing of two children was pretty chilling.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 am
Auteur

gkanchan wrote:
I never fully understood the hatred for The Happening. It had a very interesting premise, it's execution IMO was solid and the movie overall was pretty good (entertaining). Mark Wahlberg and Zooey gave nice performances and the sequence involving the killing of two children was pretty chilling.

I found it more tolerable then most of Shyamalan's other films by comparison, at least that was fairly entertaining in a ridiculous sort of way.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:31 pm
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
I have avoided most of M. Nights films due to horrible reviews across the board, but I liked both Unbreakable and The Village, and don't see why The Village gets mocked the way it does. I think it's problem is that it's a little bit old fashioned (not just the setting, but the story it's trying to tell) and I think more modern, jaded audienced didn't react well to that.

How is "The Village" "old fashioned" exactly? I wasn't jaded when I saw it, I was willing to give it a chance, but the story just didn't go anywhere and the asinine twist ending sent the film spiralling into an abyss from which it never recovered.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
thered47 wrote:

How is "The Village" "old fashioned" exactly? I wasn't jaded when I saw it, I was willing to give it a chance, but the story just didn't go anywhere and the asinine twist ending sent the film spiralling into an abyss from which it never recovered.

Well, I felt like the story would have been right at home on an episode of the twilight zone. By old fashioned, I meant there's relatively little violence, almost no gore, (that I recall) and most of the suspense comes from gradually revealing what is going on, as opposed to lots of running around. The whole idea of "evil" being inherent to a modern advanced society, while provocative, is potentially rather conservative.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Shyamalan's problem is that he has no sense of fun, despite working in genres that depend on having fun in order to work at all. 10 years ago, he enjoyed a smaller scale version of the attention that Nolan gets now: everyone bow down to the mind-fucker. For some strange reason, mindfuck movies have to be incredibly self-serious or else they don't work for some people. It's as if some people are actually ashamed of having fun while watching a movie.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:49 pm
Auteur

As much as I love De Niro and Pacino, I don't understand why "Heat" is held in such high regard, this is one film where I agree with JB 100 percent. The biggest problem with that movie was the length, it was WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO goddamn long for it's own good, it should've been at 45-50 minutes shorter, none of the subplots added anything to the film(especially with that serial killer nonsense, which felt like it belonged in a completely different movie), sure the action scene swere good, but that wasn't nearly enough to make up for all the tedium elsewhere. Honestly, i'd rather see Righteous Kill again then that film.

Now for a film where I agreed with Ebert 100 % -The Usual Suspects, I was not impressed or blown away by the twist. Also I enjoyed Speed 2.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
As much as I love De Niro and Pacino, I don't understand why "Heat" is held in such high regard, this is one film where I agree with JB 100 percent. The biggest problem with that movie was the length, it was WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO goddamn long for it's own good, it should've been at 45-50 minutes shorter, none of the subplots added anything to the film(especially with that serial killer nonsense, which felt like it belonged in a completely different movie), sure the action scene swere good, but that wasn't nearly enough to make up for all the tedium elsewhere. Honestly, i'd rather see Righteous Kill again then that film

Agreed. And JB is absolutely right deriding the fact that De Niro and Pacino only appear in one scene together; ridiculous.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:52 am
Critic

Vexer wrote:
As much as I love De Niro and Pacino, I don't understand why "Heat" is held in such high regard, this is one film where I agree with JB 100 percent. The biggest problem with that movie was the length, it was WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO goddamn long for it's own good, it should've been at 45-50 minutes shorter, none of the subplots added anything to the film(especially with that serial killer nonsense, which felt like it belonged in a completely different movie), sure the action scene swere good, but that wasn't nearly enough to make up for all the tedium elsewhere. Honestly, i'd rather see Righteous Kill again then that film.

Now for a film where I agreed with Ebert 100 % -The Usual Suspects, I was not impressed or blown away by the twist. Also I enjoyed Speed 2.

There was a serial killer in Heat?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

What I suspect Vex is referring to is the Waingro character.

Disagree on Heat even if it does get sluggish at points. Overall I think it's earned its classic status.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

What I suspect Vex is referring to is the Waingro character.

Disagree on Heat even if it does get sluggish at points. Overall I think it's earned its classic status.

Yeah, his character didn't add anything to the film, if I were an editor for this film, his scenes would be the first thing to go.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Yeah, his character didn't add anything to the film, if I were an editor for this film, his scenes would be the first thing to go.

But Waingro was the catalyst for McCauley's death at the end. If McCauley had just hopped that flight out of LAX it would have been happy ending for him. That would have felt forced. WHile I found his character the most sympathetic, the way the movie ended was appropriate.

Also, Waingro set the stage for the wya things wnet early on. When he shot that guy during the first heist, that went against McCauley's approach.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Kubrick's direction in A Clockwork Orange is godawful and nearly ruins the film due to the fact that it draws constant attention to itself. Oh look, I know how to use wide angle shots in order to distort perception, I felt Kubrick was constantly crying out. The only reason the film actually works is due to Macdowell's eerie and at times brilliant performance.

Also, Eyes Wide Shut is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Full Metal Jacket is grossly underrated though, much better than Apocalypse Now and almost as good as Platoon.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Critic

thered47 wrote:

Full Metal Jacket is grossly underrated though, much better than Apocalypse Now and almost as good as Platoon.

Ugh that terrible second half....if you think that shit's better than Apocalypse Now, I just want to give you a cookie to cheer you up from your sad life.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next