Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:05 pm

THE HANGOVER PART III 
Site Admin

Post THE HANGOVER PART III
Click here for the review of The Hangover Part III

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: THE HANGOVER PART III
The cardinal rule of doing something different is "Never forget to not suck!"

It's like Korn's attempt at Dubstep a couple years ago *shudders*

Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm
Producer

patrick wrote:
The cardinal rule of doing something different is "Never forget to not suck!"

It's like Korn's attempt at Dubstep a couple years ago *shudders*

Yeah, sounds like Halloween 3 is better.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 pm
Auteur

So it's more of a thriller eh? Sounds interesting.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

I hope there's sarcasm in that post. No one goes to a Hangover movie for serious thrills. They go for the laughs. This movie is getting dreadful reviews across the board, something the first two didn't.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 am
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I hope there's sarcasm in that post. No one goes to a Hangover movie for serious thrills. They go for the laughs. This movie is getting dreadful reviews across the board, something the first two didn't.

No i'm not being sarcastic :?(I rarely use sarcasm on here) I for one found the first film to be overrated and not all that funny, so I honestly am intrigued to see the series going in a different direction, serious thrills might just be what the franchise needs, if this was a carbon copy of the first two, the reviews would undoubtedly be even worse. Ironically Dustin Putman, who absolutely HATED the first two films due to finding them unfunny and the characters repulsive and unlikeable, actually sort of liked part 3 because of the "darker" direction it went in and admitted to finding the characters more likeable, though he did say that he wasn't sure how fans of the first two films would react to this one, not every well it seems. That actually peaks my curiousity, initially I was thinking about passing this one up, but now I think I will go see it after it all.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 am
Second Unit Director

When I saw the poster for this one, with Galafianakis and Jeong staring at each other in the foreground, I immediately didn't want to see it. Take the two most grating characters and amplify their roles? No thanks. Any possibility that the poster was misleading in this respect looks dashed thanks to James' review. I wasn't really that interested anyway; the only reason why I enjoyed #2 was because I love Thailand.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

"Piques" your curiosity. Curiosity is "piqued," not "peaked." Sorry, pet peeve, lol. Everyone please go back to your serious film criticism. :)

Fri May 24, 2013 10:53 am
Director

Well, after having seen this today, I'm not as tough on it as most critics. I still think Alan and Chow are funny characters; being an asshole isn't inherently funny material, but somehow they make it so. My biggest problem is that there are long, laugh-less stretches where everyone just seems to be going through the motions. The road-trip/heist plot here isn't anywhere near as much fun as the first two, which was all about uncovering what happened the night before. And rarely do the filmmakers even try to be daring (with the exception of that mid-credits scene-- wow), unlike the first two, which practically dared the MPAA to slap them with NC-17.

All in all, there were some laughs here, and I didn't actively dislike it. It's just forgettable and won't have you quoting lines with your buddies nearly as much. **1/2 sounds about right.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I think it's fair to see that Hangover Part II was reviled by most critics, but it certainly wasn't panned in the same way that Part III is.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:38 pm
Cinematographer

Quote:
It's sad to watch a series that began with so much promise devolve into something so tedious and irrelevant. Movies like this may make money but they devalue their franchises. Look no further than The Matrix for an example. All three chapters were profitable but the existence of the final two, regarded in hindsight as bloated excesses, have hurt the reputation of the first. The Hangover Part III is a testament to why some movies should never get made and, when they are, what the result can end up being.

I feel the same way about the Iron Man trilogy. (Can we call it a trilogy at this point?) Everything just seemed to go downhill after the first installment, although I might be in the minority on this one.

It would be...interesting to see a fourth Hangover movie. The third film's tagline? "The end". It would be idiotic on so many different levels if another sequel was made.

Fri May 24, 2013 4:34 pm
Director

Sean wrote:

It would be...interesting to see a fourth Hangover movie. The third film's tagline? "The end". It would be idiotic on so many different levels if another sequel was made.

This should do it, I believe. The studio clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in this movie since they're releasing it against the "hipper" and more teen-friendly Fast & Furious 6. While I didn't hate this movie the way many critics have, I agree that the expiration date is past for the Wolfpack.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:33 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Sean wrote:

This should do it, I believe. The studio clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in this movie since they're releasing it against the "hipper" and more teen-friendly Fast & Furious 6. While I didn't hate this movie the way many critics have, I agree that the expiration date is past for the Wolfpack.

Todd Philips said this is the last film in the series.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
Sean wrote:

Yeah they've definitely taken it as far as they can. If it continues it'll likely become the comedy version of Halloween.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 pm