Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:46 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Ender's Game 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 221
Post Ender's Game
The trailer for Ender's Game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

I am a big fan of the book and I have to say I am a little leery about it. The director, Gavin Hood (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), aside, my first impressions based on the trailer is that it seems so... and maybe this is just how they are marketing it and it's totally off from reality of things ... classic wham-bam good vs. evil Star Wars-ish stuff. And that's not true to the spirit of the book. The book is so much deeper than that and this trailer failed to convey that. Oh, and there is one moment in the trailer that's crazy spoiler and I can't believe they included that!

Readers and non-readers, alike... what were your impressions?


Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Ender's Game
Harrison Ford.

He's the biggest question mark for me. Will he be good, will he be a distraction... what will he be?

I'm not sure how much the director's influence is going to matter, considering the scale of the production.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri May 24, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 445
Post Re: Ender's Game
Ehhh....never read the book so from that perspective, meh.

There's nothing really wrong, but there's nothing really right either.

Though I liked the fact that they're now saying that Harrison Ford was Oscar-nominated. Probably try to fit in with the cool kids in this movie.


But I do want to know when Ford is going to say "Get off my space!" before killing the bad guy.


Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
Looks decent, don't know if i'll see it in theaters though, never read the book so i'm not worried about how faithful it is to the source material.


Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1431
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Ender's Game
I think it looks better than I expected. The trailer isn't going to emphasize the more thoughtful aspect of the novel (yet) anyway, and the parts that they edit to make it more appealing to non-readers look good enough. And, if the moment you think is spoiler is the same moment as I think, showing deeper stuff might act even more as spoiler.

I kind of want the kids to be the same age as in the novel, but I guess that would be impossible to film... Even Game of Thrones (which pretty much has full creative control) has to beef up all the kids' age.


Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 221
Post Re: Ender's Game
peng wrote:
I think it looks better than I expected. The trailer isn't going to emphasize the more thoughtful aspect of the novel (yet) anyway, and the parts that they edit to make it more appealing to non-readers look good enough. And, if the moment you think is spoiler is the same moment as I think, showing deeper stuff might act even more as spoiler.

I kind of want the kids to be the same age as in the novel, but I guess that would be impossible to film... Even Game of Thrones (which pretty much has full creative control) has to beef up all the kids' age.


This is true about the spoiler that I am thinking that you are thinking I am thinking (lol). It is pretty minor compared to what follows. I am interested in seeing how it's handled! Also I had the same thoughts about the age of the actors, but minor quibbles. :)


Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 974
Post Re: Ender's Game
I liked what I read of the book, but based on principle (Orson Scott Card is a vocal opponent of same-sex rights and spreads lies that gay men are pedophiles), I won't see it or read any of the books.

Summit Entertainment is trying to distance itself from OSC due to his anti-gay views, but as the release date approaches, they're going to need to go into overdrive if they want to make a handsome profit.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
moviemkr7 wrote:
I liked what I read of the book, but based on principle (Orson Scott Card is a vocal opponent of same-sex rights and spreads lies that gay men are pedophiles), I won't see it or read any of the books.

Summit Entertainment is trying to distance itself from OSC due to his anti-gay views, but as the release date approaches, they're going to need to go into overdrive if they want to make a handsome profit.

Wow, what an asshole! :evil: I feel uncomfortable watching Roman Polanski's films for similar reasons regardless of quality.


Sat May 25, 2013 3:27 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Ender's Game
Just so all the cards are on the table, Orson Scott Card is a Mormon and carries with him all the religious conservative baggage that comes with it.

He's also a writer.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat May 25, 2013 3:38 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
Ken wrote:
Just so all the cards are on the table, Orson Scott Card is a Mormon and carries with him all the religious conservative baggage that comes with it.

He's also a writer.

Not all mormons are homophobic though.


Sat May 25, 2013 4:12 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 221
Post Re: Ender's Game
Let"s be real. If I tried to avoid every production in Hollywood because there is an asshole connected to it, I would probably stop going to the movies altogether!

But on another level, I can respect the whole not going out of principle thing, as I also find OSC's attitudes on homosexuality revolting.


Last edited by Taleswapper on Sat May 25, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1431
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Ender's Game
It just struck me that the author of Summit's biggest franchise is also a Mormon. A coincidence I'm sure, but interesting how they got entangled with them. (Note: Being on the other side of the world and a Buddhist, I only have a vague idea of what a Mormon is. I still can barely differentiate between different branches of Christianity.)

For anyone who read a fair amount of OSC's books, is there anything worth reading beyond the first two? I got recommendation of only those, and when I asked my friend about the rest, he said "eh, up to you" and shrugged. Still, those two are so damn good, and as much as Ender's Game is a great read, I think I love the sequel Speaker for the Dead even more. Its maturity, themes, and ideas really blew my mind.


