Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:11 am

The Myth of the Ambiguous Ending 
Director

Post Re: The Myth of the Ambiguous Ending
PeachyPete wrote:
Ugh, why do you insist on being married to what's in the shooting script? Things get cut ALL THE TIME.

Because it gives you an idea of the writer's intent when examining various drafts of the script. And you should take note that I think it was a good thing Chase chose to cut out Tony getting whacked; it packs more of a punch that way.

Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm
Producer

I can't decide how to end this thread.

Can anyone offer any opinions?

Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 am
Producer

If only I had the good sense to let your post be the end of the thread, which would have been excellent.

Oh well.

Thu May 02, 2013 5:07 am
Producer

I actually find your 4th wall breaking comment to be a fitting end, but the only problem is that I have posted this now.

Now we need a Pulp Fiction non-linear type device to reaarange the order of all the posts.

And where did that film end again? Was it Butch riding off into the sunset?

Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 am
Cinematographer

Who knows how things should end?

After all, ambigu-

Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm
Cinematographer

Ambiguous? Tony Soprano is in Caribbean being pampered by beach babes while virgins roll cigars for him on their inner thighs. (At least that's where I'd be if I were a wealthy retired mobster).

Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm
Cinematographer

It's a device, just like many others, and it serves some films/shows better than others. Even though the ending might not be the most important thing, an ambiguous one does lend itself to some thought-provoking discussions about the meaning of the plot and the film overall.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

It depends on the film. You really don't want to film an Agatha Christie novel and not solve the mystery, but it works very well in A Separation where the daughter could easily choose either parent. What's important is the resolution of the mystery about the miscarriage, whether or not the parents stay together, and whether the daughter will learn to lie just like her parents. To me it's the story of how Termeh learned how to commit perjury.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 am
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I've always liked ambiguous endings. To paraphrase a line from Clerks "That's all life is, a series of ambiguous endings".

The ending you mentioned in A Serious Man reminded me of another Coen Brothers ending: No Country For Old Men. Both endings have been termed as ambiguous.
I know a few people (including my father) who hated the ending of No Country. Less an ambiguous ending than a flat out downbeat one.

Yeah I know a few people who didn't like the ending of No Country for Old Men. My wife and I loved the movie though. Her mother said she didn't like not knowing what happened to the wife, which again to me was beside the point. And you could argue that the next scene reveals what happened anyway.

Interesting that you mentioned Clerks too, Wilder. Smith actually shot a downbeat, conclusive ending to that film, but cut it. It was among the deleted scenes on the DVD but I'm glad it was cut; it didn't suit the film.

Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Did any of you guys find the ending of Killer Joe ambiguous?

I mean...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...she pulls the trigger, right?

Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 am
ram1312 wrote:
Did any of you guys find the ending of Killer Joe ambiguous?

I mean...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
...she pulls the trigger, right?

Well I don't think the ending is ambiguous.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dottie does pull the trigger and Joe is genuinely caught off guard - he genuinely smiles for once - as he learns she is pregnant, so he very likely dies. What would have been a 100% non-ambiguous ending? Showing how he gets shot, dies - and pregnant Dottie standing there? Now what?
Haven't seen the stage play, but it might be the stage ending: the lights go out on stage before the fatal shot(s) and the curtain falls. Best solution to conclude the story/play.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
It's a device, just like many others, and it serves some films/shows better than others. Even though the ending might not be the most important thing, an ambiguous one does lend itself to some thought-provoking discussions about the meaning of the plot and the film overall.

I think that this is an important point--whether or not an ambiguous ending is appropriate is dependent on the context of the work.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 am