Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:34 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I liked her in Boys Don't Cry too, and this is coming from someone who found Million Dollar Baby to be extremely mediocre and overrated.


Well I actually liked many things about "Million Dollar Baby". Clint Eastwoood is able to take well worn cliches, taking them dead seriously, and still make them at least interesting and worthwhile. The only serious problem I have with that movie is:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It takes a sudden left turn after playing out like a female "Rocky". After that the movie just capitulates, it's dead, the story ends long before the movie ends. No surprises, no revenge stories, nothing unexpected, noone does anything, nothing at all - it's just "bang": fate came up with a very nasty cheap shot and there is nothing anyone can do about Hil Swank's character slowly dying. I was expecting a little more than that from, Mr. Eastwood himself


Wrong.

There IS something that someone can do about the situation. And his dilemma about whether or not to do it forms the essential question of the third act.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Wrong.

There IS something that someone can do about the situation. And his dilemma about whether or not to do it forms the essential question of the third act.


Well please let's agree to disagree:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hil's Character became paralyzed from the neck down, later she developed skin ulcers and a leg had to be amputated. She was slowly "falling apart" physically and was already "dead" since she didn't have anything more to live for. So the decision to apply euthanasia is not the same as "doing something about it". Trying (just as an example) to go to court against the female boxer who did that to her, which was clearly a criminal offense - that would have been "doing something about it", because it would have been a chance to protect other boxers to suffer the same fate - instead we get "Rocky" and then "The Sea Inside".


Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 pm
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4024
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I do not like Michael Hanecke's films at all, he's not nearly as clever or subversive as he thinks he is. Funny Games is one of the worst pieces of shit i've ever seen, all that did was make me want to watch Hostel again just to spite him.


Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Wrong.

There IS something that someone can do about the situation. And his dilemma about whether or not to do it forms the essential question of the third act.


Well please let's agree to disagree:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hil's Character became paralyzed from the neck down, later she developed skin ulcers and a leg had to be amputated. She was slowly "falling apart" physically and was already "dead" since she didn't have anything more to live for. So the decision to apply euthanasia is not the same as "doing something about it". Trying (just as an example) to go to court against the female boxer who did that to her, which was clearly a criminal offense - that would have been "doing something about it", because it would have been a chance to protect other boxers to suffer the same fate - instead we get "Rocky" and then "The Sea Inside".


I don't know Perf -- you're coming dangerously close to commiting the cardinal sin (which, in fairness, we all commit from time to time) of criticizing a movie for not being about something else. Not going to court? You might as well complain that it doesn't involve gambling enough. Or, to take the argument to its logical extreme, it would have been a better movie with more dinosaurs.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
I don't know Perf -- you're coming dangerously close to commiting the cardinal sin (which, in fairness, we all commit from time to time) of criticizing a movie for not being about something else. Not going to court? You might as well complain that it doesn't involve gambling enough. Or, to take the argument to its logical extreme, it would have been a better movie with more dinosaurs.


O.K. let me try to explain it this way: Please see my "suggestion" as just that: a suggestion, a temporary stand-in for something better. I simply found the last act empty, devoid of narrative thrust, stalling, slow, boring. I never would accuse any movie of not having anything in particular in it, just because it happened to be the first thing coming into my mind. If I would be able to come up with brilliant ideas as alternatives, I would try my luck as a screenwriter.
I don't want the movie to be something else altogether. And of course I am not the only one who points out that exact flaw. At least I don't just complain, I try to point at a possible direction where a solution to a better movie might have been.
By now you know for certain, that I don't fall victim to certain cognitive errors.


Tue May 28, 2013 8:11 pm
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2026
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Well, here's my unpopular opinion for the day.

I just now watched Star Trek: Final Frontier for the first time, and I don't see what the hell is so awful about it. It's inoffensive, fairly breezy, and perfectly diverting. The actors are still well-energized, which is more than you can say for Return of the Jedi or Die Another Day, and Final Frontier is better than either of those in most other ways too. Nothing exceptional about it, granted, but worth a watch and satisfying. And frankly, "satisfying" is about as much as you can ask for from a 50 year old franchise. Why do you want new filmmakers to recapture the feeling of Wrath of Khan when all you have to do is buy the bluray for it?

Therein lays the unfounded arguments of people who were disappointed with Skyfall. Casino Royale's story is over with. Trying to overextend it was, as Quantum proved, a mistake. Mendes and team gave us a new story which may or may not have been as good. But it was NEW at least. It added a genuinely new story to the franchise. And I'm proud to be a lifelong Bond fan when I observe that Mendes did not need Oddjob, Jaws, or Goldfinger to sprout up under different ethnicities in order to keep the franchise alive. And even when John Glen brought Blofeld back for a little fan service in 1981, he did it for about 3 minutes and let the rest of the movie have its own story.


Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4024
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
MGamesCook wrote:
Well, here's my unpopular opinion for the day.

I just now watched Star Trek: Final Frontier for the first time, and I don't see what the hell is so awful about it. It's inoffensive, fairly breezy, and perfectly diverting. The actors are still well-energized, which is more than you can say for Return of the Jedi or Die Another Day, and Final Frontier is better than either of those in most other ways too. Nothing exceptional about it, granted, but worth a watch and satisfying. And frankly, "satisfying" is about as much as you can ask for from a 50 year old franchise. Why do you want new filmmakers to recapture the feeling of Wrath of Khan when all you have to do is buy the bluray for it?

Therein lays the unfounded arguments of people who were disappointed with Skyfall. Casino Royale's story is over with. Trying to overextend it was, as Quantum proved, a mistake. Mendes and team gave us a new story which may or may not have been as good. But it was NEW at least. It added a genuinely new story to the franchise. And I'm proud to be a lifelong Bond fan when I observe that Mendes did not need Oddjob, Jaws, or Goldfinger to sprout up under different ethnicities in order to keep the franchise alive. And even when John Glen brought Blofeld back for a little fan service in 1981, he did it for about 3 minutes and let the rest of the movie have its own story.

I agree that Final Frontier isn't that bad, though I wouldn't quite say it's better then ROTJ or DAD.


Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1198
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Finally, I can say there's a movie where I went against the critical grain big-time, and not only that, but my thoughts are in lock-step with that of Dustin Putman. Imagine that!

The Tree of Life-- I guess I just didn't get it. It's visually awesome; every frame is like a museum piece come to life, and there are some occasional worthwhile human scenes to be found, but this felt like one of those movies where the director is putting "art" above all else, including coherence. I don't often use the term "pretentious" to describe a movie, but this is one I'll make an exception for. Given the high placement on Top 10 lists in 2011 this made with many critics, I'm in a huge minority. But hey, everyone has at least that one movie, right?

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
MGamesCook wrote:
Well, here's my unpopular opinion for the day.

I just now watched Star Trek: Final Frontier for the first time, and I don't see what the hell is so awful about it. It's inoffensive, fairly breezy, and perfectly diverting. The actors are still well-energized, which is more than you can say for Return of the Jedi or Die Another Day, and Final Frontier is better than either of those in most other ways too. Nothing exceptional about it, granted, but worth a watch and satisfying.

Why did you single out "Die Another Day," just out of curiosity? Most consider it a middle-of-the-road Bond outing, at best. :|


Fri May 31, 2013 8:02 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I think most people consider it a little bit worse than that.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri May 31, 2013 8:20 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2026
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
I think most people consider it a little bit worse than that.


Yeah, I singled it out because of its infamy as the worst Bond movie. Final Frontier is the infamous entry in the original cast Star Trek series. But I thought it was decent.


Fri May 31, 2013 9:24 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I never bothered with it due to its reputation.

But then, I did just bother with Star Trek III, which I hadn't watched up until recently more due to a philosophical objection than anything to do with its purported quality.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
I think most people consider it a little bit worse than that.

I did say AT BEST. :P Initially I thought it was the second best Brosnan outing (after "GoldenEye," naturally), but my opinion of it has since gone down, and almost feels as though the series was heading back into Moore territory, for whatever reason. :? Thankfully "The Bourne Identity," which also came out that year (as well as its follow-up), led the producers to rethink the direction they were taking the series.

Still, I prefer it over "The Living Daylights" and Moore's first two and last two outings.


Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4024
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:
I think most people consider it a little bit worse than that.

I did say AT BEST. :P Initially I thought it was the second best Brosnan outing (after "GoldenEye," naturally), but my opinion of it has since gone down, and almost feels as though the series was heading back into Moore territory, for whatever reason. :? Thankfully "The Bourne Identity," which also came out that year (as well as its follow-up), led the producers to rethink the direction they were taking the series.

Still, I prefer it over "The Living Daylights" and Moore's first two and last two outings.

I think Die Another Day is pretty underrated, I definitely prefer it over the godawful Man With The Golden Gun and Live And Let Die.


Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
I think Die Another Day is pretty underrated, I definitely prefer it over the godawful Man With The Golden Gun and Live And Let Die.

As do I (see the last sentence in my previous post -- i.e. Moore's first two outings). ;)


Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4024
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I think Die Another Day is pretty underrated, I definitely prefer it over the godawful Man With The Golden Gun and Live And Let Die.

As do I (see the last sentence in my previous post -- i.e. Moore's first two outings). ;)

Oh, I thought you said Moore's Last two outings.


Fri May 31, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I actually said first two AND last two, but it's a moot point, I suppose.


Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm
Posts: 42
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I.

Cannot.

Fucking.

Stand.

Teri.

Garr.

_________________
Last five viewings...

Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain - 5/10
Crystal Lake Memories - 8/10
Carrie (2013) - 6/10
Eve of Destruction - 7/10
Phil Spector - 5/10


Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4024
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
A.J. Hakari wrote:
I.

Cannot.

Fucking.

Stand.

Teri.

Garr.

What's wrong with her? :?


Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1782
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
A.J. Hakari wrote:
I.

Cannot.

Fucking.

Stand.

Teri.

Garr.


Yep, that's unpopular all right.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr