Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman. 
Producer

Post Re: Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman.
Of course.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:44 pm
Cinematographer

Is it too late to start watching the MoS trailers? I've only seen them during previews. :D

Other than that, this is the first blockbuster of 2013 that I'm desperately hoping will be good. Only God Forgives seems to be a bust, so I'm just begging for Man of Steel and Pacific Rim to stand out.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Is it too late to start watching the MoS trailers? I've only seen them during previews. :D

Other than that, this is the first blockbuster of 2013 that I'm desperately hoping will be good. Only God Forgives seems to be a bust, so I'm just begging for Man of Steel and Pacific Rim to stand out.

Ironically, hearing people express dissapointment with "Only God Forgives" makes me more interested in seeing it then I was previously.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:01 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Ironically, hearing people express dissapointment with "Only God Forgives" makes me more interested in seeing it then I was previously.

:|

Why? Would you rather see a vapid B-movie over a truly compelling piece of neo-noir cinema?

Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

:|

Why? Would you rather see a vapid B-movie over a truly compelling piece of neo-noir cinema?

Depends on the film.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 pm
Director

Quote:

The issue for me isn't that, it's that the movies critics don't like have often, recently, been the ones I like. And the ones they like have been the ones I don't like. Still, there's also stuff like Gatsby that nobody liked on either side. I found Drive to be a bit elitist, and certainly lacking the rich characterizations from my favorite noir movies. But it wasn't the iron fisted assertion of money and power represented by most blockbusters right now, so it was at least worth a watch. But if you really liked it that much, might as well keep an open mind about God Forgives.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 pm
Director

As for this latest Steel trailer. I swear, I do not see this movie doing a better box office than Superman Returns. I also have doubts that JB will like it as much. The action scenes just look so messy. And in terms of sheer spectacle, this movie doesn't look like this summer's most gargantuan item; nor even the 2nd most, 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Pacific Rim looks like it might be the craziest shit we're getting this year. And the latest Wolverine trailer actually looks...maybe not bad? Like Star Trek into Darkness, I think the marketing for Steel has been slightly mislayed.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

The issue for me isn't that, it's that the movies critics don't like have often, recently, been the ones I like. And the ones they like have been the ones I don't like. Still, there's also stuff like Gatsby that nobody liked on either side. I found Drive to be a bit elitist, and certainly lacking the rich characterizations from my favorite noir movies. But it wasn't the iron fisted assertion of money and power represented by most blockbusters right now, so it was at least worth a watch. But if you really liked it that much, might as well keep an open mind about God Forgives.

Yeah, I didn't find Drive to be mind-blowing or amazing like most critics said. I do think this film looks like an improvement, I wouldn't say it looks like a B-movie though(not that that would be a bad thing).

Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
As for this latest Steel trailer. I swear, I do not see this movie doing a better box office than Superman Returns. I also have doubts that JB will like it as much. The action scenes just look so messy. And in terms of sheer spectacle, this movie doesn't look like this summer's most gargantuan item; nor even the 2nd most, 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Pacific Rim looks like it might be the craziest shit we're getting this year. And the latest Wolverine trailer actually looks...maybe not bad? Like Star Trek into Darkness, I think the marketing for Steel has been slightly mislayed.

I think the action scenes will look different then how the trailer makes them out to be. I'm sure JB will like it just fine and I think it will blown Superman Returns out of the water. Wolverine looks just OK. Ironically Fast And Furious 6 actually looks crazier then any of the comic-book films were getting this year(except for maybe Kick Ass 2)

Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 pm
Producer

Here's something a little different: a Hardee's commercial, set in Metropolis.

While I'm not thrilled about a company using the Big Guy to hawk hamburgers, it's a clever commercial and a nice bit of original footage. Cavill's expression is great.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:52 pm
Producer

NCG Cinema, 6/14 12:05am, X-treme 3D showing.

That's where I'll be if anybody wants to congratulate me on being an awesome ReelViews poster in person.

Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 am
Director

Final trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOjtFd6HcjY

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Looks like there is a lot right about "Man Of Steel". I like - from what I know so far - the organic/hi tech biomechanical Superman outfit and the mederval-fantasy-inspired suits/dresses of all Krypton-inhabitants. I like the darker tone and complex "realistic" action scenes. I like the operatic proportions and the philosophical questions - the ambition of it all. I like the look (again: judging by the trailers). And I love the choice for Michael Shannon playing the evil General Zod.

Still: (if the tune in the trailer finds its way into the final sound mix): In my very humnble opinion: I think Hans Zimmer was a very, very bad choice. This stuff sounds like a dime a dozen, generic, sound library music. The string ostinati (repeating melodic patterns) are clearly NOT played by real instruments, they sound like the sonic equivalent of a PhotoShop clone stamp tool. I hate the "the audience won't notice the difference, and it's faster and cheaper" - attitude!

BTW: I watched the "making of" on YouTube. The cameras are still (by now out of production) 35mm film (!) Panaflex cameras using anamorphic lenses. Not that I have anything against it, but why using such an old technology with tons of problems (expensive, needs time consuming lab work, shallow depth-of-field, lens flair, the need of a lot of light, cumbersome lenses which further soften the focus) in a CGI-heavy movie supposed to have a modern "hard look"? Answer: Christopher Nolan is not just the producer and probably overruled many a decision by the director. Including having Nolans fav. film composer: Hans Zimmer.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 pm
Director

Quote:
Christopher Nolan is not just the producer and probably overruled many a decision by the director.

Hmmm...well I hope that's not the case. He did deny it in interviews, and I'm inclined to believe Snyder's ego is big enough to not let that happen. 300 and Watchmen are, at times, emotional movies for me, and very good ones. He's in many ways a brilliant director and I hope he gets all the credit if Steel is good.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 am
Producer

Snyder is basically a box of good tools with no brain to put them to use. I've never seen a movie of his that didn't convince me that he desperately needs handlers. Even his best, Dawn of the Dead, is basically all mindless sensation.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:24 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Snyder is basically a box of good tools with no brain to put them to use. I've never seen a movie of his that didn't convince me that he desperately needs handlers. Even his best, Dawn of the Dead, is basically all mindless sensation.

Well I for one disagree, I think he's very talented with plenty of brains to go along with it. I don't think he needs "handlers".

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 am
Director

Most great directors need collaborators. But Nolan has come out and said he had nothing to do with the direction of this film, except to "be supportive." The Hans Zimmer score, and the Nolan connection in general, come across to me as a marketing campaign by Warner Bros. Based on all available evidence Man of Steel is Nolan's movie in one sense only: the advertising. In other words, no more than Transformers is a Spielberg film.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 pm
Producer

I'm not saying Christopher Nolan held Zack Snyder's hand and looked over his shoulder the whole time, but I also doubt he'd say so if he did.

The term "grandfather" gets thrown around to describe their partnership, which I take to mean involvement to a certain extent (certainly the provision of ideas and collaborators--ex. Zimmer, Goyer), but less involvement than what we're used to from an aspiring auteur like Nolan.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

I always saw him as Baz Luhrmann for the action film crowd. Great style. But little substance. Luhrmann has at least given us one work that was new enough at the time and had enough raw emotion to stand out (Moulin Rouge). Snyder likewise has made one movie that was actually involving and that was 300.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:35 pm
Director

Having watched the three clips (which many may want to avoid), I can say...

The Zod clip is impressive; in terms of action, far bolder than anything in Nolan's career, and just in 75 seconds. But...

The Lane/Perry clip: Snyder seems to be imitating Nolan's style. Well, maybe not. We'll see.

And Cavill's performance...I dunno. Too early to call. Superman is always a tough character in terms of likeability. He needs the comic relief scenes present in the first two films, and I'm not sure he's gonna get them here.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next