Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:37 am

FAST & FURIOUS 6 
Site Admin

Post FAST & FURIOUS 6
Click here for the review of Fast & Furious 6

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: FAST & FURIOUS 6
I have never seen a Fast and Furious movie... I am weirdly proud of this.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm
Auteur

Personally, I thought it was the best film in the series yet and I would definitely not call it "stupid" in any sense and I strongly disagree on the "lowest common denominator" statement, one of the things aobut this series I love is that the cast and crew listens to feedback, they communicate through Facebook(that was what led to
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Statham
being cast), I find it very refreshing for a series to have that level of fan interaction.

Anyways I thought this was a damn good film, I liked it better then any of the Bond films. The action scenes were mindblowing in scale and scope, the plane and tank sequences were absolutely mesmerizing, everytime I thought it couldn't get any more epic, Lin pushed it up to full throttle(pun intended). I also disagree on the character development, it was great to see Rodriguez again, Ludacris and Gibson had some hilarious scenes together(though I did kinda miss Leo and Santos from the previous two films) Walker and Diesel's characters both grow in the film(yes, I did find Dom and Letty's reunion genuinely touching), Johnson, Carano, Gadot and Kang rounded things out pretty well
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I was pretty sad when Gisele died, a few audiences members were yelling "no"!
. Fast 6 is definitely my favorite out of all the films i've seen this year and it's going be a tough act to follow, I don't know how much crazier this series can get. James Wan sure has some big shoes to fill with part 7.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:19 pm
Director

Taleswapper wrote:

I saw the first one. Rented it, watched it, found it to be mildly entertaining while it was on, erased most of my memory of it by two days later.

Haven't seen any of the others in their entirety. Seen bits and pieces, usually at someone's house when they're watching em. Even as someone who will admit to a large number of guilty pleasure mvoies, I can't bring myself to like Fast and Furious. I don't view them with disdain the way I do most of Michael Bay's output/Battleship. I just don't find them entertaining. But they'll keep making them as long as there's a market for them.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:

I saw the first one. Rented it, watched it, found it to be mildly entertaining while it was on, erased most of my memory of it by two days later.

Haven't seen any of the others in their entirety. Seen bits and pieces, usually at someone's house when they're watching em. Even as someone who will admit to a large number of guilty pleasure mvoies, I can't bring myself to like Fast and Furious. I don't view them with disdain the way I do most of Michael Bay's output/Battleship. I just don't find them entertaining. But they'll keep making them as long as there's a market for them.

If you haven't seen any of the sequels all the way through, how can you say for sure that you don't find them entertaining? Especially since you found the first film "mildly entertaining" Aren't you curious as to whether you'll find any of the sequels "majorly entertaining"? If I were you, i'd start with with fourth film, then the fifth and sixth and save parts two and three for afterwards.

You know how JB said that after seeing the first the LOTR film that it didn't seem fair to wait a whole year until the next? That's exactly how I feel about Fast 7, i'm already beyond excited. Though I will say that I think the next film should be the last one(i've also heard rumors of Hobbs getting his own spin-off), that way the franchise could come full circle
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dom would get his revenge on Ian Shaw, who killed Han, and the film would end with the race between Sean and Dom in part 3

Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:

Haven't seen any of the others in their entirety. Seen bits and pieces, usually at someone's house when they're watching em. Even as someone who will admit to a large number of guilty pleasure movies, I can't bring myself to like Fast and Furious. I don't view them with disdain the way I do most of Michael Bay's output/Battleship. I just don't find them entertaining. But they'll keep making them as long as there's a market for them.

I remember enjoying the first movie even though it's been a very long time since I've watched it, but I had no burning desire to revisit any of the sequels. I have quite a few friends and co-workers who enjoy them, but since these same people also enjoy a lot of critically-acclaimed movies, it would be unfair to label them as "least common denominator" moviegoers.

Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 pm
Director

The first one is grounded fun (relatively to the rest, anyway) with the best ending imo. The second one is pretty atrocious, although it looped back to "so bad it's good" territory a lot of times. I skipped the third since it looked to be the same level as the second (and it happened last in the chronology anyway).

However, from the fourth one forwards, I begin to fall in love with the series. The serious serialization beginning there helps get me attached to the characters more (a touch of regret and grimness in the fourth helps as well) and enjoy them alongsides the very cartoonish but fun-in-the-"how far can they go"-way action. And the fifth is just one of the most fun theater experiences ever. I'm glad the general reviews for the sixth one looks to be on the same level.

Though I'm worried about the next one, being churned out so fast next year, which is the reason why Justin Lin dropped out. I really like most of James Wan's horror movies, but I don't know how he will fit in with the franchise.

Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
The first one is grounded fun (relatively to the rest, anyway) with the best ending imo. The second one is pretty atrocious, although it looped back to "so bad it's good" territory a lot of times. I skipped the third since it looked to be the same level as the second (and it happened last in the chronology anyway).

However, from the fourth one forwards, I begin to fall in love with the series. The serious serialization beginning there helps get me attached to the characters more (a touch of regret and grimness in the fourth helps as well) and enjoy them alongsides the very cartoonish but fun-in-the-"how far can they go"-way action. And the fifth is just one of the most fun theater experiences ever. I'm glad the general reviews for the sixth one looks to be on the same level.

Though I'm worried about the next one, being churned out so fast next year, which is the reason why Justin Lin dropped out. I really like most of James Wan's horror movies, but I don't know how he will fit in with the franchise.
I'm not sure about Wan myself, personally I would've rather had Rob Cohen or John Singleton return(Joseph Kahn wouldn't have been a bad choice either), and I personally found Saw overrated and absolutely despised Insidious, Death Sentence was his only good film IMO. But i'm going to open-minded with his involvement, who knows? Maybe he'll deliver, the script for the seventh film has already been written for awhile now, so i'm not worried about the story.

I liked the second film more then most did, but the third film was my least favorite, mainly because none of the new characters were nearly as interesting as the ones in the previous films, except for Han, his character was the best thing about part 3, and his fate in that film ties in with this film, so you'll want to see part 3 at least once so that this film makes more sense.

I agree with you, I liked the first three films well enough but didn't really start loving the series until part 4, that's when the series started getting really good. Fast Six delivers everything you could ever hope for in an action film(sorry JB, I liked The Raid and Dredd well enough, but I just didn't find them quite as entertaining as this film) it was by far the best time i've ever had in a theater. The only other film coming out this year that I can possibly see liking as much as this one is Machete Kills(which I did see a teaser for) and maybe Escape Plan(the new title for The Tomb)

Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Producer

Really enjoyed this, and I had never seen a Fast Furious movie before. A movie that's impossible to dislike (for me at least), it's just a great time. Great action, great fun, some effective, dramatic character moments too. Luke Evans is a great villain. But I have to say, Armond White's one criticism is 100% correct: the night scenes are often too dark. Still, what I could clearly see in them, I liked. And that freeway chase was unbelievable; precisely the kind of action scene my 10 year old self always hoped for when going to the movies over summer break...and my 22 year old self too.

Lin's style is what I would describe as Bay-lite. Wan sounds like an underwhelming choice for the last one, but this material doesnt' exactly demand a visionary. Not the most memorable action movie I can think of, but I had a lot of fun.

Sat May 25, 2013 3:26 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Really enjoyed this, and I had never seen a Fast Furious movie before. A movie that's impossible to dislike (for me at least), it's just a great time. Great action, great fun, some effective, dramatic character moments too. Luke Evans is a great villain. But I have to say, Armond White's one criticism is 100% correct: the night scenes are often too dark. Still, what I could clearly see in them, I liked. And that freeway chase was unbelievable; precisely the kind of action scene my 10 year old self always hoped for when going to the movies over summer break...and my 22 year old self too.

Lin's style is what I would describe as Bay-lite. Wan sounds like an underwhelming choice for the last one, but this material doesnt' exactly demand a visionary. Not the most memorable action movie I can think of, but I had a lot of fun.

Never seen one before eh? Then I would recommend you check out that fourth and fifth films next. They make you appreciate the characters in this film all the more.

Sat May 25, 2013 3:37 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Fast & Furious 6 will earn millions upon millions of dollars, because this kind of "mindless entertainment" appeals to least-common denominator audiences

There's enough stupidity in movies these days that it seems counterproductive to celebrate it.

I think there is a lot of truth to this as I have seen 20 something drivers in their import rockets and midlife crisis Camaro guy celebrating stupidity by doing 150 khm(95 mph) on city streets even crossing the median and barreling down the opposing lane of traffic. I am not sure they know the difference between CGI and the reality of physics and death. One incident got so out of control that two cars racing on a busy artery at noon on a weekday lost control crossed the median and sent several oncoming cars to crash and rollover.With Fast and Furious opening the Toronto Police has this news release

Toronto Police sent out a news release Friday noting that the film Fast & Furious 6 débuts this weekend, and: “This movie continues to maintain a following of individuals who believe that the operation of vehicles similar to the way the vehicles are operated in the movie is acceptable and without consequences.” To those drivers, the police warned, “We will be there, and we will stop you.” Kim Brown caught up with Constable Clint Stibbe of Traffic Services for more details.

Q: How much influence do you think movies like Fast & Furious have on drivers?

A: It’s hard to say. Unfortunately some people make bad decisions and say “if they can do that, I can do that.” You can watch the movie, you can enjoy the movie, there’s nothing wrong with that. But we just don’t want those actions that you’re seeing on the screen to become an attempt in real life.

Q: What actions qualify as stunts?

A: Stunt driving really involves any chance you take with a motor vehicle. So if you’re driving a motorcycle and you pop a wheelie – that is a charge of stunt driving. Driving 50 kilometres or more over the posted speed limit is another example.

Q: Is stunt driving becoming more of an issue here?

A: It’s an ongoing issue. For the month of May last year, we had approximately 350 stunt driving charges laid [in Ontario]. So far, we’re sitting at 308 this year. That doesn’t necessarily mean we’re on a downward trend, that number is still substantial.

Q: Who typically is caught stunt driving and what vehicle are they in?

A: We’ve caught a range of offenders from as young as 18 to as old as 50. You will see that we don’t always have a car that’s tricked out, but you will generally see that it’s the faster type of vehicle; the SRT8 Chryslers, the BMWs, the higher end vehicles, they’re at a higher disposition to be stopped for that kind of offense because those drivers have the ability to get up to [high] speeds.

Q: Are there hot spots in Toronto where people drive more aggressively?

A: Yes. Westbound and eastbound Fred Gardiner Expressway, east of the 427. You still get them on the Don Valley Parkway and on city streets, but on the expressways, people misjudge how fast they’re going and they really don’t realize how far above the limit they are.

Q: When and where can drivers expect to see an influx of police this weekend?

A: It’s going to be throughout the entire weekend. No specific areas will be targeted, but officers will be driving low visibility vehicles. So don’t be surprised if you get pulled over by a car somewhere along the line. It could be anywhere at any time.

Q: And approximately how many more police cars will be out on the road this weekend?

A: That would be cheating, we’re not going to say how many. But if people make good decisions this weekend, we may not write a single citation. And in the end that is the goal.

Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 am
Director

“if they can do that, I can do that.” When people are that stupid I don't know why we should point to the media for explanations of their behaviors. We shoud look inward not outward. A 4-year-old girl jumped off a kitchen counter and critically injured herself after she watched the first Harry Potter. Instead of pointing at the movie, we should ask if the girl was being properly informed by parents when watching a movie slightly above her rating appropriateness. (4 year old is a bit young for darker PG movie right? I'm not sure on the details)

Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 am
Cinematographer

Roger Ebert enjoyed just about every single film in this series. I assume that he would have also enjoyed this latest installment.

Hard to believe that he was still here just a month ago.

Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 am
Second Unit Director

I can't believe this series has reached 6 films, and is about to hit 7. There was nothing remarkable about The Fast and the Furious, I mean it wasn't bad, just OK. It seemed to me like the last thing that could spawn a hit franchise.

Sat May 25, 2013 12:47 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Roger Ebert enjoyed just about every single film in this series. I assume that he would have also enjoyed this latest installment.

Hard to believe that he was still here just a month ago.

Yeah, I really wish he'd lived to see this film.

The people trying to imitate the stunts are morons, there was a disclaimer at the end that said something like "these stunts were performed by professional drivers and should not be attempted" which prompted some laughs the audience at my theater and I remarked out loud "yeah, like anyone would actually try that!" guess I underestimated people's stupidity. Reminds me of when Jackass got in trouble after people started imitating the stunts on the show. I say if people don't follow the disclaimers, don't blame the film/TV show, blame the individual(or the parents).

Sat May 25, 2013 1:11 pm
Producer

Regarding the accusations of inspiring copy-cat crimes: it's almost as if when an action movie doesn't lend itself to accusations of "too much CGI" people have to think up another way to bash it.

But Fast 6 is a great reminder of what a summer action movie is supposed to be, and what pretty much every single superhero movie failed to live up to. Stunt-oriented sequences based around speed and adrenaline which give the impression of realism. That impression is what makes them so exciting.

Marvel's canon doesn't even make any kind of effort to give an impression of realism. It's the 90s cartoons recycled with a new coat of paint (that new coat being CGI). You say they have good stories? The 90s cartoons had good stories too, sometimes; just watch them.

And when someone describes Fast Furious as "lowest common denominator" but sings the praises of Iron Man, it comes across frankly as class prejudice.

Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Regarding the accusations of inspiring copy-cat crimes: it's almost as if when an action movie doesn't lend itself to accusations of "too much CGI" people have to think up another way to bash it.

But Fast 6 is a great reminder of what a summer action movie is supposed to be, and what pretty much every single superhero movie failed to live up to. Stunt-oriented sequences based around speed and adrenaline which give the impression of realism. That impression is what makes them so exciting.

Marvel's canon doesn't even make any kind of effort to give an impression of realism. It's the 90s cartoons recycled with a new coat of paint (that new coat being CGI). You say they have good stories? The 90s cartoons had good stories too, sometimes; just watch them.

And when someone describes Fast Furious as "lowest common denominator" but sings the praises of Iron Man, it comes across frankly as class prejudice.
Agreed, I quite honestly found the action scenes in this film more thrilling then anything in The Avengers. It also seems bizarre to praise Avatar and call this film "mindless", one could argue that film is more "mindless" due to how one-dimensional all of the characters are.

Sat May 25, 2013 8:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:

Interesting self rationalization that I might have believed once but having an acquaintance getting her car t-boned by street racers going who knows how fast and through a series of red lights is only alive because of side impact bags and hitting her passenger side. Watching her walking with a cane for a couple of months let alone breathing sort of took the shine off of FF6.

If only it was copycats they we would not need stunt driving laws(going 50khm over limit and etc) but since they have been brought in they average 10,000 drivers caught a year. The average fine is $2000 and 30 day license suspension with 7 day impounding of your car.Yet laws do nothing to stop the sheer numbers of violators where it appears be have become a cultural norm which movie studios have tapped into(and reinforced) rather than the other way around.

Provincewide, police services have charged one driver every hour of every day since the legislation was introduced, according to OPP.

Police said some people still don't get it.

"Certainly, that's a lot of drivers," said Hayes. "Those persons that choose to drive at high rates of speed, it's a selfish decision and they're putting the lives of other people at risk.

Quote:

Class prejudice would assume all the fans of FF6 are poor and all the critics of the movie are rich. When most of the kid fanboys racing around in their modified import sports cars probably have rich parents to get that rig in the first place. More likely the word your looking for is intellectual snobbery but I think the review is fair as the previous movies had no story,no three dimensional (or 2D,or 1D)characters or memorable dialogue just stunts,stunts and more stunts which defy Newtonian physics. Nothing wrong if you like that but some people are bored to death by car stunting and when that happens all the frays in the carpet pop up and the movie begins to feel stupid. Ironman never gets to that mind numbing point by a bit better writing especially in the original movie though part 2 kind of came close.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:35 pm
Director

Class prejudice? :lol: Oh mgames, you always come up with the most hilarious way of labeling people and stuff. (And I say this as someone who prefers Fast Five to the Iron Man sequels)

And sorry, apart from my irk that the media (especially in my country) is getting blamed on everything too much this day without the emphasis on those people who did the deeds, the fact that this series is getting furthur from that original racing thing in the first film and moving towards full-on heist films also doesn't make me see it.

My university lost a well-known and well-loved senior when he was one of the victims in the public van that got thrown off the highway because of car racing. It was horrific but I never once thought to think of movies having anything to do with it.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
Class prejudice? :lol: Oh mgames, you always come up with the most hilarious way of labeling people and stuff. (And I say this as someone who prefers Fast Five to the Iron Man sequels)

And sorry, apart from my irk that the media (especially in my country) is getting blamed on everything too much this day without the emphasis on those people who did the deeds, the fact that this series is getting furthur from that original racing thing in the first film and moving towards full-on heist films also doesn't make me see it.

My university lost a well-known and well-loved senior when he was one of the victims in the public van that got thrown off the highway because of car racing. It was horrific but I never once thought to think of movies having anything to do with it.

Agreed, blaming the media is taking the easy way out, hell my cousin died in a car crash, but you don't see me blaming the franchise for her death.

Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 pm