Sat May 25, 2013 11:52 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
Taleswapper wrote:
Let"s be real. If I tried to avoid every production in Hollywood because there is an asshole connected to it, I would probably stop going to the movies altogether!

But on another level, I can respect the whole not going out of principle, as I also find OSC's positions on homosexuality revolting.

I'll still see the film since i'm guessing the author will have little involvement with it. I know what you mean though, I disagree with some of Michael Bay's political viewpoints and I still see his films(but I wouldn't call his films "homophobic" or "racist" like some users on here would).


Sat May 25, 2013 1:22 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 974
Post Re: Ender's Game
Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Let"s be real. If I tried to avoid every production in Hollywood because there is an asshole connected to it, I would probably stop going to the movies altogether!

But on another level, I can respect the whole not going out of principle, as I also find OSC's positions on homosexuality revolting.

I'll still see the film since i'm guessing the author will have little involvement with it. I know what you mean though, I disagree with some of Michael Bay's political viewpoints and I still see his films(but I wouldn't call his films "homophobic" or "racist" like some users on here would).


Agreed. Just because, say, a black supporting character is a buffoon for comic relief, doesn't mean that the movie itself is racist.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Let"s be real. If I tried to avoid every production in Hollywood because there is an asshole connected to it, I would probably stop going to the movies altogether!

But on another level, I can respect the whole not going out of principle, as I also find OSC's positions on homosexuality revolting.

I'll still see the film since i'm guessing the author will have little involvement with it. I know what you mean though, I disagree with some of Michael Bay's political viewpoints and I still see his films(but I wouldn't call his films "homophobic" or "racist" like some users on here would).


Agreed. Just because, say, a black supporting character is a buffoon for comic relief, doesn't mean that the movie itself is racist.

Right, and I understand people's problems with the twins in the second film, they're meant to be a parody of white kids who try and "act" black, but since they're robots it dosen't come across all that well.


Sat May 25, 2013 4:51 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 221
Post Re: Ender's Game
peng wrote:
For anyone who read a fair amount of OSC's books, is there anything worth reading beyond the first two? I got recommendation of only those, and when I asked my friend about the rest, he said "eh, up to you" and shrugged. Still, those two are so damn good, and as much as Ender's Game is a great read, I think I love the sequel Speaker for the Dead even more. Its maturity, themes, and ideas really blew my mind.


Yes, if you got a lot out of Speaker for the Dead, you will probably be equally engaged with the books that come after IMO. I admire Card's ability to create a good level of suspense out of moral dilemma. Very thought-provoking stuff.


Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1494
Post Re: Ender's Game
Quote:
A boycott of the movie "Ender's Game" is being organized due to anti-gay marriage remarks made by the author of the book the film is based on.

A group called Geeks Out has launched a protest against the film online, according to The Wrap, because of comments made about gay marriage and homosexuality by science fiction author Orson Scott Card, whose classic 1985 novel is the basis for the film.

A message at the site asks fans to "not buy a ticket at the theater, do not purchase the DVD, do not watch it on-demand. Ignore all merchandise and toys. By pledging to skip 'Ender's Game,' we can send a clear and serious message to Card and those that do business with his brand of anti-gay activism -- whatever he's selling, we're not buying."

A series of "Skip 'Ender's Game'" events around the time of the film's release is in the works for major cities like New York, Orlando, Seattle and others.

Although a film based on Card's beloved novel -- which by almost all accounts does not hint at the beliefs he has publicly espoused and written about -- has been in the works for years, the spectre of Card's unapologetic homophobia is looming now that the film is a reality.

There's no doubt that things Card has written are mean-spirited and bigoted, with some of it edging into lunatic conspiracy-theory territory. Among his remarks were a statement -- in support of a North Carolina ban -- that gay marriage would be "the bludgeon (The Left) use to make sure that it becomes illegal to teach traditional values in the schools."

In a now-notorious essay for the Mormon Times, the author wrote that the acceptance of gay marriage marked "the end of democracy in America" and "a slippery slope towards total homosexual political rule and the classifying of anyone who disagreed as 'mentally ill.'" He also called homosexuality itself a "tragic genetic mixup."

Lionsgate, the studio behind the screen adaptation of "Ender's Game," has not issued any official statement on either the boycott or Card's stance. It is notable, however, that Card is not included on the list of talent appearing at the "Ender's Game" panel that will take place at San Diego Comic-Con on July 18.


http://social.entertainment.msn.com/mov ... e-launched


Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3769
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ender's Game
I'm not going to let OSC's backwards and asinine viewpoints prevent me from seeing the film.


Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Ender's Game
Yeah, seriously. The book has nothing to do with homophobia, and, given recent events, Card's homophobic comments and anti-gay activism haven't exactly advanced his cause. He's toothless.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am
Posts: 163
Post Re: Ender's Game
Brilliant, brilliant writer. Virulently homophobic and misogynistic.

I'm torn.


Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr