Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm

BEFORE MIDNIGHT 
Site Admin

Post BEFORE MIDNIGHT
Click here for the review of Before Midnight

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: BEFORE MIDNIGHT
Quote:
Richard Linklater's Before trilogy (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight) looks to be headed in the same direction as Michael Apted's Up series: an exploration of the human condition over the passage of time.

If that does happen it will be great. Ironically Linklater is working on a project called Boyhood.

Quote:
The film tells a story of a divorced couple (Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette) trying to raise their young son (Ellar Salmon). The story follows the boy for twelve years, from first grade at age 6 through 12th grade at age 17-18, and examines his relationship with his parents as he grows.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this. As one who considers Before Sunrise/Sunset combined to be my favorite cinematic love story of all-time.. there's no way I'm missing this.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed May 22, 2013 3:13 pm
Cinematographer

Does Before Midnight warrant consideration for placement in your Top 100, or does it fall into the lower echelon of four-star movies?

Wed May 22, 2013 6:42 pm
Director

Already knowing it's gonna be this one that gets the perfect score, but when I clicked in to the site and saw that 4 stars, I feel like standing up to clap. These are characters that I grow up with and hold very dear to me, much like all the toys in the Toy Story films. Let's just hope this time I know in advance enough not to be an unexpectedly blubbering mess in theatre like Toy Story 3. :lol:

Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 pm
Gaffer

This was a great review, beautifully written. I look forward to seeing the movie.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 am
Site Admin

Sean wrote:
Does Before Midnight warrant consideration for placement in your Top 100, or does it fall into the lower echelon of four-star movies?

It will be in the Top 100, although I'm not yet sure of the exact placement. That will require some thought and another viewing or two.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Is Before Sunset required viewing in order to understand Before Midnight? Just curious. I never got around to seeing Sunset, and this may even be a moot question in terms of theatrical viewing because there haven't been any showings of Before Midnight in my area. I probably won't get my wife to see this anyway because somehow she didn't like Before Sunrise.

Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 am
Second Unit Director

OMG I can't fuckin wait! :)

Fri May 24, 2013 11:42 am
Site Admin

Gwaihir wrote:
Is Before Sunset required viewing in order to understand Before Midnight? Just curious. I never got around to seeing Sunset, and this may even be a moot question in terms of theatrical viewing because there haven't been any showings of Before Midnight in my area. I probably won't get my wife to see this anyway because somehow she didn't like Before Sunrise.

Required viewing? No, but it will greatly enhance the experience.

Fri May 24, 2013 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

My amazing wife secretly bought 2 tickets for a showing in NYC Sunday eve.

I am so chuffed!!!!

Sat May 25, 2013 7:45 am
Second Unit Director

James,

Saw it last night. I am trying to weed through the crazy verisimilitude and come up with coherent thoughts about how I felt about the movie, and another thought came to mind I wanted to ask you about.

Do you always see movies just once before you write your reviews, or do you sometimes see a movie more so as to have a clearer understanding for your articles?

I feel like I need to see BM again before I could really have a clear picture of how I feel about it. Another issue was that this is the first time I have seen a Before movie in a LARGE theater with a full crowd. It was a little disconcerting to be honest. They are such intimate films its difficult to assimilate them in such an environment, for me at least.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm
Assistant Director

Finally saw this today. I won't go four stars but I'll definitely give it a strong ***1/2. That hotel room centerpiece of the movie everyone is talking about? Yeah, I know plenty of couples where fights start pretty much exactly in that manner. The atmosphere is relaxed one minute and then suddenly, something comes up out of nowhere that results in intense debate about past issues. I haven't been in a relationship in a very long time, but I'm sure of the movie's realism on such matters. Before that point, the movie offers many of the same delightful conversational pieces that I enjoyed so much in the first two movies.

The tones of these movies have grown progressively darker. I understand the point, that relationships over time require a lot of work to stay functional, but I hope that if a fourth movie is made, Linklater doesn't take the tone into full-blown depression. Just because you get older doesn't mean life grows less and less pleasurable.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm
Director

Although I'm way younger than both Jesse and Celine, I watched this as an unfortunate time where it hit too close for comfort. Depressed me more than it should even with the light's glimpse at the end of the tunnel. I'd have to watch it again after some space (and maybe the first two movies) to comment anything else on it.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:05 pm