Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 am

"Star Trek Into Darkness": Well, Did We Like It? 
Cinematographer

Post "Star Trek Into Darkness": Well, Did We Like It?
SPOILERS ARE PERMITTED!

The film's reception among fans seems to be much more polarized, while most critics seem to have loved the film as a gripping piece of sci-fi action. As I've written before, I plan on seeing it again sometime soon, but until then, how did everyone feel? Disappointed? Relieved? Delighted?

I just wanted to know what other Trek fans thought of STID, as well as the direction in which J.J. Abrams is steering the franchise. Personally, had these two films been generic, pedal-to-the-medal space operas, I would have been disgusted. However, I feel as if Abrams has done wonders in turning the franchise into something it previously wasn't. Granted, do I want to see Star Trek become a space opera permanently? No. But I still think that the series is in good hands.

JB's thoughts on last year's The Raid: Redemption mirror my feelings about the Abrams Star Trek:
Quote:
I wouldn't want every movie to be like this - I appreciate well-developed characters and complex narratives (two things missing here) too much. But, as an occasional way to spice up a night at the movies, something as uncompromising and well-made as The Raid: Redemption is a welcome change-of-pace.

And to be fair, the new Star Trek movies are much more thoughtful, intelligent, and character-driven than The Raid.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Auteur

Post Re: "Star Trek Into Darkness": Well, Did We Like It?
Me and my om both enjoyed this film quite a bit, when I told her about some of the complaints towards the film(borrowed too much from Khan, too much action) she just ahrugged it off.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm
Director

I've never seen any of the Star Trek movies/shows except for the reboots. Going in strictly as a movie fan, I ended up enjoying STID. I later found out from fans that the Kirk death scene here mirrors the Spock one from Wrath of Khan, but it's not the "ripoff" that bothers me. What's unfortunate is that Kirk "dying" in this movie plays out like a genuinely emotional moment only to be yanked away by the end of the movie. I understand that the filmmakers can't have a major character dying so soon if they want a long-running franchise, but if that's the case, why bother jerking us around at all?

Aside from that one rather glaring flaw, I still had a good time. It's space opera material, to be sure, but it's never dumb or illogical. The promise of a five-year voyage has me very excited to see what they come up with next.

Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm
Producer

Liked with reservations, which is the basically the same thing I said about the previous movie. But Into Darkness was an improvement for sure.

As a side note, STID sounds like something you catch from a toilet seat in a college dorm.

Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm
Cinematographer

Does anyone else think that someone new will have to direct Star Trek XIII, seeing as Abrams is busy with Star Wars?

I vote for Tyler Perry. After all, he was in the first movie.

Just imagine it: Tyler Perry Presents Meet the Klingons. :roll:

Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 pm
Producer

What's Nick Meyer up to these days?

Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm
Auteur

Maybe Neil Blommkap? I'd say James Cameron if he wasn't so focused on Avatar sequels.

As for Meyer, his last two screenwriting credits were for Hessen Conspiracy and Elegy, he hasn't done anything film related for the past 4 years, so I dunno if he would return or not.

The Wachowski's would be an interesting choice as well.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Khan and Tribble back again for more adventures.

Man, if there had only been a way to make them go back in time. Will Kirk still shag Carol Markus and leave her with his forgotten son?

While I enjoyed STID as a stand alone sci-fi, as an installation into the Star Trek world it worked SO freaking hard to get everyone to like it that it lost me.

When Kirk rushed into the radiation area I thought, Oh no. Don't do all this. Then they did. Not to mention the deus ex machina ad nauseum.

The more I think about it the less I liked it.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:39 pm
Cinematographer

I think it's a mostly good adventure movie that suffers A LOT from being virtually all rehash of the initial 2009 reboot, extreme heavy handedness (not uncommon for a blockbuster), and from the absurd decision to reenact huge parts of Wrath of Khan.

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around setting up a new Star Trek timeline and giving yourself an opportunity to create something original and different in that universe, only to waste it by making a movie that insists on not only nodding back to older movies, but loosely remaking them.

That said, it was entertaining and funny. A minor blockbuster in every sense of the word.

Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around setting up a new Star Trek timeline and giving yourself an opportunity to create something original and different in that universe, only to waste it by making a movie that insists on not only nodding back to older movies, but loosely remaking them.

That said, it was entertaining and funny. A minor blockbuster in every sense of the word.

Exactly, Peachy! I came out of the 2009 movie remarking about how brilliant it was of JJ Abrams and gang to put themselves in a position to tell original stories without being handcuffed to any preceding Star Trek lore. So to follow it up with this was a real head scratcher. But I loved the movie, though.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Producer

I thought the same thing, before we started hearing plot-driven excuses like "the timeline is trying to mend itself" or some such nonsense. It's a one-stop handwave that justifies just about any contrivance--either ignoring what we know about the Star Trek universe or regurgitating old lore depending on which is more convenient for the writers at the moment. I hate that.

It's "the will of the Force" all over again.

Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm
Director

Word is that Paramount's disappointed with the opening box office. I honestly don't see how they thought it'd exceed the first one so vastly. Star Trek is never going to be the biggest franchise around no matter how you market it.

Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Word is that Paramount's disappointed with the opening box office. I honestly don't see how they thought it'd exceed the first one so vastly. Star Trek is never going to be the biggest franchise around no matter how you market it.

They were reportedly targeting $100 million in its first 4 days, which isn't that huge of an improvement over Star Trek's $80 million or so, especially if you consider the 3D surcharges. They were somewhat successful in increasing overseas share, as of now, it's about 56-44 domestic-overseas, whereas it was more 67-33 for ST. I don't think they were expecting it to be "the biggest franchise around" (Iron Man 3 was the consensus pick for #1 film this summer, and it's not disappointing) but doing basically the same box office 4 years later is a bit underwhelming, for various reasons. It'll be successful though. It's almost made back its budget already.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

It does seem like common sense that Star Trek isn't necessarily going to have the widest appeal, right? I think Paramount's disappointment stems from movie execs thinking more in terms of bottom lines and business concepts than anything related to an actual movie. They don't see Star Trek as the niche sci-fi series it is, they see an asset with franchise potential. This one was given the franchise treatment - "actioned up" for the foreign market (the most important indicator of box office success at this point), released in 3D, given a larger budget than the 2009 reboot - so they were expecting a gigantic hit because that's typically the route they go in creating these gigantic hits with other movies/franchises.

The film will still make money and no one will lose their job over it, but when you dump $190 million into a movie, it's going to be a little disappointing to people who only care about money that they don't get a massive return on their investment. Their standard process didn't work, which, again, is probably more surprising to them than anything related to the actual movie.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 am
Second Unit Director

To answer the original topic question: Yes.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Maybe Neil Blommkap? I'd say James Cameron if he wasn't so focused on Avatar sequels.

As for Meyer, his last two screenwriting credits were for Hessen Conspiracy and Elegy, he hasn't done anything film related for the past 4 years, so I dunno if he would return or not.

The Wachowski's would be an interesting choice as well.

As I stated in the actual ST: ID (Removing the part that makes it sound like what Ken suggested) thread: Yes I liked it.

Bryan Singer had a cameo in Nemesis and he's been a lifelong fan so he would be a perfect choice. The only problem is if he can get away from X-Men long neough to do it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat May 25, 2013 3:24 pm
Producer

Yes, I liked it. It looks like it's doing fine in box office, especially since we haven't even had the long weekend yet.

Sun May 26, 2013 12:31 am