Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JackBurns wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
I love just about everything about this film. Bob Hoskins is brilliant, the theme music is classic, and it features one of the more hilarious shower scenes in movie history. ;)

Oh I loved the film. Solid performances and score for sure!

*grumbles* Your writeup didn't seem like you loved it

Sat May 18, 2013 11:09 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
I love just about everything about this film. Bob Hoskins is brilliant, the theme music is classic, and it features one of the more hilarious shower scenes in movie history. ;)

Oh I loved the film. Solid performances and score for sure!

*grumbles* Your writeup didn't seem like you loved it

You are really riding my ass on this one :lol:

Just Kidding. I tried to explain where I was coming from dude. May I bask in the warmth of your acceptance once more?

Last edited by JackBurns on Sat May 18, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:15 pm
Critic

The Earrings of Madame De... (1953) ***1/2

I will fully confess that Max Ophuls is an auteur who has largely passed me by. I saw (and liked) La Ronde a few years ago, but haven't seen any of his other work. However, I just watched and very much liked this tale of the shallow aristocracy at the turn of the century. I love watching any director who knows his way around the camera, and I enjoyed how the characters began the movie as shallow and frivolous but by the end I had come to care for Madame De...

Good film.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:

Just Kidding. I tried to explain where I was coming from dude. May I bask in the warmth of your acceptance once more?

No I see your point. I just feel that when one mentions a movie's seeming lack of originality by citing subsequent movies, it is incumbent upon one to point out that it is not the movie's fault but one's own. Like "I can't help but feel that I would have liked Movie X more if I had seen it in [year of release] before Movie Y and Movie Z turned it into a cliche." Just copy and paste that and save it for next time.

Just kidding. You earn my acceptance and my wub.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Second Unit Director

Great way of putting it actually. That's pretty much how I ultimately felt.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:22 pm
Director

Cloud Atlas
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/
Describing Cloud Atlas as "thematically broad, ambitious, imaginative and fantastic" almost does this wonderful film an injustice. It is so much more. Here was I thinking this would be an over-long, pretentious, incoherent mess (e.g. Southland Tales)... which is why I elected to skip the theatrical release. I couldn't be more wrong, and can only imagine what a spectacle this must have been on the big screen. While complex, it is relatively easy to follow the multiple story lines (which are mostly compelling - the only slight misfire for me is the 2012 thread, which features an escape from a retirement home). It is also imo 30-60 minutes too short - some scenes felt rushed, and I would love to see a longer Director's Cut. Nonetheless, this is overall a superb film that ticks all the boxes. Highly recommended.
9/10.

Last edited by nitrium on Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 am
Director

The Naked Gun

Leslie Nielsen steps into the role of Frank Dreben for the first time. Hilarity ensues. I'm sure you've all seen this one.

Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 pm
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Naked Gun

Leslie Nielsen steps into the role of Frank Dreben for the first time. Hilarity ensues. I'm sure you've all seen this one.

Have seen many times, but technically Leslie Nielsen played the Frank Drebin character in the short-lived TV series "Police Squad!" prior to the movies in 1982. Very funny TV series, but too short (only 6 episodes).

Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm
Director

Faster

For some reason, this nearly 3 year old movie slipped through the cracks in spite of the following:

1: I like director George Tillman Jr's work.
2: The Rock, while not a master thespian, has a good screen presence and can be entertaining even in mediocre work.
3: The film seemd to have many of the same elements as The Driver and the more recent Drive.

So I decided to rent it. And came away somewhat surprised.

First off, the tone of this is somewhat bleaker and more nihilistic than Drive. In some ways it reminded me of No Country For Old Men.

The Rock reminded me of his aforementioned screen presence. Thornton's cop, while not fully developed, was pretty entertaining as well.

Tillman's direction brings the atmosphere to life quite well. Also, the twists in the script aren't as obvious as they usually are in movies of this type.

It does have its problems (a somewhat anticlimactic ending, the Killer character not handled quite as well as he should be). But on the whole, this is one of the better recent action movies.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm
Director

Horrible Bosses

I love my comedy edgy, and this one has it in spades. There's not a whole lot to say other than I laughed a lot, I sympathized with the three main characters, and I thought there couldn't have been better casting for the three title characters. Jennifer Aniston in particular is a highlight; this is how you can be sexy and funny in the same role.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I'm not as high on this one as JB was (he put it in his Top 10 of 2011), but I still liked it and admired what the filmmakers were trying to do, even though it didn't always work. Obviously, a movie that deals with both 9/11 and an autistic protagonist (who I think has Asperger's Syndrome, although it's never made clear) has to tread very carefully. Some scenes are way over the top and strike a wrong note (like a yelling match between young Oskar and his mother), while others are blisteringly powerful (Oskar's reaction, or lack thereof, to his father's sixth and final phone message). Fortunately, the ending is emotionally satisfying. I think many critics were being a little harsh (46% on rotten tomatoes, 46/100 on metacritic) on this one.

Sun May 19, 2013 9:11 pm
Critic

KWRoss wrote:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I'm not as high on this one as JB was (he put it in his Top 10 of 2011), but I still liked it and admired what the filmmakers were trying to do, even though it didn't always work. Obviously, a movie that deals with both 9/11 and an autistic protagonist (who I think has Asperger's Syndrome, although it's never made clear) has to tread very carefully. Some scenes are way over the top and strike a wrong note (like a yelling match between young Oskar and his mother), while others are blisteringly powerful (Oskar's reaction, or lack thereof, to his father's sixth and final phone message). Fortunately, the ending is emotionally satisfying. I think many critics were being a little harsh (46% on rotten tomatoes, 46/100 on metacritic) on this one.

Well count me among the "too harsh" people because I thought the film was maudlin whenever it tried to be emotional (which was a lot), stupid when it wanted to be interesting (also a lot), and amazingly irritating whenever our main character was in view. Really hated that film

Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm
Critic

Synedoche, New York (2008) ***1/2

This movie didn't captivate me the way that Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation did (though, in fairness, both did require lots of thinking-about, so maybe neither really captivated me initially) but I admire the hell out of what Kauffman was trying to do and largely achieved. Anyone here seen it?

Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Meh, I don't see what's so special about this series. There are a few clever moments and a few scenes that work, and Harrison Ford is pretty much perfect in the lead but this as to be one of the more overhyped films of all time. A weak three out of four stars.

Temple of Doom
This one was pretty bad. I liked Short Round (too bad he wasn't around in other movies) but this has almost no real plot. It's basically set up and then once the group arrives at the temple, it's onto the climax/resolution. No twists. Basically the story the villagers told Indiana at the beginning was true so there's no intersting discoveries as to what is actually going on to be made. No major complications, unless you count Indiana getting drugged up and going to the dark side briefly. I did actually like the bridge rope scene during the climax, which was probably the best climax out of all the films actually until the deus ex machina bit with the British.

2 out of 4 stars just for having the best climax.

The Last Crusade
This one I would have to say is my favorite of the series. The juxtaposition between Indy and his fathers view of archeology was interesting. I liked Sean Connery's performance and thought some of the ways he was able to get in on the action were rather clever, such as when he used an umbrella to scare the birds or squirting a pen in his captors face. I liked the scenes where dad and junior bond. Of course there's the climax, which was probably the most awkward of the series. Are Indy and and his father now immortal? And what's the point of having a booby trap to protect an object that also carries a significant chance destroying that same object?

Still, weak climax aside, 3 out of 4 stars.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I had heard so many bad things about this that I never bothered to see it until now. Maybe it was my low opinion of the series overall crossed with rather low expectations, but I liked it a little bit better than Raiders of the Lost Ark, although I think two are pretty close in terms of overall quality. I liked the bonding between Indy and Mutt. A lot of material makes not a lick of sense but the low key humor helps things along.
3 out of 4 stars.

Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Naked Gun

Watched it with my boy, who loves baseball, a few months back and now we watch the parts at the baseball location at least once a week. After all that, it still doesn't get old. It is certainly one of the greatest comedies of all time from start to end. My daughter, who is only six, really loves the hot mic scene.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 am
Director

The Naked Gun 2 1/2

My wife liked the first one and wanted to watch the sequel, so I watched it with her. It's goofier than the first, but not as good. By the time this film was made, the parody sub genre had become popular, and several films had been produced in the style. This made films like this not quite as fresh...but Leslie Nielsen is always funny.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Naked Gun 2 1/2

My wife liked the first one and wanted to watch the sequel, so I watched it with her. It's goofier than the first, but not as good. By the time this film was made, the parody sub genre had become popular, and several films had been produced in the style. This made films like this not quite as fresh...but Leslie Nielsen is always funny.

I think this is the low point -- 33 1/3 feels much fresher

Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Synedoche, New York (2008) ***1/2
This movie didn't captivate me the way that Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation did (though, in fairness, both did require lots of thinking-about, so maybe neither really captivated me initially) but I admire the hell out of what Kaufman was trying to do and largely achieved. Anyone here seen it?

I saw it a few years ago, and imo is probably Kaufman's weakest film as a piece of entertainment. It was a bit perhaps overly ambitious, trying too hard to be ultra weird/abstract/complex/deep (choose a word) - the production didn't flow as spontaneously as other Kaufman scripts. Indeed the film is almost ironically autobiographical! I suspect it might largely be linked to his inexperience (it was his début) as a director. Unbelievably great performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman though.

Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm
Producer

The Stepfather 1987

What a fucked up movie. Really well-constructed and effective. Both scary and sad.

Mon May 20, 2013 7:10 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
The Stepfather 1987

What a fucked up movie. Really well-constructed and effective. Both scary and sad.

Agreed, too bad the remake was so damn awful. Though the sequels are pretty decent.

Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Miracle at St. Anna

Probably one of Spike Lee's more underated films, Miracle at St. Anna somehow manages to work in spite of itself. Sure the middle section becomes a bit muddled at times, but there are more than a few scenes of real power, such as the "Axis Sally" material at the beginning or the scene where the buffalo soldiers were denied service at a restaurant where german POW's were being served. I'm not sure if all of the jumbled elements work in conjunction with each other, but this is definetely a film that deserves to be seen.

There is a scene early in the proceedings where we see two lovers almot starting to quarrel, it serves no purpose other than to explain how a specific newspaper ended up in the hands of an important character. Most movies would have simply had a character buy the newspaper off of the stand. By setting up a scene like this, Lee appears to be asking the audience to ponder the relationshio between miracles and coincidence. Or at leat I can't think of any other reason for the scene to be there.

People are quick to point out that the film is heavy handed, but I don't see this as being an issue. Much of what takes place here is based on actual history, with the exception of the traitorous partisan amongst the Italions, which adds an additional power to what transpires.
3 out of 4 stars.

Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618 ... 840  Next