Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Author Message
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 972
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
-

-I've seen Shame] and Hunger...and I refuse to see another movie by Steve McQueen...he's just as boring and pretentious as Wes Anderson.
.


You weren't impressed at least a little by the first third of Hunger?


That was the worst part! Guys beating the crap out of each other, bizarre images, and guys smearing feces on the wall. Now that's entertainment!

And yes, Vex, I was talking about my website.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Mon May 27, 2013 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
moviemkr7 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
-

-I've seen Shame] and Hunger...and I refuse to see another movie by Steve McQueen...he's just as boring and pretentious as Wes Anderson.
.


You weren't impressed at least a little by the first third of Hunger?


That was the worst part! Guys beating the crap out of each other, bizarre images, and guys smearing feces on the wall. Now that's entertainment!



Can't movies make statements about history or humanity sometimes? It may not make you laugh, but I thought it was riveting cinema. God help us if we were only given "entertaining" movies.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon May 27, 2013 10:25 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 442
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:

Can't movies make statements about history or humanity sometimes? It may not make you laugh, but I thought it was riveting cinema. God help us if we were only given "entertaining" movies.


God forbid that people are able to stay awake during those movies. :roll:


Mon May 27, 2013 11:02 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
God forbid that you get enough sleep that you can stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours.





(Please, nobody ruin the chain. I want to see how far we can take it.)

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
God forbid that you get enough sleep that you can stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours.





(Please, nobody ruin the chain. I want to see how far we can take it.)


God forbid that...uh...Obama manages to not fuck up the country for one day, allowing me to fall asleep at a reasonable hour instead of fretting over the government coming to take my guns, thereby allowing me to stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
God forbid that you get enough sleep that you can stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours.





(Please, nobody ruin the chain. I want to see how far we can take it.)


God forbid that...uh...Obama manages to not fuck up the country for one day, allowing me to fall asleep at a reasonable hour instead of fretting over the government coming to take my guns, thereby allowing me to stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours

God forbid that we can have a conversation without it somehow devolving into politics and cries of "Obama is ruining this country" blah blah blah.


Mon May 27, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
God forbid that you get enough sleep that you can stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours.





(Please, nobody ruin the chain. I want to see how far we can take it.)


God forbid that...uh...Obama manages to not fuck up the country for one day, allowing me to fall asleep at a reasonable hour instead of fretting over the government coming to take my guns, thereby allowing me to stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours

God forbid that we can have a conversation without it somehow devolving into politics and cries of "Obama is ruining this country" blah blah blah.


God forbid that Vexer recognizes sarcasm

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 382
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
*weaves magically between the chain to insert comment without breaking it*

JamesKunz wrote:
God forbid that Vexer recognizes sarcasm


lol.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Mon May 27, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
The Star Wars prequels are about on the same level as the original trilogy. I enjoy all of them.


James review of Hangover Part III reminded me of another unpopular opinion I share:

I love The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. In fact, if I were to rank all of the Matrix movies, Reloaded is my favorite of the three.

Agreed, I also liked the Back To The Future sequels.


I'm not all that fond of Back to the Future II, but I love III. Partly because I smile any time I see Mary Steenburgen. Teri Garr used to have that effect on me, too.

(Mary Steenburgen played Miep Gies in "The Attic: The Hiding of Anne Frank." I would love to find a DVD copy of that, but all I've found is VHS.)

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1314
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
God forbid that you get enough sleep that you can stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours.





(Please, nobody ruin the chain. I want to see how far we can take it.)


God forbid that...uh...Obama manages to not fuck up the country for one day, allowing me to fall asleep at a reasonable hour instead of fretting over the government coming to take my guns, thereby allowing me to stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours

God forbid that we can have a conversation without it somehow devolving into politics and cries of "Obama is ruining this country" blah blah blah.

God forbid we remember Bush got us in this situation in the first place. :P


Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1098
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

God forbid that...uh...Obama manages to not fuck up the country for one day, allowing me to fall asleep at a reasonable hour instead of fretting over the government coming to take my guns, thereby allowing me to stay awake and pay attention to something for two hours

God forbid that we can have a conversation without it somehow devolving into politics and cries of "Obama is ruining this country" blah blah blah.

God forbid we remember Bush got us in this situation in the first place. :P


With or without the sarcasm, politics is not a good place to take this thread. It should be about movies, period.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it. "Freedom Writers" is one of the great underestimated movies of the last ten years.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2234
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it. "Freedom Writers" is one of the great underestimated movies of the last ten years.


She was also outstanding in the underrated Conviction. Conviction was in my top 10 of that year and I thought she and Sam Rockwell both deserved Oscar nominations for their work in that movie! Powerful stuff!


Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
ilovemovies wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it. "Freedom Writers" is one of the great underestimated movies of the last ten years.


She was also outstanding in the underrated Conviction. Conviction was in my top 10 of that year and I thought she and Sam Rockwell both deserved Oscar nominations for their work in that movie! Powerful stuff!


Really? Damn. I thought that movie wasn't bad, but was just so, so, SO blah.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 28, 2013 6:17 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 503
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it. "Freedom Writers" is one of the great underestimated movies of the last ten years.


She was also outstanding in the underrated Conviction. Conviction was in my top 10 of that year and I thought she and Sam Rockwell both deserved Oscar nominations for their work in that movie! Powerful stuff!


Really? Damn. I thought that movie wasn't bad, but was just so, so, SO blah.

I just remembered I saw that movie. .___.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Tue May 28, 2013 11:14 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it.


Swank isn't the most popular actress in the world, so it might be fairly unpopular. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm amazed that you haven't seen Boys Don't Cry given that you're a Swank fan. Every person, bar none, who's seen that movie thinks her performance was superlative, even my wife, who thought her performance in Million Dollar Baby was merely OK. I recommend it to anyone who thinks she's overrated in the slightest. The film is a bit of an ordeal during the violent scenes, but the romance is wonderfully sweet too. If you really don't think you could stomach it, you could turn it off before the really horrific stuff since it's abundantly obvious when it starts. You would still get to witness a remarkable performance. It's one of the best examples of an actor completely disappearing into a role.

Another performance of hers I really enjoyed was in The Gift, in fact, I think that movie was wonderfully acted all around and (unpopular opinion alert) deserved some Oscar noms. Even Keanu Reeves was good! (I mean it isn't news when Cate Blanchett and Hilary Swank are good. :lol:) Greg Kinnear, Giovanni Ribisi, and Gary Cole were strong too. I've long thought Sam Raimi was good at directing actors.


Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Finally someone else who's not a Monty Python fan and isn't that fond of A Fish Called Wanda!
The mob is coming with with fish and chips. And they'll have Russian accents.


NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!


Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Gwaihir wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
It's probably not that unpopular, but I've never seen a Hilary Swank performance where she wasn't supurb. I've seen her in "Million Dollar Baby," where she absolutely deserved her Oscar, "Insomnia," where she probably deserved another, "Freedom Writers," and "Iron Jawed Angels". I've never even seen "Boys Don't Cry," because I don't think I could bear it.


Swank isn't the most popular actress in the world, so it might be fairly unpopular. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm amazed that you haven't seen Boys Don't Cry given that you're a Swank fan. Every person, bar none, who's seen that movie thinks her performance was superlative, even my wife, who thought her performance in Million Dollar Baby was merely OK. I recommend it to anyone who thinks she's overrated in the slightest. The film is a bit of an ordeal during the violent scenes, but the romance is wonderfully sweet too. If you really don't think you could stomach it, you could turn it off before the really horrific stuff since it's abundantly obvious when it starts. You would still get to witness a remarkable performance. It's one of the best examples of an actor completely disappearing into a role.

Another performance of hers I really enjoyed was in The Gift, in fact, I think that movie was wonderfully acted all around and (unpopular opinion alert) deserved some Oscar noms. Even Keanu Reeves was good! (I mean it isn't news when Cate Blanchett and Hilary Swank are good. :lol:) Greg Kinnear, Giovanni Ribisi, and Gary Cole were strong too. I've long thought Sam Raimi was good at directing actors.
I liked her in Boys Don't Cry too, and this is coming from someone who found Million Dollar Baby to be extremely mediocre and overrated.


Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
I liked her in Boys Don't Cry too, and this is coming from someone who found Million Dollar Baby to be extremely mediocre and overrated.


Well I actually liked many things about "Million Dollar Baby". Clint Eastwoood is able to take well worn cliches, taking them dead seriously, and still make them at least interesting and worthwhile. The only serious problem I have with that movie is:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It takes a sudden left turn after playing out like a female "Rocky". After that the movie just capitulates, it's dead, the story ends long before the movie ends. No surprises, no revenge stories, nothing unexpected, noone does anything, nothing at all - it's just "bang": fate came up with a very nasty cheap shot and there is nothing anyone can do about Hil Swank's character slowly dying. I was expecting a little more than that from, Mr. Eastwood himself


Tue May 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I liked her in Boys Don't Cry too, and this is coming from someone who found Million Dollar Baby to be extremely mediocre and overrated.


Well I actually liked many things about "Million Dollar Baby". Clint Eastwoood is able to take well worn cliches, taking them dead seriously, and still make them at least interesting and worthwhile. The only serious problem I have with that movie is:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It takes a sudden left turn after playing out like a female "Rocky". After that the movie just capitulates, it's dead, the story ends long before the movie ends. No surprises, no revenge stories, nothing unexpected, noone does anything, nothing at all - it's just "bang": fate came up with a very nasty cheap shot and there is nothing anyone can do about Hil Swank's character slowly dying. I was expecting a little more than that from, Mr. Eastwood himself

I also hated that aspect of the film, before the film was just average, not great but nor awful, I saw where the film was going from a mile away and I was thinking "please don't go down that road" and the film did and then it really went downhill and never recovered.


Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr